Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

slidebite posted:

I find that difficult to believe as an entry-level parts person. Maybe in a extremely labor-scarce market, like where Tim Hortons employees make (made) $20/hr. Last guy I interviewed was a partsman at an auto jobber with almost 10 years experience and when I asked salary expectations he said he was hoping for around mid $40s. Not exactly shooting for the stars.

There goes the dream. May apply at a few places anyways and find out what the low down is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That's really the only way to find out.

e: If you're going to dream, dream bigger :)

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

slidebite posted:

That's really the only way to find out.

e: If you're going to dream, dream bigger :)

Problem is I've got no clue what the gently caress I want to do. I've got a university degree in accounting and zero desire to go into any sort of accounting position. The job I have now pays alright thanks to me getting promoted rapidly but I can just tell that its a dead end career wise and I'm loving miserable there. Plus I just bought a condo so a pay cut to apprentice in trades isn't really in the cards. I like cars and mechanical stuff but no clue where I'd land something that pays around $50k to start here that I could move up with very little experience in that area on my resume.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If you've actually got a 3-4 year University degree, you certainly can aim higher. A lot of jobs out there (public sector is quite common) just want you to have a legit degree, any degree. Even a 2-year college certificate. You don't necessarily need to even have it in that field.

Trust me, don't dream to get into the auto parts gig especially if you live in Alberta as I think you do. It's a job made up of high school drop outs (grads if you're really lucky) and semi-skilled labor. Not belittling them, it's a job niche that needs to be filled but you would be in a very small minority having a University degree and you while you might make a bit more just by having a degree, you'll likely never be making what most people would call "good" money in that position.

This is probably a little OT for this thread, so maybe post about it if you want to discuss in the Alberta thread or even B&F forum.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm in a similar place and I asked a similar question in the airplane thread. I did some research and already ruled out any kind of automotive work as being poo poo work for little money, and it looks like if you must get some kind of technical job, fixing planes might be a bit better? Since it seems A) SAIT has an apparently OK airplane fixin program and B) There's demand for people who fix planes in other parts of the world outside of Canada.

Saintfuzzled
Jan 17, 2010
I'm in the market for a new (well... used) car, so dealing with dealerships made me realize... I think I'm the person who wants a unicorn, and they refuse to show me where they stash them.

I mean, sure, I know salespeople are high pressure, PITCH PITCH PITCH UNTIL THEY BUY. but it's kind of annoying when I've made it clear that I already have financing, insurance and all I want to do is see the collection of small cars 2013 and younger, less than 15K and preferably below 50K miles. I will find that unicorn, I refuse to give up.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I'm starting to think that goatse ran off with viggen.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

meatpimp posted:

I'm starting to think that goatse ran off with viggen.

I don't think that's really his thing.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
Sorry guys, my new husband Viggen has been keeping me pretty busy.

Just kidding, the forums are now blocked at work. I think they caught onto me. Now instead of using the forums, I chat with goons on Facebook all day so I don't think it's made much of a difference in my productivity.

I'm at 36 appointments shown and 17 sold now. I keep getting calls and Internet leads on this janky 2003 Murano that we have, and half the leads are from foreigners who get angry over our no-negotiation policy. :sigh:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Whatever dealership you work for Does Not Negotiate With Terrorists Foreigners.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
People from countries with a culture of haggling will take it as an insult if you refuse to negotiate with them.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I'd give up Facebook over the forums.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

goatse guy posted:

People from countries with a culture of haggling will take it as an insult if you refuse to negotiate with them.

Your one guy can't pay interest because of his religion right? Just wait until you get an angry foreign national who can't understand the concept of sales tax.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
I like Facebook, and I attribute this to the fact that my friends are not awful.

Saintfuzzled
Jan 17, 2010

goatse guy posted:

Not at all. I come from the hagglers that would haggle other hagglers and eventually end up haggling them down to the point where they'd pay you money to take their wares. Never mind that.

The reality is, it's not a cultural thing. It's an rear end in a top hat thing. Some people are just fuckin' assholes.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

goatse guy posted:

So if you tell them haggling is an insult does a rift in the time/space continuum form or do you just get a blank look?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

slidebite posted:

Trust me, don't dream to get into the auto parts gig especially if you live in Alberta as I think you do. It's a job made up of high school drop outs (grads if you're really lucky) and semi-skilled labor. Not belittling them, it's a job niche that needs to be filled but you would be in a very small minority having a University degree and you while you might make a bit more just by having a degree, you'll likely never be making what most people would call "good" money in that position.

