Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I'd give up Facebook over the forums.

Same here. I'm tired of that social, full of stupidity and you just get distracted all the time. If I had to decide where I should speak with goons it'd be SA, atleast we have moderation in here.

Here in Italy most dealers give free car washing coupons (and car washing is very cheap anyways here), I have my personal dealer that offered me life-time free car wash because I'm there every months doing something to my car/motorbike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

maniacripper posted:

I thought the "must have your car serviced by an authorized dealer/the guys you bought it from" was pure bullshit. I could have sworn I read it in this very thread? Either way I'm pretty sure it's bullshit. You can get your car serviced where you want I think.

It may or may not be, but wear and tear is universally not covered. The warranty is against failure caused by manufacturing defects, which 99% of would occur in the initial warranty period. Beyond that, how can you prove the rod broke because of a defect and not wear and tear....or oil starvation from jiffy lube oil that doesn't meet the manufacturer's specs?

The bottom line is that nobody ever gets their claim on those warranties.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

NyxBiker posted:

Here in Italy most dealers give free car washing coupons (and car washing is very cheap anyways here), I have my personal dealer that offered me life-time free car wash because I'm there every months doing something to my car/motorbike

Milan has those kickass open-air car wash parks too, or at least the part of it that I was visiting (Dergano).

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

kmcormick9 posted:

All dealers give free car washes. Most give some number of free oil changes, some give lifetime oil changes.

Must be nice. Don't know if I just picked a lovely dealer (probably) or if it's par for the course up here, but they charge $10 for a carwash at the dealer here. I've only ever had them wash (introduce a shitload of swirls too, assholes.) was after a particularly long warranty repair, and I guess they did it as a sorry for taking so long thing.

Gropes
Mar 21, 2011

It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool.
I was wondering, is it normal for dealerships to want to hire on more salespeople before "busy" seasons?

I ask because I was looking for work and this Toyota dealership had an opening for a lot attendant and I figured I could manage that. After my interview the manager actually talked me into going into sales because I was as he put it "over qualified" to be a lot attendant. fast forward a week later and I have my sales license and orientation on Monday.

My only concern was that when I was in the office filling out paperwork and stuff they didn't seem to be hurting for sales people unless its normal for them to have around 4-5 on a day. Should I be worried about working a month and then getting like a shift a week after tax refund season is over?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The only reason to buy a car is to get the salespersons commission down to $1. Destroy the franchised dealership business model, or don't because I get lazy people to subsidize my new car cost.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Except then it turns into a mini deal, the salesman never sees a $1 commission. Depends on the dealer, but if a sales manager decides to sell a car with $0 profit, salesman is still going to see $100 or more.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

goatse guy posted:

Sorry guys, my new husband Viggen has been keeping me pretty busy.

Just kidding, the forums are now blocked at work. I think they caught onto me. Now instead of using the forums, I chat with goons on Facebook all day so I don't think it's made much of a difference in my productivity.

I'm at 36 appointments shown and 17 sold now. I keep getting calls and Internet leads on this janky 2003 Murano that we have, and half the leads are from foreigners who get angry over our no-negotiation policy. :sigh:

Late post, but my experience with public WiFi that blocks SA is it never blocks the IP, just the url. It's up to you whether you feel ethically comfortable bypassing the filter, or if you're worried about getting in trouble if your IT people actually check people's visited sites.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
This weekend I've been helping somebody shop new cars for like the 3rd time this year.

Lurking this thread has given me a lot of empathy for the sales dudes I run into And in a strange kind of hosed up way, that seems to have helped my negotiation skills quite a lot.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Late post, but my experience with public WiFi that blocks SA is it never blocks the IP, just the url. It's up to you whether you feel ethically comfortable bypassing the filter, or if you're worried about getting in trouble if your IT people actually check people's visited sites.

