Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Weather permitting, I should have my solo x/c this weekend! Could not be anymore exited

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I've thoroughly enjoyed my journey. Have been squirreling away funds for a better headset and retire mine to passengers but I think I'm going to continue saving and try and find a really great quality used one. I don't need $1000 bose or anything like that.

I want a nicer flight bag as well. A nice leather one would be nice. Maybe Santa Claus will put one under the tree.

And a pair of aviators.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Mile Rowe of Dirty Jobs and Dangerous Catch (I think? Some fishing show) is narrating a show called Airplane Repo. Decently entertaining with some interesting planes. There's other repo stuff (boats, Ferrari). Seems less scripted than the other repo shows

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Meant to post this last night:
What has two thumbs and successfully completed their solo x/c yesterday?

This guy.

And the wife surprised me with the Clarity Aloft "in ear" headset.

A drat good day.

Tide fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 28, 2014

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
BFM (Mobile) to PNS (Pensacola) to MVC (Monroeville) back to BFM.

A little windy! Some crosswinds in Monroeville made for a less than smooth landing but I may be overreacting. Went by faster than I expected. But it's always a little windy down here. A little nervous in PNS. Mouth a little dry and probably spoke a too fast on the radios. Lots of traffic. PNS ATC was great though. Guy was patient and encouraging.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
After thinking about it, overall things I would do differently:
Money: Saved more money than I did before I started. It wasn't the instruction that cost more than expected, it was things outside it that I had to dip into to pay for. Wife wanted x, kid needed y, I needed z. I would save 150% of what I thought I would need before I got my faa medical.

Time: Wife decided she wanted to renovate the house and get it ready for sale. Balancing flight time and instruction and study with demo of the bathrooms and kitchen and painting was tough. Add in kid stuff and the general need and want to be a good dad and husband and I was pulled in a bunch of different directions at once. The only thing that saved me is having 7 weeks of vacation/personal time, of which I burned thru 5 weeks over the course of 4 months. That much vacation isn't typical, and I couldn't have done everything I needed to do without it. Being 5 minutes from my airport helped immensely. This enabled me to take a long lunch to get in a lesson in, sometimes spur of the moment, even if only to get an hour of airtime.

Weather: the weather where I am is typically hot, humid, and wet. Spring and summer bring out of the blue rainstorms and thunderstorms. I should have waited until middle late fall and winter. It was easy to sub in sim time in the redbird fmx or mx2 when the weather turned to poo poo, but I just don't like sims (YMMV). They have their place i know but i just don't like them. Fall and winter here is extremely mild. Spring and summers are wet and stormy.

That said, the thermals and winds ultimately helped me develop a skillset to be aware and how to deal with them. Getting used to being bounced around early will no doubt pay dividends going forward.

Prep: listen to ATC chatter more. Taken an into to meteorology course or two online. Be in better shape physically. Joined the local flying club earlier.

And now the pursuit of IFR begins...

Tide fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 29, 2014

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

CBJSprague24 posted:

Congrats Tide! Sims may be your friend for extra practice when Instrument rolls around but, as you said, YMMV. I was the type learner that picked up little things from being able to pause the PCATD and visualize what I was doing right/wrong.

Thank you!

Yes sir, I expect the redbird and I to get really acquainted. I don't deny their usefulness, I just have a mental block about them. They don't smell like stale cigarette smoke and/or avgas.

quote:

On the radio stuff, listen to chatter on LiveATC or a similar source. Basically pay attention to what they tell you and repeat it back to them. I've found controllers, especially at less busy airports, are willing to help you out if you need it.

Quoting this so hard. I started doing this three quarters of the way thru and I wish I would have started it at the beginning. I would plug a headset to my tablet, sit in a chair, and listen/answer back/write what I needed on my knee board. Listen to different airports to get used to different accents. I would vary the volume levels to simulate a bad or weak signal or having to hear ATC over noise. Play the role to breed familiarity.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
That's a tough situation. I can somewhat relate in that in my youth, I rode motorcycles in amateur racing. The day a friend of mine died in an accident at track day caused me to immediately park the bike and call my dad to bring the trailer. It was a while before I rode again and I never raced again.

While GA is risky and inherently dangerous in that when things go south, bad things can happen, as cliche as it sounds the safety record speaks for itself. I've still got my spots (obtained my PPL this past weekend) and will consider myself wet behind the ears for a loooooong time. I don't plan on taking my wife and/or kid up until I have at least obtained my IFR. What appeals to me about aviation is that you never stop learning and can always improve. The day you think you have it all figured out is the day, I believe, you need to stop flying.

I would follow your instructors recommendation and see it through. Realize that the risk is always there in whatever you do. Decide if that risk is worth the reward and only you can decide that.

