Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

goatse guy posted:

I hung out with one of our new techs last night, and I heard some horror stories about the people in our service department. I asked him who he would trust to work on a car, and the list wasn't very long. One of our techs got shitcanned recently for hitting a customer car in the service bay.
If you work where I think you work (394), your dealer's service dept talked me out of a leak down at 59k mi when I was using a ton of oil. Later jamal pulled out 2 hosed up pistons. At the same time, they refused to honor the 100k rear wheel bearing warranty.
Admittedly, I was a moron for listening to them.

----
When I bought my last car, it was the first time I financed a car. It took like 2-3 hours to have my credit clear (which was perfect and I did get 0% and 0 down). This was in the evening at the end of the month, but it just seemed insane. Was there a good reason for this or did they just not know what they were doing? Every other time I've walked in with a cashier's check and been out in 15 minutes, so I have no frame of reference.

nm fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

It took Carmax less than 10 minutes to get me approved for a $0 down loan.

With terrible credit.

(I put $1500 down even though they approved me for $0 down - wound up being the same APR either way)

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

I had a huge rambling sleep deprived, caffeine fueled at work ramble all typed up and changed my mind.

Instead I'll say awesome thread OP and shady buy here pay here dealer stories put me in such a depressed state of mind that I'm flat out buying my next car either online or from seeing something and having the cash.

BHPH: Not even once!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Anyone who's been in AI awhile probably remembers all the poo poo I went through with my Altima.

It was from a buy here pay here lot (paid cash for it though). Biggest piece of poo poo I've ever owned (and far from the cheapest car I've owned), and turned me off from ever owning another Nissan.

I feel terrible for whoever owns it now - I had the VIN run awhile back and found out it has a lien on it. That thing was barely worth its weight in scrap - broken motor mounts, dying a/c compressor, rattling timing chain with bad guides and tensioners, blown head gasket...

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Sales manager at a Land Rover dealership here. Lot's of stories to tell. I am glad there is a thread for the other side of the fence.

The most tedious part of the job is repeating all the reasons why your trade in is not worth what you think it is.

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
I would be interested to hear about trade in values and things relating to that. I had 3 dealers offer me $2k for my Civic, and I sold it private party for $7k.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
A dealership is about as close to a modern-day feudal manor as one can get. I can't wait until the private plane owning dealer principals that suck at the teat of the manufacturer are rendered obsolete.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Lilbeefer posted:

Sales manager at a Land Rover dealership here. Lot's of stories to tell. I am glad there is a thread for the other side of the fence.

The most tedious part of the job is repeating all the reasons why your trade in is not worth what you think it is.

I have seen this both ways. I have unloaded some heaps before for way more than what they were worth then been lowballed on nice vehicles.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

TrinityOfDeath posted:

I would be interested to hear about trade in values and things relating to that. I had 3 dealers offer me $2k for my Civic, and I sold it private party for $7k.

Because your 7000 vehicle can be had at an auction for 2000. Dealers, or any business really, are in the buy low/sell high business and a private party is buying your stuff to use it. You have to look at it in the light of, if you were in a similar position, would you pay 5k more for something? No you wouldn't.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Anyone working in a Ford dealership have a "DPS6 guy?" The reddit comments are full of people (claiming) their shop has a guy who bangs out 2-3 repairs on those DCTs daily. I knew they were touchy in stop and go traffic but this makes me glad I passed on all of those oddly cheap used Focus/Fiestas.

From 'just rolled into the shop'

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 24, 2014

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

nm posted:

If you work where I think you work (394), your dealer's service dept talked me out of a leak down at 59k mi when I was using a ton of oil. Later jamal pulled out 2 hosed up pistons. At the same time, they refused to honor the 100k rear wheel bearing warranty.
Admittedly, I was a moron for listening to them.

----
When I bought my last car, it was the first time I financed a car. It took like 2-3 hours to have my credit clear (which was perfect and I did get 0% and 0 down). This was in the evening at the end of the month, but it just seemed insane. Was there a good reason for this or did they just not know what they were doing? Every other time I've walked in with a cashier's check and been out in 15 minutes, so I have no frame of reference.