I've wondered about this because recently we've been told we can't use the computers at work because of "viruses" and that they have put "spyware" on the computers to see where we've been. But our IT guys are off site an only come in if there's a problem, so I kind of doubt they'd even check when they're in because they're too busy fixing gently caress ups.

Besides, isn't it IT's job to keep viruses off the drat computers to begin with? Sometimes I think they leave just enough leeway for issues to happen so they have a job to do.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I just turn off the WiFi and browse on my phone if I want to check the forums.

I'm loving stoked to get back to work tomorrow and sell some more cars so that I can buy an E30.

Gropes, good salespeople are always in short supply. You can hire any idiot to be a lot attendant. Anyone can move cars around a parking lot, but not many people can move cars into a customer's driveway. Don't sell yourself short and settle for being a lot jockey.

Gropes
Mar 21, 2011

It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool.

goatse guy posted:

I just turn off the WiFi and browse on my phone if I want to check the forums.

I'm loving stoked to get back to work tomorrow and sell some more cars so that I can buy an E30.

Gropes, good salespeople are always in short supply. You can hire any idiot to be a lot attendant. Anyone can move cars around a parking lot, but not many people can move cars into a customer's driveway. Don't sell yourself short and settle for being a lot jockey.

Cool, thanks! Hopefully next time I post here ill have some sales under my belt to brag about.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah I know a couple salesmen, when they do prune the employee pool the weakest performers are the first to go. So just don't be... that.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Arcsech posted:

Haggling is indeed bullshit. I would much rather buy from a no-haggle dealership - it makes things simple: If their price is too high, I don't buy it, and I don't have to waste any time.

A bit late to this party, but this, this this. While I don't mind haggling, and I get why it's done in some places, when I'm buying a car I would much rather walk in, see price, pay price, take merchandise, go home.

Speaking of, quick question for you dealership-working folks, what's the deal with some salespeople being annoyed with me if I show up and say I would like to order through their dealership? I recently was in the market for a new car, and the Ford and Honda salespeople seemed annoyed as heck with me, when I expressed interest in ordering a Civic or a Fiesta , while the chick at the (no-haggle) Subaru dealership was absolutely fine with it, was overall super-helpfull, which resulted in me throwing a boatload of cash at them for a new Impreza.

Is a customer order not counted as a "sale" for a salesperson at some dealerships? I get that it might be annoying that you might have the exact car that I want just not in the right color, but dammit, I'm willing to pay and wait. What am I missing here? Or is it a simple fact that the no-haggle dealerships pretty much deal with the MSRP while the other guys were annoyed that they couldn't tack on extra stuff if I was ordering?

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Fucknag posted:

Yeah I know a couple salesmen, when they do prune the employee pool the weakest performers are the first to go. So just don't be... that.

From my experience, the weakest performers usually see themselves out. I've seen quite a few salesmen come and go, and it was because they could not handle the job.

Gropes, watch that ABC scene of Glengarry Glenn Ross a few times and you'll be fine.

F U C K ordering cars. Sorry, but we'd rather sell you a car today then let you promise us that you'll be back in six weeks to pick it up. You have much better odds the quicker you seal the deal.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wow....that new Av.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha who did you piss off?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Haha who did you piss off?

The pool of suspects is like 2/3 of AI.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Rhyno posted:

The pool of suspects is like 2/3 of AI.

Raise your hand if you've ever felt personally victimized by goatse guy: http://youtu.be/KDnsGF-GR2Q

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
I just don't get how the Bat Out of Hell cover art fits with the red title below it...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

goatse guy posted:

F U C K ordering cars. Sorry, but we'd rather sell you a car today then let you promise us that you'll be back in six weeks to pick it up. You have much better odds the quicker you seal the deal.
Sure, I'd rather get it today too but for some reason every dealer I ever dealt with seems to think everyone wants the same loving car with hardly any differences between them in options and generally in the colors white, black or silver.

All my brand new cars have been ordered because the dealer didn't stock what I wanted. I never had any real resistance other than them clearly saying it was going to take 8-ish weeks and needed a deposit to make sure I was coming back. Other than that, it was no issue and they seemed happy to do it.

