Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Any flying clubs in your area? Might check into that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I've been scouring my FAR and Google for the answer to this but with no luck, so maybe y'all can help.
If I'm doing ground operations at an uncontrolled airfield (no tower, unicoms, etc), is there any special license required to talk to taxiing aircraft on an unused freq to coordinate? IE your radio license or whatever.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
lol what is this, Canadia?

If you're doing aircraft marshaling, helping people get to the ramp or something of that nature you'll be fine.

We don't make students pilots, or anybody afaik get a radio license. Not even individual ATCers do... But FK can clear that up better than I can.

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 9, 2014

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

Spaced God posted:

I've been scouring my FAR and Google for the answer to this but with no luck, so maybe y'all can help.
If I'm doing ground operations at an uncontrolled airfield (no tower, unicoms, etc), is there any special license required to talk to taxiing aircraft on an unused freq to coordinate? IE your radio license or whatever.

I'm in Australia so take the below with a grain of salt - I was just interested to see how different requirements are.

http://wireless.fcc.gov/commoperators/index.htm?job=rr of use at all? FCC and FAA being separate means it won't be in FAR

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

I'm in Australia so take the below with a grain of salt - I was just interested to see how different requirements are.

http://wireless.fcc.gov/commoperators/index.htm?job=rr of use at all? FCC and FAA being separate means it won't be in FAR

You do not need that permit for (US) domestic airband usage.

edit: it's right on the page you linked:

NOT needed for
Aircraft stations which operate only on VHF frequencies and do not make foreign flights.
Aircraft radar sets, radio altimeters, transponders or other aircraft automatic radionavigation transmitters.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

DNova posted:

You do not need that permit for (US) domestic airband usage.

edit: it's right on the page you linked:

NOT needed for
Aircraft stations which operate only on VHF frequencies and do not make foreign flights.
Aircraft radar sets, radio altimeters, transponders or other aircraft automatic radionavigation transmitters.

Yup - had a bit of a further look around that site at various radio licenses and all make that same statement about no need for VHF domestic.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Got an offer for a job interview with the FAA today, which was completely unexpected.

I'd completed the application about a year ago, and had basically forgotten about it until they called me (probably the only time an unsolicited phone call from the FAA is a good thing), so now I get to try and figure out if accepting the job would make sense if the interview goes well. On the plus side, the pay is very good, the benefits are excellent, and the job stability is far beyond anything I'd likely find flying for a living. The big downside is that the job wouldn't involve much flying (I've heard 50 hours/yr is pretty common, so it would be the end of my professional flying career), and the idea of being in an office every workday for the next 35 years sounds kind of depressing.

Oddly, this is the third job offer or interview offer I've received since I started flying for a regional, and in each case, the jobs were things I'd applied to last year, and had completely forgotten about when I started my current job.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Ok, I'll bite. What's the job, azflyboy?

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

tenaciousvigilance posted:

Hey there - was a lurker of this thread for a while; used it to get a kickstart on my aviation education and have been dutifully flying since April w/over 70 hours. I just needed to do my solo cross country, night training and some under the hood work and I'd be ready for my check ride.
Awesome! So glad we could help! Really hope you don't give up!

Tide posted:

Out of curiosity, how long after getting your PPL did anyone wait before taking someone up with you?
Two days, literally my next flight. I had taken a passengers a couple times during my training.

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 9, 2014

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

azflyboy posted:

Got an offer for a job interview with the FAA today, which was completely unexpected.

I work in a government department as my day job, while instructing in the evenings/weekends and I have to say: be careful. Yes, I work for the Canadian federal government and I'm in a non-aviation department, but structurally and culturally within these organizations there is limited difference from what I've gathered. With government work its very, very easy to get trapped into what's known as the 'Golden Handcuffs.'

Merit, does not advance your career. Seniority, does not advance your career. Playing 'the game' advances your career. And the game is soul-sucking and mind-numbing. But you stay, because the pay and benefits are too good - growing more and more bitter and resentful (does it show? Haha).

I actually started flying the day I got my first pension statement. It said I had 37 years of service before I was eligible for the (admittedly gold plated) pension. I looked around and that honestly read like a jail sentence - so I googled flight schools and the rest is now history.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

Ok, I'll bite. What's the job, azflyboy?

General aviation safety inspector.

Desi posted:

I work in a government department as my day job, while instructing in the evenings/weekends and I have to say: be careful.

The "golden handcuffs" are exactly why the decision to take the job (assuming the interview goes well enough for a job offer) would be so difficult. If I just look at pay, quality of life, and job security, there's absolutely no contest between a government job and airline flying, but the "soul sucking" nature of government work you mentioned and the fact that getting paid (not very well) to fly for a living beats sitting in an office for the next couple of decades makes it a harder decision.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 9, 2014

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Whats to prevent you from flying whenever you feel like it?

Who actually wants to fly for the airlines? I thought they were just the only way to be paid well for flying.