I work at another store in that franchise, but I'm surprised. They have one of the better service departments.

Financing always takes forever, because we usually only have one finance person to manage several deals at once. It's worked this way in almost every dealership I've been in, and I have no idea why it is always this way. i worked at one dealership that was different. They have ten dealerships selling multiple brands, but the only people in the store are the salesman. They have an office building in a central location where all of their finance staff are located. The salesman sends in the paperwork, the corporate office employees crunch all of the numbers and send it back, and the salesman checks the customer out. I don't know how well it worked, but if it's anything like their BDC, it was totally loving awful.

TrinityOfDeath posted:

We all go by different books, but they're the same thing. Want private party value? Sell your car private party and deal with the hassle of listing it, showing it, and dealing with the mouthbreathing scum of the general public. It sucks that you're gonna get hosed on the value of your car, but many people opt for trading in their vehicle simply because they've decided that the effort is not worth it.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

TrinityOfDeath posted:

Not sure exactly how it works where you are from, but I use 3 or 4 trustworthy wholesalers. Bare in mind that the following is how we work at my dealership. Other businesses have their own processes.

The truth is that we bid them all against each other and get the highest price possible for the client. In some cases we retail the car ourself if it is a "good" car (or desirable in other words). We worry about whether we retail the car or pass it on to a wholesale after we have done the deal with the client.

Dealerships and wholesalers are not buying your car for personal usage. The point of a trade in is to make it easier to get into a new car.
I make a point of making sure my guys tell all of their customers that, quite simply, they WILL get more for it by selling it privately. Trade ins can be profitable for us, but our main priority is to get people into cars, not out of them.

Whether we wholesale the car or retail it on the yard, we have costs to take into account. Firstly, in the state/country I live in, your 2k car will likely need to have 500 to a thousand spend to get it passed roadworthy inspection. Then we apply what we call a lot fee. For a large dealership like us, this is about 1000 dollars. This is a buffer to make sure the car is profitable once wages, floor plan etc is taken into account. Finally there is pure profit. I cant remember the last time a customer walked in and didnt bargain the price down. When you factor these things together, it is no coincidence that your 2k car would probably end up listed at 7k on a yard somewhere. I very much doubt some wood duck would walk onto the yard and pay the sticker price for it though.

To be honest, as a new car manager, trade ins are generally a pain in the rear end because it is too easy to annoy customers with legitimate trade in offers, and it just adds to paperwork!

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Also, the fact that 3 dealers offered you 2k is a pretty good sign that your car is I fact worth 2k (wholesale).

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah sometimes dealing with private buyers is a pain, but really selling a car under 10k isn't that difficult, and under 5k it's easy as pie. I'd say a little bit of effort is worth 2 or 3 grand. People that trade in cars worth under 5k are dumb.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

leica posted:

Yeah sometimes dealing with private buyers is a pain, but really selling a car under 10k isn't that difficult, and under 5k it's easy as pie. I'd say a little bit of effort is worth 2 or 3 grand. People that trade in cars worth under 5k are dumb.

I beg to differ. The amount of money you lose trading in your 50k car will certainly be higher than trading in your 5k car.

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009

Lilbeefer posted:

Also, the fact that 3 dealers offered you 2k is a pretty good sign that your car is I fact worth 2k (wholesale).

I appreciate all the insights into this process. All 3 dealers gave me a quote from Autotrader trade-in, the price difference was only a a hundred between the few dealers. I had it sold on Craigslist in under 8 hours, and I was curious where the difference in price was made up. Wholesale market and all.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Lilbeefer posted:

Not sure exactly how it works where you are from, but I use 3 or 4 trustworthy wholesalers. Bare in mind that the following is how we work at my dealership. Other businesses have their own processes.

It's completely the opposite here. Our dealership loves trade-ins, and even has a separate facility just for buying cars from the general public who just want to sell their car outright. We also buy cars at auctions in order to be able to provide our customers with the vehicles that they are looking for. It's really awesome for those of us in sales and for our customers, because we provide more variety in one place.

Usually the first emails of my day are nastygrams from customers, but this was a nice first email to open:

quote:

Just as a friendly heads up, I ended up purchasing a vehicle from a different dealer. I appreciate all work and emails that you sent me. Your dealership showed great dedication in this process. Thanks!

