Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Citi analyst Kevin Crissey will be first against the wall when the revolution comes. An unusual move by American, and bet your rear end they'll want it back when they declare bankruptcy again, but it's nice while it lasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

ausgezeichnet posted:

This is why, when I somehow manage to secure a recliner in a pilot lounge, I change the tv to MSNBC or The View or something really offensive to NetJets pilots and hide the remote by my seat cushion. Then I pretend to be asleep while some bozo carrying a crew meal gets wound up about missing a few minutes of Fox News or the Military Channel.

Hey how did you know exactly who I was taking about? I was being so vague :iamafag:

And this is a good idea, the other pilot will totally roll with me on this. He haaaates when they get super entitled around other pilots.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Seriously, what is the deal with pilots and Fox News. :iiam:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

e.pilot posted:

I don't think it's that hard to see the reason.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

e.pilot posted:

It's an industry dominated by old white dudes, that has traditionally drawn a large percentage of said white dudes from the Air Force.

I'm based in Idaho, and we had at least one captain who got a visit from the Secret Service when Obama was in Boise a couple of years ago (and was pissed the company wouldn't give him time off to join the Bundy idiots in Oregon) , since he'd apparently made enough comments about shooting the President to draw some law enforcement attention. I've also flown with several captains who genuinely believe the whole "Benghazi was an inside job by Hillary!" thing, and will spend most of a flight trying to find Alex Jones or Sean Hannity on AM stations along the route.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
When I was an a&p I had to beg the little shop I was in to not play Rush on the loud speaker system we had. It was literal torture.

My last DO loved that poo poo because if it wasn't for the ultra rich, nobody would have jets and we'd all be out of work.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

CBJSprague24 posted:

Was this the school where Being Airline Owned Means Everything and the student IDs were horizontally-opposed with the words "This ID not valid for flight privileges" in a red box at the bottom?

Yes it was.

I'm pretty sure he only did it (if it was true) on the way there and not on the way back.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

azflyboy posted:

It's an industry dominated by old white dudes, that has traditionally drawn a large percentage of said white dudes from the Air Force.

Ironic that it is also one of the most heavily and staunchly unionized professions in the US.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Oh, Alberta:

NOTAM posted:

170140 CYQF RED DEER FORESTRY
CFR7 RWY 07/25 SCATTERED PILES OF HORSE EXCREMENT MAX HGT 2 FT
1704142240 TIL 1706152359

Weather finally looks good for my 300nm trip, though, and I don't plan to land at the horseshit airport!

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

Two Kings posted:

Ironic that it is also one of the most heavily and staunchly unionized professions in the US.

Well, not to get all political, but the liberal movement has been diverging from the labor movement since like NAFTA. Hence why the rust belt went for Trump and put him over the top for electoral votes.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Two Kings posted:

We have a couple of pilots who love to talk smack about unions despite the fact that they would have been fired a long time ago if ALPA pilot assistance hadn't managed to save their careers.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

i am kiss u now posted:

Yes it was.

I'm pretty sure he only did it (if it was true) on the way there and not on the way back.

Oh, wow, another Academy alum! That was a fun place to fly until they pulled the plug on our base (and by "pulled", I meant "ripped out of the wall angrily"). I never heard of anybody trying that at our satellite. We were even told not to wear our uniforms into passenger terminals because if somebody really wanted to be an rear end, we could be arrested for impersonating pilots.

A couple CFIs, who lived in Cincinnati and WERE entitled to bennies, would often hop Comair flights from CVG to get to work if they didn't want to drive in, which sounded loving amazing.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

CBJSprague24 posted:

Oh, wow, another Academy alum! That was a fun place to fly until they pulled the plug on our base (and by "pulled", I meant "ripped out of the wall angrily"). I never heard of anybody trying that at our satellite. We were even told not to wear our uniforms into passenger terminals because if somebody really wanted to be an rear end, we could be arrested for impersonating pilots.

A couple CFIs, who lived in Cincinnati and WERE entitled to bennies, would often hop Comair flights from CVG to get to work if they didn't want to drive in, which sounded loving amazing.

