Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

hobbesmaster posted:

MD-80s can give quite a ride too. Was that a static take off?

I think it was. It was a bit of a rollercoaster ride because they turned immediately right, then back left to join the Potomac.

e- The quality's not great because I had to get the camera rolling, the camera itself, and the turbulence, but here's how it looked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTW602DuLfA

I've experienced a static takeoff on an MD-88, too, actually. It was at DAB on 16 in July 2-3 years ago when 7L/25R was closed for heavy repairs. Certainly got the good out of the available takeoff distance.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The wonder twins of Sully and Schumer joined the families of Colgan 3407 to try and keep the 1,500 hour rule untouched today.

Has there been enough push back from the industry to get to where this is necessary, or is this political marketing?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Desi posted:

So with the American regional industry getting hard up for ATPs, anybody think they'd do the leg work to take on a Canadian with an ATPL? I'm still a while away from that (chasing the 500-hr mark as an instructor) and the opportunities up here are either limited or in some god forsaken place north of 60. Its a joke for a Canadian to get a full on standalone FAA equivalent license, but the hurdle has always been the Right to Work in the US requirement - an airline would basically have to be willing to put in a bit of legwork for a work visa, which wouldn't be too hard to prove a need for by the looks of it.

The first place I'd look would be how your license might mesh with the terms of The ATP Law, because God knows there's some stupid, stupid stuff in that reg (i.e., Instrument AND Commercial must be completed Part 141 at an approved college for time credits, with no grandfathering).

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

PSA is getting 24 more CR9s. Apparently, this will delay at least part of the CR7 transfer from Envoy.

hobbesmaster posted:

That makes sense, the delay is even long enough to use the same crew if they timed out.

I liked the passenger complains in the skyclub.
"What you don't have a spare plane?!"
"I've flown between Taipei and Japan 30 times and this has never happened before!"

Agent: "Its delayed until 7am"
Passenger: "you mean the flight is cancelled"

People are dumbasses when it comes to travel. I got a book about 10 years ago called Air Sick Humor which is sort of a best of of travel morons at their worst.

I'm amazed at the number of "experts" who haven't figured out that the airlines aren't in control of the weather.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 10, 2015

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Any ATC goons contribute to fixes like these?

http://ifitsfreegivemethree.com/2015/02/entertaining-statements-from-air-traffic-arrival-fix-names/

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

One of the fixes on the ILS runway 24 into Springfield, Ohio is JENAT. Nobody knows how to pronounce it. Is it Jen-ay? Jen-et? Jen-at?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

AWSEFT posted:

At the regionals?

During primary training?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

DL MD-88 off the runway at LGA. Plane wound up on a berm appearing to separate the airport from allowing Miracle II. No fire, sounds like minor injuries.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

hjp766 posted:

A good landing is one that everyone walks away from. An excellent landing won't need the engineers :worship:

A great landing is one in which you can use the plane again.

Which brings up the question of where that DL M88 fits on that scale, because I'd imagine that thing's repairable if the Mad Dog which blew the engine and fired shrapnel into the cabin at PNS in the 1990s is still flying.

What would N909DL need? A new nosecone, nose gear assembly & a wingtip, along with whatever minor, hard to see on TV damage happened?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

azflyboy posted:

(Allegiant only uses the MD-80 because they're stupidly cheap used)

You're not kidding. I've heard a used MD-80 can go for as little as $2M, bordering on "Buy two, get one free!"-level. No wonder Allegiant has added piles of them, even though they've gone the Airbus route more recently.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

azflyboy posted:

From a business standpoint, it makes sense for Allegiant to buy airplanes no one else wants, since you can buy a lot of jet fuel for the $40-something million price difference between a used MD-80 and a new 737.

Their fleet is fascinating because it's entirely secondhand. Playing around on Planespotters, the MD-80 history yields lots of Nordic regs (going to assume SAS since they had a ton of MDs, not looking through them all), JetsGo, Midwest Express, Alaska, Aeromexico (with N-numbers) and Spirit regs. It really is the new life club for a bunch of MD-80s which would otherwise probably be in Victorville. They've only dumped a handful of MD-87s, which were from the original Midway, interestingly enough. It's Delta's "Buy Every MD-90 In Existence" strategy on a bigger scale.