My view is that if we all stopped doing "a thing" because its dangerous or something bad could happen, we would never walk out the door. That said, no one would begrudge you if you said "nope, not worth it".

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

tenaciousvigilance posted:

What do you guys think about buying something like this? http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/product/9194

Anyone use it? Does it help/work well?

While out may or may not help, there is no substitute for being aware. Listening to the radio, head on a swivel. Call me a caveman, but technology can sometimes be a hindrance. Like collision avoidance on a car, such technology can give a false sense of security.

But I'm a guy that dislikes sims so take that for what it's worth.

And I think you're having an overreaction to aforementioned events

Tide fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 30, 2014

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Out of curiosity, how long after getting your PPL did anyone wait before taking someone up with you?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Probably need to rephrase it to "how many hours did you log before taking wife/kid/significant other up?"

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Just ordered a David Clark youth headset for the kid. He's itching to go up and is asking pretty much every morning since I passed my checkride. So Saturday morning I plan on taking him up for his first flight. Just a short flight, practice some touch and go's if he's enjoying himself, and call it a day. On Sunday, plan on taking the wife to New Orleans for a day trip.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Any flying clubs in your area? Might check into that.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Took the kiddo (7 year old) for his first flight on Saturday morning. Beautiful weather. He did great, and absolutely loved it. Looking over the gopro footage, the wide eyed look of wonder during taxi, run up, and take off was priceless. That moment you leave the ground definitely left an impression!

A positive side effect is that he's been grabbing my AOPA and Flying magazines and doing his best to read them. He's not one to voluntarily read on his own, so anything encourages him to pick up a book or magazine, is a good thing. He doesn't understand what he's reading or be able to pronounce everything, but at least the interest is there.

On Monday, his teacher said the only thing he talked about all day long was "My dad took me flying" to anyone that would listen :3:

The weather on Sunday ixnay'd taking the wife to New Orleans, unfortunately.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure I've created a little aviation nerd/monster/addict. Every day when I pick him up, it's the same question: Can we go flying today? It's like a whole new world has been opened up to him, and it was, that he's like "this is freaking cool". Before he went went flying with me, he could give a rats rear end about airplanes or flying. Now? It's all that matters. This morning, it was
"Dad, what's a fly in?"
"It's when a bunch of pilots fly their planes to an airfield and there's airshows with cool old birds and new ones and it's kind of a big party".
"Can we go?"

And I love it.

I've got a great shot on my camera at home of us standing next to each other giving the Maverick thumbs up sign with big ol' grins.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

xaarman posted:

The approach/tower controllers at AMA were exceedingly awesome yesterday accommodating my students plans, even when they blew through a couple altitudes. Here's a picture on radar downwind I took because the autopilot was on.

That's such an awesome picture. Yanking it for my desktop screen for a while.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The one I got is 16x12. Is there a larger one?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I would NOT recommend financing your lessons. At all. For one, even with great credit, your APR is going to be terrible. For another, it's just a bad idea - similar to financing a vacation. You don't have anything tangible of value to resell to recoup some of the losses.

Pilot Finance is not a completely terrible option as the way they work (at least as to how I understand it) is that you get approved for X amount but they only deposit into your account what is needed for your next lesson. So if you quit for whatever reason, you're only on the hook for whatever you've spent. There's more to it than that, but still a bad idea.

A slightly worse option is that if you have to, and if you have great credit, you're likely getting offers for 0% APR for 12-15 months credit cards. Then near the end of the 12-15 months, roll it to another 0% APR card (assuming you get one). Be aware, though, that they usually have stipulations that if not paid off by the end of the 12-15 months, they will retroactively charge you the interest for the 12-15 months at whatever the prime rate is.

Long story short: Don't finance your lessons. Scrimp, scratch, and save until you have enough to pay out of pocket. Finally, get your number and add at least 25 percent to it.

Tide fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 12, 2014

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

So I'm asking for a friend here not me, thank gently caress. He has a significant amount of hours training done and is well over halfway through his atpls. But he's young and dumb and got caught driving drunk, he's months away from a court date but I'd imagine he's going to get a conviction out of this.
My question is how hosed is he regarding an airline career? I'm not going to defend the drink driving but he's a good kid.

When I was younger (and more stupid than I am now), I got a DUI.

At the time, I was in school to be a physical therapist. When I went to court, I explained to the judge that a DUI would severely impact the years of schooling and could greatly affect my chances of employment after college. He had some degree of sympathy, and ordered me to pay $2,000 fine for running essentially a stop sign (I didn't come to a complete 2 second stop) and I had to do 100 hours of community service work. Granted, my BAC was .09 (legal limit is .08), I had been in no trouble previous to that, so that may have factored into his decision. There was also extenuating circumstances involved that caused my court date to be delayed for almost 2 years (I lived 300 miles away, the original judge had a stroke (small one judge town), my lawyer got throat cancer).

