Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
Yeah I can't wait to just file IFR everywhere. Just cause I can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

xaarman posted:

I like VFR so I don't have to worry about all that pesky take off planning.

IFR makes you feel like a real pilot though. No clouds/icing/airport/atc/equipment restrictions are gonna stop me!

Thunderstorm? What thunderstorm. I have a glass cockpit baby

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

e.pilot posted:

Well got a 90% on the shep air cpl practice test, time to sign up for the written tomorrow.

I've been getting 90s on the SPortys practice tests and was hoping to get it done before I leave the country on Friday but it's just not gonna work out. I'll have to wait a few weeks. We'll see if I'm lucky and my new cert is waiting when I get back :)

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

overdesigned posted:

Instrument checkride this weekend :ohdear:

Here's my copy-pasted from reddit checkride write up. Lemme know if this helps or not.

Flight was flown in a G1000 C172S with the GFC700 autopilot. Unfortunately I can't remember as much from the oral as I can from the flight, but here it goes.
My DPE had me plan a flight to KPIT with himself, a backseat passenger, and a ton of bags. The point being that we couldn't take off with full fuel, and to think about how that affects your go/no go decision. If we got to KPIT and our VFR out was back in Baltimore, well then we wouldn't have enough fuel to get back. He really stressed risk management (the importance of a very thorough preflight weather brief. Where is VFR? Where's your escape route?) and ADM. The oral was 5 hours, but it really didn't feel like it. It was more of a conversation back and forth and was actually very enjoyable. We discussed things like alternate minimums, had me brief an approach plate (whats that little V? -> vdp symbol,etc). The 3 tenets of instrument flying. We went over the G1000 system (how the AHRS works, how would you know the GPS is good if you missed the start up screen). Went over the Low en route chart and asked me questions about all the symbols on it. There was nothing out of the ordinary during the oral. It was much more situational than I was expecting. If you can get through the ASA Instrument Oral Prep book you will be fine for your oral exam.
So the DPE had me actually file and we flew IFR (although VMC). We had briefed the RNAV 34 at KDMW down to LNAV mins which would be fully coupled, the RNAV 16 at KDMW to LPV mins would serve as our hand flown precision approach, and the LOC 15 back into KMTN would be our partial panel non precision approach. Before the LOC we would arc back to MTN on the 14.7 DME published arc (Note: We didn't fly the arc approach, just the arc portion).
Departing MTN we got a right turn to 290 and before I had a chance to load an approach we were told direct TAFFI for the GPS 34. Not being quite ready I acknowledged ATC and asked for an initial vector while I got set up, DPE loved this. On the trek to TAFFI I engaged the autopilot in NAV mode tracking the GPS. We crossed TAFFI at 3000 and had to begin the descent, he wanted me to use FLC mode to hold 90 knots. I had been using V/S for descent in all my training so this was new but not a difficult adjustment. My first oh poo poo moment was when muscle memory armed the approach mode. This put GP (glide path) armed in the flight strip, since we were doing an LNAV approach the goal was not to descend on the GP. I was able to counter this by hitting FLC right before GP intercept. In retrospect pushing APPR again should have disabled it. This approach went fine, until I had a brain fart and disconnected the AP just after we reached MDA, a few seconds later I initiated the missed approach. Power in, go around button, FLC to hold the airspeed and then NAV to track the missed approach procedure, then re-engaged the AP. It took us through the procedure turn at UNYTS no problem.
My next big oh poo poo moment was when we initiated the GPS 16. I believe I somehow loaded the approach wrong; it wanted us to do another full hold at UNYTS but I thought he wanted me to just go straight in (since we'd already done the procedure hold in the missed approach). Also in the inbound turn the DPE disconnected the AP and turned off the Flight Director (FD). When I passed UNYTS it sequenced to the hold. I pressed direct NISPL and thought things were good but I got an advisory telling me the approach was not active. When I went in the menu to activate it, it reset the approach and wanted me to go back to UNYTS. I again hit direct NISPL and then tried to arm the approach, which turned on the FD, so I had to turn that back off. Again I was getting these advisory flashes. I was really starting to panic at this point, convinced I had royally hosed something up. I said to the examiner "I'm not really sure what's happening right now so I'm gonna execute the missed and try again." This was of course the right move. I started climbing up and gave Potomac a call telling them I was missed and would like a vector back to UNYTS to try again. DPE loved this. On the way back I cleared out all the approaches in the flight plan and reloaded GPS 16 LPV. We flew the procedure turn, a parallel entry this time, and that satisfied the GPS which then sequenced on to the approach. Flew that down to minimums no problem (actually the best GP tracking I've ever done) and did a touch & go. On the upwind/missed DPE called Potomac and asked for the published hold at EMI, we got a direct clearance to hold. I was a little unsure so I clarified "You mean the hold in the VOR 34 ?" He affirmed that, and said it was good of me to ask for clarification. We weren't far from the VOR by then so I had to scramble to think of the hold and where I was in relation to the VOR and how to enter, as by then he had turned off the FD again, and changed pages on the MFD so I had nothing but the CDI and DME. We flew the hold on raw data a couple laps and that went fine. My first lap around didn't have quite enough wind correction, I was blown through the inbound course on the inbound turn but was able to catch it pretty quickly. We then went around and I put in a little more wind correction. He discussed the temptation to go more than standard rate when you see that needle swinging in, and how you need to be disciplined and not overbank to catch it. He was also fine with going through it that first lap. You aren't supposed to get it the first time, just like tracking a course, you'll bracket your wind correction until you get it down.
After the hold at EMI we turned left direct SLOAF (see VOR/DME 15 @ KMTN) to join the arc. ATC thought we wanted to do the full approach but he clarified we wanted to arc into the localizer. They couldn't accommodate that but gave us a portion of the arc and offered vectors for the LOC, which we accepted.
On the way to the arc he took controls and we did the unusual attitude recovery. Nothing to it. He gave me back control and failed my PFD. Immediately switch to reversionary mode. He asked me what I still had available to me. My autopilot! Put it in NAV and altitude hold mode, in order to get us over to SLOAF. When I hit my 0.5 DME lead in, I put it in heading mode and twisted us over to join the arc. Flew that in heading mode no problem, never deviated past 0.2 nm.
Several minutes into that ATC gave us a vector to intercept the runway 15 localizer at MTN just outside of ALLDE intersection. Still partial panel, we descended and tracked the LOC in no problem, using the cross radials off of BAL to identify my step down fixes. Reaching circling minimums he had me come up and we circled to 15 (just flew a rectangular pattern). In the upwind leg he failed the MFD so all I had was my standby instruments. No big deal, we're flying a VFR pattern at this point. Just past the numbers on downwind he pulled the power for a simulated engine failure. No issue for our 7000 foot runway, impossible to screw that up.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Arcella posted:

