Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The miserable Instrument checkride I posted in the last thread was three years ago today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Flights into MDW and ORD are grounded becase somebody set the Aurora, IL Chicago Center location ablaze.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2770806/Fire-control-site-stops-OHare-Midway-flights.html

Nobody in this thread works there, do they? :ohdear:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The comments in a Facebook post I read today mentioned that pilots from one regional are allegedly deliberately stepping on the clearance calls from pilots of another regional they're currently pissed at for understandable reasons.

If ATC catches on to something like that, is there any course of action they can take to tell pilots "cut that poo poo out"?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Tide posted:

Mile Rowe of Dirty Jobs and Dangerous Catch (I think? Some fishing show) is narrating a show called Airplane Repo. Decently entertaining with some interesting planes. There's other repo stuff (boats, Ferrari). Seems less scripted than the other repo shows

Deadliest Catch. And it's disappointing in comparison to the original Airplane Repo, which was a legit documentary following a repo operation out of Gary, IN (e- one episode involved the logistics of them ferrying two A320s from the Azores to GYY), but it's a decent watch for the aviation footage.

Just don't listen to the storyline. The pilot episode, which involved a Citation repo in Orlando, led the repo men to "Philadelphia", where the Citation does a touch-and-go to the dismay of the repo guys. Philadelphia was actually DAB. The backstretch grandstands of the Speedway are clearly visible as they work their way to the runway.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 28, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Congrats Tide! Sims may be your friend for extra practice when Instrument rolls around but, as you said, YMMV. I was the type learner that picked up little things from being able to pause the PCATD and visualize what I was doing right/wrong.

KodiakRS posted:

If Envoy is that first airline I haven't heard anyone saying anything about it. We're all pissed off at a couple of other regional airlines and I've heard plenty of talk about denying their pilots jump seats, and there's even a "black list" consisting of both their current seniority lists floating around, but I haven't heard anyone claim to be blocking their clearances. On a related note, although most of us are righteously pissed off we're not looking for revenge. Most of the talk you hear about jump seats, blacklists, and scabs comes from a handful of guys who like to bloviate and be internet bad asses.

Yeah, Envoy was the first. Sort of got it secondhand and I'm not sure how the guy could tell it was an Envoy crew doing it, but it sounded a little more extreme than jumpseat denying.

e-

Arcella posted:

Neat! I'm scheduled to do the same thing this Friday. Pretty excited, and a little nervous about flight plan/radio stuff.

On the radio stuff, listen to chatter on LiveATC or a similar source. Basically pay attention to what they tell you and repeat it back to them. I've found controllers, especially at less busy airports, are willing to help you out if you need it.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 29, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

tenaciousvigilance posted:

I'm just shaken by all this. My flight instructor called me and is encouraging me to continue w/my training and see it through. He says when he was about to go for his CFI check ride his friend got in a deadly accident and he was in a situation where he wasn't sure he wanted to continue, but was happy that he did because of the 35+ years of flying he's done since then and the adventures that he's had.

It's only been two days so I plan to give it a little more time before I make any decisions on whether to continue or not, but just wondering if he anyone's been in similar situations. What would you do if you were a student in my situation? I love flying, but recognize general aviation is a bit risky and have now experienced it first hand.

As others have said, unfortunately, "this is a part of it" applies. Since I started flying, I've been at the scene of two crashes, but fortunately I didn't see either happen. The first was Jim LeRoy's crash at the Dayton Air Show; I was working our school's booth as a volunteer and had my back turned when things got quiet. The second was non-fatal, at a fly-in at the grass strip owned by one of our instructors; I was blissfully tearing rear end on an off-road "go-kart" on a course they'd plowed down in a hayfield, saw the Cherokee rotate (with a high nose-up), and was stopped the next lap around by the pilot's son, who needed a vehicle to get to the end of the runway. It took a second for me to process the phrase "My dad just crashed", especially since there was no smoke or fire, but I let him have it and tried to help him start it as fast as I could, wobbly-legged walking the distance back from the hayfield to their hangar. On top of that, a Bonanza crashed at the end of the runway at the school's airport, which crossed my mind a couple times in the pattern.

