Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

CBJSprague24 posted:

It was about a month before I got mine, but all my information was sent in by the doctor. My examiner said one big factor is if it's able to be handled at the regional FSDO or has to go to Oklahoma City.

Thanks, I'll relay it to him. Said he was slow in getting the info from his doctor to his AME who sent off the medical report without it. He then sent the report direct to FAA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I saw kind of an informal Q/A on the AOPA website...Link here: http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2015/September/30/AOPA-and-EAA-answer-questions-about-medical-reform

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe it's because I'm relatively new to GA, but I'm surprised that there isn't an affordable HUD for GA use. Yeah, I know that once it's tagged for aviation use, the price goes through the roof because reasons, but it's not like it's new technology, especially when you have something like synthvision to pair it up with.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Don't pay upfront. Have the funds, absolutely. Unless I misunderstood you.

Also: Whatever amount you think you need, add at least 30 percent.

Anyway, I had some of the same issues with availability the first half or so of my hours to my check ride. I joined a flying club, and for a while, my schedule didn't mesh with my cfi. So, I brought the subject up and asked if there was someone he trusted to fill in when needed. He was happy to recommend a couple of guys. It proved to be a really good thing as they were able to spot things or give different advice which gave me more exposure. So, one of the biggest things I learned was have a primary cfi but also have back ups to keep you fresh and on your toes. I liked my cfi, but felt I got just as much or more from the other guys. One is an ex marine aviator who is now working with me on my progression to IFR, multi, etc.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Quite a few of those make my balls tense up

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Am I the only person that gets annoyed hearing/reading GA pilots talking and referencing "the mission" when talking about their airplanes and needs? Example, what plane fits the "mission" of flying their kids and family to and fro. I mean, I know what the definition is and it fits, it just irks me.

Tide fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 30, 2015

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Have successfully sold the idea to the boss (wife) that buying a plane is better than renting.

It is a good day.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Not looking at anything fancy. PA28 or something like that. Warrior II. Maybe a Mooney.

KodiakRS posted:

I'm sorry to hear about your impending bankruptcy and divorce.

Haha, no doubt. She's for it, though, once I showed her the numbers. What we're spending a month on rental could easily pay for a plane that we own. She's wanting to get her PPL as well.

I'm not against getting a partner, though.

Stipulation is that we have to sell our rental house, which will provide the purchase price and 'well that's more expensive than I thought' :homebrew: inevitable repair and maintenance costs. I don't really want to sell the rental house as it provides a nice side income but I don't want to finance a plane either. Hell, I don't know if I could finance a 25-30 year old money pit. I'm pretty sure I could get a loan, but nah. If I have one thing going for me is that one of my best friends is an A&P, so that will help out a bit.

Tide fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 5, 2015

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Selling an appreciating income generating asset to buy a depreciating money sucking pit sounds like a great financial decision.

So it tossing money down the airplane rental well.

Hell, getting my PPL and then going for IFR, etc isn't the greatest financial decision. Plus it's not like the rental doesn't have its own costs in the near future (roof, probably an AC, etc).

Tide fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 5, 2015

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The rental property basically pays for airplane rental costs we incur. So, it's break even, sometimes not. I just hate the feeling that I'm throwing money away on a rental.

I would rather NOT sell the property and just wait a bit longer to buy a plane. Hell, I won't be buying one in the next 6 months to a year anyway. The house is rented and the lease won't be up until May. And they may exercise an lease option for another 6 months. I can't do anything until they are out anyway. Not a bad position to be in financially, I'll admit.

Realistically, in three...maaaaaaybe two years depending on how much I cut some frivolous expenses and get really aggressive in saving...I could have the cash to buy a plane outright based on the budget I'm looking at spending ($40-50K). Then let the house pay for the aviation expenses. Sell the house, obviously, gets me more plane and more reserve.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Colonel K posted:

Enjoy, As long as you can keep the ongoing costs, a/c ownership is very rewarding. Especially if you want to bugger off on longer trips

I'll admit that part of the desire to buy versus continuing to rent is not feeling like I need to kind of be mindful that other members of the club would want to use the plane as well. I don't want to be the dick that has the plane reserved every drat weekend; the dick part of me says 'sorry gently caress-o's gotta be quicker on the reserve'. Getting permission from the board for overnight trips sucks. Not feeling 'real' ownership of something. There's times I want to go out there and just clean the drat thing, but think "why, someone else is just going to dirty it up", not that it's ever been a problem with anyone not cleaning up after themselves. We have about 80 members, but only about 5 or 6 of us actually fly the club planes (two 1982 C172's). The rest are old codgers that still pay the monthly dues out of habit or own their own planes (while bitching that the club planes aren't getting enough airtime).

