Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Richlove
Jul 24, 2009

Paragon of primary care

"What?!?! You stuck that WHERE?!?!

:staredog:

Student pilot checking in. I have been lurking this thread for awhile and finally decided to take the plunge late last year to start flight training.
I have logged 17.5 hours so far in a 1982 C-172 and can finally run the pattern and land the aircraft somewhat down the centerline at KLNP. My training has been sporadic due to cost/living in ROA and commuting to do training at KLNP. I have the funds again and attempted to go this past weekend to get an additional 3-4 hours of flight time in when the weather didn't cooperate (went from VFR to IFR conditions within 20 minutes :argh:)

Unfortunately due to work and family commitments I am grounded for the next couple weeks. I have a yoke and rudder pedals for FS 2004 but I have heard that one can develop bad habits from flightsims (i.e. staring at the instruments instead of scanning out the window). I've got the itch to buy X-plane 10 or Prepar3d but have held off so far. Do you veteran pilots have any opinions on flightsims during training for PPL and IFR? My main concerns are communicating over the radio (have not flown at a towered airport yet) and practicing pattern work at other nearby airports in the sim to better prepare myself for future flights.

quote:

Aviation is like a $100/hour narcotic and it only takes a little taste to become hopelessly addicted.

:shepspends:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richlove
Jul 24, 2009

Paragon of primary care

Thanks for advice! I'm now listening to LiveATC feeds and downloaded the app on my phone. Should give me something different to do on my long runs now...

So to summarize: I could dig out my yoke, rudder pedals and FSX/2004 for fun, but it really will not benefit me much until I get my PPL and start trying to obtain an IFR rating. I will check out pilotedge as I don't mind subscribing to something if it will help develop my radio communication skill.

On a side note, it's a beautiful day out and my AOPA mag came in the mail. Grounded for today though. :(

Richlove
Jul 24, 2009

Paragon of primary care

I had to put my PPL lessons on hold due to work this year but I am about to jump back into getting some flight hours in soon this coming month. Like many students, I am nervous communicating with ATC. Would you recommend utilizing VATSIM or Pilotedge as a learning tool in the interim?

Grats to everyone on their new certs. I love this thread! :cheers:

Richlove
Jul 24, 2009

Paragon of primary care

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Why so nervous? What do you struggle with, exactly?

Most of it is due to the vast majority of my training at a non-towered airport. I think it is the brevity required over the radio that makes me nervous. My CFI has instilled into me that I need to communicate with brevity. However I tend to fumble words, especially when I am doing readback with more complex instructions. My CFI mostly handles the radio at this point but as I get close to doing more work around towered airports I want to ensure I at least am competent at using the radio.

Richlove fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 22, 2016

Richlove
Jul 24, 2009

Paragon of primary care

Appreciate the spirited responses. Will continue to strive towards brevity while maintaining safety. I will look into pilotedge and start listening to some KROA and KCLT communications on Liveatc. Still have alot to learn but am having fun with the process.

• Locked thread