Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

food-rf posted:

So, eighty relatives of people who died in the Germanwings murder-suicide have just filed a lawsuit against Lufthansa flight training in the US (where the guy was trained): http://www.koco.com/national/germanwings-crash-us-flight-school-sued/39005892

Any folks from the US willing to comment on what the effects of that could be, especially regarding the large volume of foreign nationals (not just Europe but also Asia) receiving training in the US?
To me as a foreigner, it seems like it could be serious trouble for the training industry in the US, right?

Only if they win the lawsuit. And then probably still only for Airline Training Center Arizona. But I don't see any likely legal grounds for them to win; the flight school isn't responsible for medically qualifying a pilot; that's the pilot and Aviation Medical Examiner who issued his medical. The only likely liable parties are Germanwings/Lufthansa since he was acting on their behalf and whoever issued his medical/provided medical care to him, but those are likely in Germany where I'm going to guess it's not as easy to file a lawsuit.

e:

MrYenko posted:

What the hell does his flight training have to do with the mental state required to nose-dive an airplane full of people into a mountain?

See, if they only taught him to take off and not to descend this couldn't have happened! Nothing ever goes wrong with student pilots who only care about takeoffs and not landings.

fordan fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Animal posted:

Hey movax, whatsup in WA? I am in Brooklyn now.

I'll I've got to say is that everyone I know who did their floatplane add-on have universally hailed it as the most fun you can have with your pants on.

It is, but basically all the schools only do it as an add-on, so unless you own your own seaplane you're not going to be able to do your solo time since they won't rent their aircraft without a CFI on board.

e: Which has already been said and understood after rereading what everyone has said.

fordan fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 30, 2016

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

PT6A posted:

Did you do your training out of a towered airport? I did mine out of one of the busiest GA airport in Canada, towered of course, and while apparently a lot of people find that chaotic, I'd take it any day over an uncontrolled airport. The worst thing that happens is you gently caress up and they tell you what to do in a Very Stern Voice, instead of being left to your own devices to gently caress up in any number of ways (EDIT: and deal with other people who might also be loving up at the same time)! :v:

What, it's fun at uncontrolled airports! Nothing beats being on a right downwind for runway 1 while someone is on an unannounced 45 for left downwind to runway 19. Happily we saw each other before bad things happened, and he somehow ended up right on my tail on the right downwind (a 225?) with my unhappy CFI telling me unprofessional things like "I'll give you a dollar if you can keep the aircraft slow enough on final to make him go around."

This was the same training flight where we doing touch-and-goes at the local controlled airport when we had to do a 90 turn 300 feet off the runway because another aircraft practicing IFR approaches stopped responding to the tower (instructor probably turned down the radio or they fumbled to switch from approach to tower) and we were head-to-head with them. They got the Very Stern Voice when they got back on frequency.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Apparently Plane & Pilot was napping when the FAA published the regs to the Federal Register back in June.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

Haha their official customer guidance on unused tickets is "issue a chargeback"

Not much other advice you can give when going into bankruptcy. Customers who are owed flights are now creditors, and they don't have better priority before the bankruptcy court than any other creditor and worse than some. Better the customer get made whole by their credit card company who will then be the creditor trying to squeeze blood from the dead airline stone.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Jealous Cow posted:

I'm curious what happens with the merchant services agreements during bankruptcy? Would the credit provider even be able to chargeback? Would the chargeback become a debt as part of the bankruptcy and subject to discharge?

The merchant bank would probably be a creditor if they didn't see it coming with the previous chapter 11 bankruptcy and crank up the reserve requirements to have more of the failing buisness' cash on hand to fund chargebacks with (which would kill cash flow and hasten the bankruptcy of course).

The aircraft are probably leased and will go back to the lessors. Curious how much more in assets they're likely to have to pay creditors (and that haven't already been used as collateral), especially since they'd already been operating in Chapter 11 before being forced into liquidation, since debt acquired after bankruptcy have precedence.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

i am kiss u now posted:

I didn't really realize at the time that taking an SSRI would totally gently caress up my poo poo. The medication helped, it really did and I just stayed on it because there was really no harm. When I went on it, I hadn't flown in like 5 years and I didn't intend to in the near future. Well, I got back into flying in the summer and when my medical expired in September, it was GG. Ugh.

I'm looking at the FAA website and if I stay off of it for 60 days, I can apply for "regular reissuance" with a note from my prescriber indicating that I'm not a lunatic. That's how I interpret anyway.

Taken from here: https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/app_process/exam_tech/item47/amd/antidepressants/

Did you go back in to get a medical and get deferred/declined? If not, and assuming your mental illness isn't too severe*, you could also just wait for medical reform to go through in the next 6-8 months and fly with just a logged doctor visit.

