Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
Brendanwor, have you gone and joined LionAir?

About time for a new thread title! Huzzah. Slowly working through IFR ground, getting ready for the written

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Question for those more knowledgeable than myself:

The new instructor I've been flying with for the IR has not been logging any PIC time for me on our last couple flights (he won't let me fill the logbook out as it's his signature going on the entry). The last few flights were on IFR flight plans but a combined .5 IMC in over 5 flight hours. His explanation was something along the lines of, since I'm not instrument rated, especially when we're flying IMC, I can't log the time because I'm not required for the operation, ie because he's instrument rated he could do this same flight without me in the plane. This sounds like bullshit. IFR or VFR, IMC or VMC, I am rated for the category and class (ASEL) and sole manipulator of the controls, and think I should be logging PIC for the whole drat flight.

Whose right here?

Also going back through past entries, I'm noticing some funky stuff I hadn't noticed before that I will definitely have to bring up with him. For example we did one flight that was 1.6 TT, 0.5 IMC, 0.8 Sim. Instr, 2 approaches, 1 landing (night), 1.6 dual received, 1.6 night, 0.5 PIC. How in the gently caress did he come up with 0.5 PIC?

e: I'm thinking I wasn't under the hood for 0.5 of that flight, and he's saying I can log PIC time when I'm not under the hood, but not when I'm under the hood because I'm not instrument rated. Which I know is horse poo poo.

Rickety Cricket fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 24, 2014

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

azflyboy posted:

You can absolutely log PIC for instrument training, including time spent in IMC and/or on IFR flight plans. Also, it's kinda weird that your CFI won't let you log your own time.

I agree on all points. My primary instructor had me fill out the logbook.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

CBJSprague24 posted:

Just don't listen to the storyline. The pilot episode, which involved a Citation repo in Orlando, led the repo men to "Philadelphia", where the Citation does a touch-and-go to the dismay of the repo guys. Philadelphia was actually DAB. The backstretch grandstands of the Speedway are clearly visible as they work their way to the runway.

Watching this show makes me want to hit my head on my desk.

I remember one episode they were chasing some bizjet which departed from.... Orlando? Somewhere in Florida. They checked the tail number on a super secret plane tracking website *cough* flightaware *cough*, and determined that the plane was VFR since there was no tracking for it. I swear to god then they said "Since it's VFR it can't go more than 50 miles" :psyboom:

Then they pull out a low IFR chart to start looking for airports in the 50nm range. :downsbravo:

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

A couple decent shows available on YouTube are "Worst Place to be a Pilot" about young British expats in Indonesia timebuilding for the majors, and "Bush Pilots" about young British expats in Botswana timebuilding for the majors.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Arcella posted:

Completed my first cross-country solo,

Congrats! Awesome feeling actually going somewhere on your own. I definitely remember my first xc more than my first solo. I guess it didn't hurt that I ran into a celebrity

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

That first rendition looks like it weighs about a million pounds

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

As an instrument student I HATE sitting on the ground on days like this

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Surely new 121 hires have taken the new ATP? I might be completely off the mark, but I was under the impression that people would get hired with ATP min's, and the written would be rolled up into ground school?

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Stupid Post Maker posted:

Nope, all the new hires already had their writtens complete. If you didn't then you haven't gotten hired by an airline yet. The oral and check ride are the same though

So what's the new ATP then? Can you do it at a CATS center or do you have to pay lots of money to ATP/Riddle?

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Animal posted:

If anyone can check the Cleveland tapes for the tower, it happened last night about 10-15 minutes before I made the first post about it.

Here's the feed for that time period http://archive-server.liveatc.net/kcle/KCLE-Twr-Nov-06-2014-0100Z.mp3

5121 checks in on tower at 1:59
The runway crossing is at 6:54

It sounded like he was unncessarily mumble racing through a lot of the clearances.

Were you flying with a South African?

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Thought I read somewhere that the prop didn't actually make it into the cabin, just kinda caused the interior of the cabin to shatter, thus maybe the bumps? Hit by bits of flying sidewall? Can't remember where I read it. Not necessarily a credible source.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I feel like clicking around telling planes where to go is no where near as fun as coordinating over voice. Just me.

