Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm at the point now where I'm flying fairly consistently within flight test standards, but I feel like I'm not really improving. My cockpit management and general situational awareness is definitely getting better I'd say, but I feel like I'm still... well, thankful that the acceptable flight test standards are where they are and not a few degrees/50 feet more precise. Other than keeping a more consistent eye on things to make sure I arrest any deviations ASAP, is there anything I can do to improve that and feel more confident? Or do I just accept that, on a bumpy day, you pretty much need +/-100 ft in slow flight or steep turns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Go fly with a friend (non cfi) and sit in the right seat. Do a cross country or something while this pilot flies the entire route.

You will immediately start to better understand your own flying, as well as being able to critique his flying.

It'll help you get over your own shortcoming by being able to see them in others. Maybe.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Captain Apollo posted:

Go fly with a friend (non cfi) and sit in the right seat. Do a cross country or something while this pilot flies the entire route.

You will immediately start to better understand your own flying, as well as being able to critique his flying.

It'll help you get over your own shortcoming by being able to see them in others. Maybe.

That's a great idea, I'll try to do that! I've never been in the cockpit except as a student or PIC, I can definitely see how observing someone else would give me more insight into my own mistakes.

Edit: the only issue is that I feel good about my departure, enroute and arrival procedures, it's just the upper air work I need to work on, and I don't think we're allowed to do that with passengers at the flying club, so I'd have to find someone with their own plane. It's probably something I could address with practice too, of course.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 18, 2017

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

Butt Reactor posted:

Ugh starting tomorrow it's that time of year again where this will be the soundtrack to my life for the next 3 days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FwwBYzU2gE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-knyUBbpgI

hjp766 fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 18, 2017

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

PT6A posted:

I'm at the point now where I'm flying fairly consistently within flight test standards, but I feel like I'm not really improving. My cockpit management and general situational awareness is definitely getting better I'd say, but I feel like I'm still... well, thankful that the acceptable flight test standards are where they are and not a few degrees/50 feet more precise. Other than keeping a more consistent eye on things to make sure I arrest any deviations ASAP, is there anything I can do to improve that and feel more confident? Or do I just accept that, on a bumpy day, you pretty much need +/-100 ft in slow flight or steep turns?

Sounds like your scan is still developing. It will continue to develop the entire time you fly and is entirely perishable too. If I haven't flown in a while my scan usually takes a few minutes to lock on. Just keep your eyes moving rapidly in whatever pattern works for you.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Bob A Feet posted:

Sounds like your scan is still developing. It will continue to develop the entire time you fly and is entirely perishable too. If I haven't flown in a while my scan usually takes a few minutes to lock on. Just keep your eyes moving rapidly in whatever pattern works for you.

Yeah, I think it's probably a combination of this and (specifically yesterday) the light-to-moderate turbulence -- I was recognizing deviations quickly at least, I just wasn't correcting them as well as I wanted to. Establishing and maintaining straight-and-level slow flight was decent, but things got a bit hairier when doing turns in slow flight at the CPL standard (20 degrees of flaps and 30 degrees of bank). Still within flight test standards, just feeling like I was constantly fighting the plane to maintain airspeed, altitude and angle of bank at the same time -- largely because the airspeed would jump back and forth 5-10 knots with turbulence. Same thing with steep turns -- the first 180 turn went well, but I lost around 80 feet in the transition to the opposite direction 180, and then I wasn't particularly stable throughout the rest of that turn back to my original heading as I tried to regain the altitude while maintaining the specified angle of bank. Looking back on it now, I think I just need more practice, especially in challenging conditions like those I was flying in yesterday. It was just a bit frustrating because I know I have been flying better (albeit on less challenging days).

In other news, I'm planning an alternate route for my long cross country because I'll be damned if Regina's garbage weather fucks me over again, so I've decided to go to Peace River. Funny story: it's pretty much on the edge of all three VNCs it's on. I decided to just buy the one that I needed for the rest of the flight, and just hope that I don't need to go more than 5-10nm north of the airport. I still have GPS and ForeFlight, and there's a VOR nearby, so barring something going seriously wrong with my plane, my navigation and my iPhone all at once, I'll be fine.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Butt Reactor posted:

Was this on climb out, or descent? And instead of underwear maybe buy a steak instead for surviving that pants-making GBS threads incident.

Base to final turn landing OMA. My fms was inop so I was leaned over using the captains to sequence the approach when *BANG*. Sounded like a gunshot. My first thought was that a window had shattered or the o2 bottle had blown its over pressure disk. After a second my captain said he had seen a flash through the landing light and thought it was a bird strike. Post landing inspection revealed a switch light was popped out of the overhead panel and there was a 4' long trail of bird guts on the fuselage starting just over my windscreen. It was the last flight of the night so we wrote it up and went to bed. I flew the same plane a few days later and now there's a patch job on the fuselage so it must have done some damage to the skin.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I think the requirement for a 300nm radius cross country for the Canadian CPL is less about flying experience and more about teaching, through experience, how loving hard it is to get a day with a 300nm-wife weather window for 6-7 hours at a time in this country.