Seems like you have hit the Holy grail. I thought FAA were only given to old men looking to do something until they retired.

Hell, do it for five years and if you hate it go back to the airline grind.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Got a skywest interview in December. Woo.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Congrats!

It's kind of funny how bitter a lot of the captains at my base are towards Skywest. For various reasons, the base I'm in is really senior for captains, which means a lot of them used to fly the CRJ-700, until Alaska decided to sell those airplanes to Skywest in 2011.

This means that at least once per trip (generally once a day), several of the captains feel the need to rant how "Scabwest took our jets!", which can get kind of old when you're flying with one of those guys for an entire bid.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

We have some of those QX jets at XJT. They are pieces of poo poo that are falling apartp, but at least they have dual FMS.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
One of the nice things with QX is that they ordered the Q400 fleet with pretty much every avionics option possible. The entire fleet has dual FMS's (with VNAV and RNP capability) and a HUD for the captain that lets us do CAT III approaches. Unfortunately, that didn't extend to the air conditioning system (for an airplane built in Canada, the heating is terrible), so we spend winters freezing our asses off while using all those nifty gadgets.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
An airplane built in Canada, an also one that serves many locations in Alaska. Well, I don't know about your particular one, but in general. Alaska's website doesn't distinguish between them and Horizon anymore so you can't tell which one is which. I was kind of curious what kind of planes they use to fly for each.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/route-map.aspx

According to Wikipedia, the Adak to Anchorage route is served by a 737-400C.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

CharlesM posted:

An airplane built in Canada, an also one that serves many locations in Alaska. Well, I don't know about your particular one, but in general. Alaska's website doesn't distinguish between them and Horizon anymore so you can't tell which one is which. I was kind of curious what kind of planes they use to fly for each.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/route-map.aspx

According to Wikipedia, the Adak to Anchorage route is served by a 737-400C.

Horizon does almost all of their flying within Washingon, Oregon, Idaho and Montana (with some flying to California and Loreto, Mexico), but not much flying in Alaska. Horizon opened a base in Anchorage earlier this year, which spent the entire summer doing nothing but round trips between Anchorage and Juneau, but they add some flying to Kodiak in the winter, and just announced service to Deadhorse.

Oddly enough, we seem to have a decent number of people here that like doing nothing but Anchorage-Fairbanks turns every day, since that base is full and is impossible for a new-hire to get right out of training.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

azflyboy posted:

This means that at least once per trip (generally once a day), several of the captains feel the need to rant how "Scabwest took our jets!"

We're getting a lot of this right now as our 700s are going to PSA. I've noticed a couple of airplane have been "graffitied" in the cockpit with sayings about psa that are less than complimentary.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The PSA hate is more understandable.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Looking at the skywest gouges is terrifying. Absolutely terrifying. Planning on going and practicing the profile at least a little closer to the interview and at some point I need to go through everything explained for the professional pilot again. Also, really need to memorize a bunch of Seminole stuff since it's the most complex airplane I've flown and it sounds like they make you draw lots of systems out.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

The Slaughter posted:

Looking at the skywest gouges is terrifying. Absolutely terrifying. Planning on going and practicing the profile at least a little closer to the interview and at some point I need to go through everything explained for the professional pilot again. Also, really need to memorize a bunch of Seminole stuff since it's the most complex airplane I've flown and it sounds like they make you draw lots of systems out.

Get some review time in a frasca 141, and practice the Burbank ILS approach. A lot. It's also going to help if aforementioned SIM has a twin setup like a PA44 or baron.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Yeah I have a lot of Frasca time and atcseattle.com looks like they have a Frasca 141/142 set up as a twin. It's horribly overpriced but whatever, it's my career so it's worth it.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
As an instrument student I HATE sitting on the ground on days like this

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Took the kiddo (7 year old) for his first flight on Saturday morning. Beautiful weather. He did great, and absolutely loved it. Looking over the gopro footage, the wide eyed look of wonder during taxi, run up, and take off was priceless. That moment you leave the ground definitely left an impression!

A positive side effect is that he's been grabbing my AOPA and Flying magazines and doing his best to read them. He's not one to voluntarily read on his own, so anything encourages him to pick up a book or magazine, is a good thing. He doesn't understand what he's reading or be able to pronounce everything, but at least the interest is there.

On Monday, his teacher said the only thing he talked about all day long was "My dad took me flying" to anyone that would listen :3:

The weather on Sunday ixnay'd taking the wife to New Orleans, unfortunately.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Tide posted:

On Monday, his teacher said the only thing he talked about all day long was "My dad took me flying" to anyone that would listen :3:

Be careful, you may be creating a monster that you can't control. Next thing you know he'll be talking about lessons, then an instrument rating, then looking for jobs, and next thing you know you have a full blown professional pilot on your hands. Aviation is like a $100/hour narcotic and it only takes a little taste to become hopelessly addicted.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure I've created a little aviation nerd/monster/addict. Every day when I pick him up, it's the same question: Can we go flying today? It's like a whole new world has been opened up to him, and it was, that he's like "this is freaking cool". Before he went went flying with me, he could give a rats rear end about airplanes or flying. Now? It's all that matters. This morning, it was
"Dad, what's a fly in?"
"It's when a bunch of pilots fly their planes to an airfield and there's airshows with cool old birds and new ones and it's kind of a big party".
"Can we go?"

