Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Huh. No diploma, unfortunately, but 15 credits isn't much. Thanks for the suggestion. I can take some meteorology courses and other related stuff as well, in case this doesn't pan out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

Sarrisan posted:

Huh. No diploma, unfortunately, but 15 credits isn't much. Thanks for the suggestion. I can take some meteorology courses and other related stuff as well, in case this doesn't pan out.

What are your career aspirations? Many mainline carriers (some of the few decent paying pilot jobs) will require or strongly prefer a college degree in order to be hired. And no, it doesn't make a lick of difference what the degree is in. Also be careful taking on any debt to become a professional pilot. It could take you +10 years to achieve a livable income. Always pay as you go and leave yourself an out.

Like others have said, unless you can't think of doing absolutely anything else with your life other than flying airplanes for crap money, be cautious. It sucks to put the rest of your life on hold because you just figured being a pilot was something cool to do.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Two Kings posted:

Also be careful taking on any debt to become a professional pilot. It could take you +10 years to achieve a livable income. Always pay as you go and leave yourself an out.

It's pretty much impossible to avoid going into debt. (Do a back of the napkin for 250 hours of renting a bugsmasher and 100-150 hours of instructor time, plus checkrides, training materials, etc.)

But absolutely never ever put more money down on account than you'd be willing to lose in a flight school bankruptcy... this has happened multiple times with 5 figures of students' prepaid money vanishing with the school.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

Stupid Post Maker posted:

Nope, all the new hires already had their writtens complete. If you didn't then you haven't gotten hired by an airline yet. The oral and check ride are the same though

So what's the new ATP then? Can you do it at a CATS center or do you have to pay lots of money to ATP/Riddle?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

vessbot posted:

But absolutely never ever put more money down on account than you'd be willing to lose in a flight school bankruptcy... this has happened multiple times with 5 figures of students' prepaid money vanishing with the school.

Sometimes even six figures! ...fuckin' Silver State Helicopters/Jerry Ariola. :argh:

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004
PPL skills test today. Managed to get 3 hours sleep last night. :ohdear:

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Rickety Cricket posted:

So what's the new ATP then? Can you do it at a CATS center or do you have to pay lots of money to ATP/Riddle?

The new ATP is a complete overhaul of the written and the requirements to take it, but my understanding is that the checkride itself remains unchanged.

The current Practical Test Standards for the ATP were last revised in August, and those revisions were simply to add a reference to the new ATP written, but none of the standards for the oral or flight portion have been substantially changed since 2008.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I took the "new" ATP written (I think? The Gleim book preface talked about how the question bank is no longer published and their practice questions were only representative) just before the deadline, but it had questions and figures referring to the "new airspace reclassification to match ICAO" :lol: so that doesn't make sense.

So now is there gonna be a new new one along with the rule change going into effect?

vessbot fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 4, 2014

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Just got a class date at Ameriflight :toot:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

vessbot posted:

Just got a class date at Ameriflight :toot:

Gonna fly in Texas? We talk to a few Amflights each day in Corpus.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

Gonna fly in Texas? We talk to a few Amflights each day in Corpus.

Nope. Gonna do ground school in Dallas but they don't have any PA-31s there, so I'll be flight-training most likely in ABQ and then station in Socal.

I did get sorta close to you though a few years back picking up a Stearman from Galveston. Waiting out storms for a few days let me go to the space center.

vessbot fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 5, 2014

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

vessbot posted:

I took the "new" ATP written (I think? The Gleim book preface talked about how the question bank is no longer published and their practice questions were only representative) just before the deadline, but it had questions and figures referring to the "new airspace reclassification to match ICAO" :lol: so that doesn't make sense.

So now is there gonna be a new new one along with the rule change going into effect?

I'm assuming that the FAA made some changes to the written exam to bring it more in line with what's taught in the mandatory classes, especially since they made the test longer (125 questions) and dropped the different 121 and 135 versions of the exam.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Do Dispatcher applicants have to take the new ATP written or is it just pilots?

e- Apparently the test is still 80 questions, but are they drawn from the same test bank (i.e., the Gleim tricks are useless)?

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Nov 5, 2014

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Anyone have any words of wisdom for someone getting their private pilot cert?

I'm taking a part 61 ground school and have a few hours in the book flying. I'm 6'2" and my flight instructor is 6'6", and we squeeze into a c152. Oh what fun, but through the club the plane is only $65/hour, so it's worth it.