At the end of the day, it's your call. You're doing it as a hobby, so there's no rush to decide- just remember the "S" and "E" in the IMSAFE checklist. If you do continue, go out of your way to do what's needed to keep yourself comfortable with your environment and safe. I verify checklists even if I have them memorized (with 3-4 items). In terms of ATC, I pick up flight following any time I do a cross-country.

e- Saw your main concern involves mid-airs. Talk on the radio & always be on your toes in the pattern for dumb jagoffs who don't know how to properly operate a pattern and/or work the CTAF.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 30, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Arcella posted:

Completed my first cross-country solo, Midland, TX (MAF) to Carlsbad (CNM) and back! Was really easy, especially since I flew the same route with my instructor a month or so ago. Starting to feel like an actual pilot, rather than some joker in the left seat.

Familiarity with a route never hurts, though it's different by yourself. I did DAY-OSU-Urbana, OH-DAY on my dual day, substituted CMH on the night dual, and did DAY-OSU-Delaware, OH-DAY on the Solo.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The "level off if you get below the glide slope because it will come down to you" trick is one of my favorites in aviation. It's so ingenious and effective. It's like the glide slope knows you descended a tad too much and is saying "I've got you, buddy. Just pitch up, I'll be right there." :hfive:

MrYenko posted:

The best way to ensure your child is happy, but financially insolvent until they're forty is to introduce them to aviation.

On the way back from doing some work on the family's vacation house a couple months ago, my mom and I talked to a Chautauqua ERJ captain at CLT commuting to CMH. When talking flying careers, he told her "If either of my kids say they want to be an airline pilot, I'm going to bean them over the head.".

I'd already picked up Private, Instrument, and realized it wasn't worth continuing two years before that point (though I intend on doing something with my ERAU MAS), but I think it opened her eyes as to how bad things really can be nowadays in aviation. And from the sound of things, he's not half as screwed as the guys and girls at Envoy.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Richlove posted:

Student pilot checking in. I have been lurking this thread for awhile and finally decided to take the plunge late last year to start flight training.
I have logged 17.5 hours so far in a 1982 C-172 and can finally run the pattern and land the aircraft somewhat down the centerline at KLNP. My training has been sporadic due to cost/living in ROA and commuting to do training at KLNP. I have the funds again and attempted to go this past weekend to get an additional 3-4 hours of flight time in when the weather didn't cooperate (went from VFR to IFR conditions within 20 minutes :argh:)

Unfortunately due to work and family commitments I am grounded for the next couple weeks. I have a yoke and rudder pedals for FS 2004 but I have heard that one can develop bad habits from flightsims (i.e. staring at the instruments instead of scanning out the window). I've got the itch to buy X-plane 10 or Prepar3d but have held off so far. Do you veteran pilots have any opinions on flightsims during training for PPL and IFR? My main concerns are communicating over the radio (have not flown at a towered airport yet) and practicing pattern work at other nearby airports in the sim to better prepare myself for future flights.

:shepspends:

Like you, I was told to not use FS2004 to supplement training in Private. YMMV, but the sim will be your friend in Instrument if you pursue that rating. It's unrealistic, but nice to be working on a PCATD and be able to pause the scenario with/without your instructor to go "Ok, what am I doing here". Having the map display the Elite PCATD offers is nice because it can aid your confidence in "Yeah, I know what I'm doing and the map shows I'm doing it RIGHT.".

e- The one thing I found about FS2004 once I started flying actual airplanes is that, as a friend put it, "Flight Sim ain't got poo poo on the real deal.". It could be used to help with Instrument (and one instructor I know uses FS2004 to supplement aerial and PCATD work), but it may not feel the same as before you started training.

As for radio work, LiveATC.net is a good option. If you wanted something to "interact" with, you could theoretically use FS2004. When you get a radio call, pause the game and anticipate what you'd say back. Then grade yourself based upon the pre-recorded response given when you hit whichever button corresponds to your reply to ATC.