My 4Runner was special ordered right from Japan with no real issues or pushback.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, if I'm paying 25-30k for a new car, you bet I'm getting exactly what I want. If the salesman doesn't like it, he should go work at a used car lot.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Dannywilson posted:

I just don't get how the Bat Out of Hell cover art fits with the red title below it...

That's what makes it kinda funny, it makes no sense at all.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

A Ghengis Khunt is a female PUA (well not really but same sort of thing), so given the content of Bat out of Hell the image does kinda fit the title.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So you're saying you bought the title then? :v:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Knew that was coming. I'm a petty, spiteful jerk but Goatse's never pissed me off (plus I'm between credit cards right now so even if she had I have no means to spend :10bux: over the internet atm).

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
New avatar already. I like Opeth and all but someone is really twisting the knife over losing the WRX. :smithicide:

There's nothing worse than owning your goddamn dream car and not being able to drive it. Some days I really wish the car had gotten totaled or sold, because I can't do anything about it until my dad either stops being the world's biggest loving rear end in a top hat, or until he dies. Guess which one is gonna happen first?

The WRX is really the physical representation of all of my :siren:DADDY ISSUES:siren:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Ghengis Khunt was a better avatar.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

goatse guy posted:

New avatar already. I like Opeth and all but someone is really twisting the knife over losing the WRX. :smithicide:

There's nothing worse than owning your goddamn dream car and not being able to drive it. Some days I really wish the car had gotten totaled or sold, because I can't do anything about it until my dad either stops being the world's biggest loving rear end in a top hat, or until he dies. Guess which one is gonna happen first?

The WRX is really the physical representation of all of my :siren:DADDY ISSUES:siren:

So what's the story behind it, why can't you drive it?

meatpimp posted:

Ghengis Khunt was a better avatar.

Agreed. One needs to embrace the red title :v:

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
I can't get a title for the WRX right now. I'll explain later today -- I'm on my way gone from visiting my mom.

There has never been a more fitting description of he than that red title. RIP, majestic beauty.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
Here's the deal with the WRX: my dad purchased the car brand new in 2011 for me in cash. My name is on the title as owner, but he is a lienholder. I've never paid him any money for the vehicle. When I moved to North Dakota, I listed him as a lienholder on the title. When I moved back, the DMV employee left his name off the title because there is no loan for the vehicle. Now I cannot get the title from the state of North Dakota unless he signs a lien release, and he will not do that under any circumstance. He will not sign any kind of Bill of sale to say that the car is his and that I will sign the title over to him once I receive the title, so I am unable to drive the car OR sell it.

It has current plates in Minnesota, but I am not sure if I'll be able to register it again in a few months since the title is in DMV limbo.

I just want to get rid of the drat thing so that I can tell him to gently caress off and never talk to me again, because I have had it with his crazy bullshit, but it's hard to get rid of a car with no title.

And I agree with Ghengis Khunt was way better. I could not find a more accurate way to describe myself so kudos, red title buyer.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
so you're mad at your dad for letting you use a brand new WRX for 4 years for free? Idk that sounds pretty nice to me.

goatse guy posted:

it's hard to get rid of a car with no title

pay someone to come with you and drive the wrx to his house and leave it there

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 26, 2015

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Extra posted:

so you're mad at your dad for letting you use a brand new WRX for 4 years for free? Idk that sounds pretty nice to me.

pay someone to come with you and drive the wrx to his house and leave it there

No, I'm mad that my dad is pretty nuts. He's an annoying pain in the rear end on his good days, and terrifying when he's having an episode. I left out some of the details I guess!

It is at his house. It's still in my name, though.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Nah you were pretty clear about the whole batshit insane dad thing I think this part

goatse guy posted:

I just want to get rid of the drat thing so that I can tell him to gently caress off and never talk to me again, because I have had it with his crazy bullshit, but it's hard to get rid of a car with no title.