I'll admit that when someone left the master on one of the planes and killed the battery, the club maintenance officer ordered a new battery and had it installed at no cost to me, it was pretty nice.

But I'm also someone that went from dumping untold thousands of dollars into cars (Mustangs), used to fish offshore as often as possible, so, I'm used to expensive money sink hobbies.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I really don't have any issue with any of the "concessions". but even though I had to jump thru some hoops to get my 3rd class medical, I didn't and still don't have problems with the current 3rd class as it is right now.

I honestly feel like the money and time could have been better spent on other areas.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
That's a fantastic read, thanks for sharing it.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
:flashfap:

almost there....

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Go to the interview and answer any and all questions with an appropriate line from Top Gun. Never take off your aviator sunglasses. Or leather jacket. Insist they call you Mav.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

Jesus Christ, really? That must be a really poorly coded app, I've never seen or heard of anything like that happening, even as a developer.

It's not the app, it's the ipad (or even iphone). Mine has overheated several times when I left it in my car. Never had it happen in the air, though.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

:stare:

Good grief did that go from not so bad to freaking nightmare in less than a second. Well done by the pilots.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Can add me to USA, ASEL PPL

On a side note, had a bit of a layoff from Nov through Dec due to weather, holidays, etc. Basically 9 weeks without any time. Booked some instructor time for T&Gs on Sunday and boy am I glad I did. Could NOT get comfortable for some reason. Was coming in high and being too aggressive on my flare. Winds didn't help. My instructor taught me to flight fairly tight patterns, generally power off*, and it just seemed like everything was happening a bit too fast. Skill degradation is a thing, apparently. Who knew?

Going to book a few more lessons to get back in the groove.

*His reasoning was if you ever have a 'live' engine out scenario, you've basically been landing engine out from the beginning so its nothing new.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

dexter6 posted:

Quick interruption of title chat...

I'm working on getting my PPL and after about 10 hours of flying, I think the first major investment I want to make is sunglasses. (I'm actually OK with renting the headset for $5/lesson right now).

Any recommendations of what I should check out?

I use Rayban RB3445 because they are a) unpolarized and b) have thin temples. Got them off amazon for 109 bucks, but would have paid twice that, easily, if it came down to it.

My Costa Del Mars (Brine? I think? They were quite expensive) that I use for everything else are too dark, polarized, and the frames/temples are too thick for a good seal on my headset. I tend to keep up with sunglasses and take good care of them. Plus I spend enough time outside that I don't 'cheap' out on good eye protection.

As far as headset, not that you asked but figure you will eventually, but I started with a fairly cheap set of Rugged Aviation RA200's (less that 100 bucks I think), then moved to Clarity Aloft in-ear, then sold those and picked up two sets of refurbished David Clarks. Awfully hard to beat DCs.

Tide fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 15, 2016

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks AWSEFT

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Congrats!!

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
:toot:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Most aviation specific forums are poo poo. It is generally the most uptight group of backseat driving flying assholes I've ever seen.

This thread is good, therefore, I stick with it. The AOPA members group on facebook isn't terrible.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Platystemon posted:

I stumbled upon this story and thought it was a little strange—would it not be safer to go‐around and land with flaps up? I’m not even an armchair pilot, though, so I’m asking.

Plane is a Cessna 182, airfield is at 400 ft elevation with 6000′ and 3500′ runways.

The answer, as always is: It depends.

Assuming nothing else is wrong, and the guy was on final, a go around would indeed be the right call. But how he got to final without noticing the issue would be bigger question.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I learned 10 at the numbers, 20 on base once wings level, and 30 on final once wings level. These days, I've not been using the third notch on final and instead landing with 2 with a bit more speed. We have so much wind that it's easy to get ballooned or float on final with full flaps.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Ugh. Our seats on our American Airlines CLT to DEN flight are right next to the shitter. I mean, right behind us. I really want to upgrade us to the main cabin but it would split us up and sammich me right between two other people.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It was booked through a package deal (steamboat.com) for our ski trip to Steamboat Springs, Colorado. No option to choose seats. Debating as to whether or not the 200 bucks would be worth it.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Have gone almost completely paperless and I love it. I still maintain a physical log book because a log book is awesome.

E: aaaaaaaaaaaaand this arrived today. Quite like it:

Tide fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 20, 2016

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

dexter6 posted:

Yes, small, C172. Thanks

I still like my DC's.