And I love it.

I've got a great shot on my camera at home of us standing next to each other giving the Maverick thumbs up sign with big ol' grins.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KodiakRS posted:

Be careful, you may be creating a monster that you can't control. Next thing you know he'll be talking about lessons, then an instrument rating, then looking for jobs, and next thing you know you have a full blown professional pilot on your hands. Aviation is like a $100/hour narcotic and it only takes a little taste to become hopelessly addicted.

The best way to ensure your child is happy, but financially insolvent until they're forty is to introduce them to aviation.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

KodiakRS posted:

Aviation is like a $100/hour narcotic

I wish..

That being said it's great getting others enthusiatic about GA. Definitely go to a fly in when it's looking good. The last one I went to was great, just a small gathering of about 6 aircraft on a small grass strip next to a rather nice house for a bbq and chat. A little aerobatic display and taking up some people for a short flight. All good fun.

CraZy GrinGo
Jul 29, 2003
Veteran³
Spent three days last week flying to and from the company houseboat at Lake Powell. Besides landing on the boat, the students got to go swimming, fishing, and ride jet skis. Went there in an R44 and two R66s, one of which had just arrived the night before from the factory. Stayed overnight in one of the guest rooms after the second trip. Being a flight instructor isn't always as bad as people make it sound.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I have to ask:

Company house boat?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

eriktown posted:

I have to ask:

Company house boat?

You mean your flight school doesn't have a company houseboat that you can land your helicopter on?

P.S. Does John Johnson still keep track of how many times he uses the word "hence" whenever he's teaching?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Holy hell, that's awesome.

CraZy GrinGo
Jul 29, 2003
Veteran³

KodiakRS posted:

You mean your flight school doesn't have a company houseboat that you can land your helicopter on?

P.S. Does John Johnson still keep track of how many times he uses the word "hence" whenever he's teaching?

That's the one! JJ is the same as always, it's fun to listen to him talk to the new students during orientation. There is always an equal amount of laughing and groaning from the crowd.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Finally flew my first good ILS under the hood today, dead center the whole way down. :3:

Backed it up by flying 2 more with no more than one dot deflection.

God that felt good, I think my brain has finally put the pieces together.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

e.pilot posted:

Finally flew my first good ILS under the hood today, dead center the whole way down. :3:

Backed it up by flying 2 more with no more than one dot deflection.

God that felt good, I think my brain has finally put the pieces together.

DLIDS, Half your groundspeed for descent rate, no more than one heading bug width of turn, and less is more!

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Half your groundspeed ... times 10 for approximate descent rate. Or else you'll end up way high...
I'll bite, what's DLIDS?

Oh, and my mental 'get ready for an approach' checklist is "Do your AABBCCs."

A- Atis
A- ATC (Ask for approach)
B- Build the approach
B- Brief the approach
C- Checklist
C- Call - any further calls required, switching to tower, etc.

Has always worked well for me. :)

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I've been doing the half your ground speed thing, it works great.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The "level off if you get below the glide slope because it will come down to you" trick is one of my favorites in aviation. It's so ingenious and effective. It's like the glide slope knows you descended a tad too much and is saying "I've got you, buddy. Just pitch up, I'll be right there." :hfive:

MrYenko posted:

The best way to ensure your child is happy, but financially insolvent until they're forty is to introduce them to aviation.

On the way back from doing some work on the family's vacation house a couple months ago, my mom and I talked to a Chautauqua ERJ captain at CLT commuting to CMH. When talking flying careers, he told her "If either of my kids say they want to be an airline pilot, I'm going to bean them over the head.".

I'd already picked up Private, Instrument, and realized it wasn't worth continuing two years before that point (though I intend on doing something with my ERAU MAS), but I think it opened her eyes as to how bad things really can be nowadays in aviation. And from the sound of things, he's not half as screwed as the guys and girls at Envoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CBJSprague24 posted:

On the way back from doing some work on the family's vacation house a couple months ago, my mom and I talked to a Chautauqua ERJ captain at CLT commuting to CMH. When talking flying careers, he told her "If either of my kids say they want to be an airline pilot, I'm going to bean them over the head.".

I'd already picked up Private, Instrument, and realized it wasn't worth continuing two years before that point, but I think it opened her eyes as to how bad things really can be nowadays in aviation. And from the sound of things, he's not half as screwed as the guys and girls at Envoy.

Most of my pilot buddies' emotional states most closely resemble that of battered wives. Basically happy, and the sex is amazing, but it could be even better if he would just stop punching me in the face at night.

• Locked thread