Get a lawyer, plead the case as best as possible and hope for the best.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

chrisgt posted:

One of the instructors at my school is selling his personal Cessna 150, and my instructor has been hired to fly it to Florida (from Maine).
His insurance covers use as a training plane, so my instructor asked if I wanted to go for the ride (HELL YES). I'll get to log the whole trip as training time, he'll get to log it all as dual instruction. We both win. I'll basically get about 20 free hours of training time in my logbook for the price of an Amtrak ticket from FL to ME and an awesome experience. I'm wicked excited. This makes my checkbook to checkride ratio a lot less stressful :)

This is awesome.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

avweb article posted:

It offered no explanation as to why the inspector might have been packing.

Well, going from one war zone to another will have that effect.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

hobbesmaster posted:

This looks like something one says before a series of terrible decisions.

It could be argued that "I think I'll be/become a pilot" was the lynch pin that started it all

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
My quest for my instrument rating has been slowed by home remodeling and packing. Not a happy camper, but today is going to be a day of touch and go's. Also booked some instructor time for stall and spin training

Tide fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 7, 2015

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

vessbot posted:

"Chemtrail initiation"
PF: Agent tank - SELECTED
PF: Main pump - ON
PF: GIS database - SELECTED/INITIALIZED
PM: Boom valve - ON
PM: Timer - HACKED

I freaking knew it!!!!

:tinfoil:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Rickety Cricket posted:

OP update, I'm loving instrument rated :toot: :toot: :toot:

If anyone cares I can do a write up tomorrow. It's still sinking in. I can't believe it

NICE.

I started working towards mine the day after I finished my PPL.

If only I had started this when I really wanted to - about 15-20 years ago. I could have gotten so much further so much faster via my uncle and using his planes (Beechcraft Baron, Citabria, and a couple others). There's no telling what other aircraft I could have had access to with his friends. Retired Air Force, flew the B25 and B26 in Korea, fighter pilot, munitions and fighter test pilot, Connie pilot, aerobatic instructor, and Lord knows what else.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I have zero idea what this kid is saying, but she's having a hell of a good time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSWDW18ygaw

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Call me crazy but I walked away from a discovery flight because the instructor "just landed a few minutes ago and knew the aircraft was fine". Maybe me being paranoid but it just didn't sit well with me for some reason.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
There really is a lack of good aviation forums.

Also, any recommended books on meteorology?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

That's...awesome!

Thank you!

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Why am I looking at Piper Cherokees.....

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
^^^good to know, thank ya sir

I love the Cherokee. Flew one the other day and adored it. Once on the ground, I just...stared at it for a good 45 minutes taking in the shape. I don't know what it is, but I love the lines. It's handsome, it's classic. Hard to explain.

Looking at the Cherokee 180 took me to the Arrow. Ooof.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Re tablet: I've used both a Nexus 7 and Air 2. The Air 2 wins out by screen size. But I wish it were a smidge smaller.

Re flight bag: Jeppsen Student Flight bag. Held up well, plenty of space. Pretty cheap, too. 35 bucks or so. I plan on upgrading to something nicer at some point.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Weather here finally breaking a bit and we're losing some of the wet blanket humidity we've had for months. It's been absolutely miserable getting any air time lately.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Is anyone at allinterested in building an aviation website/forum? Gear it towards pilots that arent doctors and dentists? I realize there are a few out there, and it's a really small population to pick from. I just think it could be done better.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

MrChips posted:

No Bonanza owners allowed.

Don't forget about Cirrus.

quote:

And no I would rather gouge my own eyes out with the claw end of a hammer than start an internet community for anything.

Where's your sense of adventure? Here's the chance to do it right with control of who stays or goes

:suicide: , probably

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Any landing you can walk away from...

e: The wife is getting the pilot bug in a bad way. Weather here is finally being a bit more cooperative, still hotter than the damned sun. But we're flying more and more, so she may start her ppl soon-ish.

Tide fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 25, 2015

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So who has gone with a digital flight bag? I'm tempted to go whole hog with the Garmin Pilot or Foreflight but can't quit pull the proverbial trigger.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

bunnyofdoom posted:

So guys is the best way to study my memory items for emergency check list to hand my checklist to a coworker and have them randomly call out emergencies at me during the work day so I can rattle them off?

Flashcards.

I made flashcards for so much stuff it's not even funny. Basically kept them with me at all times and any spare moment, i would pull them out and study.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
That's...a really good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Friend of mine that's getting his PPL had to send additional information to the FAA with regards to his medical certification (CPAP usage verification for sleep apnea). He submitted the info about a week ago. How long does it take the FAA to post it and update his medical to issue his medical certificate?

• Locked thread