Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Spaced God posted:

Guys, I hate to say it, but we've been found out

quote:

My experience started as a freshly hired 25 year-old flight engineer for a major airline. My starting pay? $24,000 per year. During initial training guys worried about making ends meet.

Whoever wrote that forgot to adjust for inflation. $24k in 1988 dollars is about $50k today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

I...don't think Allegiant, Spirit, or Southwest are hiring at what they deem low time, regardless of 1500 being in place, but thanks for playing.

Its easy to look up at least...

Southwest posted:

Certificates/Ratings: U.S. FAA Airline Transport Pilot Certificate. Unrestricted U.S. Type Rating on a B-737 not required for interview, but required for employment1. "B-737 CIRC.APCH.-VMC ONLY" limitation is accepted.
Flight Experience: 2,500 hours total or 1,500 hours Turbine total. Additionally, a minimum of 1,000 hours in Turbine aircraft as the Pilot in Command is required2. Southwest considers only Pilot time in fixed-wing aircraft. This specifically excludes simulator, WSO, RIO, FE, NAV, EWO, etc. NO other time is counted.3

allegiant posted:

What are the minimum requirements to be a First Officer?

· High School diploma or equivalent; College preferred
· Minimum of 1,500 flights hours (fixed wing), Jet, and PIC time preferred
o All pilots must verify their flight time by logbooks
· Must have current FAA First Class Medical Certificate
· Must have a valid driver’s license
· Must have a valid passport
· Airline Transport Pilot Certificate, Airplane Multiengine Land (AMEL)
· Has not reached the age 65

spirit posted:

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
• 4,000 hours total time in fixed wing aircraft.
• 1,000 hours in multi-engine aircraft (at least 50 hours flown within the last 12 months.)
• Current FAA First Class Medical Certificate.
• Current Airline Transport Pilot License.
• Valid passport/documents with the ability to travel in and out of the USA and all cities/countries served by Spirit Airlines now and in the future.

PREFERRED REQUIREMENTS:
• 4,000 hours total time in fixed wing aircraft.
• 1,000 hours in multi-engine aircraft (at least 50 hours flown within the last 12 months.)
• A320 Type Rating.
• Undergraduate degree from an Accredited Four Year College or University.
• Experience in 121 airlines or turbojet aircraft.
• Experience in aircraft equipped with EFIS and/or FMS.
• Current FAA First Class Medical Certificate.
• Current Airline Transport Pilot License.
• Valid passport/documents with the ability to travel in and out of the USA and all cities/countries served by Spirit Airlines now and in the future.

Spirit has surprisingly picky minimums.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

This was the point of the story leading into their segment, which I missed the first couple minutes of: the seeming ridiculousness of pumping six figures into training and a degree to make $22-24k starting at a regional, which seems a liberal estimate based on what I've seen at AirlinePilotCentral in the past.

Clearly anyone that does that is insane and thus not qualified to hold a first class medical.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rickety Cricket posted:

How is it that if you can't get the lights on 33L, you don't just try for 33C? Why would they just turn around and go home?

The article is really confusing. Trying to correlate the airport diagram and the article it looks like the lit runways are significantly smaller. There's still a precision approach though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Did it have one of those click the mic to turn on systems? You think they disabled the system instead of just turning off that runway?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

He'd expressed his intent to do this last year and was interviewed by secret service. This news article has more information about his plan (which started last year) and the contents of the letters he sent to congressmen.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/elections/ruskin-mailman-tries-flying-to-capitol-in-gyrocopter-to-deliver-campaign/2225584

Can't believe they didn't see it coming.

The secret service that had agents going around bragging about their posts to prostitutes in Brazil, let several agents crash a car into the white house while DUI without penalty and let a crazy guy run past secure entrances and up to the 2nd floor of the white house? That secret service?

(I bet crazy old people threaten to deliver messages to washington dc constantly)

DNova posted:

Hey some loving rear end in a top hat in a gyrocopter did a thing that will certainly cause news reporters to ask ridiculous questions about GA and further damage its reputation.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/helicopter-lands-west-front-us-capitol/story?id=30339315

Was this gyrocopter was light enough to not require a license?

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 15, 2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bondematt posted:

Ultralight will now be included under Sport Pilot Cert in 3...2...1...

I can see it now....
Why was this crazy person allowed near an airplane? After this and the Germanwings tragedy should there be stricter restrictions on pilot's mental health?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fordan posted:

News report on NPR this morning was saying "if he came closer we were prepared to shoot him down..." How much closer to the Capitol can you get? On it?

With what exactly. :allears:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mortabis posted:

Obama's skeet gun

Legitimately the best option for shooting it down.

Real question is whether the secret service have any labradors.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Somebody operating a Pilatus requiring an ATP, maybe? I know there are a few EAS carriers using PC-12s as their weapon of choice.
Caravans too, I would assume?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SeaborneClink posted:

Bush ops in Caravans?

Edit: Any float charter, air taxi, medflight?

Scheduled float operations is mostly twin otters isn't it?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kenmore air even has international scheduled service using single engine sea planes out of Seattle. You must need an ATP for that right?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fordan posted:

And being in the northeast, avoiding Mode C veils is pretty challenging, so a transponder (and eventually ADS-B) isn't really optional. And God help me if I wanted to use my secret decoder ring to fly down to College Park in the Washington DC FRZ.

They seem to have trouble noticing ultralights in the DC FRZ.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Could a look down radar really tell apart an ultra light 20 ft above the ground traveling 30-50 mph from a flock of birds or a car? I imagine anyone that could answer would not be allowed to answer it in public but usually the way look downs work is by looking for fast moving stuff against the static terrain. I would think that an ultralight would blend in to the noise.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They had a propensity for crashing partly because the marines saw the never exceed ratings as a challenge.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fordan posted:

Anyone feel like flying to LAS tonight?