*Too severe being this per the AOPA FAQ:

quote:

personality disorder that is severe enough to have repeatedly manifested itself by overt acts; psychosis defined as a case in which an individual has manifested or may reasonably be expected to manifest delusions, hallucinations, grossly bizarre or disorganized behavior, or other commonly accepted symptoms of psychosis; bipolar disorder; and substance dependence within the previous two years as defined in FAR 67.307(4).

e: never mind, looked back at your post history and it looks like you did actually go in and get rejected. :negative:

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

It's also funny because I think I was expecting it to be some sort of adrenaline rush or for me to be nervous, but in reality it was almost like relaxing and serene. Like the perfect blend of actively controlling a freaking airplane (with an instructor of course) and enjoying myself. I think my bpm heart rate was higher talking about how psyched I was to continue doing it than it ever was in the air. The instructor pretty much handled the landing completely once I descended to 1500 I think. I was kind of relieved about him doing that ALL himself at that point, but the ease with which he landed it was incredible.

Definitely want to continue. My instructor was recommending 2-3 times a week if I seriously want to do this, which isn't out of the question but will probably have to wait until after the new year. I bought a log book. Didn't proofread and I'm full of Dewars.

If you want to do it, planning on 3 times a week is a good idea. You probably won't fly 3 times a week because of things like weather and aircraft scheduling and the like, but planning for 3 means you'll probably fly several times a week, and that really does help progress and means possibly finishing in fewer hours since you spend less time covering the same material repeatedly.

Also if you are serious, you may want to talk to the instructor about how he would want you to do ground school. He may want you to do ground school with him, but many instructors don't care and are just as happy to have you go do it on your own, using video training like King Schools or Sporty's, a textbook system like Jeppensens, or the free FAA textbooks. That's something you could do leading up to the new year.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

PT6A posted:

Yes, that's pretty much it. Most places that rent planes out will want you to do a review with them specifically even if you have experience on that aircraft type anyway. Insurance requirements also play a factor, though I don't know much about that personally speaking.

There's stuff like https://www.openairplane.com/ where in theory you do a "universal checkout" in a particular model of aircraft and other participating FBOs will accept that checkout and rent to you without requiring a local CFI check you out. But that's not hugely common yet.

And when you move to a new aircraft, pretty much everyone goes up for a few hours with a CFI familiar with the aircraft to figure out sight pictures and new systems/checklists and the like. Unless your aircraft has only one seat, in which case good luck to you.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Captain Apollo posted:

Aviation Megathread | After years of arguing to do the "right thing" on medical reporting after years of browbeating in flight school from 21 year old instructors, SA forum pilots are getting older/wiser and having medical issue and agree to gently caress the Feds because of their bro-authoritarian ways that are counter productive to the general well-being of the pilot workforce.

As far as I can see, no one here has changed their position unless your CFI training has had you abandon your anti-authority "Just lie on the medical" position. Everyone (but you) has always said the system was seriously flawed and to not report anything you aren't required to, but don't lie on things you do have to report and use your judgement about your readiness to act as PIC on issues that pop up between reporting requirements.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Pryor on Fire posted:

European views on what are the desirable places to visit in the USA are so loving baffling to me. Florida? Theme parks? Man, what a waste of time, no wonder everyone on that side of the pond thinks we're all retarded.

It's warm and sunny and has things to do.

So, anyone know what happened with the loss of separation with Air Force One & a GA aircraft (and is able to talk about it)? https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-08/investigators-said-to-probe-plane-too-close-to-air-force-one

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Rekinom posted:

I don't think anybody involved anticipated the cop being as rough as he was.

In hindsight, I'd tell the cops as soon as they decided they needed to get physical, to let me know. Then i would make all the pax get off the plane. Then I'd reboard them minus whoever needed to get bumped.

"Everyone going to Louisville, step forward.

Whoa, not so fast, Doctor Feelgood"

With the delay that involves you'd probably still end up in the semi-ironic position Republic reportedly found itself in: the delay getting the man off the flight and cleaning the blood and such meant that the deadheading crew couldn't meet the rest requirements to make the morning flight they were scheduled for, so the whole thing was for no purpose.

And the cop who dragged him off was put on leave Monday pending an investigation, with the Chicago Aviation Department essentially announcing that he hosed up and didn't follow approved procedures.

The gate agent(s) serving this flight would be Republic employees, not United, right? I'm taking a lot of delight watching United take so much heat for the actions of their business partner in a "you built this drat system" kind of way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

PT6A posted:

Right, but is any of that PIC? I'll be honest, I haven't looked into it much here, but my understanding is that the instrument syllabus has no PIC time.

The FAA lets those of us down here log PIC time anytime we are the sole manipulator of the controls for an aircraft in which we are rated, even if not acting as actual PIC. In IMC receiving training? log PIC. No medical, no current flight review getting refresher training? log PIC.

https://www.aopa.org/training-and-safety/learn-to-fly/legacy-pages/aviation-subject-report-logging-pilot-in-command-pic-time

fordan fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 12, 2017

• Locked thread