Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
Jegus please timg your images, they are huge(!). I don't want to report you for awesome pictures though.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/misc.php?action=bbcode

Edit: I see you're linking them now. That works too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
Man, that 1500 hour rule just feels like a wall you'll never be able to climb. I got my PPL, but it felt like every hour of flight time I earned just took so much sacrifice. I'm not sure I even hit 100 due to financial restrictions, 1000 seems nearly impossible.

I'm more and more convinced every day that we're going to join the rest of the world with indentured servants cadet programs.

Congrats to all of you who soldier on.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

Jealous Cow posted:

Anybody here receive instruction at
Weltzien Skypark in Wadsworth, OH?

Used to be local to them, did ground school there. I trained at nearby 3G3, which used to be similar in price but with a longer runway. You will learn how to do short field pretty well at Skypark, which can benefit you later on for sure.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

Jealous Cow posted:

I have family in Cleveland so I'm considering taking two weeks off and slogging through my private and maybe get started on instrument.

Ah, got it. Weather in Ohio can be unpredictable, but you could probably build some time pretty inexpensively in the area, at least by comparison. The new FBO at 3G3 is Premier, which also teaches out of Burke Lakefront (Cleveland) if that's easier for you to get to. Their planes: http://www.premierflightacademy.com/premier-fleet.htm

Note: I never got to fly Premier's stuff, my learning was all with the previous FBO/school. Just pointing out the option. I moved to CA last year after spending 8 years about 10 miles away from Wadsworth.

I do miss those prices, just generally speaking. I think you'll find the instruction will be cheaper at Skypark than with Premier, but you could probably do alright either way. Skypark is just off the highway, which makes the approach from the north interesting but leaves it accessible via car. (The air comes up off said highway and gives you a little "bump" just as you approach.) Do call ahead and discuss your plans with either, as it would be good to know that you'll have an instructor waiting and available for the daytime hours in the quantity you're looking for. The reputation for either is reasonable for instruction, but you'll likely find newer avionics in Premier stuff.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

Captain Apollo posted:

I decided I would look into and see how I could benefit the next generation of aviators.

Please do evaluate the org for yourself, there are good and bad people depending mostly on where you happen to be. One of the blended squadrons would probably be best if you want to help out the younger folks, though it often seems like the planes don't get distributed that way. Find out for sure, see if it agrees with you.

If, for whatever reason, it doesn't officially work out: I'll mention that my EAA chapter did young eagles flights for the CAP kids on some pre-arranged days. If the kids don't normally get to go to the aircraft, that might be a way to establish a relationship with the younger folks without having to deal with the military structure yourself.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

CBJSprague24 posted:

After hauling rear end to the phone inside the school, I got Very Stern Voice from Flight Service.

I went to a seminar recently where they noted if you sign up on https://www.1800wxbrief.com/ you can now get an "easy close" flight plan where they text you and you can close it right on the spot from your mobile. Haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like it would be really convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
Anyone care to recommend a school in northern Atlanta? I'm going to be there for a little while soon, might try flying while I'm around.

Thanks!

• Locked thread