Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

MrYenko posted:

Yes, you're moving faster as an absolute

Wrong. There is no such thing as absolute velocity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
The Capitol is a mile or so east actually; wasn't he on the White House south lawn? He could have landed in the reflecting pool.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Obama's skeet gun

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

xaarman posted:

Do any of you have the NTSB link to where the aircraft crashed due to, ahem, extra curricular activities not related to flying?

Is this the one you're looking for?

http://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief.aspx?ev_id=20001212X18632

quote:

THE PRIVATE PILOT AND A PILOT RATED PASSENGER WERE GOING TO PRACTICE SIMULATED INSTRUMENT FLIGHT. WITNESSES OBSERVED THE AIRPLANE'S RIGHT WING FAIL IN A DIVE AND CRASH. EXAMINATION OF THE WRECKAGE AND BODIES REVEALED THAT BOTH OCCUPANTS WERE PARTIALLY CLOTHED AND THE FRONT RIGHT SEAT WAS IN THE FULL AFT RECLINING POSITION. NEITHER BODY SHOWED EVIDENCE OF SEATBELTS OR SHOULDER HARNESSES BEING WORN. EXAMINATION OF THE INDIVIDUALS' CLOTHING REVEALED NO EVIDENCE OF RIPPING OR DISTRESS TO THE ZIPPERS AND BELTS.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:

THE PILOT IN COMMAND'S IMPROPER INFLIGHT DECISION TO DIVERT HER ATTENTION TO OTHER ACTIVITIES NOT RELATED TO THE CONDUCT OF THE FLIGHT. CONTRIBUTING TO THE ACCIDENT WAS THE EXCEEDING OF THE DESIGN LIMITS OF THE AIRPLANE LEADING TO A WING FAILURE.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

azflyboy posted:

Airline politics are fun!

About two years ago, our management insisted that the pilot group had to sign an 8 year contract (with no substantial pay raises) in return for Shiny Jets and not parking 30% of our fleet.

Almost immediately after that agreement was signed, every other regional started raising first year pay and offering bonuses, which meant that our first year pay was $20-30k less than any other regional, and no one wanted to work here.

Since we couldn't get new pilots, management did an end-run around the CBA and union, and began offering a $10k "pre employment bonus" late last year. Since there's no conditions attached to the money, several people have waited for the check to clear and then bailed for other regionals, and we still have almost no new pilots.

Now, management is threatening to defer the 33 Shiny Jet orders our contract guaranteed (or give them to a non-union airline) if the union doesn't allow management to unilaterally change first year pay and bonuses whenever they feel like it, which just further antagonized an already pissed off pilot group.

Hilariously, the before management officially announced the threats, our CEO gave a speech at a university about business ethics and "Doing the right thing".

In every company I've ever worked for, the company can change pay and things as needed and on an individual basis without having to negotiate with the whole body of employees. This isn't an issue with management; it's an issue with the fact that every employee is covered under the same contract. One key reason I'd never become a pilot: the silliness inherent in working for a unionized company. The fact that they can't give a normal $10k employment bonus to new pilots because there's a collective bargaining agreement in the way is hilariously weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

overdesigned posted:

You're why a right seater on a regional earns $35K a year.

If they were cutting pay then, like, yeah I'd get the outrage but the fact that the CBA prevents them from handing out more money is kind of amazing!

• Locked thread