Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

KodiakRS posted:

Aviation is like a $100/hour narcotic

I wish..

That being said it's great getting others enthusiatic about GA. Definitely go to a fly in when it's looking good. The last one I went to was great, just a small gathering of about 6 aircraft on a small grass strip next to a rather nice house for a bbq and chat. A little aerobatic display and taking up some people for a short flight. All good fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
If you believe there's a safety issue and you didn't get a satisfactory response by attempting to speak to the person involved then you should write it up. I filed an airprox earlier this year because of a controllers actions which nearly resulted in a mid air. After going up to speak to the controller with the other pilot he seemed completely uninterested, and when we went to join the other pilot for a tea we found him trying to pin the blame on him. After that we decided to file. In our case it's not the first time there's been close calls when he was on duty.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

Rolo posted:

On a warmer note, I got to play with a conventional O-540 Maule in the Arizona desert today. I'll post pics tomorrow if anyone wants to see.

Yes, right up my alley as it were.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
That's where a husky is useful.

Also tailwheel supremacy.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
doing the circuits on the bush pilot forums. http://vimeo.com/100835454 It's a fantastic watch, pretty interesting and looks set to be a good series.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
A bit over the top American but some nice footage and what looks to be another possibly good series. Off the charts:
http://vimeo.com/90385661
great choice of back country aircraft.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Congratulations on the aeroplane helno!

Looks like a whole lot of fun.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
I think that was a relative of his girlfriend's.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

KodiakRS posted:

I will admit that I don't know much anything about the finances of owning a small aircraft but I thought most of the cost was in upkeep/fuel/insurance and not actual aircraft acquisition. Isn't a high-ish performance retract going to cost a lot more than a Cherokee in all those areas?

You've hit the nail on the head pretty much. The general feeling I get from people I've spoken to in the UK about them is that they're a little cramped, with fairly poor prop clearance and difficulty getting some parts.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

Tide posted:

Is anyone at allinterested in building an aviation website/forum? Gear it towards pilots that arent doctors and dentists? I realize there are a few out there, and it's a really small population to pick from. I just think it could be done better.

Backcountry pilot I suspect isn't majority d/d . Euroga also has a more business centric membership.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

Tide posted:

Have successfully sold the idea to the boss (wife) that buying a plane is better than renting.

It is a good day.

Great news,

What are you looking at?

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

Tide posted:

Not looking at anything fancy. PA28 or something like that. Warrior II. Maybe a Mooney.

Enjoy, As long as you can keep the ongoing costs, a/c ownership is very rewarding. Especially if you want to bugger off on longer trips

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
I'm a private pilot with no commercial aspirations. From talking to friends who are commercial pilots generally speaking they love the flying part of their job and dislike the rest of it. I'm a big fan of grass trips / off field flying. Low landing fees and getting exactly where you need to go / having fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
I'd also say if you can find a tailwheel instructor happy for you to your ppl in straight off go for it. It may take marginally longer to learn, but you won't pick up the bad habit of lazy feet and you'll think about taxiing much more. It also opens up a world of much more interesting aircraft.

• Locked thread