Their A320s are all ex-Iberia, the 757s are from the UK (Thomson), and they've picked up a handful of double overwing exit-equipped A319s, too.

Is American still doing their maintenance? I seem to remember an Allegiant Mad Dog visible in the CNBC special on American where they went behind the scenes with the airline a few years ago.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

azflyboy posted:

The Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge and Airplane Flying Handbook (which cover most of what you'll need to know as a private pilot, aside from some regulations) are perfectly acceptable as PDF's, and if you can find a well organized electronic FAR/AIM, that should work just fine, as long as it's up to date.

I'd advise against getting the Jeppesen private pilot textbook (or really any of their other textbooks), since they're expensive and contain basically the same information as the FAA publications, but with more fluff and pretty pictures added.

At my pilot mill, we had to carry the Jeppesen Private book with us when we flew for some god drat reason. That brick in a flight bag which also carried the company ops (I never did need to know in-flight that my wings need to be 3/4 of an inch above the fold on the shirt pocket) and procedures manuals in addition to relevant things like headsets, kneeboards, checklists, and a FAR/AIM. If I have shoulder problems someday, I'm blaming them and my high school.

e- I think we even had to carry the god drat Gleim with us.

We also had to wear ties year-round until the school realized that a) it's hot during the Summer, b) ties were miserable to wear in the Summer, and c) everybody loosened the ties once they got in the air anyway.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 10, 2015

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

MrYenko posted:

The 1500hr rule is crony politics of the worst kind.

May or may not have anything to do with the original event that precipitated legislative action? that's a mostly no, so check.

Does very little or nothing to address the issue? Check.

Carved out a huge competitive advantage for certain people/businesses? Check!

Profit/Get reelected!

Chuck Schumer's (phone posting and first accidentally typed "Scumer", which would seem fitting if it were a word) ambulance-chasing and fervent fighting to get the Law done was pretty obvious and disgusting. "This happened in MY state? Hot drat, I'll look like a hero and get another term in spite of having no idea what I'm talking about and being unwilling to compromise at all!".

Then, bring a heroic pitchman like Sully (who was pissed off about pay, and rightfully so) into the fold to talk about what a flawless solution to the problem it is, and nobody who doesn't know any better, people such as the person described here:

PT6A posted:

Still, some (non-industry) people might say, "well, a more experienced pilot would've known to avoid a stall!" when it's basically the first emergency pilots are taught how to handle.

...is going to question it.

e- If you want an interesting social experiment, check out Captain Sully's Facebook page any time he posts something about the ATP Law. You're going to have three groups of responses:
1) People who are clueless as to what's going on: "BAH GAWD THANK YOU SULLY I DON'T KNOW NOTHIN' 'BOUT AEROPLANES BUT THANK YOU FOR PROTECTIN' ARE (sic) KIDS!"
2) People who make assumptions and are apt to say things like "The gas pedal makes the plane go faster" and "Stalls involve the engines, right?"
3) People who know what they're talking about and post responses ranging from civil counterargument to passive-aggressively calling he and Schumer frauds.

You can't assume everyone's an aviation expert because there's a crapton to learn, but it's amazing the number of people who are simply willing to say "I don't know what the hell I'm talking about and I'm not willing to take 3 minutes to get a basic explanation of a stall on Google so I think this is a good thing."

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 24, 2015

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

There was a remarkable amount of stupid going on in the cockpit of 3407, but some of the blame definitely goes to Colgan for cutting corners.

There's so much wrong with the ATP Law that it's not even funny. I was in Atlanta waiting for a flight last week and talked to a pilot who's MD-80/DC-9/737-typed who thinks it's pants-on-head stupid, which surprised me.

You start out mandating 1,500 hours. Why? "I don't know...some legislative aide I told to do research on this who's clueless said it's because it's how many you need for the ATP.". Various companies are consulted and some suggest 750-1000 as being the experience floor. Schumer goes to Congress and says (this isn't hyperbole) "I said FIFTEEN-HUNDRED!". So the Law goes through, but the big schools complain and get a "here, take this and shut up" concession, which reduces experience requirements in exchange for an aviation degree AND...wait for it...the completion of Instrument AND Commercial at their FAA-approved school from which you earned the degree.