Edit: my coworkers are awful sometimes. BDC is often a way to say "glorified appointment setter," and we get paid based on how many appointments show up and purchase cars. I was off of work yesterday, and I came into work to two sticky notes on my desk. Each of them had a customer's name on it, but no other information. Not, "this person called," or "this person showed up." Nothing. Jesus Christ this is like basic rear end secretary poo poo.

goatse guy fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 24, 2014

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

TrinityOfDeath posted:

I appreciate all the insights into this process. All 3 dealers gave me a quote from Autotrader trade-in, the price difference was only a a hundred between the few dealers. I had it sold on Craigslist in under 8 hours, and I was curious where the difference in price was made up. Wholesale market and all.

The other factor with a dealership is reconditioning. Recon involves a safety inspection + parts + smogging the vehicle + cleaning product + price of man hours + some additional factors, some dealers (usually new ones) also floor (http://www.sba.gov/content/what-floor-plan-financing) used vehicles if they don't have enough operating capital so that's extra incurred cost vs just offing a car as is on craigslist. Also, there is a lot more recourse on a dealer sold vehicle than in a private party sale. On top of that is the fact that cars on a used lot won't go up in price, only down.

As goatse guy was saying, there are a few different pricing methods. Kelley Blue Book, Black Book, and NADA are the main 3 used in this region, but there's also Edmunds which I honestly know nothing about since we never used it. KBB is the most popular one because customers have heard of it, pricing updates are on a bi-monthly basis. Black Book uses current market data from auctions/sales and is up to date as of time of phone app usage which is what dealers typically use at auction. NADA is more or less like the blue book and they like to say they're the official book because they're the "National Automobile Dealers Association" book, but it doesn't account for all the nuances that KBB and black book do. In the early 80's we started putting both the bluebook and our dealer selling price on the vehicle and would gladly show the customer how it worked including a complete book out of the vehicle + or - mileage, not too many dealers liked that but it put us at the top of the heap for customer satisfaction in the area because people would know exactly what they were purchasing.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

Anyone who's been in AI awhile probably remembers all the poo poo I went through with my Altima.

It was from a buy here pay here lot (paid cash for it though). Biggest piece of poo poo I've ever owned (and far from the cheapest car I've owned), and turned me off from ever owning another Nissan.

I feel terrible for whoever owns it now - I had the VIN run awhile back and found out it has a lien on it. That thing was barely worth its weight in scrap - broken motor mounts, dying a/c compressor, rattling timing chain with bad guides and tensioners, blown head gasket...

At least you weren't the guy with the $45k 3 year lease on an altima.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

When buying a used car from a Honda dealership I was sat with the sales guy before paying, making idle chat. I mentioned I'd checked the tax on it and how it'd be going up by £5 in a few months so good job I bought when I did.

The fucker adjusted the invoice up by £5 right in front of me. Gained £5, guaranteed I'd never bring it in there for service, trade-in, or to buy another car.

I feel a little sorry for people who buy cars that go through the "we buy any car" places; when I sold it to one of them some years later (with warning signs on the transmission) the guy never even started it up, just checked the paintwork for scratches.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Arachnamus posted:

When buying a used car from a Honda dealership I was sat with the sales guy before paying, making idle chat. I mentioned I'd checked the tax on it and how it'd be going up by £5 in a few months so good job I bought when I did.

The fucker adjusted the invoice up by £5 right in front of me. Gained £5, guaranteed I'd never bring it in there for service, trade-in, or to buy another car.

I feel a little sorry for people who buy cars that go through the "we buy any car" places; when I sold it to one of them some years later (with warning signs on the transmission) the guy never even started it up, just checked the paintwork for scratches.

You didn't, I don't know, call him on this bullshit when it happened? I mean it's just 5 quid but poo poo, I would have walked right then on general principal.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Terrible Robot posted:

You didn't, I don't know, call him on this bullshit when it happened? I mean it's just 5 quid but poo poo, I would have walked right then on general principal.