I've only had one instance myself where it went from VFR to IFR quickly. I was turning laps in the pattern trying to build time knowing that an area of snow was on the way, but I could probably get .7-.8 in before it got to the area. On the first lap, I could see it far off in the distance. On lap two, it was closer. On lap three, Downtown Dayton (about 10 miles away) was disappearing. I put it on the ground just as landmarks about 5 miles away started to disappear. If I'd have had to go around for some reason, I probably had enough time go get back around, but by the time I got on the ground and was headed home from the airport (15 minutes or so), it was 3/4 mile and overcast at like 800. And that, kids, is why you don't get much flying done in Ohio in the Winter.

I don't miss the days of trying to eke out every tenth I could on flights.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 25, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I'm still convinced there will eventually be a shortage unless the incentive is there to become an airline pilot. Fewer people are willing to sink six figures into flight training only to be told thanks to Chuck Schumer you have to build another 1200-1300TT to reach the magic number just to get paid $18,000/year. And, of course, all the labor/management bullshit that's going on when you DO get there.

As I've said before, there's no reason 1,500 should be the hard floor, and the educational credits provided to shut Riddle/UND/Purdue/any other 141 program up are garbage. "Go to this school and get your Instrument AND Commercial there. Oh, you already HAD Instrument? And it was done 61? Sorry, but that won't do.".

e- Among the industry stakeholders interviewed: Families of Continental Flight 3407.

Uhh...OK, I'm glad that group of industry experts who were probably among those who heard "Stall" and immediately thought it had something to do with the engines had their objective input solicited.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 28, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

two_beer_bishes posted:

I agree about the shortage, and I wonder if it'll get bad enough for airlines to start cadet programs.

I did some research for my Master's on cadet programs. Air Canada's model seems to make the most sense for a template (ignoring the myriad of things which could stop it from happening in the US).

Take in resumes to filter out the most attractive candidates. Send candidates to Florida for training. If you don't screw up, you get hired with Air Georgian on the Beech 1900. Stay there for four years and don't screw up and you're off to mainline Air Canada.

The question would be who would/could be the regional partner for each major. American seems like it'd be PSA/Piedmont (it's weird to not say US Airways there) since they're in-house, as would Delta/Endeavor. United?

The drawback, as Butt Reactor said, would be that Jim Bob's Flight School is going to be completely up a creek, and you wonder if even bigger schools would have problems attracting people.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 29, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The trick I was told was that across all the test banks, some questions repeat. You'll see a handful of familiar ones from the Private study book (I used the Gleim) in the one for Instrument.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

fordan posted:

Sporty's is starting theirs mid-November. http://www.sportys.com/atp

edit: Looks like 4 approved; ERAU in FL & AZ, ABX Air in OH (assuming that's Sporty's), Aerosim Training Solutions in Orlando and CAE SimuFlight in Dallas.

ABX is in Wilmington. It'd have to be Sporty's.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Do Dispatcher applicants have to take the new ATP written or is it just pilots?

e- Apparently the test is still 80 questions, but are they drawn from the same test bank (i.e., the Gleim tricks are useless)?

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Nov 5, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Rumblings on Airliners.net have Air Wisconsin starting Delta Connection flying in the near future. Are they magically going to add CR7s or CR9s? DL was trying to dump CR2s the last I'd heard.

I also wonder how this might affect ExpressJet/Chautauqua/Endeavor/Skywest and how they tie into DCI flying. Do any of the four have a contract vote coming up?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Captain Apollo posted:

Gross, a tail dragger.