But there's no grandfathering, no help for those who had already taken the time, effort, and money to get those ratings at other places. Also, even if you HAVE the required degree, it all comes down to where you flew. I have a Bachelor's from Riddle which doesn't mean jack because I did Instrument Part 61 (with the world's most miserable examiner) at a local FBO on the recommendation of the local flight school's director in spite of 141 being in place.

It feels like a law which uses safety as smoke and mirrors to get pay increased. That's something which needs to happen, but...it hasn't worked.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 24, 2015

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

DNova posted:

Germanwings Co-Pilot Deliberately Crashed Airbus Jet, French Prosecutor Says

Who could have seen that coming!?

http://news.yahoo.com/official-1-pilot-locked-crash-plane-cockpit-072049706.html?clear-cache

Who's ready for Congress to start the outrage train again? Also, 630 TT under his belt, too. Something, something "inexperienced", something "making hasty assumptions", something something "sweeping changes in spite of everything pointing to everyone knowing him being stunned he'd do this and which will inevitably miss the point completely"...

Apparently one of the news networks last night said the forward lav wall can be kicked in as a last-ditch measure to get into the cockpit. Not sure how that works (and granted it's a news network), but I fear somebody's going to try it now.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

fordan posted:

Didn't happen in the US and with only two US citizens killed it means outrage will be muted. Plus there is no law they could have enacted to change the behavior of a Spain to Germany flight. I do wonder if this will impact the 3rd class medical reform AOPA/EAA is trying for, at least the legislative option.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some genius Congressman try to add intense psychiatric evaluations to flight physicals in an attempt to say "Look! I'm trying to do a good thing!". As you said, the 3rd class reform just got a hell of a lot more interesting to watch.

Speaking of Congress and questionable legislation, a Congressman from Ohio wants to put a cap on GI Bill benefits which would make flight training impossible using that money:

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/UPDATE-on-H-R--476-and-Attack-on-Veterans-Benefits---Aviation.html?soid=1120468416929&aid=i8AUrixOB4U

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 27, 2015

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The Duke of Avon posted:

Not related to recent events, but I do have a question...

I'm interested in knowing more about the day-to-day operations of remote Canadian airports (especially in Nunavut and the Northwest Territories), small airlines in those regions, infrastructure supporting them, etc. Pretty much anything about who's flying to these places and how it all works. Where is a good place to look? Has anyone written books on their experiences or anything?

Phone-posting, but there's a show called Ice Pilots NWT which is a behind-the-scenes look at operations for Buffalo Airways, which almost exclusively flies vintage planes deep into Northern Canada. The show has a bit of the reality crap associated with most shows of this sort today, but seemed to be a sincere documentary for the most part. It aired on The Weather Channel in the US, but hasn't been on in a while.

If you want something which seems less like a TV show, Just Planes has several cockpit ride-along DVDs featuring these types of carriers. Buffalo was one of them. Canadian North (gravel strip 737 ops :getin:) was another, and they've just released a second DVD following them. I think they're also currently producing a First Air DVD to be released later this year.

e- On the laptop now. Here are previews of the JustPlanes series. The Canadian North 737/F28 is the best I've seen in the series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MzmLa4jUjc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiZ65I41Blc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_8_Dq_c2qw

IcePilotsNWT YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/IcePilotsNWT

JustPlanes' World Air Routes: http://www.worldairroutes.com/

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 31, 2015

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Unicom posted:

These JustPlanes movies own. There was an Air Canada Toronto-Tokyo one that was really interesting. Also, they go into such gory detail that they're guaranteed to piss of significant others while you watch them too!

I don't buy them as much as I used to, but the one you're describing and the other Canadian North are two I would consider buying. The Polar 747 round the world is another good one, as are the Alaska and all the Royal videos.

They discuss navigating via true headings and the use of an astrolabe in the first Canadian North DVD due to operating in the higher latitudes. :science:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Les Abend and Miles O'Brien were just talking about how "low cost carriers are dangerous because they hire low time pilots" and seemed to lump American LCCs in there with their European counterparts. It reminded me why I shouldn't watch mainstream media talk about aviation, even with "experts".

I...don't think Allegiant, Spirit, or Southwest are hiring at what they deem low time, regardless of 1500 being in place, but thanks for playing.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Dalrain posted:

Man, that 1500 hour rule just feels like a wall you'll never be able to climb. I got my PPL, but it felt like every hour of flight time I earned just took so much sacrifice. I'm not sure I even hit 100 due to financial restrictions, 1000 seems nearly impossible.