Also there was another Frederick, MD related incident over the weekend. A student and instructor were doing a night cross country and crashed into some mountains on Saturday night. I was flying from Martinsburg WV to Baltimore on Saturday evening, flew over the FDK vor probably less than an hour after they departed. They were probably down on the ground going over the flight plan at the time. poo poo's real :(

The student survived but the instructor didn't make it.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I got the Zulu 2s a couple months ago. They are super comfortable but I have no experience with them in supercold temps

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I was diagnosed with ADD as a kid and had to jump through hoops to get my special issuance medical. It is possible but it is a loving pain in the rear end. When I went for my 2nd medical I got a regular Second Class with the special issuance removed. No hoops.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Butt Reactor posted:

One down, two to go :woop: conditional offer with ZW with a January 19th class, just gotta get enough time to meet mins.

Outstanding! Having grown up near DCA I would love to start my career with ZW

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

At times flying around the bravo has it's irritants.

Woke up today with 99.9 PIC time. A buddy and I had planned to go up today and hit a bunch of airports on the Explore Maryland by Air program. We took off and the transponder failed before we got out of the pattern so we had to go back and land.

In other news I now have 100.0 PIC and my first landing in a 172 from the right seat, wasn't too bad either. :v:

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Butt Reactor posted:

Update on my aeronautical goonery buffoonery:

Official class date is the 26th with SKW for the CRJ...of course ZW is also expecting me to show up for class on the 19th, so I'm writing the thanks-but-no-thanks letter in another window.

Congrats again! If you don't mind, what made you choose SKW over ZW?

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Question I went to get cleared up as I get closer to finishing IFR (one of many questions I'm sure I'll bring here).

Take the KGED VOR 4 approach : http://skyvector.com/files/tpp/1501/pdf/00935V4.PDF

I'm putting along from the NW, flying SE bound, and arrive at LAURY IAF. I fly direct to the waypoint, and turn right to track 233 outbound for a minute before making a >180 turn to track 053 inbound to the fix - aka a parallel entry. I arrive, again, at LAURY, now: do I depart LAURY heading 053 on the approach, having done my course reversal OR do I then turn left to track 233 and fly the entire racetrack before proceeding?

My instructor said once I do the course reversal and I'm on 053 inbound to the fix, even without having done the full racetrack yet, I can just proceed inbound. Just want to confirm this is correct?

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Finally took my IFR written. Studied my rear end off and got a loving 100% :toot: :toot: :toot: Yes I know you only need a 70 but I feel loving fantastic considering how tough people say the IFR written test is. Now I just need to polish up the flying. Hopefully I can be done with IFR by the end of February.

Continuing my series of questions, I'm curious about the VOR 31 approach at KLNS: http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1501/00927V31.PDF

If you're approaching from the southeast and don't have radar vectors, I'd fly direct to the VOR. So how do I get turned around to fly that 139 outbound course? I've seen this type of thing occur on a ton of different plates and I'm never sure how exactly I'm supposed to get turned around. Whether it's plate by plate, or if there's a hard and fast rule about it. If you come from the West side it's easy, you just fly direct to the VOR and fly outbound. I hate course reversals

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

vessbot posted:

Simply put, you turn the shortest way from wherever you are to the outbound course and then intercept it outbound.

The airspace protection is designed in accordance with the fact that your turning flight path will take a bulbous route away from the thick black comforting line until you intercept it.

Congrats on the 100!

So in this case am I doing something like this?

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Same idea in Addis Ababa which is at an elevation of nearly 8000'. I think when we rotated I looked out the window and saw the 1000' markers on the departure end of the runway going by :stare:

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Captain Apollo posted:

I took off in a Comanche 250 out of Angel Fire one day when it was below freezing. KAXX

Took off 17.

We rotated at the piano keys.

Of runway 35.

We did everything right. All the calculations. Below freezing day, not even full fuel and just two of us.

The thing that hurt us the most was the wind was a direct crosswind coming off the mountain and essentially useless.

The poo poo we read about in the books actually has real world application! :circlefap: :circlefap: :circlefap:

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Are there pre-requisites to taking the CFII written? Someone suggested with all the info still fresh in my mind I should get that one out of the way. Took a practice exam and scored a 94% so I'm thinking maybe he's right - that's assuming I can take it. I've been flipping through Part 61 but don't see anything about prereqs for a written exam.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

CBJSprague24 posted:

The first place I'd look would be how your license might mesh with the terms of The ATP Law, because God knows there's some stupid, stupid stuff in that reg (i.e., Instrument AND Commercial must be completed Part 141 at an approved college for time credits, with no grandfathering).

