Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
It's not getting any better, either. Delta said they're going from 40 destinations out of seattle to 140... They are completely trying to muscle Alaska out of home turf.
It's amusing but I don't know what the end result is going to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I have no idea what Seattle and SFO are going to do. They're now huge tech hubs with absolutely zero available land around them and massive amounts of NIMBYism.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

ALPA and APA want to merge to fight scope clauses: http://www.thestreet.com/story/13480389/1/alpa-don-t-blame-pilot-shortage-for-republic-plight.html

The Slaughter posted:

It's not getting any better, either. Delta said they're going from 40 destinations out of seattle to 140... They are completely trying to muscle Alaska out of home turf.
It's amusing but I don't know what the end result is going to be.

I'd be curious to see their full list and where they're going to get the gate space for that. SEA seemed packed as it was when I was last there and that was 2013.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 4, 2016

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Traffic is only going to go up every year, and airport infrastructure is not going to keep pace. Do you think the next step will be using high capacity planes on the short regional routes? Kinda like the 747SP in Japan?

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

azflyboy posted:

The "battle for Seattle" has also completely overwhelmed the existing international arrivals facility (and the rest of the terminals), so Seatac is generally a terrible place to spend any length of time.

Still beats the hell out of O'Hare though, I've yet to be put on hold for a gate everytime I've been through Seatac. Although it's a bit ridiculous that my last couple trips have spent way more time in Seattle than in my home domicile :what:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Traffic is only going to go up every year, and airport infrastructure is not going to keep pace. Do you think the next step will be using high capacity planes on the short regional routes? Kinda like the 747SP in Japan?

No. As has been mentioned, the issue isn't that there isn't enough concrete, it's simply that there isn't enough concrete during six or eight twenty minute spans during the day. The rest of the day, the airport is mostly below capacity.

Airline route scheduling is black loving magic.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

ALPA and APA want to merge to fight scope clauses: http://www.thestreet.com/story/13480389/1/alpa-don-t-blame-pilot-shortage-for-republic-plight.html

I'd be curious to see their full list and where they're going to get the gate space for that. SEA seemed packed as it was when I was last there and that was 2013.

Seattle really doesn't have much space for gates, but they are planning on adding a few more. There's currently a project underway to expand and update the north satellite terminal (which should add eight extra gates there), but that isn't supposed to be finished until about 2020, and the expansion of the international arrivals terminal won't be done until late 2019.

Long term, there's discussion of expanding the north satellite even more (or building another terminal north of it), or expanding to the south to add capacity, but both of those involve fairly extensive removal or covering of existing roads or a parking lot, so nothing has been decided for either of those options yet.

As to where Delta is planning to get extra gate space, I have no idea. As of now, Seatac has 76 gates, and Alaska uses something approaching half of them (about 20 for Q400's, and around that many for 737's), so the remaining gates get split between Delta, Southwest, United, American, and everyone else at the field. I believe Seatac awards gate space based on how many flights an airline operates out of the field during a specific period each year, so Alaska has a pretty decent "home field advantage" by virtue of already having so many gates compared to Delta.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

No. As has been mentioned, the issue isn't that there isn't enough concrete, it's simply that there isn't enough concrete during six or eight twenty minute spans during the day. The rest of the day, the airport is mostly below capacity.

Airline route scheduling is black loving magic.

Well that still means that if delta wants the same times they need to move ERJs up to 717s. Or I guess those ERJ-195s they're buying.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

azflyboy posted:

Seattle really doesn't have much space for gates, but they are planning on adding a few more. There's currently a project underway to expand and update the north satellite terminal (which should add eight extra gates there), but that isn't supposed to be finished until about 2020, and the expansion of the international arrivals terminal won't be done until late 2019.

Long term, there's discussion of expanding the north satellite even more (or building another terminal north of it), or expanding to the south to add capacity, but both of those involve fairly extensive removal or covering of existing roads or a parking lot, so nothing has been decided for either of those options yet.