I'm more and more convinced every day that we're going to join the rest of the world with indentured servants cadet programs.

Congrats to all of you who soldier on.

This was the point of the story leading into their segment, which I missed the first couple minutes of: the seeming ridiculousness of pumping six figures into training and a degree to make $22-24k starting at a regional, which seems a liberal estimate based on what I've seen at AirlinePilotCentral in the past.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

hjp766 posted:

Given the flying program split summer winter it is not that bad. I do shorthaul in the summer from UK and longhaul winter from Germany.

If I can ask, how does this work? Two different carriers?

Stupid Post Maker posted:

Is anyone in the Cincinnatti area able to give a high performance endorsement? I'll be upgrading to the Aztec and while I've been checked out in it the chief pilot at my company doesn't have an MEI so I wasn't able to get it then

If you're willing to drive to the south end of Dayton, there's an FAA examiner at ASI at Dayton-Wright Brothers. They use an Aztec for their multi training, I think.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

overdesigned posted:

Today's edition of Good Idea Theatre:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWXndyhO3YM

(he flew it 80 miles [!!!] back to his home airport and is rumored to have removed the props himself before any investigators arrived)

And then we find this Trade-A-Plane listing that popped up shortly thereafter:

:psyduck:

What is this I don't even...I laughed like an idiot and am actually slightly disappointed I saw the spoiler of the outcome. The sound of the props dragging on the runway is fitting of the massive brain fart behind this. It wouldn't have been funny had he crashed, but :wtc:?

Did he intend to land and forget to extend the gear or was this a "Hey, watch this!" which Did Not Work? And then the cameraman's "You're gonna git yer first wreck!".

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 24, 2015

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Two Kings posted:

The question is why? What air carrier requires a single engine ATP? If you like to collect ratings though more power to you.

Somebody operating a Pilatus requiring an ATP, maybe? I know there are a few EAS carriers using PC-12s as their weapon of choice.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I got a Facebook group invite today to support a Bill to "Change FAA Hiring". Figuring it had to do with 1500, I took a look, only to learn that (and I later read bits and pieces in the ATC thread) the FAA threw out CTI-trained applications and launched the "Take a Questionnaire to see if You Can Be A Controller!" survey? :wtc:

What political genius with an aim of Improving Safety In Our Skies Through Doing The Strangest Thing Possible figured THAT was a good idea? It sounds like they want to be more diverse, but just giving the finger to people who put in all that effort? :psyduck:

Pilots: You need specialized training from approved FAA programs to even THINK of sitting in a regional jet after Colgan!
ATC: You needed specialized training from approved FAA programs, but we changed our minds. Sorry!

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 2, 2015

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Is there an average count as to how many hours pilots exit the military with? I'd imagine it varies by branch, number of years, etc.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Currently working on adding an acronym to AWSEFT's excellent OP/goon pilot list which isn't currently there: AGI.

I don't know if it's because I took some education classes at Riddle, but the FOI written has been surprisingly easy to study for so far. Hoping to knock that written out ASAP.

Next up will be the AGI study guide (which is apparently CFI, minus the Sport Pilot stuff in the Gleim), which I'm expecting to be somewhat familiar. I've tackled a couple of the sections with the fewest questions because I can't sleep right now and...some of those weight and balance graphics....:wtc:. I obviously get the more basic weight and balance calculations but have never seen the lectures about "If this weight is on one side of the board, then do all this math to find out how far the ones on the other side should be slid over to make them balance on the fulcrum" before. They look like they'll be fun to try when I'm not half-asleep.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Delta has done several of the Easter egg safety videos. I read they were going to update them frequently to keep people involved. One of them was a Pop Up Video parody.

azflyboy posted:

The FAA only specifies what items have to be covered in the briefings (125.327 if you're really bored), but doesn't specify how the briefings are conducted as long as those items are covered. Airlines are required to publish a procedure for doing the briefings in their flight attendant manuals (which are signed off on by the FAA), but my guess is that procedure often isn't a lot more specific than "these items must be mentioned in the briefing".

Independence Air (remember them?) had at least four different recorded safety demos for their CRJs, which could be heard on their website when they were in operation. One was a political-themed demo with James Carville and Mary Matalin presenting information for their respective sides of the plane, corresponding to their political affiliation ("I'll be talking safety info for those of you on the Left side of the plane"). Mia Hamm did another one. I forget what who did the other two.