Piper Cubs own hard. :colbert:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

KodiakRS posted:

Which brings us to PSA and Piedmont. Both were presented with concessionary contracts and both voted yes. In exchange for some shiny new airplanes and a weak flow though agreement PSA and Piedmont have effectively negated any leverage the regional airline pilots held. We waited 20+ years for this kind of an advantage and PSA sold us all out. Cheaply. To say that there is a lack of respect for PSA pilots amongst other regional pilots would be a colossal understatement. In the past few months I have heard PSA pilots called sellouts, SCABs and much much worse. I have personally seen a black list containing the names and hire date of every pilot currently at PSA. I have heard rumors that American and U.S. Airways Captain review boards have copies of that list and are under instructions to not hire any one on it.*

So PSA and Piedmont pilots approved contracts which include flowthroughs which AA and US may not adhere to in the end because the review boards are pissed off at the pilots?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

How screwed might somebody with PSA or Piedmont be who meets the minimums to fly mainline, sees the supposed writing on the wall ("You're not getting in here") at AA, and wants to move to Delta/United/Southwest/Frontier/Spirit/jetBlue, etc.? Do other mainline carriers look at Blue Streakers as the scourge of the Earth or is it a "That doesn't affect us" attitude?

To that end, I seem to remember reading the PSA vote passed at 78%. What if somebody voted No? Could they say "Hey, I didn't vote for that and I can prove it.", or is it "gently caress you all"?

e- Private Pilot gets caught in IFR in a 172, controller talks him down: http://www.khou.com/story/news/local/2014/11/20/air-traffic-controller-saves-pilots-life/19310537/

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 24, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

My rule of thumb was if there was any somewhat decent possibility of getting caught in IFR while doing time-building solo cross-countries, I didn't go.

Then I got Instrument and got to shoot a GPS on Local IFR on my first XC after my checkride. It was technically VFR, but a December morning where it was hazy as poo poo and visibility going Westbound was maybe 4 miles, so I did it for fun and practicality.

And ExpressJet just picked up a contract to fly for American Eagle out of DFW.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

TFR in effect over Ferguson, MO for flight at 3100 and below.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

eternalname posted:

What are the best things to study in school to find a good career in aviation? I notice there are aviation science, aviation management, aerospace science, and air traffic control degrees offered at various schools.

I would like to learn to fly but I find all aspects of the industry very interesting and am open minded.

If you wanted a Bachelor's degree, look into schools with a transfer module with a four-year school. You can get an Associate's in something aviation-related a community college, taking similar courses for less, and transfer it into the four-year leaving around half the classes.

Most of the courses I took at Riddle (WW) were business-related because all of the Aviation was covered in the program I transferred from.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The Slaughter posted:

Nah, get into aviation for the fame and the fortune!
There was a post on reddit that was interesting, saying basically if you get into airline flying because you love flying, you'll be unhappy in 5 years, but if you get into it because you like travel and will use the flight bennys, those people are the happiest.

I laughed out loud at my coworker the other day because he said he spent $250,000 going to Embry Riddle and doing the multi track, but that he felt he received "superior training" and had flown with a lot of unimpressive ATP people. Well maybe I'm unimpressive but I can probably get some remedial training since I'm not out 250k. Another spent $200,000, also went to riddle, and financed it I guess because he's 200k in debt. That must be absolutely soul crushing.

Now, now. The Honorable Gentleman from the State of New York and his friends in Congress feel that his training is, in fact, superior, and he'd be given a 500 hour hiring credit* for his choice of school if he were going through nowadays. :eng101:

e- (*- But only if he did his Instrument AND Commercial with Riddle. If not, then it's not as good.)

More seriously, I called ERAU once when I was considering changing flight schools for Commercial (the check airman I did my Instrument ride with was a noted dickbag) and was somehow given the number of the head of Riddle's flight department. When I explained my situation (just finished Instrument, interested in a flying career, ERAU-Worldwide student), he told me "unless you want the ERAU name, save your money and train somewhere else".

I later met him at CLT while waiting for a flight to DAB; he approached me because I had a Riddle t-shirt on. I didn't let on that he was the guy who told me "don't come to my flight program" a few months before.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 2, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

xaarman posted:

He sounds like a legit good guy and someone you could take a lot of solid career advice from.