Going through some pictures and found this one from...January. Wife turned it into a b&w:

Also, looking for an opinion on a PA 28 140. Not quite the useful load I want but may have stumbled onto one

Tide fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 25, 2016

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Rolo posted:

-DCs are great, if you want to stay froogle and not make a horrible decision for your comfort, they're the way to go.

-Good pic.

-I love 140s. I don't own one but I spent years maintaining them and like them a lot.

How much of a dog is that 150HP? I'm not looking to set records here, but some performance would nice. I'm 190, wife is 145, kid is 65 but growing. Not looking at it as a forever plane, mostly to build time in and be somewhat useable for family excursions (fully realizing quite a few fuel stops along the way with 36gal capacity).

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

EvilJoven posted:

gently caress it YOLO taking a Cherokee up for a spin at 7.

Nice.

I'm looking at a 180 this weekend. Unbelievably stoked

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
What do your CFI's charge per hour and how do you charge? Do you charge Hobbs time? Or for the CFI instructions here what do you charge?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

MrYenko posted:

This is all extremely good advice. Finding a flying club that accepts students is also not a terrible idea. My club is $35/hr dry for a 172N, and instructors range from $20-40/hr. Renting dry is a little more complicated than wet, but you can actually save a bit of cash on your longer flights doing it that way.

Good Lord

My club is 112 per hour wet (172P) and most instructors around here charge 40-50 per hour. Monthly dues 20 bucks with a 250 one time initiation fee

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

e.pilot posted:

God I wish more clubs rented dry and tach time. There'd actually be a reason to dial back the power and not set it to rental speed everywhere.

I don't know. I wonder sometimes if some accidents that were attributed to fuel starvation due to someone running the tanks dry BECAUSE they had to pay for fuel (rather than a flat hourly rate). Plus fuel at our FBO is ~6.25 a gallon. We talked about going a dry rate but most of the pilots (old guys) felt like the general consensus was that people would be more likely to leave the tanks empty for 'fear' of someone else burning the 'unused' fuel they paid for.

As an aside, last meeting, our board was bitching about the planes not getting any hours - yet every single one of the old farts own at least one plane. The president owns two.

Tide fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 10, 2016

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
In my relatively low 200 hrs, and during my flight training, smooth take offs (and to a large degree, landings) were and are made easier by proper sightline. Once you establish that airspeed is alive and gauges in the green once you're on the roll, transition your eyes waaaay down the runway. Neutral pressure on the elevators and full aileron into wind until positive control pressures are felt, and rudder as necessary. The nose will come up on its own, then set your climb attitude for Vy. You'll get this in time and it just takes repetition.

Funny thing about landings. Most greasers are accidental but a good/great landing depends entirely on a good pattern and a stabilized approach. Get sloppy in any phase and you'll be behind the 8 ball and overreacting to everything. And like takeoffs, repetition repetition repetition. Hopefully, your instructor is working on slow flight early and often.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
My first solo I honked the yoke back so hard on take off the stall horn squealed a little bit. I was high in the pattern the whole first circuit as well.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

dexter6 posted:

Feeling pretty lovely today. I know I'm not that far into my PPL, but just logged my 7th hour and can't land for poo poo. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Don't feel shiity.

It's the hardest part of your flight training and the part you've spent the least amount of training on. It's tough, but know this.... Gone are the days the instructor steps out after a few hours and says "time to solo".

Going to repeat myself but 90% percent of greaser landings are by accident. And the absolute key to a good landing is a good approach/pattern. Break it down to three phases and if any one of those phases aren't right and don't feel good; go around. There's no harm in a go around but don't develop landitis

Develop your downwind, develop your base, develop your final. It will come together. Ask your instructor for slow flight instruction. My instructor keyed on slow flight from the beginning and it paid huge dividends at the end.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

e.pilot posted:

Anyone need a handheld radio? I'm selling my Sporty's SP-400 for $250 with some accessories. (12v plug, extra battery pack, headset adapter, case)

If you haven't sold it by June 10th, which is when my fun money gets deposited into my account, I'll take it.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Drive Fly it 'till the wheels wings fall off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

EvilJoven posted:

My flight instructor said a very scary 4 letter word to me after today's lesson.

"Solo"

Apparently I'm ahead of the curve and once we cover go arounds and in circuit engine failures in our next lesson or two I should get my PSTAR out of the way (groundshool is almost over as well) and bring in a copy of my medical.

Guess it's time to bring an extra shirt with me when I go flying.

Nice!

• Locked thread