Dealership parts positions pay pretty drat good especially if you're in management and/or getting a percentage of the sales. Nice blanket statement though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

1500quidporsche posted:

Problem is I've got no clue what the gently caress I want to do. I've got a university degree in accounting and zero desire to go into any sort of accounting position.

The fact that you have a 4 year degree puts you miles ahead of most applicants in most fields. Even if it's in no way related to the field you're pursuing, it shows you had the drive and ambition to complete 4+ years of hard work.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

some texas redneck posted:

The fact that you have a 4 year degree puts you miles ahead of most applicants in most fields. Even if it's in no way related to the field you're pursuing, it shows you had the drive and ambition to complete 4+ years of hard work.

This reminds me of my sister's ex boyfriend. He got a basic general studies degree and told everyone it was a 4-year despite it being a 2-year.

"But it took me 4 years to get it!"

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

leica posted:

Dealership parts positions pay pretty drat good especially if you're in management and/or getting a percentage of the sales. Nice blanket statement though.
Pay "pretty drat good" is relative, especially in Alberta. If the guy wants/needs to make $50K+ right off the get-go in a parts position, it isn't going to happen.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Saintfuzzled posted:

Not at all. I come from the hagglers that would haggle other hagglers and eventually end up haggling them down to the point where they'd pay you money to take their wares. Never mind that.

The reality is, it's not a cultural thing. It's an rear end in a top hat thing. Some people are just fuckin' assholes.

That's my stepdad, he haggles with EVERYONE on everything.

He's drat good at it though. He actually got NTB down by nearly $200 on a set of tires for mom's car (I have no loving clue how he managed that, I think they just wanted to get rid of him). She's riding around on some higher end Michelins that would normally be about $150/ea, I think out the door wound up being about $500 with mounting, balancing, and roadhazard. If it's related to a car, he haggles until he's blue in the face.

slidebite posted:

Pay "pretty drat good" is relative, especially in Alberta.

Doesn't Alberta have incredibly expensive housing? Or is it just near the oil fields?

Rhyno posted:

This reminds me of my sister's ex boyfriend. He got a basic general studies degree and told everyone it was a 4-year despite it being a 2-year.

"But it took me 4 years to get it!"

Based on that logic, I have a 17 year associates degree.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

slidebite posted:

So if you tell them haggling is an insult does a rift in the time/space continuum form or do you just get a blank look?

I work on the phone and through email, and they don't want to deal with me after I tell them about our no-haggle policy. I kind of wish I could see the looks on their faces.

Saintfuzzled, I have had a few people tell me outright that it was an insult to their cultural values and I took their word for it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

slidebite posted:

Pay "pretty drat good" is relative, especially in Alberta. If the guy wants/needs to make $50K+ right off the get-go in a parts position, it isn't going to happen.

He posted it himself:

1500quidporsche posted:

I talked to a guy I know in edmonton who does parts at dealerships and he was leaning towards high 40s which would be a pay cut for me but probably less poo poo then I deal with at my current job, this was before the great oil collapse though. Its good to know you can get into something else, my career is stalling pretty bad. In my line of work I see salaries of companies quite often, never seen a dealership in alberta but I've seen a couple of BC places that the parts person is earning above 50k.

Pretty drat close, and better situation than his poo poo job. All he needs to do is get his foot in the door of a dealer, the potential to make decent money is there if they pay a percentage and have a steady client base. But yeah it's not gonna happen at Autozone.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

goatse guy posted:

I work on the phone and through email, and they don't want to deal with me after I tell them about our no-haggle policy. I kind of wish I could see the looks on their faces.

Saintfuzzled, I have had a few people tell me outright that it was an insult to their cultural values and I took their word for it.

Tell them that if they want to haggle the price goes up by $1500. Then when they object to that you can let them talk you back down to the original price. Same price + haggling.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

leica posted:

He posted it himself:

Pretty drat close, and better situation than his poo poo job. All he needs to do is get his foot in the door of a dealer, the potential to make decent money is there if they pay a percentage and have a steady client base. But yeah it's not gonna happen at Autozone.
I also have some background and know guys in the field, a couple even at a dealer and I can tell you that dealers, while they might pay a bit more, it's not 30%+ more for the same basic job.