Song had a new audio demonstration every month. The one I heard in March 2005 was Irish themed. I think I recorded it and can find a way to upload it if someone really wants to hear it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I like Gleim, personally.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Congrats Rickety!

Rickety Cricket posted:

Yeah I can't wait to just file IFR everywhere. Just cause I can

Even if you don't want to file and end up needing/wanting an IFR if you're staying in close, a phrase I didn't know about until flying with my last CFII which will be your friend: Local IFR.

Did a VFR cross-country MGY-CMH and back one day not long after my checkride for time building in December on what ended up being a really hazy day. Flying East was fine, but Westbound was worse than I expected (still VFR, but on the low end). Called approach when I got on Dayton's frequency (dba Columbus Approach), asked for Local IFR and the GPS 20 into MGY. Life was much better.

Plus, the first approach you do by yourself is a bit of a cheap thrill, especially if you know you're in conditions which will allow you to get visual a few miles out.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The UK series Worst Place to be a Pilot (which can be seen on YouTube) has been repackaged in the US under the title Air Pressure and it's on Discovery Channel. It follows Susi Air, an airline operating in Papua New Guinea using Caravans and Pilatus Porters into mostly remote areas on several islands, and is staffed by ex-pat British and Kiwi pilots looking for a place to build time to get hired at home.

And by "remote", I mean "barely passable grass strip that's muddy because it rained, with standing water at the bottom, at a 20 degree up/down angle and, in case that wasn't enough, potentially angry, violent villagers who may randomly run in front of the plane awaiting every arrival".

One guy caught Malaria. gently caress that poo poo.

e- Jesus Christ that same guy aimed for a cloud knowing the runway was on the other side and flew through the cloud to land it. :stonk: :wtc: :psyduck:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 28, 2015

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

ausgezeichnet posted:

Hell, I got malaria a couple of years ago on a pt 91 trip to Africa. A couple of dudes I flew with at ATA got malaria three times in 18 months flying at Arik Air in Nigeria.

Natives with spears attacking the aircraft? Now that gets my attention.

The show depicts these guys living in the lap of luxury and Southeast Asian F/A girlfriends and they sure as hell earn it.

Interesting you mention Arik. I've got a friend who flew the -900 for them not too long ago and had stories to tell, none of which involved serious illness.

My grandpa was in the Canal Zone at the outbreak of WWII and caught the strain which never goes away. My mom growing up remembers him going through three sets of pajamas in one night because of the profuse sweating.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

"Pilot Reports are always appreciated...

...on HIWAS or Flight Watch, have a good flight."

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Rolo posted:

The flight school I work for part time sponsored a week long camp that I decided to help with because sometimes teaching kids about airplanes is fun (if they're interested.)

Most horrible experience of my career was flying with a 10 and 13 year old that didn't give two shits about anything I had to say, even when safety was an issue and I needed them to listen. These kids were absolute bastards and I'll quit before I set foot in an airplane with either of them again. I had to park 20 yards out and pull the plane up to the hangar because one of them wouldn't stop kicking the brakes on loving purpose the whole taxi back at a loving class c airport. What the hell god dammit argh gently caress.

I considered throwing my hat into the ring for a similar thing in my area, though I'm not CFI so I wouldn't be doing the rides. Things like this made me apprehensive.

The summer after Freshman year in college, the Boy Scout troop my dad ran needed to do an aviation merit badge, so I created and helped give two aviation days for his troop and another. It started with a short lecture (e- complete with me wearing my Pilot Mill uniform), followed by three stations; kids rotated between a 172 walkaround done by myself, a 15 minute ride in a 172 with a CFI, and some hands-on time with a yoke and pedals and FS2004 monitored by my dad, who had a basic understanding of how to fly and a fascination with instrument flying. (The second group's event was done at a church, so we substituted something for the 172 ride.) I was so excited that I did the drat thing with a cold and wore my voice out to the point I couldn't talk the next day.