Looking forward to future boxing related NOTAMs.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I wonder if anyone asked the air force about overflow parking. :laugh:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Captain Apollo posted:

Can you explain any of this?

Okay looks like a lot of hiring in happening!

What does this have to do with staff deployments (what is that)
What airline is this?

Delta, look at the wings. He's saying to go from military into a shiny new preowned 717 he needs on average 3100 hrs military time or 4500 hrs combined military/post military civilian hours. That is a fuckton of hours. You do not get a fuckton of hours in a staff position.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The traditional path was military or regional.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Isn't that 100% airframe though? If you want an airline job afterwards to get the hours wouldn't you have to fly a 707, P-3/8, C-17, C-130 or C-5?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I was merely referring to be hours requirement, but F-18 pilots making enough hours makes sense. Probably also goes for anything else that would patrol over *random desert country*

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rolo posted:

Surprised the Feds didn't flip out about making safety a joke or some dumb poo poo.

Fun *deltalina finger wag* is not allowed on this or any FAA regulated flight.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That doesn't prove you can hear and follow crew member instructions in English. (Or whatever that phrase is)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

xaarman posted:

IFR makes you feel like a real pilot though. No clouds/icing/airport/atc/equipment restrictions are gonna stop me!

Pretty sure my cousin is dead because of that. Icing and a c170 on floats do not mix.

Edit: I know what you mean but...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Clearly we shouldn't have women in the cockpit because men will randomly forget how to fly an airplane and stall into the ground while discussing cold remedies.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That is true for all professions. Why do you think the birth rate is plummeting in the west.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Captain Apollo posted:

The 182 is so mild mannered I feel like it needs a separate endorsement. "High performance-lite"

You should try it with floats if you haven't. Its downright "low performance" when you throw those on.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

To the contrary, if nobody wants to fly then regionals will have to pay a reasonable wage for people to actually consider going through the training.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

What 3d resolution do you need for that kind of inspection anyways? What's usually called LIDAR isn't typically used for inspection.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

poo poo, 30 thou? Whats the required inspection time for an entire aircraft?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AWSEFT posted:

Unless you enjoy being like cattle then shoved in a dog crate.

My sister in law claims its great if you have a purse large enough to double as a weekend bag! (She's also like 5'4")

LAX-LAS can be done for about $70 which is probably on par with $20/each way southwest fares from the 90s.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rolo posted:

And it's your loving airplane.

This must be awkward if you instruct with it.

"My airplane"
"No it's loving mine
Your controls your voice"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

I suppose a piece of paper works too but you're going to get gas on your hands anyway. And oil. And dirt.

You should be wearing proper PPE for the precedure including gloves, a nomex flight suit and a respirator.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Seriously though glasses and some gloves would be a good idea.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

Seriously though I'm not putting on protective gear to preflight the kind of airplanes I fly.

I also don't suit up to fill my car with gas.

Tetraethyllead is readily absorbed through unbroken skin. When fueling your car you are never working above your head or taking samples of fuel. 100LL does have a low amount of lead but those lead compounds aren't things you gently caress with regarding exposure. Even very small amounts can have lasting physiological effects.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hauldren Collider posted:

Holy poo poo. Ok, you've persuaded me. I'm wearing gloves.

The Ferret King posted:

Someone should tell all the CFIs. I nominate hobbesmaster.

Jealous Cow posted:

I'm not worried about getting a bit of 100LL on my hands occasionally. Tetraethyl-lead is bad news, but getting half a teaspoon on bare skin will only give you 1.6% of the permissible skin exposure for TEL according to OSHA over an 8 hour period. So wash your hands after and don't pick your nose and you'll be fine.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg/npgd0601.html

http://www.statoilaviation.com/en_EN/pg1332347009500/ar1334072085837/SFRAviation/avgas100ll.html

Yes small spills aren't going to kill you with lead poisoning if you wash your hands, but the point was to just be more careful than you would when using unleaded gas on your car.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

azflyboy posted:

From what I've heard, there were several low speed incidents at altitude this year, which may have been exacerbated by SKW issuing ECON cruise speeds that were slow enough to be a setup for an inattentive crew to get themselves in trouble, which is why they also issued new minimum cruise speeds.

Skywest also limited their CRJ-200's to a maximum of FL280, which is equal parts depressing and entertaining.

Just got off a 2 hour long Skywest CRJ200 flight, the FO said "climbing through-to, TO 27,000 feet" I like to believe that it was her disbelief that they were cruising that low.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I bet they only gave him a 30 day suspension because if they gave him enough that he'd actually pay to fight it an administrative law judge would see that he used an FAA publication and the judge would blow up and demand they fix it.

Perhaps too cynical.

Also: John Kerry demanded that no TFRs be put over cities he campaigned for president in. Probably because as a general aviation pilot in New England he found them ridiculous.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KodiakRS posted:

This right here is a steaming pile of %100 pure bullshit. Sure, this guy hosed up but not willfully, and not criminally. Yet they denied his ASRS form? The whole point of the program is to get people to open up about things that we would otherwise not know about, and they're not going to open up about them if the FAA is just going to ignore the system (because :reasons:) and hit the guy with a cert suspension anyway.

It's not a criminal case though, it's a civil license suspension.

ASRS isn't going to count after you've been "pulled over." If you can get immunity to the violation after you've already been caught then there is literally no way for anything to be enforced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Yes, but again, there is case law arguing that the FAA doesn't regard ADS-B distributed TFR information as complete or accurate, either.

Is there case law or just the FAA citing the pilot and the pilot not contesting it because it would cost a lot to get it in front of a judge?

• Locked thread