Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Duke Chin posted:

Well that's pretty awesome - congrats!

Huh, I had no idea the Marines were (still) flying Prowlers.

The marines are still flying hueys, cobras, and harriers. They'd probably fly skyraiders if they burned jet fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

DNova posted:

Man, how awful that must have been, to sit in a machine held by its own power stationary in the sky like some kind of a wizard king for half an hour.

I got to run one of these once, and I'm an enlisted maintainer.

Radalt couple on. Dial radalt bug up to 50 feet slow. Helicoper flies itself. Down to zero slow. Amazing.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

KodiakRS posted:

I think you may want to take a second to ponder the mutual exclusivity of those statements.

Apollo? Look critically at HIS OWN actions? Never!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

xaarman posted:

Challenge accepted. Where you at?

I think he means "don't do it on the job." Which is a good lesson for pilots to learn from controllers.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

hjp766 posted:

This is the problem when trying to describe things you work with daily... the total number of manual pages we have to deal with runs to about 10000 (Ops A, B, C & D, Ground Ops Manual, PPP, PSA, FCTM Vol 1 & 2, then all FCNs (comprising General, Flight Deck & Fleet specific))

Now when EASA rules kick in at the end of the year someone can explain all the new versions of those to me!

Yes, it is a challenge to be clear and not assume people who aren't in your industry know vague references to thousands of pages of arcane documents. You may eventually learn. This whole thread and forum in general are FULL of people who know how to take advanced concepts and not turn them into acronym salad or jargon.

There was a problem in the early days of the thread with people saying stuff like "I got a Q code from EYR to PQB! WTF." with responses of "Dude, get Z or G into PQB, duh!" Enough people in this thread are untrained and complained about the confusion, so those people making the jargon-filled posts did one of two things:

1) Learned to post better
2) Quit posting

Your options are there.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

helno posted:

Here is my partner and I with our ferry pilot somewhere over New Brunswick.

"Betty Ford Clinic" is pro pilot-hat for sure!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Some idiots were playing with a bright green laser in the parking lot today, shining it in the general vicinity of aircraft. I yelled at them and told them to quit it, explaining that it's no joke to be blinded when flying at low level at night. To whom else should it be reported?

I assume if they hit the cockpit the flight crew will report the lasing incident; if I supply information into "the system" theoretically the FAA or NASA or FBI whomever can contact me and officially ruin these peoples' lives.

e: finally found it: https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/safety/report/laserinfo/

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It doesn't look like that would apply for me; I've been on shore duty for the last year, and it's probably a good idea to do the test again anyway since it's been so long.

Now, if a military flight physical counts towards your Class 3 medical certificate, that would be pretty nice. I remember having to get a separate physical from an FAA doc during training, but maybe that was some special training bullshit. Not a huge deal if it doesn't, it would just cut out one extra pain in the rear end.

Good to know that the hours still count, though!

A military flight surgeon can fill out the FAA form. When you get your next flight physical, that should be all you need.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

EvilJoven posted:

So how many of you keep a roll of premium TP in your flight bag so you don't have to suffer the indignity of lovely single ply airplane/airport bathroom TP?

Now that I've mentioned it, how many of you are thinking I'm a god damned genius?

I have a TP tube with some good TP wrapped around a ballpoint click pen inside the tube, wrapped in about six wraps of duct tape with some string on the outside, shoved into a pair of socks. There is a world of MacGyver solutions in those scant cubic inches, plus the inherent value of all the constituent parts. Now that butane lighters are kosher on planes again, I should throw one of those in the tube as well.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

The Slaughter posted:

It's sort of bullshit anyway as the wet adiabatic lapse rate is nowhere close to the dry adiabatic lapse rate. 1.98 is as much a loving guestimate as 2.0 is.

Are we really quibbling when it's degrees celcius per thousand feet? Mix all possible unit types, here.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Tide posted:

My second and then primary instructor* insisted on making power off accuracy 180 landings the 'norm' as a cure for my landitis for me wanting everything to be perfect during the landing evolution. To this day, I still prefer/favor it as a normal landing

*Ex Navy guy that tended to fly the plans pretty hard

I learned to fly with an (ex?)Air Force pilot, and I always turned base-to-final high, pulled power all the way off, and intercepted the glideslope over the fence. He insisted I flew "navy patterns." My GPS tracks show I was flying a 4 degree glidelslope, but that always felt way, way, way more comfortable to me, and I could grease landings that way. The 3 degree slope felt so shallow, like I was always too close to the ground and had to keep power in just to keep the plane from falling out of the sky. I think this is a flight sim thing; high, power-off patterns way above glideslope are an easy stick in flight sims. Even in the real airplane, I was landing on >5000ft runways in planes with minimum landing rolls of 2200'. Yes, I fully understand (and understood then) that you should practice for the worst approach you ever make, but I want to just land the plane perfectly thirty times in a row, and then I can get a feel for where the errors can be. After fifteen thousand landings (in eight thousand flight hours [USAF]), my instructor had a Right Way to do things. I bounced landings the first few times, but never landed particularly hard, and never landed more than a couple hundred feet from the intended touchdown point. This is pretty good for student pilots, and my last landings before solo and my solo landings were all really awesome; and all done at the "navy pattern" glideslope of around 4 degrees starting at a 1 mile final.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fOKnQWZR3g
Kurt Russel Gets It.

• Locked thread