Bummer. I can't really claim to be a full alum. I made it as far as my instrument and then stopped. I was at the Jacksonville satellite doing it in conjunction with the university program. I see they've rebranded or changed names or something but that was long after I left. I loved doing my private there; I had awesome flight and ground instructors and it was a very cool environment. The first part of my instrument went ok but my instrument, classroom ground instructor was horrible and so was my commercial ground instructor the next semester. They had the program structured so that you did your private in the first semester, instrument in your second and commercial in your third and so on and so that's how I started my commercial ground before my instrument rating was complete. I decided to transfer out after the 3rd semester having completed the ground portion but never starting the air portion of my commercial. There was so much red tape and bureaucracy to finish my instrument that I was completely turned off. A good chuck was also JAX approach not letting IFR students do approaches for something like almost a month for some reason I can't remember. Anyway, after that was over, I hadn't really flown much since last summer. Now I'm trying to get my IPC back and maybe start on some commercial stuff. I'd love to still into the industry but I seriously doubt it'll happen at this point as I just turned 30 (even though it's never too late, I know everyone who does it for a living would disagree). I'll just continue to be somewhat poor and fly for fun.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Haha, finally got my long-distance cross country done yesterday, CYBW-CFN7-CYRM-CYPE-CYBW. 7.8 hours total (I got the bill this morning. Sad!) and it all went pretty well. Had to fight turbulence and a nasty headwind pretty much the whole way there, but the ride back was nice and calm by comparison and the clouds lifted so I didn't have to worry about that. All in all, quite fun. Turns out the seventh time was the charm!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

i am kiss u now posted:

Bummer. I can't really claim to be a full alum. I made it as far as my instrument and then stopped. I was at the Jacksonville satellite doing it in conjunction with the university program. I see they've rebranded or changed names or something but that was long after I left. I loved doing my private there; I had awesome flight and ground instructors and it was a very cool environment.

I'm not a full alum either- I did Private in 2005-06 and started Instrument there in 2006. Admittedly, I sugarcoated my experience a bit in my last post on the off chance we'd crossed paths. It's interesting how our stories are similar.

I was at Dayton and we had two very different "eras" of quality and CFIs which tie into each of ^those^ ratings: Base Manager #1 and the 5 CFIs who were there during Private were fun guys for the most part and I loved every minute of it- I'm still Facebook friends with them. I remember going to Outback after the first night of the Air Show with three of our guys, plus Cannon and Mike from Jacksonville who brought a plane up to help out with marketing and discovery flights.

quote:

The first part of my instrument went ok but my instrument, classroom ground instructor was horrible and so was my commercial ground instructor the next semester. They had the program structured so that you did your private in the first semester, instrument in your second and commercial in your third and so on and so that's how I started my commercial ground before my instrument rating was complete. I decided to transfer out after the 3rd semester having completed the ground portion but never starting the air portion of my commercial. There was so much red tape and bureaucracy to finish my instrument that I was completely turned off.

Base Manager #1 and 4 of 5 CFIs left for the airlines (the one who was left was promoted to base manager #2), and were replaced by guys who spent time at Sanford and were a mixed bag of decent dudes and dicks; the entire feel of the school changed. The guy I finished Private and started Instrument with was a bit of a narcissist (and, apparently, still is) who had issues with making GBS threads on students with them in earshot, but the Check Instructor who did my Private checkride was a good guy.

For all the promises of Cirrus metal, we never had more than 2 152s, an Arrow, a Seminole, and a pair of ratty-assed 172s in which things which were supposed to work didn't. I wasted an afternoon on a DME arc lesson in which the DME equipped in the plane we flew apparently hadn't been working for a while, my CFI knew, and nobody'd done anything about it. That, combined with other iffy experiences, was the gently caress-it point; I think I did one more PCATD lesson before taking a semi-permanent hiatus. (After talking to my college advisor, who said "that's messed up", she set up a meeting to address the issue with the Chair of the college program, at which point he told me they'd won Diamond Awards for maintenance and it was basically my fault and "maybe you'd be better off in the A&P program"; as fate would have it, I now have an office across the hall from where I was verbally disemboweled. I called Base Manager #1, now in an admin role at the Academy, and he also said "yeah, that's really messed up, that never should've happened" and even refunded the cost of the lesson).