Was confusing to me because I'm not a lawyer but if he's the lienholder he owns the car so it's not really your problem at this point, right?

Like this whole thing is super confusing...

goatse guy posted:

the DMV employee left his name off the title

goatse guy posted:

I cannot get the title from the state of North Dakota unless he signs a lien release

If the title has no lienholder in ND because the ND DMV employee input none, why is a release required to get said title with no lienholder on it? I'm trying to google around about the ND DMV but can't find answers. I know I'm an idiot but something doesn't add up.

vvv Okay thanks that's more info I can go sperg about, it's not your job to educate me on the mechanics of interstate car title transfers but I do appreciate it vvv

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 26, 2015

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
I'm on the title as the owner though, and the only way to get the title from the state is for him to sign a lien release so he can't do anything with the car until that happens, unless...? I don't know. I am trying to do the diplomatic thing and be like, "let's get the title so that you can sell it!" But he won't work with me at all. He's just being a pain in my rear end because he knows it's the only link he has left to me.

The Minnesota DMV left his name off the MN title, so ND won't release the title to MN without a notarized lien release.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sell it as a race car or part it out, tell dad to gently caress off.

Super easy!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

leica posted:

Sell it as a race car or part it out, tell dad to gently caress off.

Super easy!

As a lienholder can't he "repossess" it legally, and if she's sold it then come after her for its value? Or is that a special privilege of banks that isn't shared by all lienholders?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

goatse guy posted:

I'm on the title as the owner though, and the only way to get the title from the state is for him to sign a lien release so he can't do anything with the car until that happens, unless...? I don't know. I am trying to do the diplomatic thing and be like, "let's get the title so that you can sell it!" But he won't work with me at all. He's just being a pain in my rear end because he knows it's the only link he has left to me.

The Minnesota DMV left his name off the MN title, so ND won't release the title to MN without a notarized lien release.

I would be looking into legal action. He's already being a child. I know family and stuff but you know.... Your already done dealing with him.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
Srs advice help, I know a guy online who sold his Subaru for a couple grand on Craigslist while in college. For a newer model like you have, looks like the bug-eye model, you could probably get a $5-10k for it (ballpark figures here, YMMV). I'd check Craigslist often for similar cars to yours, and see what they sell for, then sell your car for about that price. Generally people over-value their own vehicles because they think people care about all the work they put into 'really buffing up that paint so it shines.' The absolute best way to get a reasonable understanding of price is to see what cars that are similar to yours have successfully sold for. A dealer might be willing to take care of the headache of a lien-problem car like that if you buy products from their store a lot, for example. I'd maybe figure that the vehicle is half-price with all the lien issues it has though. NASIOC forums would know a LOT of details about that make & model Subaru, if you're looking for more opinions. Maybe one of the dealer salesmen on this thread who sell cars for a living here can chime in as to whether that car is even salable at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

A3th3r posted:

Srs advice help, I know a guy online who sold his Subaru for a couple grand on Craigslist while in college. For a newer model like you have, looks like the bug-eye model, you could probably get a $5-10k for it (ballpark figures here, YMMV). I'd check Craigslist often for similar cars to yours, and see what they sell for, then sell your car for about that price. Generally people over-value their own vehicles because they think people care about all the work they put into 'really buffing up that paint so it shines.' The absolute best way to get a reasonable understanding of price is to see what cars that are similar to yours have successfully sold for. A dealer might be willing to take care of the headache of a lien-problem car like that if you buy products from their store a lot, for example. I'd maybe figure that the vehicle is half-price with all the lien issues it has though. NASIOC forums would know a LOT of details about that make & model Subaru, if you're looking for more opinions. Maybe one of the dealer salesmen on this thread who sell cars for a living here can chime in as to whether that car is even salable at all.

You're right, maybe some of the car salespeople and NASIOC experts can tell me more about my car and what it may be worth.

• Locked thread