I suppose the TAF could be wildly wrong, but assuming it's even close to accurate, tomorrow will be my fifth weather cancellation...

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
TAFs are done by a team of weather forecasters. When I moved from the South to the MidWest I was constantly amazed how terrible the TAFs were all of a sudden. Then I went to a NWS event and it turned out they had to hire 3 baby weathermen within 6 months.

Explained that!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

TAFs are done by a team of weather forecasters. When I moved from the South to the MidWest I was constantly amazed how terrible the TAFs were all of a sudden. Then I went to a NWS event and it turned out they had to hire 3 baby weathermen within 6 months.

Explained that!

Well in this case they were accurate: visibility 1 1/4SM, ceilings at 300'. It's forecast to improve all the way to marginal VFR in 10 hours or so, though!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I'm having a brain fart: when reporting outside temperature while in flight, do you give SAT or RAT? Reporting some light icing this morning and they asked for the temp at altitude for the first time in forever.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Rolo posted:

I'm having a brain fart: when reporting outside temperature while in flight, do you give SAT or RAT? Reporting some light icing this morning and they asked for the temp at altitude for the first time in forever.

SAT I'd imagine since they'd want to know what the temperature of the Static Air was to know more about the icing conditions.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That's what I've been doing but the other pilot disagrees. I always assume SAT because RAT changes with speed.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Passed my PPL written test today!

Almost didn't get to take it because my instructor wrote the test endorsement in my log book as "Private Pilot Airplane Single Engine Land" instead of just "Private Pilot Airplane" and the lady at the testing center flipped out about it and had me go have him rewrite it.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Rolo posted:

That's what I've been doing but the other pilot disagrees. I always assume SAT because RAT changes with speed.

The other pilot is dumb, static provides meaningful information whereas a guy going 290 kts and a guy doing 150 would have a totally different exposure to icing as your wing is being "heated" by friction essentially.

Grats, Nuggan!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I figured, thanks. He's a great pilot, probably just got told the wrong thing at some point and didn't think too much about it.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
He's only kind of dumb. SAT gives the more consistent answer (since it's unmodified by speed), but RAT is the more meaningful one for determining if the ice is gonna form. It's just that the anyone listening had to be flying the same speed.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Flight service is looking for the ambient outside air temperature for a PIREP, so whatever doo-dad you guys have up there that tells you something close to OAT is preferable.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

PT6A posted:

I suppose the TAF could be wildly wrong, but assuming it's even close to accurate, tomorrow will be my fifth weather cancellation...

...aaaand today is the sixth. Let's try again next week!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
gently caress you, I have the remote. Hope you like generic low volume documentaries, go to any of the other 8 TV's in this building if you have to watch Fox right now.

I'm in the pilot lounge.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rolo posted:

gently caress you, I have the remote. Hope you like generic low volume documentaries, go to any of the other 8 TV's in this building if you have to watch Fox right now.

I'm in the pilot lounge.

You are in every pilot lounge in the US.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Dude walked in.

"There's no DVD player! Guess we're watching Fox!"

Guess you're loving not? It's always the same charter company, too.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME APOLOGIST HAS LOGGED ON

Rolo posted:

Dude walked in.

"There's no DVD player! Guess we're watching Fox!"

Guess you're loving not? It's always the same charter company, too.

What?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Some dude came in while me and the other pilot were the only guys in the lounge watching a show. He looks for a place to insert his DVD in the tv we're watching, can't find one, so decides that we're going to watch his news channel instead, which is already playing on every other tv in the building. There was no asking, just assuming it'd happen.

It was just so incredibly rude, and I'm starting to become biased against this company's pilots because they're consistently obnoxious around people that are trying to quietly relax.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I just come in and file loudly over the phone and stand in front of the TV.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
I'm sitting ina big airport waiting for a flight... can I flash my student license somewhere and be allowed in the pilot lounges?

Edit:Don't see a way in to the FBO now that I'm past security in he terminal.

Nuggan fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 29, 2017

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

Nuggan posted:

I'm sitting ina big airport waiting for a flight... can I flash my student license somewhere and be allowed in the pilot lounges?

Edit:Don't see a way in to the FBO now that I'm past security in he terminal.

This is a joke post, right?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Two Kings posted:

Hey if either of you guys aren't feeling too well during the flight *awkwardly shuffling through wallet for certificate* I'm a student pilot and I'll be in the back.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

e.pilot posted:

Hey if either of you guys aren't feeling too well during the flight *awkwardly shuffling through wallet for certificate* I'm a student pilot and I'll be in the back.