I was surprised at and appreciated his honesty. I figured when I called him he'd be "Oh yeah, come on down, we'll set you up in a glass 172 for $900/hr wet" like many other recruiters I'd dealt with, but he didn't.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

xaarman posted:

I did a campus tour with my grandfather about 19 years ago and it looked pretty cool. However, something I did not consider back then:

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/embry-riddle-1479

:barf:

Riddle Vision.

...though I was on campus for Worldwide graduation in May and was surprised at the quality of the female eye candy on campus. Quality > Quantity?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Yeah, what happened between Delta and Air Wisconsin? I was shopping sample itineraries last night for a conference my mom will be going to in the Spring and saw Air Wisconsin listed as the operating carrier on one of the segments, but now it's not happening?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

They already got all those 717s in service. In fact don't they nearly have every MD-90 and 717 in the world currently in service?

They'll have to go back further for their new old short haul planes now. Maybe they still have their DC-9-50s laying around.

They still have 717s to come. The entire 717 family at AirTran will switch teams at ATL and (eventually) be one big happy at Delta, because they took them all (and I guess WN had to spend some money to modify them to DL standards as part of the deal).

They're up to 65 MD-90s (started at either 15 or 16), taking a couple extra for parts. Looks like there are only 7 still active which don't belong to Delta.

http://www.planespotters.net/Production_List/McDonnell-Douglas/MD-90/index.php?sort=status

AWSEFT posted:

However, there is still major stagnation (and shrinkage) and the consensus is that it isn't all about the pay. The pilot's want career progression and while FOs can now interview at Delta, with a 50-60% historical success rate, is $30k extra for 2 years worth the lost seniority somewhere else? Remember, we are talking about 8 year regional FOs (who are currently one of the worse paid in the industry), some of who have been downgraded, being asked to stick around another 2 years and be 10 year FOs (Comair anyone?). November they lost 47 FOs (71 total) with a majority going to PSA. I doubt you'll see those kind of numbers long term but people are still leaving for PSA in December despite the retention program. If that doesn't prove it isn't about the money I don't know what can (First year PSA FO $24/h vs Four plus year Endeavor FO $37h).

Better not tell ALPA that.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Anybody else in here that also posts on Airliners.net's forums? They used to be a decent place to talk the business of aviation and keep up with current events, but it's gotten to where every thread there rapidly devolves into a pissing match.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

AWSEFT posted:

Nope. I avoid it for that reason.

A discussion over the last bits of Delta's MEM hub being pulled down devolved into an argument as to why Nashville is a better tourist destination than Memphis.

Great stuff.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Chuck Schumer wants to investigate why airfares are still high when oil prices are dropping.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/schumer-calls-probe-high-price-plane-tickets-article-1.2045481

Chuck Schumer also championed the ATP Law and, from what I've heard, is a piece of poo poo on his best day.

e.pilot posted:

And they did, scheduled for Wednesday!

Excitedly nervous.

Go get it! :hfive:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

fordan posted:

It's almost like the airlines might purchase fuel futures contracts to protect themselves from short-term changes in the price of crude.

If the Republicans had to take the Senate, why couldn't he have been one of the ones swept out? I don't think I've ever seen his name pop up in the center of a news story where I hadn't thought "what the gently caress is he going on about?"

He seems like the epitome of that person who claims to be an expert on something, but really has no idea. The perfect example of this is the ATP Law, which he was adamant got through so he could impress those whose ambulances he'd chased. Apparently, he celebrated ROC-ATL going from three M88s to 3 M90s as some sort of triumph, too.

Despite FL pulling off the route altogether.

He wasn't up for re-election this year. Hopefully in a couple years he'll be involuntarily put out to pasture.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 16, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Congrats on getting your Instrument ticket on the anniversary of the first flight, e.pilot.

Bob A Feet posted:

I have 0.5 hours of flight time in the last sixty days :cry:/and we stop flying for the calendar year tomorrow.