I'm just trying to give a reality check, he's not making that right off the get go and he said himself he just bought a condo and can't manage a significant pay cut. A "foot in the door" with hopes of making sweet profit sharing/management cash in the somewhat near future is a leap of faith and he is just setting himself up for disappointment.

Saintfuzzled
Jan 17, 2010

goatse guy posted:

Oh I know they'll say it. But it's really more of an insult to their personal views. They're just being rear end in a top hat hagglers trying to make you feel bad and seeing if you'll haggle anyways. It's the life of a haggler.

I don't even really haggle anymore, I'm just trying to buy a car man :(

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

goatse guy posted:

What are the specifics of your "no haggle" policy? I've always found them to be full of holes... primarily because there's a huge opening for haggling in the valuation of a trade, if there is one. Also, if someone offered you a cash deal $1 less than your asking price, would you turn down the deal?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

slidebite posted:

I also have some background and know guys in the field, a couple even at a dealer and I can tell you that dealers, while they might pay a bit more, it's not 30%+ more for the same basic job.

I'm just trying to give a reality check, he's not making that right off the get go and he said himself he just bought a condo and can't manage a significant pay cut. A "foot in the door" with hopes of making sweet profit sharing/management cash in the somewhat near future is a leap of faith and he is just setting himself up for disappointment.

I can agree there, but to say you'd NEVER make decent money is just wrong. In the short period of time I worked parts for a Mazda dealer I did very well and if I stayed and made a career out of it I'd be making well over 50k by now.

That being said, that guy is not going to make near 50k anywhere as an entry level employee.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

"Good money" in Alberta for a regular, full time, 8-5 job is realistically $60-65K+ and that's probably on the low side to what most people would think is "good" money. Good money for a high school dropout working on the rigs is easily in the $6-figures, so like I said it's relative.

As a parts person, even at a dealer, he will never make what most people would call "good money" in that position unless he is in an extreme circumstance of very hungry employers, but then his cost of living would be insane too (IE: Fort McMurray). It's simply not a high paying job here. Just like a call center isn't typically a high paying job. Maybe it is elsewhere, I don't know. It isn't here.

Of course if he gets promoted into a managerial position or something after a few years sure I don't think it's out of the question (especially with a degree) but that's not what he asked. He asked about getting into the industry.

Either way, this is really becoming a bit of a hijack of the thread and if 1500quid wants to discuss this further there are better venues.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

meatpimp posted:

What are the specifics of your "no haggle" policy? I've always found them to be full of holes... primarily because there's a huge opening for haggling in the valuation of a trade, if there is one. Also, if someone offered you a cash deal $1 less than your asking price, would you turn down the deal?

The specifics are that we do not haggle on anything, period. If someone offered me a cash deal for a dollar less, I would pull a dollar out of my own pocket to make the sale.

There are a few other dealership chains around here who claim to have a no-haggle policy, but will offer you a few hundred off the price if you walk out the door on the deal, and they are ruining it for me because people think I'm a lying jerkface.

Whenever the customer states in their initial email that they're pitting us against other dealerships for the best price, I just sigh because I know I won't win those ones. We don't always have the best prices and we certainly won't stoop to selling at a loss just to make a deal or get the cars moving off of our lot, but when it comes to what we have to offer in terms of customer service and long-term relationships with customers and their cars, we simply cannot be beat.

Am I making sense? I think I'm still drunk from last night.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

goatse guy posted:

Yep. What happens with trades, when you value someone's trade at $5400 and he/she says that if you value the trade at $5800, it's a deal?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

goatse guy posted:

The specifics are that we do not haggle on anything, period. If someone offered me a cash deal for a dollar less, I would pull a dollar out of my own pocket to make the sale.

There are a few other dealership chains around here who claim to have a no-haggle policy, but will offer you a few hundred off the price if you walk out the door on the deal, and they are ruining it for me because people think I'm a lying jerkface.

Whenever the customer states in their initial email that they're pitting us against other dealerships for the best price, I just sigh because I know I won't win those ones. We don't always have the best prices and we certainly won't stoop to selling at a loss just to make a deal or get the cars moving off of our lot, but when it comes to what we have to offer in terms of customer service and long-term relationships with customers and their cars, we simply cannot be beat.

I would pay an extra few dollars to have Harry greet me on service visits :kimchi:

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

goatse guy posted:

This is such an immense line of dealer bullshit that it makes my blood boil.