"I've seen Executive Decision so I know I can do it."

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
One time I was going to miss a commercial flight so I showed my commercial pilots license and was taken quickly through security.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

Two Kings posted:

I saw a few pilots having some food between flights so I sat next to them and waited for my moment where they were all taking a bit e at the same time so I could blurt out "I'm a student pilot". They all stood up and clapped and so did everyone else in the airport. One of them was flying my plane and he let me sit on his lap and steer for half the flight.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Nuggan posted:

One of them was flying my plane and he let me sit on his lap and steer for half the flight.

What was Sully like?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

One time back at the regional the FA let a guy through thinking he was a jumpseater asking for permission, and it was some sperg trying to brag to us that he is a trained pilot and flies his friends [generic light prop twin] sometimes, while we were running our numbers and checklists running late. Once we realized he wasn't in CASS we looked at each other and I wordlessly leaned back and closed the door in his face.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Back several years ago, I knew someone who at least claimed to have gotten a ride in the jump seat as a non crew member or airline employee. We were training at a now defunct flight school partner for an airline and our badges had the logo and what it on them. Students weren't eligible for flight privileges but instructors were and our badges looked similar. Needless to say he claimed to have shown up at an airport, flashed his badge and talked his way into the jump seat. This was like 2005 or 06 and I'm guessing things are far tighter now than even back then. I think this was also common at this airport and the gate agents were familiar with this process of instructors hopping on flights and saw nothing out of the ordinary.

Does this seem possible? Without going into too much detail for security reasons, is the process pretty involved or does this seem plausible?

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 30, 2017

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I guess it's plausible if the TSA agents were not thorough on checking his badge and just let him into the security line, and then he lucked out again with the gate agent. If the airline had an agreement with the flight school then they were possibly giving free rides to the instructors without a CASS verification (they wouldn't be in CASS?) and without checking Nonrev database. It's possible, but Occam's Razor dictates that he was simply lying for attention. There is no way he lucked out again on the way back from a different airport.

I miss many things about general aviation but interacting with the losers that converge on flight schools is not one of those things.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

i am kiss u now posted:

Back several years ago, I knew someone who at least claimed to have gotten a ride in the jump seat as a non crew member or airline employee. We were training at a now defunct flight school partner for an airline and our badges had the logo and what it on them. Students weren't eligible for flight privileges but instructors were and our badges looked similar. Needless to say he claimed to have shown up at an airport, flashed his badge and talked his way into the jump seat. This was like 2005 or 06 and I'm guessing things are far tighter now than even back then. I think this was also common at this airport and the gate agents were familiar with this process of instructors hopping on flights and saw nothing out of the ordinary.

Does this seem possible? Without going into too much detail for security reasons, is the process pretty involved or does this seem plausible?

Was this the school where Being Airline Owned Means Everything and the student IDs were horizontally-opposed with the words "This ID not valid for flight privileges" in a red box at the bottom?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
hard to imagine that would have flown even in 2006, certainly wouldn't today.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Rolo posted:

Some dude came in while me and the other pilot were the only guys in the lounge watching a show. He looks for a place to insert his DVD in the tv we're watching, can't find one, so decides that we're going to watch his news channel instead, which is already playing on every other tv in the building. There was no asking, just assuming it'd happen.

It was just so incredibly rude, and I'm starting to become biased against this company's pilots because they're consistently obnoxious around people that are trying to quietly relax.

This is why, when I somehow manage to secure a recliner in a pilot lounge, I change the tv to MSNBC or The View or something really offensive to NetJets pilots and hide the remote by my seat cushion. Then I pretend to be asleep while some bozo carrying a crew meal gets wound up about missing a few minutes of Fox News or the Military Channel.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I know of at least one instance where a controller flashed his FAA ID, insinuated (but never outright stated) that he was an inspector, and snagged a jumpseat.

He almost got fired. (He should have gotten fired.)

This was pre-2001, though.

Post 2001, I've walked through TSA checkpoints (not pax checkpoints, but airport employee checks) with a rifle case with absolutely no questions asked. I put nothing past TSA incompetence.

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-american-airlines-raises-20170427-story.html

Is there absolutely anyone that wants to take a crack at playing the devil's advocate here, or can we skip to the part where we start eating the rich?

quote:

American Airlines is giving pay raises to its pilots and flight attendants, who have complained they are paid less than peers at other airlines. Wall Street isn't happy.

The raises come about two years before contract negotiations. Assuming they approve the increases, pilots and flight attendants will receive additional pay totaling close to $1 billion over three years.

quote:

Chief Executive Doug Parker told analysts that the out-of-contract raises “might surprise or even dismay some of you because it adds costs to the airline.”
Parker called the raises an investment in the company that will lead to better service by employees and, eventually, higher revenue.

:unsmith:

It's almost like Doug Parker understands.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 30, 2017

• Locked thread