After I stopped there, things apparently got worse: at one point, both 172s were down for maintenance (i.e., ain't nobody flyin' Instrument for a while) and the base had no A&P (our original guy left and I think Sanford was flying dudes up). The CFIs in the second "era" all went to the airlines in the 2006-07 hiring frenzy with little backfill. They were down to Base Manager #3 and two local college alumni CFIs, so Base Manager #1 actually returned to pinch hit and help get students through. Having been friends with one of the alumni CFIs, I thought of going back to fly Instrument with him but held off in part because, by Summer 2007, there were rumblings across Facebook PMs that something was terribly wrong behind the scenes. Sure enough, on 9/11 (of all days), the college Chair held a meeting in which we were told the Academy was leaving thanks to an escape clause in their contract (claiming enrollment was too low when it wasn't), that he'd negotiated them from a December '07 exit to June '08, and a new partner would take over with new Diamonds. When Base Manager #3 said "At least we'll have planes that work now" out loud, everyone laughed, and I felt much better.

...unfortunately, the Academy kinda didn't hold up their end of the bargain. On a Monday afternoon in January '08, three dudes from Florida showed up in a Penske truck and said "Everyone out, we're closed" with students actively waiting to go on flights. Base Manager #3 was fired on the spot for having been in talks with the college's likely new flight training partner for the same role, the two CFIs were taken to dinner and offered positions at the main campus, and Base Manager #1 went back to his desk job. All one of my friends needed was his Instrument checkride; he and his parents were making sure they didn't leave town without him passing and, after threat of a lawsuit, he did his checkride with one of the three visitors from Florida while the other two packed the building up. (Apparently, it was a less-than-nice day and he got puked on by the Check Instructor late in the flight.). I saw my friend the CFI two days later and, when asked if he wanted to hang out in our Commercial ground, he replied "I sure as poo poo don't have anything else to do!" :shepicide:

In the end, it was probably for the best, as the current training partner has run like a well-oiled machine in spite of those Diamonds never happening (I finished Instrument there) and is now managed by the college's CFI who was doing some of the ground schools for the Academy through the college who knows her poo poo.

quote:

A good chuck was also JAX approach not letting IFR students do approaches for something like almost a month for some reason I can't remember.

This is interesting because DAY Tower & Approach were always easy to get along with. One of their guys saw me in the blue uniform at a McDonald's after a lesson one day and struck up a conversation about where I was in training and which planes I flew (he had the tail numbers of the 152s and 172s backward, but that was understandable), seeming like a cool guy.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Air Cargo Carriers had a Shorts 330 somehow veer off and into a valley off the runway today at CRW. :(

http://avherald.com/h?article=4a88f341

I know one guy who used to work for them, but he's doing corporate stuff now.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

My flight school picked up a new (to us) C172 yesterday, and we still don't have a loving twin, after 8 months, because there's "no money."

I'm going to finish off my CPL and switch schools because this one is obviously run by idiots. My primary instructor is leaving at the end of June anyway, so I'd be doing multi-IFR and/or instructor rating with someone else already.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more pissed off I am. You're not only loving over all the CPL students, who basically need Group I IFR to get a job, but you're also loving over all the instructors, who don't get any twin time whatsoever, making it harder for them to get their next job. Yeah, the perfect deal might not be coming along on exactly the Twin Comanche you want, but just eat some poo poo and get a serviceable twin. Or get a 182 for renters who want something faster than a 172 without jumping all the way to the Cirrus (which has also been conspicuous in its absence lately, I've noticed). Or get a nice, modern 172 with a G1000, so you can teach people how to fly with more modern avionics. Or get a Citabria to replace the one a student wrote off with a ground loop last year, since people have been asking about tailwheel training. Pretty much anything would've been better than another 172N.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 5, 2017

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

CBJSprague24 posted:

Air Cargo Carriers had a Shorts 330 somehow veer off and into a valley off the runway today at CRW. :(

http://avherald.com/h?article=4a88f341

I know one guy who used to work for them, but he's doing corporate stuff now.