Can anyone recommend a handheld scanner? I'd like to listen to local air traffic now and again.

I would avoid used. I bought my first one used off ebay and it was useless. I just got this one and it works fanastic. http://www.amazon.com/Uniden-Handheld-Scanner-Black-BC75XLT/dp/B00A1VSO9M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1433103339&sr=8-2&keywords=radio+scanner

There's no transmit button on a scanner.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

overdesigned posted:

Passed my checkride, I'm now a (NATOPS) instrument-qualified pilot. :feelsgood:

Congrats man! I haven't flown since my checkride and it' still sinking in.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

When going in for a new medical do you have to disclose things like dentist visits or eye doctor visits?

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

azflyboy posted:

According to the FAA, the answer is no for routine checkups or exams.

Thanks. Where did you find that? I've been searching the FAA site and don't see that

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

azflyboy posted:

The FAA doesn't make it super easy to find, but here's the link to the index for the full Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners. It tends to be somewhat dense (it's written for doctors, not pilots), but there's some good information in there.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/

Much obliged

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

So I know the CPL is going back to VFR, and that the 2 100nm/2hr xc with CFI must be under VFR. Is there any reason that the long 300nm solo xc can't be done under IFR? If I do it under IFR will it not count toward the CPL?

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Jealous Cow posted:

I have about 10 hours from last year at a place local to me in Virginia, but didn't feel good about my instructor or the way the place was run. I have family in Cleveland so I'm considering taking two weeks off and slogging through my private and maybe get started on instrument.

Whereabouts in VA? Near DC or not? Also don't expect to get through your PPL in 2 weeks

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I thought Apollo already owned a Mooney

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

fordan posted:

If I remember correctly from when I flew one to get my private certificate, 13 sump points. :negative:

Yep. 5 in each wing and 3 in the belly.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Hauldren Collider posted:

Why would you need five in each wing? The wing is canted up, so it should only have one point, by the fuselage...

Something something lawyers

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

98% on my CPL written. I didn't study hard enough...

jk :toot:

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

AWSEFT posted:

I can't message you, you cheap bastard!

I was going thru an old post of mine on Reddit and saw you commented on it (before I had your username tagged).

Message me on Reddit :)

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

AWSEFT posted:

That makes stalking and trolling you harder. :laugh:

Now I have to be on my guard

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

e.pilot posted:

URRR ONNNNNN GUUUAARRRRDDDDD

I wish I could upvote this.

Went up for the first time the other day since my IFR checkride over a month ago (was out of the country for a while).
1) It's really nice to be able to look outside again
2) I have to learn how to maneuver again. Anything greater than standard rate seemed like steep turns and set off BANK ANGLE alarms in my head

I'll be in the Arrow for the first time later next week, if we don't have more convective bullshit. Super excited :)

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Yeah no way that 150 was up at 15,000 feet.

Also we get "descend via the RAVNN5 except...." around Baltimore all the time. I'd think it's pretty common around most busy airspace.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Butt Reactor posted:

Uh, do 152s fall under the same category as 150s?

(in case you can't read the altimeter, WingX Pro has a handy GPS altimeter readout :ssh: )

Was this taken in July in the south?

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I started commercial maneuvers today. Holy gently caress chandelles/lazy 8s are fun. It's nice to be able to 'relax' again after all that IFR flying

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

The Ferret King posted:

Oshkosh 2015:

Lots of airplane and tent damage.

