Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

The Slaughter posted:

Half your groundspeed ... times 10 for approximate descent rate. Or else you'll end up way high...
I'll bite, what's DLIDS?

Oh, and my mental 'get ready for an approach' checklist is "Do your AABBCCs."

A- Atis
A- ATC (Ask for approach)
B- Build the approach
B- Brief the approach
C- Checklist
C- Call - any further calls required, switching to tower, etc.

Has always worked well for me. :)

DLIDS for ILS/LOC approaches:

D-DME (if required by the approach/for your SA)
L-Localizer (tune it up)
I- Inbound course
D-Display- set your nav source to your VOR/ILS (as req)
S-speeds- approach speeds for your approach (as req)

Its a good check to turn around in your head, esp if you aren't on vectors and you're using other navigation sources, frequencies, or courses, like on a procedure turn or arcing approach.

My approach checklist is CNPANTSBC. Doesn't quite roll off your tongues like ABC does but you won't miss a thing, I guarantee it

C-Climb check. Use it if you're doing multiple practice approaches
N- Navaids-
P-Plates- get the other guy to flip your plates to the right page
A- ATIS- duh
N-NOTAMS- if you're a real baller check your notams that you preflighted (obv if its your first time to the airport)
T- Trouble Tee's- any special instructions on climb out, gradients, low close in obstacles, etc-- have your copilot brief it
S- speeds-- approach speeds if needed
B- brief it
C- approach checks

That one runs pretty well but I'm having a hard time with in the V-22. While a capable instrument platform a lot of the menus are run on separate screens-- one of the primary flight displays and one on the crew's flight display, and on different subpages of those. Its pretty difficult to set up a flow. I passed my instrument check pretty easily but it definitely helps to have an extra set of eyes on things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

MrYenko posted:

Most of my pilot buddies' emotional states most closely resemble that of battered wives. Basically happy, and the sex is amazing, but it could be even better if he would just stop punching me in the face at night.

Aviation Megathread | "Battered Pilot Safe Zone"

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Doing my first real IFR XC tomorrow, flying from KAPA to KCOS to KBJC.

I can't wait.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I finished primary flight training today :toot: I'll find out my follow-on pipeline next Thursday.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Congrats

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

overdesigned posted:

I finished primary flight training today :toot: I'll find out my follow-on pipeline next Thursday.

Awesome job. What branch, where were you training?

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

I am trying to get back to Randolph AFB to teach PIT there, but it's not looking like it's going to happen. Miss my sea food out n backs to Corpus Christi :(

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

What are the competitive alternatives to LogTen Pro? They just switched into a ridiculous subscription model that is more expensive than getting my 1st medical certificate every year. Months after I paid a small fortune for their OSX and iOS software. Even if I were stupid enough to pay that much money every year, I don't think that company will be around for long.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
It's $69/year, you get your first class medical for less than that? I paid $100 for the last one, I think, and it was 15 minutes.
Also through the 30th it looks like it's $35... I'll probably do that while I figure out if I want to switch or not. It's expensive but it's a pretty drat good app... And honestly it's not very different from them charging $70 a year for a new version since they came out with a new version like... every year.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I pay $65 for my medical when I go down to Puerto Rico. The doctor knows me and has kept me at the 3rd class medical price.

Its a nice app, but once you are flying in an airline that can export your schedules, I only open it about once a month to import the database file and make some corrections. If I subscribe, I would practically be paying $5.75 every time I update my logbook.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I switched to Logbook Pro (from paper logbooks) when I got an airline job, and I've been pretty happy with it so far. I just bought the standard edition, and it does pretty much everything I need it to, but the layout did take some getting used to. They do charge an annual fee for the mobile version of the app (the desktop license is good until they release 2.X, which doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon), but since it takes me just a couple of minutes to manually enter all of the data after a 4 day trip, I'm perfectly happy with just the desktop version.

Logbook Pro does have the ability to import from airline schedules as well, (for $40/yr) but since the records I get from my airline need a lot of correcting (night landings/flight time and instrument approaches/time have to be filled in manually), I've never bothered to pay the extra money.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 17, 2014

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

The Ferret King posted:

Awesome job. What branch, where were you training?

Marines, I'm at NAS Whiting. I'm asking for jets but it's not entirely my decision to make.

xaarman posted:

I am trying to get back to Randolph AFB to teach PIT there, but it's not looking like it's going to happen. Miss my sea food out n backs to Corpus Christi :(

I did my enlisted nav training at Randolph, that was easily the nicest base I ever got stationed on. Doubly so as a Marine.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

What are the competitive alternatives to LogTen Pro? They just switched into a ridiculous subscription model that is more expensive than getting my 1st medical certificate every year. Months after I paid a small fortune for their OSX and iOS software. Even if I were stupid enough to pay that much money every year, I don't think that company will be around for long.