A wing strike in a shorts? Wow.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

PT6A posted:

My flight school picked up a new (to us) C172 yesterday, and we still don't have a loving twin, after 8 months, because there's "no money."

I'm going to finish off my CPL and switch schools because this one is obviously run by idiots. My primary instructor is leaving at the end of June anyway, so I'd be doing multi-IFR and/or instructor rating with someone else already.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more pissed off I am. You're not only loving over all the CPL students, who basically need Group I IFR to get a job, but you're also loving over all the instructors, who don't get any twin time whatsoever, making it harder for them to get their next job. Yeah, the perfect deal might not be coming along on exactly the Twin Comanche you want, but just eat some poo poo and get a serviceable twin. Or get a 182 for renters who want something faster than a 172 without jumping all the way to the Cirrus (which has also been conspicuous in its absence lately, I've noticed). Or get a nice, modern 172 with a G1000, so you can teach people how to fly with more modern avionics. Or get a Citabria to replace the one a student wrote off with a ground loop last year, since people have been asking about tailwheel training. Pretty much anything would've been better than another 172N.

There's a reason why Cornwall has a corner on the Multi/IFR market in Canada - I taught there for a year and personally signed off ~7% of instrument ratings issued in Canada that year. That reason is simply that nobody else in this country can seem to keep a light twin running and/or profitable for some unknown reason. It's quick and dirty training but for $10k and two weeks its a pretty sweet setup. A word of warning though, accelerated training has huge drawbacks too, it is NOT the IFR training you seek out if you're going to be bombing around single pilot IFR at all. I liked to send students away with a speech about knowing their limitations.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Learn the fundamentals for IFR flight without GPS well when you first learn them. Just ferried an aircraft coast to coast with no GPS and it was an adventure to say the least.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
How many times did they try to give you direct somewhere?

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
"cleared to destination airport via direct, expect the RNAV/GPS 33 approach" :negative:

I didn't shoot my first GPS approach until this past summer and I got my ticket in 2006. Never did any of my training with an IFR GPS nor had a /G aircraft. For my Instrument checkride we had to do a partial panel NDB A approach, there's a real challenge. GPS is a pretty neat tool to have but I'm still fascinated by VOR and land-based navigation. That said, I'll still take a GPS any day of the week given a choice though.

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 11, 2017

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
NDBs are the gentleman's approach

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Don't get too attached to it. Airways has a raging, throbbing hard-on for NDB/VOR/VORTAC shutdowns. They're hilariously expensive to maintain, in relation to how many aircraft are still using them. I think we're scheduled to lose four or five major radio navaids just in the southern half of Florida in the next year or two.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

i am kiss u now posted:

"cleared to destination airport via direct, expect the RNAV/GPS 33 approach" :negative:

I didn't shoot my first GPS approach until this past summer and I got my ticket in 2006. Never did any of my training with an IFR GPS nor had a /G aircraft. For my Instrument checkride we had to do a partial panel NDB A approach, there's a real challenge. GPS is a pretty neat tool to have but I'm still fascinated by VOR and land-based navigation. That said, I'll still take a GPS any day of the week given a choice though.

Allegedly a few DCA planes were GPS-equipped as I remember seeing references to GPS in the binders we got, but :lol: if it actually existed.

One of my friends was up for his Instrument checkride the day before NDBs were no longer required. He was told "If you really want to go today, that's fine, but if you don't mind waiting until Monday, you won't have to do an NDB."

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

vessbot posted:

How many times did they try to give you direct somewhere?