Did you come in with the Bonanzas? I flew in this afternoon with the Cessnas

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I flew a 145 from Moline, IL to Chicago a few summers back. Seemed like a decent enough ride (all 40 minutes of it), though I am on the smaller side. I just couldn't stop thinking the whole time how loving ineffecient that flight was. We couldn't have gotten above FL180. A turboprop would be so much more efficient for that route.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

e.pilot posted:

FIA and AGI done, 85 and 91 respectively :yotj:

If everything stays on track I'll be a CFI by the end of the month.

Out of curiosity, why are you going for a ground instructor cert if you are getting your CFI?

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

DNova posted:

Anyone else have bizarro flying dreams? I am a very vivid dreamer and I have a few recurring aviation dreams:

-Plane can't climb: I'm flying a few dozen feet off the ground, barely avoiding power cables and buildings, for some reason unable to climb.
-Land somewhere stupid: Land the plane, realize taking off from here is impossible. Also there's no 100LL available.
-Backseat flying: Plane is in cruise or taxiing but I'm in the back seat for some reason??
-Brakes don't work: Can't stop the plane from slowly taxiing into a collision with a hangar or a fuel pump or whatever. Engine refuses to idle usually too.

I recently had one where I landed on a nice little path in a park, and taxied past a snack stand to get some 100LL. While I was dealing with the pump, I realized that I had somehow suffered serious prop strikes (in my tricycle gear 172) during taxi. Waking up from that was quite a relief.

After getting my PPL I had a dream where I was gonna take a friend up. All the 172s were booked, no problem I'll just take the Arrow (which I had never flown). Once we were in the air I learned the controls were backwards and we ended up inverted scud running inches off the ground. That was loving bizzare

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

If anyone was considering buying a Stratus, consider this, from Reddit.

Part 1
Part 2

I just ordered my parts and hope to test it out this week.

gently caress Sporty's

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

My gripe with Sporty's is bigger than Stratus. They overcharge on everything. If it's not a Sporty's exclusive you can buy it on any other pilot supply site for less. I got a flashlight for night flying for $15 on Amazon that Sporty's was selling for $40. If you're planning an overwater flight and want life vests you can buy them from the company for 30% less than the Spoty's price. Amazon will overnight me a printer for $5, Sporty's will charge me $5 for 2 day shipping on a SECTIONAL. If you want 2 sectionals they will tack on another $3 in shipping.

Yes I use an EFB, I'm just using sectionals as an example.

At the expense of being totally on the outside, I love my (overpriced) Sporty's flight bag. :colbert:

E: Eat the rich

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Hauldren Collider posted:

Speaking of flight bags, what would you recommend for a student pilot? I'm kind of tired of carrying my stuff in a grocery sack.

If you plan on buying the Jeppesen kits they come with a cheap duffel style flight bag which served me well for a couple years. I finally got fed up with fishing around in it and bought this

Despite my bitching about sportys, their FlightGear line is really nice. And I personally prefer the bucket style bag to the duffel style.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

That kneeboard will poke out the top, as pictured here . I used that kneeboard when I was a student and to be honest it's overkill and really bulky. All you need is one of these , IFR or VFR, your choice

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

xaarman posted:

Just got back from signing up... jesus that plane is old. No electrical trim?!!?

Did I miss something? I see no info about an airplane on that page

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Who spilled coffee on a server at Washington Center? This is really loving up my whole weekend.

ZDC isn't still shut down is it? I thought it got sorted out yesterday

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

The Slaughter posted:

please update o/p, the world has another ATP with a E170/190 type. :cool:

Badass. Congrats man

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Had my first anomaly in the Arrow today. 10 minutes after takeoff we were leveled off at 2000' when the Gear Unsafe light came on. We trouble shot a bit, played with power settings, airspeeds, pitch attitude, but it persisted. We turned back and it extinguished itself. A few minutes later it came back on. On final we dropped the gear, got all 3 greens, did a low pass and tower indicated gear looked down and locked. Flew a pattern and landed without incident. Any Arrow experts in here know why the gear light would come on randomly like that?

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Man we're all just giving out our reddit names :downs:

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

helno posted:

You must be shocked that I use such different usernames on websites with similar themes.

Seems most of us do

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/08/27/pilot-shortage-faa-1500-hours-required-colgan-crash-alpa/32008451/

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

helno posted:

In more positive news the Stratux ADS-B receiver has gotten some press. And they used my 3d printed case in the article.

http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-...-less-than-$120

Great to see the project getting attention. Really no reason something like this needs to cost $900. Your 3d case designs are looking phenomenal. I'd love to get my hands on one once the GPS unit gets worked out

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I see you left the plastic bit on your NooElec. Some casemakers have taken the plastic off as it gets really hot (apparently much hotter than the Pi), and just thrown it inside the case. Thoughts? Any chance of hot exposed parts coming in contact with a wire and catching fire?

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Captain Apollo posted:

I CAN AND I WILL.

Southwest master race.

I can't count how many times I've been on an overbooked Southwest flight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

CFI initial gets so many people. You'll do fine next time, just take something away from this learning experience!

• Locked thread