I went to my bank today and spend half an hour arguing over a £0.19 charge on my account that was unjust. If someone had done this to me and wouldn't change it, I'd be out of my chair and telling them they have until I reach the door to change it back.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Arachnamus posted:

We buy any car, but it doesn't mean we'll sell all of them. We send a lot of lovely cars off to auction.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lilbeefer posted:

I beg to differ. The amount of money you lose trading in your 50k car will certainly be higher than trading in your 5k car.

You missed my point. Selling a sub 5k car is relatively easy because most people have the cash. Why trade it in. Good luck selling a 50k car private party though, that's where trading becomes more appealing.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

leica posted:

You missed my point. Selling a sub 5k car is relatively easy because most people have the cash. Why trade it in. Good luck selling a 50k car private party though, that's where trading becomes more appealing.

Your experience in selling private party is much different than mine. Craigslist drives me batty and I would rather junk a car than deal wth the flakes, joyriders, and hagglers ever again.

I hate selling uber-cheap cars here at the dealership too. The sub-3k cars attract the worst kinds of buyers.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

goatse guy posted:

Your experience in selling private party is much different than mine. Craigslist drives me batty and I would rather junk a car than deal wth the flakes, joyriders, and hagglers ever again.

I hate selling uber-cheap cars here at the dealership too. The sub-3k cars attract the worst kinds of buyers.

All of that a million times over. The cheaper the car the worse the buyer, especially from cars listed on craigslist. People want to talk price before they even look at it, first question is usually "is it available?" followed by "what is the least price?"

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

keykey posted:

All of that a million times over. The cheaper the car the worse the buyer, especially from cars listed on craigslist. People want to talk price before they even look at it, first question is usually "is it available?" followed by "what is the least price?"

That's been my experience here. But in the $4-7k range it seems easier to weed out the dreamers and just get decent buyers.

I sold both of my last vehicles (at respective ends of that range) to the second or third person to see them. No problems. And several other flips in that range with rarely a problem.

Some of this might be experience. If people act retarded on first contact I'll just tell them it's not available or just not respond back at all if it's email. I'm getting pretty good at picking them out early on.

People who want to negotiate price before seeing it are usually told: I negotiate in person, after you've seen and driven it with cash in your hand. It's 50/50 on whether they show up and buy it or get pissed off an never contact me again. I'm fine either way.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

keykey posted:

"What's wrong with it?"
"Has it been inspected?"
"Can I finance?"
"I can't come in until next week, can you hold it until then?"
"I live in Florida, will you ship?"
"There is an accident reported on the AutoCheck, can you give me any information on it?"
"Do you have any service records?"
"Is there rust?"
"Is there any kind of guarantee that comes with this car?"

We had a $1900 Subaru Legacy listed on our dealership website a few days ago. I got all of these questions and more on the car. I made several appointments on the car, and all of them flaked. Now that the car is sold, I've got several people pouting and refusing to be sold on any of my other suggestions. Sorry dude, but a running and driving car isn't going to last long at that price, especially when it's AWD. People here are convinced that they will die in the winter without it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

keykey posted:

This post is pretty funny coming from you of all people. I'd rather deal with CL versus a dealer for a $5k car, both buying and selling.

I need to see how much a dealership will take for my Mazda2. Gonna trade in all 100 of these ponies in for an ND; not looking forward to the process unless if Mazdaspeed has S-Plan available on it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Motronic posted:

That's been my experience here. But in the $4-7k range it seems easier to weed out the dreamers and just get decent buyers.

This. I've done it enough that it's not a big deal. I'll never buy a new car though so it will never be an issue for me, I can see other people not willing to do it though. But there's no way I could ever justify losing out on a couple grand though just because I didn't want the hassle of selling a car.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Phone posted:

I need to see how much a dealership will take for my Mazda2. Gonna trade in all 100 of these ponies in for an ND; not looking forward to the process unless if Mazdaspeed has S-Plan available on it.

Check out KBB. I have some lovely spiel about this that I copy+paste into every email request for a sight-unseen trade-in value because it's pretty accurate as far as what you're going to get for your car.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Phone posted:

This post is pretty funny coming from you of all people.