How does one get 0.5 hours of flight time? Hover power assurance check
:v: I turned on the auto pilot and sat there for half an hour :(

I got 0.4 one day when I went out to play in the pattern in a 172 and got an electrical system annunciator on downwind on the first lap. A breaker popped sometime between when I ran my fingers across them manually in the run-up process (they were all in) and when I got the warning light. When I popped it back in on the ground, it went from a big-time discharge to a big-time overcharge. Day over. Maintenance's response was along the lines of "God damnit, we just fixed that thing...".

hobbesmaster posted:

Really. 11 seats was something to celebrate?

11 seats times three! 33 whole extra seats a day! It probably sounded like "Well, the MD-90 sounds fancier than an MD-88, so this is a major event and we'd like to thank our friends at Delta for this massive increase in service to The People of New York."

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The Slaughter posted:

Congrats e.pilot, and Apollo good luck you goon. Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down. :fyadride:

I need 2-3 more pages of my 20ish page final Erby Diddle Astronomical Universidad capstone paper on how 9/11 changed aviation. And I'm loving out of ideas. So that's what I've been doing all drat week.
Good news is once I poop something out of my brain I'm done with my bachelors and should graduate with 3.99 GPA if I do OK on this final paper.

Oh God, I forgot there was an undergrad Capstone now. Glad I got through before they debuted that crap (though I had to do one anyway in the end thanks to the MAS).

Do you guys have to draft and turn in a proposal or do they leave that part out? What about "you have to write on a topic pertaining to each course you took" and "do basic statistical analysis that shows you didn't just play on Facebook during your EagleVision Stats class"?

Animal posted:

How much will it end up costing? I need to do a degree but I dont know if I should shortcut to the useless aeronautical one or get one in which I get actual skills that can land me side-gigs (something IT related maybe)

What's your educational history? If you've got a community college nearby with an aviation program, you might be able to get an Associate's and transfer the whole thing into Riddle, leaving you approximately half the classes you'd have needed to have taken there.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 18, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The Slaughter posted:

And yeah, the undergrad capstone blows. We had to draft and turn in a 10 page proposal before starting on any loving thing, and then it had to get approved by the aeronautics dept, and yeah the whole process has made me not enjoy capstone courses! And yes, every program outcome must be demonstrated although I think I'll get away with just some basic figures analysis I did instead of some kind of regression, I barely put anything about stats in my proposal and it was accepted, so yeah.

Jesus Christ. The nice thing (if this applies to the undergrad Capstone) is that you don't really have to prove anything. Just take a topic, research it, maybe make a bit of an argument that ties into a recommendation at the end, and don't sound like too much of an idiot when you're done. Same with the stats: just show you can use stats to back up a point you're trying to make or disprove.

The thing I noticed at the Master's level (thanks to it being pointed out by my instructor*, who had a bone to pick with it) is that those who are approved to teach the required lead-in classes (665 (Stats) and 670 (Research Methods)) aren't approved to teach the Capstone and vice versa. Thus, some of the instructors who teach 670 have no idea what they're talking about, and a few students showed up to the Capstone course (691) with a proposal that wasn't enough to get them started right out of the gate with the project. (*I don't know if I should name-drop here, but if you're doing your degree at least partly through EagleVision and have taken classes with a former Air Force Chief Master Sergeant with a thick Boston accent who says "ain't" a lot and makes classes easier and more fun than the school probably wants them to be, you know who did my Capstone.)

My 670 instructor was thorough and I had a workable proposal when I got to 691 at first, only to have to make adjustments on the second look because some bits of it strayed a bit off course. I ended up having to take the extension, which worked out because it was between Fall and Winter terms, so I was able to start the Capstone the day after Christmas, allowing me a little extra running room to work.

The Capstone bullshit (which changed at the Master's level at about the time they added the Bachelor's Capstone) according to one instructor was because ERAU wants students "to feel a sense of accomplishment" when they complete their degrees. The instructor argued that it was just that: bullshit, because "Isn't getting a degree after a minimum of four years' work enough to take pride in?".

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Giving this its own post because it'll be long, but here was the outline of my Capstone. The nice thing about this was that we were operating in the world of academia, which meant you could pick topics that might be fairly obvious and say what you thought and nobody could take points off because "Well, you're wrong because ____": (e- Also, "I don't know" is an acceptable answer in the world of academia. :eng101:)

I wound up with an A, so I must have done alright.

