Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
movax
Aug 30, 2008

I used to live 0.25 miles from a small airport in Ann Arbor (sup Animal) and in three years always thought it'd be nice to learn to fly.

Well, now I'm in Seattle and I've decided I want to loving learn how to fly a seaplane. Step 1, getting my basic private pilot's license going so I can at least take friends up and around.

Anyone in this area / PNW have any recommendations? Lots of options, lots of FBOs out here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Captain Apollo posted:

First step, move back somewhere where it's not so cloudy and rainy all the time and learn how to fly there.

It's summer right now, so here's my chance to go VFR. Guess the fall's a good time to continue into IFR.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

Fun fact. My first ATC facility was supposed to be Ann Arbor. 3500ft paved runway, intersected by a grass strip. Tower only.

Thankfully, I got my assignment changed.

Eh, short hop to downtown and it is a college town -- students are fun. But the pay didn't sound fun...

The Slaughter posted:

movax when you say seattle, is KRNT convenient for you? cause that's sort of the seaplane activity hub around here.
BEFA would be the best if you plan to rent the floatplane and actually plan on ever taking it solo or taking it on cross countries. Literally nobody else will, so if you don't plan on buying one, it will be nothing but a merit badge or you always have to bring an instructor with you.
You can just get sponsored by a CFI to join as a guest member. It's a pain though and the dues are high. I quit because I wasn't flying enough to justify the $100/mo in dues. If you're flying a bunch though the hourly rates are fantastic because you pay tach instead of hobbs so all your pattern work for example is nearly 1/2 price if you make nice power off approaches like you should in any light single piston aircraft.

FK, ann arbor wouldn't have really been that bad. When I was there, I never saw anybody actually use the grass runway. And it was pretty slow. You would have just been looking out the window most of the time.

Yeah, it can be. I was doing some research on the seaplane places, and while anyone could take the coursework, they wouldn't let you just rent them and go do your own thing.

Still have to start with the regular training before that though, I figure I can go 'anywhere' for seaplane stuff after learning the basics. Good thing I don't like money!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Animal posted:

Flew this bird a few days ago from ILN to SEA. Flies pretty good but has an annoying quirk. Condensation builds up in the cockpit in between the circuit breakers and the windows, which weeps and drips down all over your paperwork. Otherwise, nice plane.

Nice! You didn't get to do the Seafair flyover though, I take it?

• Locked thread