"Customer service" costs the dealer nothing. It is expected, and should be given, especially on the second largest purchase a person makes. It is not a "premium add on". Every dealer has free coffee and loaner cars. Any dealer that thinks they can charge a premium for it should not get your business. I'm shocked that a dealer that refuses to budge from sticker price and compete with local competitors stays in business.

Goatse Guy, no offense to you for drinking the corporate Kool Aid, but I doubt your dealer is doing out of warranty repairs for free, etc. Everything you try and pass off as "above and beyond" is exactly the same level of service every other dealer is offering.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

meatpimp posted:

Yep. What happens with trades, when you value someone's trade at $5400 and he/she says that if you value the trade at $5800, it's a deal?

No haggling, period.

kmcormick9, most of our cars come with free car washes for life, ten free oil changes, and a lifetime power train warranty on all new cars. We are not charging a premium for it. Our cars are priced extremely competively and in line with the other local dealers.

Haggling is bullshit and I will never work for another dealership that does it ever again. All it does is waste time and cause dealerships to artificially inflate the prices of their vehicles. Why not show the customer the price that they'll actually pay up front, instead of forcing them to have to talk to you to find out what the actual price for the vehicle?

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

goatse guy posted:

No haggling, period.

kmcormick9, most of our cars come with free car washes for life, ten free oil changes, and a lifetime power train warranty on all new cars. We are not charging a premium for it. Our cars are priced extremely competively and in line with the other local dealers.

Haggling is bullshit and I will never work for another dealership that does it ever again. All it does is waste time and cause dealerships to artificially inflate the prices of their vehicles. Why not show the customer the price that they'll actually pay up front, instead of forcing them to have to talk to you to find out what the actual price for the vehicle?

All dealers give free car washes. Most give some number of free oil changes, some give lifetime oil changes.

The lifetime power train warranty. That's a whole new can of worms. Every single one I've seen required you to do ALL services at the dealer, including any and all extra "preventive" maintenance the service writer suggests(think BG fuel treatment), so it's really just a front for the dealer to fleece more money out of the customer. If the customer tries to collect on it, they find out it excludes anything actually likely to break like sensors, cooling system, and ancillary parts. If the dealer maintained engine did seize from oil starvation, they just claim abuse or "wear and tear".
They are written by lawyers to generate income, not to protect the consumer.
I'm sure your's is no different.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

1500quid: Where are you located? I might know of a position similar to what you're looking for. PM me.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Haggling is indeed bullshit. I would much rather buy from a no-haggle dealership - it makes things simple: If their price is too high, I don't buy it, and I don't have to waste any time. Haggling seems like something that's produced by a mutual lack of respect between buyer and seller. The seller doesn't respect the buyer enough to say what the lowest price they're willing to accept up front is, and the buyer doesn't respect the seller enough to pay the asking price, and the only result is hours of wasted time and lovely feelings.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I hate haggling as well. My current car is from a well known national no-haggle chain of used car dealers.

I probably paid a bit more than I would have if I'd gone to a dealer that did haggle, but I also got a car that was drat close to showroom condition, with about 20k fewer miles than a car its age should have had, with a warranty. Even with the 40k I've added to it, it's still considered low mileage for its age, and the only real signs of age on it are the floormats, gear shift knob, shift boot, and some chips in the hood + front bumper. The lights haven't even started to yellow yet.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Haggling is basically what I live for and all sales people are my sworn blood enemies. Buying a used car at a dealer is making repeated visits so you can walk out in anger at their terrible price, park a mile away waiting for their desperate call back, then drive back and shake hands while the salesperson and sales manager grimace at the tiny margin they made. Optional: grind their finance person into metaphorical dust in a similar fashion.

I might have missed it in the above conversation, the used cars are no-haggle too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

kmcormick9 posted:

The lifetime power train warranty. That's a whole new can of worms. Every single one I've seen required you to do ALL services at the dealer, including any and all extra "preventive" maintenance the service writer suggests(think BG fuel treatment), so it's really just a front for the dealer to fleece more money out of the customer. If the customer tries to collect on it, they find out it excludes anything actually likely to break like sensors, cooling system, and ancillary parts. If the dealer maintained engine did seize from oil starvation, they just claim abuse or "wear and tear".
They are written by lawyers to generate income, not to protect the consumer.
I'm sure your's is no different.

I thought the "must have your car serviced by an authorized dealer/the guys you bought it from" was pure bullshit. I could have sworn I read it in this very thread? Either way I'm pretty sure it's bullshit. You can get your car serviced where you want I think.

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 24, 2015

• Locked thread