Topic: Pilot Training

PO 1- Air Transportation
-Global and Multimodal (American pilots going abroad to fly)
-Technological (Does automation degrade manual flying skills?)
-Social (The ATP Law and its effects on future pilot prospects?)
-Environmental (Simulators in primary training: do they reduce pollution? (I had trouble coming up with a topic for this & this is what we settled on)).
-Political (Might The ATP Law be a pile of poo poo? Why?)

PO 2- Statistical Analysis
-Central tendency of pilot experience in hours as it relates to accident rates.

PO 3- Human Factors. This was one my instructor thought was dumb because you have:
-Unsafe Acts and Attitudes (When did pilots do dumb things which resulted in accidents and how could they be prevented?)
...which result from:
-Errors and Behavior (Evaluate a few NTSB reports where Human Error was a primary cause and talk about them.)
...which may be attributed to:
-Human Limitations (Is quantity really better than quality?)
...and why couldn't they be just one big topic?

PO 4- Problem Solving (The original idea I had for this didn't seem to work based upon what ERAU would want, so I had to change it.)
-Issuance rate of ATPs. How was it trending (with the caveat that it'd have to go up in the future thanks to the ATP Law)?

PO 6 (PO 5 wasn't part of my program)- Aviation/Aerospace Education Technology
-Curriculum Development (How can you continue to make aviation programs appealing?)
-Adult Teaching and Learning (61, 141, 142. Compare and contrast.)
-Memory and Cognition (Are current checkride procedures adequate?)
-Simulation Systems (Is there evidence that PCATDs help in training? This was basically a re-write of a previous paper, which the instructor was fine with since "It's your work.")

PO 7- Aviation/Aerospace Management
-International Policy (What are hiring requirements for major airlines around the world and how do they compare to 1,500 as a floor?)
-R&D (Are simulators becoming too advanced? Would that result in a negative training transfer?)
-Airline Ops- (If there's a pilot shortage, what impacts could there be on regional flying as it applies to air service?)
-Logistics (Sims and airline training? Might it be better for regional airlines to buy their own sims as opposed to sending pilots to a centralized location like FlightSafety?)

PO 8- Av/Aerospace Ops
-Air Carrier Ops (What might some effects be of the hypothetical shortage in the PO 7 Airline Ops section?)
-ATC (Let's talk NEXTGEN and pilot training to operate in that environment!)
-Aircraft Development (Cost/benefit analysis of glass cockpit-equipped GA training planes)
-Airport Safety and Certification (Wrong runway usage, with Lexington being the poster child. How to prevent?)

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 20, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The Slaughter posted:

We were explicitly not allowed to use previous work/papers. Which is bs cause I had a nice one tearing the TSA a new rear end in a top hat that I wasn't allowed to use.

My instructor said that, ideally, the term papers written for all your previous courses could be on one overarching topic and come together in the capstone, and they could be tailored to suit the eventual project. Unfortunately, they don't tell you that idea going in...

I know where you're coming from being pissed you weren't able to use something you wanted to. Appropriate given posts from a few days ago in here, I took a couple swipes at Schumer in the Political section for being an ambulance chaser, just using more "polite" language in the finished product.

e- I loved my instructor's attitude toward the whole process. When he read through the syllabus on the first night, he laughed out loud at the notion that we were supposed to have the entire Capstone done in 7 weeks. He also said "Once this is approved by the Aeronautics Department, the only person you have to worry about is me because I'm the only one who grades it. Once I issue the grade, that's the end of it, so if they have a problem with the grade, they can yell at me all they want. I don't know what they'd do, though. Maybe they'd fire me. Which might not be all bad...I guess I could sit at home, drinkin' beah and watchin' football."