The first group was great. The second was like herding cats.

e- Mentioning my pilot mill uniform reminds me- My first lesson in Private was ten years ago tomorrow. On top of that (and totally unplanned), I went on a EAA Young Eagles ride on June 10th ten years before THAT. :toot:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 10, 2015

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Spirit talk reminds me of Skybus. They operated on a similar model, only were more anal in that they wouldn't let you bring your own food on board "unless you had enough for everyone to share" (which could easily be worked around on most of their flights by stopping at your favorite fast food joint on the way to the airport). They also refused to use jetways unless they were forced to (FLL). I don't know if they let people jumpseat or deadhead on their flights, but most of their F/As were extremely young as well- I ended up meeting one on a dating site & we "re-met" and became friends when she was a cheerleader-type promo girl for the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Much like Spirit, they nickel and dimed and drew criticism from people because they charged five whole American dollars for checked bags. Doesn't sound so bad nowadays...

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

New drone and cargo crew rest bills were introduced yesterday in the Senate.

I once bought an electronic E6B. The thing worked for a year before crapping out. Your mileage may vary.

PT6A posted:

Weight makes a huge, huge difference for performance for every aircraft, and every pilot should figure that out through observation no later than their first solo.

I remember asking this before my first solo in a 152. I also asked if a 172 handled differently with a backseat passenger when my mom went along on one of my instrument lessons.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Multiple sources say the DOJ is formally accusing at least United and Delta of price collusion. American is declining comment on if they've been accused. Southwest has said they'll comply with any investigation.

...this being the same DOJ which approved the mergers because purging major carriers from eight to four was a fantastic idea which would result in rainbows and unicorns for the traveling public while not reducing competition at all. :downsbravo:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/01/politics/doj-subpoenas-airlines-unlawful-coordination/index.html

overdesigned posted:

I finished the first block of formation flying work yesterday and got to solo again. Life is pretty good.

That is awesome.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

My instrument sim lab was sacrificed one night when we were volunteered to show CAP kids how to flight plan. They seemed harmless enough until formations began.

Hauldren Collider posted:

My trick is to only be 5'5" tall.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Sadly that's my trick too. Doesn't work

Somebody else who has to move the seat alllllll the way up on the rails? :hfive:

And if it's a 172, might require a booster? :( :respek: :(

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Hauldren Collider posted:

:( :respek: :(

Well not quite a booster, but I do tend to take the flotation pad and stick it behind my back. I can actually reach all of the controls without it, it's just a bit more comfortable.

I have no idea how women deal with it. I've seen a bunch of posters and pamphlets to the effect of "Yes, women can fly too!" Might want to start helping that by making seats they'll fit in...

Actually, my "booster" is the flotation pad which hangs in the flight school room and serves a dual purpose. Gets me to where I need to be just fine. My former CFII, though, is shorter than I am (she's 5'1") and requires a formal booster cushion to deliver her excellent brand of instruction.

On a related note, gently caress Diamond. Your products are fun to fly, but you do not make products friendly for the vertically challenged. I've flown two different DA-40s and the adjustable pedals in the first one (leather-seat version) made no difference when I basically had to sit on the forward end of the perma-reclined seat to fly. I had to have a custom cushion made.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

RAH is going to be cutting flying commitments through the first half of 2016: http://www.skywriteraviation.aero/2015/07/27/the-us-pilot-shortages-first-victim-republic-airways/

Sounds like Republic was expecting Delta to give up the ERJ flying next year, only to have DL extend them through 2021.

Seph posted:

Here's a video posted on airliners.net of a 777 landing in AMS during a storm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02ddnGzxNZs

EHAM 251255Z 30037G55KT 4000 RA FEW010 BKN012 OVC020 13/13 Q1001 RERA WS R27 TEMPO 7000

:stare:

I paused it and it looks like they were using 36R (based upon a blurry runway sign visible at the very end of the video).

So, let's see, a 60 degree crosswind at 55 knots if memory serves gives a crosswind component of gently caress That poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Just pointing this out for anyone else who may be interested before we get back to NOTAMania, JustPlanes is having a clearance sale on many of their cockpit DVDs/BluRays this month and next. I picked up a Gemini DC-10 and Air Canada A319/A321 cockpit video for $5 and $10 respectively.

The sale through the end of this month is on all non-Boeing types, though they reduced the price on a couple Boeing DVDs for some reason. Deep discounts on Boeing videos start August 1st.

These can be a fun way to kill a couple hours and they have pretty much every type you can think of with a cockpit ride along. If you're interested in recommendations, I have a few of them I've purchased over the years.

• Locked thread