As to where Delta is planning to get extra gate space, I have no idea. As of now, Seatac has 76 gates, and Alaska uses something approaching half of them (about 20 for Q400's, and around that many for 737's), so the remaining gates get split between Delta, Southwest, United, American, and everyone else at the field. I believe Seatac awards gate space based on how many flights an airline operates out of the field during a specific period each year, so Alaska has a pretty decent "home field advantage" by virtue of already having so many gates compared to Delta.

Right now, A seems pretty underused, especially like A10-A14. I hate those gates though, soo far.
https://www.portseattle.org/ABOUT/COMMISSION/MEETINGS/2016/2016_01_26_RM_7a_Supp.pdf
Fairly interesting, sounds like B is going to become international widebody terminal.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The A gates are such an agonizingly long hike, too. I flew out of A14 last week and I thought I was going to end up in Tacoma before I got to the gate.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Yeah I really think there should be a train stop for A14 or better people mover or at least expansion of the moving walkways. Failing that, a little skybridge connector between S and A14 would do the trick too. It would also be nice if the light rail stop was better connected to the main terminal, like a moving walkway amongst the garage .

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

The Slaughter posted:

Yeah I really think there should be a train stop for A14 or better people mover or at least expansion of the moving walkways. Failing that, a little skybridge connector between S and A14 would do the trick too. It would also be nice if the light rail stop was better connected to the main terminal, like a moving walkway amongst the garage .

It'll never happen, this is the same city that built an airport light rail station that requires riders to walk a quarter mile in the cold to get to the terminal :v:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Kesper North posted:

It'll never happen, this is the same city that built an airport light rail station that requires riders to walk a quarter mile in the cold to get to the terminal :v:

Seriously why did they do that.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

CharlesM posted:

Seriously why did they do that.

Only poors use public transit so they don't want to spend money on it. (At least I assume that's why.) It's dumb as gently caress.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Kesper North posted:

Only poors use public transit so they don't want to spend money on it. (At least I assume that's why.) It's dumb as gently caress.

quote:

It boils down to – cost, airport operations, City of SeaTac land use plans and system speeds.

We initially looked at an option to put the station above the pedestrian bridges from the garage to the terminal. High costs, major construction and potential operational impacts to airport access and the tight curves into and out of that area sunk those plans. The Port also will need to expand the terminal at some point and we can’t be in the way of that.

We’ve also always had our eye on S. 200th and beyond. Tossing in what amounts to a side spur to get closer to the terminal door adds travel time going south or continuing north.

Which brings us to the City of SeaTac. They had a strong interest in the station serving the areas to the east of the airport. At the time, SeaTac had plans for a new “city center” in the area just east of the station. While those plans may be on hold, the station is still able to effectively serve SeaTac and the surrounding area better than it could if it were tucked against the terminal.

We think our location serves airport travelers’ needs very well. It’s the second busiest station on the entire line with almost 3 million people passing through last year…

[The port] couldn’t fit a moving sidewalk into the garage without impacting traffic flow on the floor below the walkway.
http://seattletransitblog.com/2013/07/05/the-walk-from-seatac/

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I'm glad I prepared to have absolutely no life when I decided to take a 135 jet job when I was still low time.

... Because I'm averaging 1 day off a month so far, which is going to be fun to explain when the quarter draws to a close and I have to meet rest regs...

Edit: had a needed talk with the people I need to talk to, I have a vacation coming up and probably not the bad kind!

Rolo fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 7, 2016

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
The FAA released their revised Part 23 proposal today.

There's a lot to wade through.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Bitchin' Betty retires!!!!

Watch the video, she's a cool gal.

http://allthingsaero.com/military-aviation/video-bitchin-betty-says-goodbye

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
We have an Atlas guy here, right?

http://www.atlasfacts.org/the-catering-blues/

Is this for real? I think I'd start packing some Lean cuisines if those are the kind of crew meals you're actually getting.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Two Kings posted:

We have an Atlas guy here, right?

http://www.atlasfacts.org/the-catering-blues/

Is this for real? I think I'd start packing some Lean cuisines if those are the kind of crew meals you're actually getting.

I can't speak for the quality of the catering. But management and the pilot group are digging in for a contract war, and the union is doing all it can to disrupt hiring and bring to light the issues the pilot group is facing. Both sides of the fight are being a bit silly. That website is funny.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum
Erk, just realised I have to renew my SEP this year... if anyone sees a PA28 flaring at 50 feet near Sherburn-in-Elmet in the near future apply for your beer in the usual manner!