It might read as him being a massive dick, but if you'd had him for even one class before, you knew it was mostly sarcasm, he was just having a good time, and god drat, he ruled.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 20, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

KodiakRS posted:

Envoy TA has passed. :toot:

Congratulations are in order (I hope)? What are the terms of this one? Did I hear E175s?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

AirAsia A320 missing in Indonesia.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

ethanol posted:

I'd like to go to a part 141 school, I'm currently seeking the funding to do such a thing. There don't seem to be many schools that will work with federal student loans. I've found three flight schools so far that provided FAFSA school codes. I've got to keep in mind I already went to college and got an unrelated bachelor's degree, and I've paid all but $17k of those federal loans down, but I'm also considering a 2 year degree from a state or community college if it makes getting federal funding easier.

Recommendations for how to proceed would be excellent. To start, filled out a fafsa and went through ATP Flight School's financing application to see what they could offer, just to get an idea, and I believe they don't accept federal funding. They're asking me now if I can find cosigner for some sort of student loan plan.

Part of the problem with doing this part 61 besides it taking too long and being more expensive is that the closest flight school is a 1.5 hour drive. the part 141 'pilot mills' tend to have student housing that I would be interested in.

I should add I only have a few hours of 'discovery' flight experience and obviously, no license, but I'm enthusiastic about the prospect of making this into a career.

If you're still considering the civilian route, keep in mind that your education will make a difference in how much time you have to build before you can be hired by a regional thanks to an ugly tramp called The 1,500 Hour Rule. Instrument and Commercial BOTH must be done at an approved 141 school combined with an aviation degree from the school providing training for the following credits:

-Any degree and/or Instrument OR Commercial not done at an approved Part 141 school- 1,500
-Associate's in Aviation, Instrument AND Commercial completed at an approved 141- 1,250
-Bachelor's in Aviation, Instrument AND Commercial completed at an approved 141- 1,000

An Associate's from a community college may not hurt if you can swing it, because it'll give you a break on the time to be built and a bit of a background into aviation.

As for pilot mills, do some research if it's a satellite location of a larger school. Mine was a well-oiled machine which then went to poo poo in its last year before the company said "We're out.", inviting students to uproot to Florida to finish their training.

Captain Apollo posted:

Embry-Riddle is for fakers who don't actually do any schoolwork besides airplane. I argue that those individuals aren't well rounded enough to survive outside scrutiny of degrees for anybody that actually "cares" as an employer.

I wasn't on campus at DB or Prescott, but I've got 10+ page term papers and consternation over stats assignments which beg to differ.

e- That said, my hardest class was at my Community College. Aerodynamics. Gimme dat C!

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 6, 2015

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

ethanol posted:

That's great info, thanks. Brings a question to mind... how many flight hours per year can I expect to gain as a cfi?

Glad I can help. I've been there, albeit I stopped flying after Instrument. Community Colleges sometimes have 141 schools and can save you money, so don't write them off if you decide to go the civilian way. My old school is about to open a second flight training location (albeit in the same awkwardly-configured metro area).

I'd imagine it depends on where you live. You're not getting much flying done between November and March if you're in Ohio like me, for example. More often than not, it's some combination of IFR, Windy, Rainy, Snowy, Cloudy, Icy.

One other thing to think about : if you're in a Swing State in 2016, you ain't doin' jack on quite a few days when candidates are in town. I had a couple flying days ruined by TFRs because Obama/Biden/Romney/Ryan were in Columbus/Dayton. I even think a TFR for the Cincinnati area screwed me one day.

e- Another thing to consider if you're really wanting a Bachelor's is a Community College with a transfer module to a four-year. My CC had an agreement with ERAU Worldwide to transfer most everything in. When I got to ERAU, I had most of my Aviation classes done, really only having to take a couple years' worth of business/marketing courses (though there were some like Accident Investigation and Human Factors which the CC didn't offer).

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

AWSEFT posted:

I can't believe they take 73x into EYW. Runway 9/27 - 4801 x 100 ft. / 1463 x 30 m

I took off as a passenger on a Delta 757 on Reagan's Runway 33 (5204 ft) once because of strong winds making Runway 1 unusable.

I was fully aware of what a freak of nature the 757 is, but even then :stonk:.

• Locked thread