That only applies if he's trying to get the r-ATP at 1000/1250 hours. If he's shooting for 1500 hours it's no issue.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

In the event you're stuck 4 weeks or 2 months in between ground and sim, is the company at least still paying you?

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

The Slaughter posted:

Compass interview is in just over a week. making GBS threads myself. Why did I set up my #1 choice as my first interview? I should have gone and interviewed with PSA or republic or something first as practice :/

You're gonna kill it bro

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

CS seems to be the general consensus among people wanting to do work on the side/have some sort of back up

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Can someone please walk me through the procedure for flying this http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1503/05222VDTZ15.PDF in a G1000

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

azflyboy posted:

It's been a while since I flew a G1000, but I'd think the easiest way to fly the approach would be to just using the bearing pointer (slaved to the VOR) to fly the arc. You'd still want to load/activate the approach with SLOAF as the IAF for the extra situational awareness on the MFD, but you'd have to use the VOR as the primary navaid beyond the FAF.

For whatever reason this approach isn't in the G1000. All our other approaches into MTN are there, but you can't select VOR/DME 15. Am I right in tuning Nav1 & 2 to BAL vor, then using the tail of NAV 2 to watch for my step down cross radials. Then what do I do with Nav 1? I'm completely blanking on how to fly the 'arc' part

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Thanks for the feedback guys. Took a safety pilot up today to do a few approaches and try the arc, but it was really loving bumpy so we just called it quits after 2 LPV approaches (Which I NAILED). Almost checkride ready, just gotta work on this drat arc, hopefully Wednesday is better

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I suppose I could get the concept of flying the arc down in FSX and then bring it to the plane. I'm not paying 50 bucks an hour (plus instructor) for the circa-1980s-looking sim that my school has

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

KodiakRS posted:

German a320 down in the alps, no survivors.

CNN is already blaming the crash on weather because a mountain guide saw a cloud around the time the airplane crashed.

Had to turn the TV off when Don Lemon turned to the camera and said "When we return: Just how unsafe are budget carriers? Sure they save you a few bucks, but is it worth your life? We'll look into what kind of training etc do they receive?"

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

CBJSprague24 posted:

Les Abend and Miles O'Brien were just talking about how "low cost carriers are dangerous because they hire low time pilots" and seemed to lump American LCCs in there with their European counterparts. It reminded me why I shouldn't watch mainstream media talk about aviation, even with "experts".

I...don't think Allegiant, Spirit, or Southwest are hiring at what they deem low time, regardless of 1500 being in place, but thanks for playing.

Don't forget that LCCs have inferior training because they fall under different regulations and aren't held to the same standards as real airlines

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

How is it that if you can't get the lights on 33L, you don't just try for 33C? Why would they just turn around and go home?

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

hjp766 posted:

Also, if that pic is right I suspect its a dc9 derivative, or at any rate a cat c aircraft. No way could they plan other than a straight in ils with that weather.

Don't know if it makes any difference, but it's an Embraer E145.

Also I've never heard of a company having someone fly 2 planes, exception being 757/767 or a330/a340. That seems even more unusual that they would mix you on Boeing and Airbus. Recurrent training must be a nightmare?

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

As someone who flies in the DC area, it's enough of a pain in the rear end flying out of the FRZ. I hope this rear end in a top hat doesn't make things worse for us

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

fordan posted:

Good point. Although I suspect that little incident will speed up the testing and preparation of the aerostats with look-down radar they have at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds.

I'm based out of KMTN, that blimp is tethered about 10 miles away, it's almost on top of us. I've spotted it from the ground as far away as BWI

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Saw 6 planes lined up for 19L just yesterday at IAD.

Also I'm laughing at the CTI-ATC university student who started giving me a holier than thou act when I told him I want to work for the airlines.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

That was actually fantastic. Good on Delta!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

OP update, I'm loving instrument rated :toot: :toot: :toot:

If anyone cares I can do a write up tomorrow. It's still sinking in. I can't believe it

• Locked thread