Look, I'm flattered that you have some sort of a weird hard on for me, but you're being overbearing and I feel we need time apart. Besides, I'm straight and it'd never work out between us.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
Speaking of customers wanting trade-in values sight-unseen, I present to you this.

quote:

Hi AJ,

No offense, but the trade-in value online for my NASCAR was $1500???

You're going to have to do a lot better on that to even get my attention.

Rob
Leading the world in "cool" since 1964.

He has a 2001 Dodge Stratus coupe.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

goatse guy posted:

Edit: my coworkers are awful sometimes. BDC is often a way to say "glorified appointment setter," and we get paid based on how many appointments show up and purchase cars. I was off of work yesterday, and I came into work to two sticky notes on my desk. Each of them had a customer's name on it, but no other information. Not, "this person called," or "this person showed up." Nothing. Jesus Christ this is like basic rear end secretary poo poo.

How do you like the BDC? The one at our store is right next to my office and I like all of the people in there, very relaxed and chill environment. I've been wanting to switch to sales at Mazda but they don't have any openings at the moment and the BDC does. I had inquired about going to MINI but I think they filled those positions with BMW leftovers

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I worked one summer during college at Ferrari of Silicon Valley.

It was really boring for the most part, although occasionally we got to do customer delivery of cars up into the Los Gatos Hills.

Highlight was one day some guy came in wearing jorts and a hawaiian shirt and was just casually looking around. I ended up chatting with him because no one else approached him. He said "I want to trade a couple of cars and get some new toys." I asked what he was trading in. He pointed across the street where it turned out no one had seen him park a Lamborghini Diablo. Turned out the guy was cofounder of Borland and worth a hundred million dollars. He ended up buying an NSX, S500, F550. Then the dealer owner tried to hose me by saying because it was such a big deal it was a "corporate client" and I wouldn't get any commission. So I quit, sued, and ended up winning $15,000. Thus ends my experience in car sales.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Nodoze posted:

How do you like the BDC? The one at our store is right next to my office and I like all of the people in there, very relaxed and chill environment. I've been wanting to switch to sales at Mazda but they don't have any openings at the moment and the BDC does. I had inquired about going to MINI but I think they filled those positions with BMW leftovers

I love it, but it's not for everyone. I'm okay with being an office drone. My coworkers? Not so much. They're social butterflies who like to interact with people, but I'm happy sitting behind my desk all day and answering phones, updating spreadsheets, and mailing out hundreds of flyers. I'd be okay with never talking to anyone at work, but they're a bunch of chatty rear end fucks. If you're okay with monotony and drudgery, go for it.

You experience will vary, of course. In some of the stricter dealerships, they frown upon any kind of salesmanship and have told me that I'm not there to sell cars -- I'm there to sell appointments. Those dealerships encouraged me to lie in order to get the customer in the door and were generally lovely places to work. My first dealership had me do every part of the sales process up until delivering a car, so I negotiated prices and got finance information for them. My current dealership is somewhere in between -- I do everything I can to find the perfect car for the customer and get them in the door, but as soon as they have really specific questions about numbers and payments or when they come in the door, I turn it over to sales.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Comrade Flynn posted:

Then the dealer owner tried to hose me by saying because it was such a big deal it was a "corporate client" and I wouldn't get any commission. So I quit, sued, and ended up winning $15,000. Thus ends my experience in car sales.

That's the kind of poo poo that gives dealers a bad name. Glad you won.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Unfortunately that kind of horseshit isn't restricted to dealerships, I'm sure it happens anytime someone who is not normally expected to make a sale actually does bring one in. Heck, in software even.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Before switching my major to business management, I was a software engineering major. The reason I switched was because I did an internship for a semester at large international networking corporation in the software integration area. Long story short during my internship I saw people getting paid routinely in the 60k-80k range in the mid 90's, but they were working 70-80 hours a week. Essentially they had 2 full time jobs where they were pulling 30k-40k a year in each to makeup for the time. Some commuted so that took an additional hit on salary and time to make up the difference. Long story short, every line of work has its lovely wage/management/business practice stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
keykey, the restaurant industry is the same way. I finally walked out of my lucrative management job because I could no longer justify violating labor laws and treating my employees as less than human to give myself a bigger paycheck.

• Locked thread