Pretty often. I filed expecting to have it but lost it while spinning up so my route had me hopping airways and making really long directs between navaids. Thankfully due to a combination of tablets, moving maps, and an inertial nav system I did ok.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Passed my ppl check ride this morning. I'm a pilot, goons.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Nuggan posted:

Congratulations!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Nuggan posted:

Have a beer, wait 8 hours and go do your instrument rating.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

Rolo posted:

Have a beer, wait 8 hours and go do your instrument rating.

That's the plan! No delay, straight into it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Don't you need 50 hours PIC cross-country for an instrument rating (or is that just in Canada)? Work on that, then do your instrument rating. I guess you could do all the training, complete the flight test, and then build hours, but... why?

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

PT6A posted:

Don't you need 50 hours PIC cross-country for an instrument rating (or is that just in Canada)? Work on that, then do your instrument rating. I guess you could do all the training, complete the flight test, and then build hours, but... why?

I believe it is 50 hours here in the states. I have a friend who also just got his PPL, we're planning on trading off who is flying when we take some trips so we can both get hours up for the instrument rating.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Nuggan posted:

I believe it is 50 hours here in the states. I have a friend who also just got his PPL, we're planning on trading off who is flying when we take some trips so we can both get hours up for the instrument rating.

Most of your instrument training will/should be

-Departure
-Navigate to airport far enough away while playing with nav aids
-Arrival
-Approach - miss and hold
-Approach - land
-Navigate home

You're going to be checking multiple boxes at once in regards to IFR, cross country, night, whatever, so your other requirements will be all good around the time you get your 40 hours of instrument training (assuming you're following a decent syllabus.)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Rolo posted:

Most of your instrument training will/should be

-Departure
-Navigate to airport far enough away while playing with nav aids
-Arrival
-Approach - miss and hold
-Approach - land
-Navigate home

You're going to be checking multiple boxes at once in regards to IFR, cross country, night, whatever, so your other requirements will be all good around the time you get your 40 hours of instrument training (assuming you're following a decent syllabus.)

Right, but is any of that PIC? I'll be honest, I haven't looked into it much here, but my understanding is that the instrument syllabus has no PIC time.

I'm looking to go right into my MIFR rating right after I get my CPL*, but I've been basing everything on the assumption I'll basically need the 50 PIC XC before I start. If I fill out the rest of my PIC requirements for the CPL with cross country time I should be close, and I'm going to try and do some/all of it at night (easier said than done when night is 9:30PM to 5:30AM right now).

* Might end up going for the instructor rating first, though. Some people recommend that first, others say I should finish off the MIFR first -- and that's what I'm leaning towards, just so I have more experience and I can offer a better perspective to any students I instruct. And, for what it's worth, the more I think about it the more I actually want to instruct, rather than just doing it as a way to build time. We'll see how long that lasts once I start instructing, of course :v:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Oh hey I passed my upgrade check ride for 135 slave labor. No more being an O2 thief in the right seat of a PC12. :toot:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

e.pilot posted:

Oh hey I passed my upgrade check ride for 135 slave labor. No more being an O2 thief in the right seat of a PC12. :toot:

Do PC-12s have comfy crew seats? Massagers? All the PC-12 drivers I talk to are chill as gently caress. Piaggio guys, too. King Air guys tend to have real bad get-there-faster-itis.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Really? I thought all pc-12 guys were jerkoffs and king air guys were good looking, rich, and the best pilots. Ymmv I guess.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Piaggio guys are chill because they get to show people pictures of the rucking Piaggio they fly.

I like those planes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I saw an RCMP PC-12 yesterday at my airport. It's a nice looking plane and I'd like to fly one some day. It seems like flying for the RCMP would be a pretty cool gig -- I don't imagine you'd get bored often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MrYenko posted:

Do PC-12s have comfy crew seats? Massagers? All the PC-12 drivers I talk to are chill as gently caress. Piaggio guys, too. King Air guys tend to have real bad get-there-faster-itis.

The crew seats kinda suck actually, zero recline and feels like you're sitting at a 90° angle. Super easy plane to fly though.

• Locked thread