I have no interest in flying as a career, I just wanna fly around with my friends and look at poo poo out the window.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Finish your written test, don't procrastinate.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Slaughter posted:

Finish your written test, don't procrastinate.

Month number eight of written procrastination, checking in.

Don't be me.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

Sarrisan posted:

FYI most high paying flying jobs will be closed off if you don't have a degree, unless your uncle is the CEO of Boeing. Recommend getting a useful degree to escape retail instead of flying.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

The approach/tower controllers at AMA were exceedingly awesome accommodating my students plans yesterday, even when they blew through a couple altitudes. Here's a picture of my students bright as poo poo ADI with a bit of Amarillo in the background:

xaarman fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 5, 2014

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

xaarman posted:

The approach/tower controllers at AMA were exceedingly awesome yesterday accommodating my students plans, even when they blew through a couple altitudes. Here's a picture on radar downwind I took because the autopilot was on.

That's such an awesome picture. Yanking it for my desktop screen for a while.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Well you got me pre-edit, let me know if you want the full size one.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The one I got is 16x12. Is there a larger one?

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug

You're always flying around here on my days off, haha. I knew I heard a beechjet go over my apartment last night. Great picture!

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
If you use LogTen for logging and decided not to upgrade or have a Mac or an iOS device you might want to log your flight time on in the future, now is a really good time to "purchase" their Mac and iOS app for free. A couple of us bitched about them going to an $80/year subscription model, but their response to our bitching is to drop the subscription price to $50 but charge for the initial purchase of the apps. They're keeping the iOS and Mac apps free until Nov 7 then it jumps to $90, so buying now for $0 if there's a chance you might use it in the future seems like a wise move.

I bought both the Mac and iOS apps and then immediately deleted them since I plan to continue using the old versions, but if I do eventually cave and subscribe in the future this will save me money.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Tide posted:

The one I got is 16x12. Is there a larger one?

You're right, I accidentally uploaded the largest one.

Zochness posted:

You're always flying around here on my days off, haha. I knew I heard a beechjet go over my apartment last night. Great picture!

Probably, the T-1 makes a unique whine at 180 kias, so it's super easy to pick out.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Asked ATC for their phone number for the first time. The dipshit at CLE tower mumbled a landing clearance in non-standard phraseology, then acted pissy when I verified it. Then as soon as we landed he gave us critical instructions including an active runway crossing, while we were still above 100kts and working on breaking and transferring controls. When I called to verify if we were cleared to cross, he snapped at us "WHATS WRONG CAN'T YOU HEAR WHAT I SAY!?".

In big busy airports like ATL, LGA, ORD, DCA, DTW, and JFK they are actually thankful when you verify hotspot clearances. This guy has to be chewed and spit out.

-edit: the captain made the call. Another person took it and said that tower claims we missed a couple of calls, and that the he was just concerned whether his radio was working or not. Both statements are absolute bullshit, we did not miss a single call and it was obvious he was being hostile. He said they could pull the tapes and check for us. The captain told him to do as they please but remember that the day pilots are afraid to verify landing and hold short instructions is the day they would have an accident.

Animal fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 6, 2014

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
File an aviation safety report. It does help.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I know controllers have bad days too but I get really mad when they are pissy about you verifying, especially when they give unclear instructions or give them at an inopportune time.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Both sides get mad at each other all the time for slights both perceived and real.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Yeah I hear that happen all the time (Captain Happy). This guy though... he must have been having a lovely day or he absolutely hates being ATC, because it was obvious he was being an rear end in a top hat. "Whats wrong, did you not hear what I said!? Because I already told you to cross that runway!" practically shouting it like we were idiots.

If anyone can check the Cleveland tapes for the tower, it happened last night about 10-15 minutes before I made the first post about it.

Animal fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 6, 2014

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

File an aviation safety report. It does help.

Do this.

Not only does it actually get looked at and acted upon in necessary, but I think you get a letter in the mail from NASA. :v:

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
You do. I filed a lot flight instructing the Chinese. Yet to file one at current job though even after a year and a half.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I've encountered all sorts of disgruntled coworkers in my short career as a controller thus far. It's a healthy mix of complications with home life (due to poor family dynamics, or maybe their work schedule), psychological issues that go untreated because doing so would void their medical clearance and cost them their job, and complications resulting from being stuck in a high paying job that requires few prerequisites and no formal education. The latter means that many people will stick with ATC even if they hate it, because it's unlikely they'd be able to find equal paying work in another field. Also the job itself is stressful at times, and as long as you're able to separate airplanes your coworkers and the agency will overlook personality defects to a great extent because training your replacement takes too long.