I use myflightbook.com it's free, all their funding comes from donations. They have an app to add flights as well as Dropbox and excel spreadsheet syncing.

e:
Also, did a short IFR XC today, it's coming along nicely. CFI and I have decided to cut flying back from twice a week to once a week to stay proficient and hit the books hard in preparation for the written and oral.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 18, 2014

simble
May 11, 2004

e.pilot posted:

myflightbook.com

This might be the best online logbook I've seen. Import was a breeze. I like this a lot. Thanks for this.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
Second Solo XC today, 2.8 hours and a great morning to fly.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Used Sunlight sales posted:

Second Solo XC today, 2.8 hours and a great morning to fly.

Good stuff, I actually enjoyed my solo XCs more than my first solo.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

The Slaughter posted:

It's $69/year, you get your first class medical for less than that? I paid $100 for the last one, I think, and it was 15 minutes.
Also through the 30th it looks like it's $35... I'll probably do that while I figure out if I want to switch or not. It's expensive but it's a pretty drat good app... And honestly it's not very different from them charging $70 a year for a new version since they came out with a new version like... every year.

With features that don't even work for 5 months after release like (the original) iCloud sync.

I'm torn on what to do. $30ish seems reasonable to me. $70 isn't. I just have a hard time playing as much for Logten Pro as for a Foreflight subscription, given how much less useful it is and how much slower Coradine is at releasing useful features. If I upgrade then I probably can't fall back to wifi syncing like I could do now.

Maybe I'll do what I do with Foreflight: watch for iTunes gift cards to go available for 20% off via slickdeals and pretend that's a discount for buying these expensive subscriptions.

tenaciousvigilance
Sep 29, 2014
I flew in a friend's Cessna 210 the other day and he put me under the hood and had me fly IFR (while he had an IFR flight plan). It was a lot of fun!

He's not a CFI and I'm still in the process of getting my PPL, but he suggested I get a complex endorsement and then I can begin logging hours with him in a 210.

I'm a little confused -- since he's not a CFI, how can I log hours with him? I can't do that toward my instrument unless I'm with a CFII, right? Can anyone explain what he meant?

tenaciousvigilance fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 21, 2014

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I'm rusty on this stuff, but you can log PIC in that aircraft if you are rated to fly it and while you are the sole manipulator of the controls. I'm not even sure if you need the endorsement to log PIC. You can log PIC and instrument time with your friend under the hood, but it's not "instruction" time.

Actually, you said you are working on your PPL - I don't know if any of that is true now, you might need the instructor to log since you are not rated to be at the controls.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Infinotize posted:

I'm rusty on this stuff, but you can log PIC in that aircraft if you are rated to fly it and while you are the sole manipulator of the controls. I'm not even sure if you need the endorsement to log PIC. You can log PIC and instrument time with your friend under the hood, but it's not "instruction" time.

Actually, you said you are working on your PPL - I don't know if any of that is true now, you might need the instructor to log since you are not rated to be at the controls.

As a student pilot tenaciousvigilance will only be able to log PIC time for his solo flights based on 61.51(e)(4) but can't log PIC time otherwise (except for the checkride where he can log PIC due to the weird status the DPE holds as not-PIC and not-Passenger). Once a private pilot ASEL, he doesn't actually need the complex endorsement to log PIC if he's the sole manipulator of the controls even though without the endorsement he's not legal to actually be PIC. And since he needs the other pilot to be the actual PIC, the other pilot can log PIC time too.

At least that's my understanding.

edit: This FAA letter address that. In fact, I don't think you even need a current medical, BFR or recency to log PIC if you are the sole manipulator of the controls, you only need those to act as PIC.

fordan fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 21, 2014

Gisnep
Mar 29, 2010

fordan posted:

And since he needs the other pilot to be the actual PIC, the other pilot can log PIC time too.

At least that's my understanding.
In this scenario, the guy acting as PIC only gets to log the time that he was also sole manipulator of the controls.

Gisnep fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 21, 2014

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Gisnep posted:

In this scenario, the guy acting as PIC doesn't get to log anything.

I was treating it similar to safety pilots who are able to log PIC time via 61.51(e)(1)(iii) while someone else is under the hood since they are required to be there for the flight per 91.109, but 91.109 explicitly calls out the requirement for a second pilot as safety pilot when view-limiting device is used, whereas the lack of a complex endorsement preventing a pilot from acting as PIC and forcing the role of PIC on the other pilot is only implied in 61.31. I still think they'd be able to log it as since the flight requires a legal pilot acting as PIC.

quote:

61.51:
(e) Logging pilot-in-command flight time. (1) A sport, recreational, private, commercial, or airline transport pilot may log pilot in command flight time for flights-

(i) When the pilot is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which the pilot is rated, or has sport pilot privileges for that category and class of aircraft, if the aircraft class rating is appropriate;

