Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jealous Cow posted:

Ahh ok. So I wonder why we seem to be rotating and lifting off so late?

It's really disconcerting to see the other end of the runway pass so closely under you.

Because they're doing a flex take off at less than full power. If the runway is significantly longer than you need you can use a lower power setting and save fuel. You still have to hit V1 with room to to stop, but it can be a very "leisurely" take off roll.

If you ever end up on a flight where they have to use short field procedures you'll notice it. And not just because the flaps are noticeably down and the engines are spooling up when the brakes are on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sounds kinda like the 172rg - a dumb aircraft except for the training check boxes it ticked.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KodiakRS posted:

About that. Apparently the CRJ has a fuel driven flap system because every time you put them out you suddenly "lose" several hundred LBS of fuel.

If you had said "The CRJ has a fuel driven flap system and you lose several hundred LBS of fuel when you put them out" I'd totally have believed it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KodiakRS posted:

The more I hear about the MU-2 the more it sounds like a terrible plane. Yet every time I bring it up people say "It's not a dangerous you just have to understand how to handle it." I'm starting to think those people are wrong.

Well, you could say that for every aircraft with a type rating then?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Two Kings posted:

Crazy. I feel like that could have been solved with a quick google search or asking a line guy.

When I was flying the Pilatus I used to jokingly ask for the single engine prop rate from the girls at the front desk and honestly some of them didn't know the difference between that and a skyhawk.

Their fault for not specifying piston. :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

I have heard that one time on a xc some students got stuck in Kingston overnight because they didn't call ahead. The refueling place was closed, and they didn't have enough fuel to take off again so they have to sleep in their 172.

Good practice for their future careers at a regional! :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/LuckyLefty_711/status/851408272653463553

Wow they're dumb

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

vessbot posted:

HTF is overbooking legal anyway? I get that it's in boilerplate contract, but it's clearly marketed as selling you a seat. Would the FTC allow a store to sell you, say, a TV with a clause in that pamphlet with a bunch of fine print in 6 different languages that says there's a small chance they'll come take it back later?

But if you ordered a tv and they ran out they're under no obligation to get you one, just to refund you your money.

I'm pretty sure they're supposed to deny you boarding not kick you off. There's footage of that guy getting back on so I suspect the gate agent realized they hosed up badly.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 10, 2017

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i am kiss u now posted:

And yet during this whole time of escalation no one else volunteered to get off the plane? I agree that it's absolutely excessive but I'd be surprised if it didn't take a while to reach this point. He may have become hostile and I think it's hard to automatically point the finger without all the facts.

According to the various articles, the story is that they needed 4 seats for a crew to fly or the next day. There were 2 takers. They were offering a 3pm flight Monday, so a delay of close to 24 hours. That's missing a day of work. Not wasting a PTO day, even if it's available, is probably worth a lot more than the flight coupon (don't they expire in a year anyways?).

The proper solution was to buy a drat taxi for the crew since it's a 4.5 hour drive and eat whatever rest delay that entails. I'm sure United appreciates the customer service republic is providing on their behalf!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pryor on Fire posted:

Dumb question for those of you in the industry: are United employees affected by this at all? Like does the crew think "jesus christ I want no part of this poo poo" and quit ever after an incident like this, or is it all just "keep punching the clock no matter what?"

A few years ago a tech company I was consulting at got linked to and implicated in a bunch of government surveillance programs, and about half the team quit over two years because they just didn't want to participate in that. Uber is another good example, they have lost hundreds of employees over the past few months due to their bad behavior. Does the same thing happen in airlines to any extent? Does anyone at United actually give a poo poo and want to quit or is that just not a thing that happens?

The better question is will Republic see any fallout?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mortabis posted:

If they were cutting pay then, like, yeah I'd get the outrage but the fact that the CBA prevents them from handing out more money is kind of amazing!

Maybe they should be paying current pilots 10k more.

• Locked thread