I don't know what I'd do if I had to leave ATC, but I'm certain my pay would be lower by at least half.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
If you believe there's a safety issue and you didn't get a satisfactory response by attempting to speak to the person involved then you should write it up. I filed an airprox earlier this year because of a controllers actions which nearly resulted in a mid air. After going up to speak to the controller with the other pilot he seemed completely uninterested, and when we went to join the other pilot for a tea we found him trying to pin the blame on him. After that we decided to file. In our case it's not the first time there's been close calls when he was on duty.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

Animal posted:

If anyone can check the Cleveland tapes for the tower, it happened last night about 10-15 minutes before I made the first post about it.

Here's the feed for that time period http://archive-server.liveatc.net/kcle/KCLE-Twr-Nov-06-2014-0100Z.mp3

5121 checks in on tower at 1:59
The runway crossing is at 6:54

It sounded like he was unncessarily mumble racing through a lot of the clearances.

Were you flying with a South African?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Yep :) he's one of my best buddies in the company, a former Africa bush pilot, and now a check airman. Excellent aviator. Thanks for finding that, I'll listen to it to see if my recollection matches the reality. Also, the request for phone # happened on ground frequency.

-edit-
I listened to the tapes, the verbage is different than I remembered, but yeah the guy is just a grump. The tapes sound a bit muffled so its hard to tell the tones being raised, especially before and after the captain talked to him.

-edit 2-
We listened to it together. To cut the guy some slack, it seems the captain may have transmitted before I did. Seems he was asking me to verify and accidentally transmitted, tower verified it, and then right after I asked again. We were busy getting off the runway, he made the first clearance immediately after touchdown (please don't do this!!!), when we were deploying reversers and making callouts.

This would all have been hilarious if it had been a Delta Capt. Happy at the helm.

Animal fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 6, 2014

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
It seems like the system honestly is more geared towards punishing pilots than controllers. If a controller fucks up, I dunno what happens, but if a pilot fucks up, you may get a phone number and they start coming after your certs. Perhaps FK can shed some light on the other end of this? I do know separation errors etc get tracked but don't really know what happens on the other end of things. I've had bad instructions given to me that if I followed could have led to serious incidents - landing clearances with an aircraft still on the runway, turns directly into traffic in response to a "traffic alert", etc.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Most errors are processed in house and sent up to national for review and stat tracking.

We have a safety reporting program that excuses us from punitive measures for honest mistakes.

Much of the time, not a lot happens to controllers. I work with some pretty bad ones.

Something egregious, like an accident or anything that the media gets a hold of, could result in retraining, decertification, or termination. I just haven't seen it happen.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 7, 2014

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Sky Regional Q400 just crashed at the Edmonton airport...injuries reported and and the aircraft is substantially damaged.

E: Air Canada 8481, Calgary to Grande Prairie; flight diverted to Edmonton. Three passengers transported to hospital with minor injuries.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 7, 2014

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I really hope this was just a case of a blown tire causing a loss of directional control/gear collapse, instead of another round of gear issues with the Q400.

Since the Q400 is difficult to get consistently gentle touchdowns out of (the length of the aircraft limits pitch in the flare to 5 degrees or less, and the gear is pretty stiff), I can certainly see a scenario where the touchdown would impart enough force on the remaining tire of the affected gear to cause it to blow out (especially if the aircraft was heavy), so I'll be interested to see what the final report says.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Nov 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

That seems to be a likely scenario; from what I've been able to piece together, they blew a tire on takeoff and elected to divert to Edmonton. At the time, the crosswinds here in Calgary were very strong - 18 gusting 28 almost straight across the 17/35s, and with 11/29 closed, there was no better runway option either. Additionally, the aircraft was likely to be quite heavy on landing in Edmonton; to my knowledge, they try to tanker as much fuel as possible on their flights up to GP and Fort McMurray, both for cost reasons and to help speed up turnaround. So even with a moderate load factor (haven't heard how many were onboard at this time, but that flight flies more full then empty typically) the aircraft could be quite heavy, which would further complicate things as you mentioned.

It is still very early to speculate on the factors involved in this incident and how it all played out, but it does seem to be somewhat straightforward at this time.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Nov 7, 2014

• Locked thread