(ii) When the pilot is the sole occupant in the aircraft;

(iii) When the pilot, except for a holder of a sport or recreational pilot certificate, acts as pilot in command of an aircraft for which more than one pilot is required under the type certification of the aircraft or the regulations under which the flight is conducted; or < iv omitted>

quote:

91.109:
(b) No person may operate a civil aircraft in simulated instrument flight unless—

(1) The other control seat is occupied by a safety pilot who possesses at least a private pilot certificate with category and class ratings appropriate to the aircraft being flown.

quote:

61.31(e):
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (e)(2) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of a complex airplane, unless the person has--

(i) Received and logged ground and flight training from an authorized instructor in a complex airplane, or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of a complex airplane, and has been found proficient in the operation and systems of the airplane; and
(ii) Received a one-time endorsement in the pilot's logbook from an authorized instructor who certifies the person is proficient to operate a complex airplane.

(2) The training and endorsement required by paragraph (e)(1) of this section is not required if the person has logged flight time as pilot in command of a complex airplane, or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of a complex airplane prior to August 4, 1997.

Gisnep
Mar 29, 2010
Ah, disregard. I misunderstood your scenario as a non-safety pilot one:
-one rated-but-not-endorsed pilot manipulating the controls
-while one rated-and-endorsed pilot acting as PIC
Neither with a hood on, both logging it as PIC. (Not allowed under 61.51)

Gisnep fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 22, 2014

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Got selected to fly jets at NAS Meridian today. A good day.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

overdesigned posted:

Congratulations, and good luck!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

overdesigned posted:

Dude, congrats!

For more info, he's basically going to fly this:

and from that he selects either the Harrier, Prowler, or F-18 or (lol) the F35 (if that ever happens lol)

Pretty desired and pretty hard to get for marine pilots out of flight school

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Congratulations, awesome job!

Richlove
Jul 24, 2009

Paragon of primary care

"What?!?! You stuck that WHERE?!?!

:staredog:

Student pilot checking in. I have been lurking this thread for awhile and finally decided to take the plunge late last year to start flight training.
I have logged 17.5 hours so far in a 1982 C-172 and can finally run the pattern and land the aircraft somewhat down the centerline at KLNP. My training has been sporadic due to cost/living in ROA and commuting to do training at KLNP. I have the funds again and attempted to go this past weekend to get an additional 3-4 hours of flight time in when the weather didn't cooperate (went from VFR to IFR conditions within 20 minutes :argh:)

Unfortunately due to work and family commitments I am grounded for the next couple weeks. I have a yoke and rudder pedals for FS 2004 but I have heard that one can develop bad habits from flightsims (i.e. staring at the instruments instead of scanning out the window). I've got the itch to buy X-plane 10 or Prepar3d but have held off so far. Do you veteran pilots have any opinions on flightsims during training for PPL and IFR? My main concerns are communicating over the radio (have not flown at a towered airport yet) and practicing pattern work at other nearby airports in the sim to better prepare myself for future flights.

quote:

Aviation is like a $100/hour narcotic and it only takes a little taste to become hopelessly addicted.

:shepspends:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

overdesigned posted:

Well that's pretty awesome - congrats!

Bob A Feet posted:

and from that he selects ... Prowler

Huh, I had no idea the Marines were (still) flying Prowlers.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Duke Chin posted:

Well that's pretty awesome - congrats!

Huh, I had no idea the Marines were (still) flying Prowlers.

The marines are still flying hueys, cobras, and harriers. They'd probably fly skyraiders if they burned jet fuel.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

The marines are still flying hueys, cobras, and harriers. They'd probably fly skyraiders if they burned jet fuel.

Nah, sky raiders are too good at the coin role and don't have VTOL.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 24, 2014

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I wish we still had OV-10's. :(

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Richlove posted:

My main concerns are communicating over the radio (have not flown at a towered airport yet) and practicing pattern work at other nearby airports in the sim to better prepare myself for future flights.

Get on a live ATC website and listen to a busy ground, tower, and approach freq. Find a callsign and become that guy. First practice at listening for the callsign while you do something like read or play games. Then practice on listening to what your bro daddy says. Then talk over him and say what he will say. Most people that are nervous on radios are because of nerves; it is essentially public speaking.

In our defense all the Huey's we fly are brand new. 95% of the Cobras we fly are brand new. The C130's are brand new. Osprey, new. Only old poo poo is really really old and thats the jets.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Also don't worry too much about messing up, I transposed frequency/transponder numbers last night and they'll just repeat themselves so you can repeat it back correctly.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Yeah I knew all that. Just, for whatever reason, my brain and "Marines in Prowlers?!?" just didn't want to jive. :v:

Bob A Feet posted:

In our defense all the Huey's we fly are brand new. 95% of the Cobras we fly are brand new. The C130's are brand new. Osprey, new. Only old poo poo is really really old and thats the jets.
I've gotta be honest, the 4-bladed, twin engined hueys -y's and the cobra -z's are just :swoon:

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Alright, all caught up.