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Animal posted:

I can't speak for the quality of the catering. But management and the pilot group are digging in for a contract war, and the union is doing all it can to disrupt hiring and bring to light the issues the pilot group is facing. Both sides of the fight are being a bit silly. That website is funny.

It's all a part of the negotiating strategy. There is no leverage against the company that is too superficial to exploit. The general public can sympathize with rotten food supplied to crews.

Semper Fi.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

ausgezeichnet posted:

It's all a part of the negotiating strategy. There is no leverage against the company that is too superficial to exploit. The general public can sympathize with rotten food supplied to crews.

Semper Fi.

Yep. It's also scaring the poo poo out of new hires and people who have been trying to join the company, who may not have been through labour scuffles already, and don't understand how these fights are fought. I had to sit down with a class-mate who, after reading APC and some union communication, was starting to panic about having made the worst choice of his life. I'm supporting the pilot group 100% to the extent a guy on probation can, but this will probably extend beyond that, and I know that what looks like a silly game to me are serious negotiating tactics, I just can't help finding it comical in a sardonic way.

Animal fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 11, 2016

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Animal posted:

sardonic

I learned a cool new word today.

Our "crew meal" scheme in the 135 world is always a total side of the spectrum. One day it's pop ups for 12 hours straight and I'm eating out of our own stock of m&ms and crackers, the next I'm eating someone's 400 dollar plate of fine cheeses they didn't even take out of the cabinet.

I gotta say, it's drat good cheese.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Our pilots gave up crew meals (vending machines in the crew rooms) a few years ago min exchange for a 5 cent/hr increase in per diem, so our crew meals consist of the stupid little pretzel packs we serve passengers, which means most of us just bring food on trips.

For a while, the station manager at one airport would buy sandwiches and bring them out to crews passing through there, but that stopped after a flight attendant wrote the guy up because she thought he was stealing the food from the airline, despite the fact that we've never served sandwiches on our airplanes.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

azflyboy posted:

For a while, the station manager at one airport would buy sandwiches and bring them out to crews passing through there, but that stopped after a flight attendant wrote the guy up because she thought he was stealing the food from the airline, despite the fact that we've never served sandwiches on our airplanes.

I trust that the flight attendant in question never had a pleasant trip ever again, right?

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

Animal posted:

Yep. It's also scaring the poo poo out of new hires and people who have been trying to join the company, who may not have been through labour scuffles already, and don't understand how these fights are fought. I had to sit down with a class-mate who, after reading APC and some union communication, was starting to panic about having made the worst choice of his life. I'm supporting the pilot group 100% to the extent a guy on probation can, but this will probably extend beyond that, and I know that what looks like a silly game to me are serious negotiating tactics, I just can't help finding it comical in a sardonic way.

I have to admit a lot of what has been going on has scared me a bit too. But you're right the union isn't going to let anything slide and at least to me it sounds like the pilot group is coming together on this. There is even a Facebook group you can go to and see people debate endlessly the finer points of the CBA and how to use it to get the company to do what it agreed to. Lets just hope all of this hoopla on both sides comes to something meaningful to us!

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

MrYenko posted:

I trust that the flight attendant in question never had a pleasant trip ever again, right?

She's written up several people for absolutely BS reasons (one captain got written up for saying "crap" while in uniform), and is basically a crazy cat lady who will talk endlessly at anyone who stands still long enough, so people goes out of their way to avoid flying with her.

Oddly, she seems to have zero clue that the rest of the flight attendants and the pilots can't stand her, but she transferred to another base a few months ago, which means I probably won't run into her again until I go back on reserve after upgrading.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Bidding 34% next month! All my dreams are gonna come true now, right?? Right?

The Slaughter fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 13, 2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Just finished Squawk 7700. I feel like I had a couple of his experiences myself in spite of not getting past Instrument. Jesus.

Animal posted:

ASA never collapsed, its still kicking as the CRJ side of ExpressJet as separate contracts, years after "merging ". I turn my badges in to them today and wave goodbye, nice regional to work for if it wasn't for the slow upgrade.