Just a heads up, if I don't show up for a week or two it is because I'm getting my house together to put on the market and on top of that my November schedule sucks balls so expect me to be touch and go for the next month.

I'd prefer PMs for OP updates or maybe a :siren: I dunno, something that makes it stand out and I'll get you taken care of. THANKS!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Bob A Feet posted:

Get on a live ATC website and listen to a busy ground, tower, and approach freq. Find a callsign and become that guy. First practice at listening for the callsign while you do something like read or play games. Then practice on listening to what your bro daddy says. Then talk over him and say what he will say. Most people that are nervous on radios are because of nerves; it is essentially public speaking.

The advice I've always given about radio communications is that it's just like your Current Events class back in 4th grade...use the 5Ws; Who are you, Where are you, What do you want to do, When you want to do it and (if it is nonstandard), Why you want to do it. Also consider adding "How you are going to do it" if you're in an uncontrolled environment or doing something non-standard.

On a related note, I did my private license almost exclusively in busy, controlled airspace; I found the first few times flying into uncontrolled airports to be very intimidating.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Richlove posted:

Student pilot checking in. I have been lurking this thread for awhile and finally decided to take the plunge late last year to start flight training.
I have logged 17.5 hours so far in a 1982 C-172 and can finally run the pattern and land the aircraft somewhat down the centerline at KLNP. My training has been sporadic due to cost/living in ROA and commuting to do training at KLNP. I have the funds again and attempted to go this past weekend to get an additional 3-4 hours of flight time in when the weather didn't cooperate (went from VFR to IFR conditions within 20 minutes :argh:)

Unfortunately due to work and family commitments I am grounded for the next couple weeks. I have a yoke and rudder pedals for FS 2004 but I have heard that one can develop bad habits from flightsims (i.e. staring at the instruments instead of scanning out the window). I've got the itch to buy X-plane 10 or Prepar3d but have held off so far. Do you veteran pilots have any opinions on flightsims during training for PPL and IFR? My main concerns are communicating over the radio (have not flown at a towered airport yet) and practicing pattern work at other nearby airports in the sim to better prepare myself for future flights.

Like you, I was told to not use FS2004 to supplement training in Private. YMMV, but the sim will be your friend in Instrument if you pursue that rating. It's unrealistic, but nice to be working on a PCATD and be able to pause the scenario with/without your instructor to go "Ok, what am I doing here". Having the map display the Elite PCATD offers is nice because it can aid your confidence in "Yeah, I know what I'm doing and the map shows I'm doing it RIGHT.".

e- The one thing I found about FS2004 once I started flying actual airplanes is that, as a friend put it, "Flight Sim ain't got poo poo on the real deal.". It could be used to help with Instrument (and one instructor I know uses FS2004 to supplement aerial and PCATD work), but it may not feel the same as before you started training.

As for radio work, LiveATC.net is a good option. If you wanted something to "interact" with, you could theoretically use FS2004. When you get a radio call, pause the game and anticipate what you'd say back. Then grade yourself based upon the pre-recorded response given when you hit whichever button corresponds to your reply to ATC.

I've only had one instance myself where it went from VFR to IFR quickly. I was turning laps in the pattern trying to build time knowing that an area of snow was on the way, but I could probably get .7-.8 in before it got to the area. On the first lap, I could see it far off in the distance. On lap two, it was closer. On lap three, Downtown Dayton (about 10 miles away) was disappearing. I put it on the ground just as landmarks about 5 miles away started to disappear. If I'd have had to go around for some reason, I probably had enough time go get back around, but by the time I got on the ground and was headed home from the airport (15 minutes or so), it was 3/4 mile and overcast at like 800. And that, kids, is why you don't get much flying done in Ohio in the Winter.

I don't miss the days of trying to eke out every tenth I could on flights.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 25, 2014

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Anyone wanting to interact with ATC on flight sim check out pilotedge.com.

It's a subscription service but the quality of ATC is very good. SoCal has plenty of airspace types to mess with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richlove
Jul 24, 2009

Paragon of primary care

"What?!?! You stuck that WHERE?!?!

:staredog:

Thanks for advice! I'm now listening to LiveATC feeds and downloaded the app on my phone. Should give me something different to do on my long runs now...

So to summarize: I could dig out my yoke, rudder pedals and FSX/2004 for fun, but it really will not benefit me much until I get my PPL and start trying to obtain an IFR rating. I will check out pilotedge as I don't mind subscribing to something if it will help develop my radio communication skill.

On a side note, it's a beautiful day out and my AOPA mag came in the mail. Grounded for today though. :(

• Locked thread