It just clicked in my mind to associate this post with a friend of mine, who was there for several years and finally bailed because "he wasn't getting anywhere". He's with Compass now and just upgraded after a year, but has to commute from Virginia to LAX and hitch cargo flights or creative airline routings for the best chance to get there.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Adding one more reason to the "gently caress Seatac" list, getting a wind shear warning yesterday on final, so ending up going around and vectored for a very bumpy second try. At least I got adoring looks from the FAs for not crashing the plane...

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I got a wind shear warning yesterday too. Good reminder that it can sometimes pop up unprovoked.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Man uncontrolled airports are usually pretty easy but yesterday was an absolute clusterfuck. There was a wind shift when I was in the middle of touch and goes with my student so we flew outbound and reentered the pattern for the opposite runway. There was one other person in the pattern switching as well but they were a full stop so we coordinated them jumping ahead of us. As that traffic was short final for 33, some boner comes on the CTAF saying he's taking runway 17 (there's only 15-33) I was like lolwut. :psyduck: Then as I was literally in the roundout someone comes on the CTAF saying they're crossing the runway. :negative:

So glad this airport is only a part time gig now and I'm full time at an airport with a tower. :unsmith:

edit:
oh and some boner called a 5 mile straight in "if there's no other traffic" to which to people, including myself, acknowledged as yes, there is traffic in the pattern. This didn't stop him and he cut two of us that were in the pattern off.

bonus points: I recognized the plane and it turned out the guy was a new instructor at my friend's flight school, he was going to give him a talking to

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 14, 2016

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Butt Reactor posted:

Adding one more reason to the "gently caress Seatac" list, getting a wind shear warning yesterday on final, so ending up going around and vectored for a very bumpy second try. At least I got adoring looks from the FAs for not crashing the plane...

I wonder what today is like.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Rolo posted:

I learned a cool new word today.

Our "crew meal" scheme in the 135 world is always a total side of the spectrum. One day it's pop ups for 12 hours straight and I'm eating out of our own stock of m&ms and crackers, the next I'm eating someone's 400 dollar plate of fine cheeses they didn't even take out of the cabinet.

I gotta say, it's drat good cheese.

Your company doesn't provide crewmeals?

We have a catering preference form where they'll order us food at our next stop when things pop-up. My company is awesome :3

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Imagine preparing to land at an away from home airport when suddenly you realize you’re holding almost full right aileron just to keep the plane level. It takes a few seconds to realize what’s happening, but a quick look out the windows confirms the left flap is full down while the right is retracted. Fortunately, your ailerons are properly rigged, so they are capable of full deflection to offset the effects of asymmetric flap deployment. After landing safely, a calm assessment of the situation can be made.

I stumbled upon this story and thought it was a little strange—would it not be safer to go‐around and land with flaps up? I’m not even an armchair pilot, though, so I’m asking.

Plane is a Cessna 182, airfield is at 400 ft elevation with 6000′ and 3500′ runways.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Platystemon posted:

I stumbled upon this story and thought it was a little strange—would it not be safer to go‐around and land with flaps up? I’m not even an armchair pilot, though, so I’m asking.

Plane is a Cessna 182, airfield is at 400 ft elevation with 6000′ and 3500′ runways.

The answer, as always is: It depends.

Assuming nothing else is wrong, and the guy was on final, a go around would indeed be the right call. But how he got to final without noticing the issue would be bigger question.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Tide posted:

The answer, as always is: It depends.

Assuming nothing else is wrong, and the guy was on final, a go around would indeed be the right call. But how he got to final without noticing the issue would be bigger question.

Probably extending flaps in the base and final turn. I always teach my students to never extend flaps until you're wings level on base or final so a split flap situation is quickly identifiable.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
My training is extend to 20 right before turn to base, 30 on base, full right after turn to final

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I learned 10 at the numbers, 20 on base once wings level, and 30 on final once wings level. These days, I've not been using the third notch on final and instead landing with 2 with a bit more speed. We have so much wind that it's easy to get ballooned or float on final with full flaps.

• Locked thread