Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Anyone have any words of wisdom for someone getting their private pilot cert?

I'm taking a part 61 ground school and have a few hours in the book flying. I'm 6'2" and my flight instructor is 6'6", and we squeeze into a c152. Oh what fun, but through the club the plane is only $65/hour, so it's worth it.

I have no interest in flying as a career, I just wanna fly around with my friends and look at poo poo out the window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I've never seen anything that says ADHD precludes you from getting a medical, it just makes the procedure more of a pain. It probably wouldn't hurt to talk to an AME and see what they have to say about it. If they say you won't pass, that doesn't mean you failed... You never took a medical.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Holy poo poo, that's terrifying. Hands down the longest 20 minutes of that guy's life. This is why I'm gonna start working on my instrument rating after getting my private. I've sailed boats a lot, and I know how fast conditions can go to hell.

Also, what does the FAA have to say about this? Surely they're not gonna let this one go without ripping that guy a new one for getting stuck in those conditions, right?
Everything I'm learning is "if you stick yourself in IMC conditions you're an idiot and the FAA is going to be pissed".

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

The Ferret King posted:

Hopefully isn't any more punitive than a check ride with an examiner and some recurrent training with a CFI/online modules/written material. If that.

I know the FAA is the big bad brother of certificate actions, but procedures are in place for ATC to assist VFR aircraft encountering instrument conditions. It's an expected service that we train for. It can happen to anyone.

Yea, and even though I can't afford the whole 40 hours and everything for IFR right away, I want to at least read the books and get a few hours of training. So at least I know the basics and won't be making GBS threads myself so bad if (when) it happens to me.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

One of the instructors at my school is selling his personal Cessna 150, and my instructor has been hired to fly it to Florida (from Maine).
His insurance covers use as a training plane, so my instructor asked if I wanted to go for the ride (HELL YES). I'll get to log the whole trip as training time, he'll get to log it all as dual instruction. We both win. I'll basically get about 20 free hours of training time in my logbook for the price of an Amtrak ticket from FL to ME and an awesome experience. I'm wicked excited. This makes my checkbook to checkride ratio a lot less stressful :)

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Captain Apollo posted:

Make sure you post pictures.

I'll see if I can borrow a camera from someone to take for the trip. Mine died over the summer and I don't have a phone. Hoping for nice weather the whole way, but if we end up flying IFR I can log IFR training time, heh. I've already started studying instrument stuff because that's a rating I really want to work on right after I get my private.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Bob A Feet posted:

I can't decide what's worse-- a ride in a 150 that far, or the ride in the amtrak back.

Just kidding, the ride in the 150 will be awesome. I love those things. The ride in the amtrak though? ....

The ride back is gonna suck. I wish I had more time to spend in FL. My car is completely rusted out; I'd love to buy a new (to me, at least) car down there that hasn't been exposed to road salt for the last 25 years...

My instructor and I are both 6'2" and it's tight fitting in the 152.... The 150 is gonna be fun haha.

After doing the W&B we have about 3lbs each for luggage.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Captain Apollo posted:

Don't worry too much about that. Plan the trip for long runways and low density altitude flying. By the time you taxi a bit and get going you'll be under gross the rest of the flight.

Well we're delivering a plane that neither of us own, so it's probably best if we don't crash it. I used to work delivering boats; my crew and I were always wicked careful on those trips. It's kinda embarrassing crashing someone else's thing. Even if insurance does cover it...
Startup and taxi allowance is like 0.5 gallons or something, and you probably don't even burn that when you stop, take a piss, grab fuel and take off again.

Anyway, a friend of mine gave me his old camera to replace my broken POS, so I'll definitely take pics of the trip and stuff.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Duke Chin posted:

Hah, like the battery would last that long.

Seriously though, they never ever last in mine... I've never even come close to filling an SD card before I have to swap the little bricks out. :mad:

Yea, I do high altitude weather balloon stuff. They often go above 120,000 feet. And the stupid gopros almost never last the whole flight, even with extended batteries.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Can't you get a USB external battery?

That would require putting a hole in the gopro case. Which risks the chance of air leaks, either through the hole or through the wire itself. The problem is, these sometimes land in lakes. Usually when the gopros go up the pressure inside the case is so great it lets air out, and when they come back down the vacuum is so strong it's incredibly hard to get them open. With that much vacuum it would be entirely possible to draw water in if it landed in a lake. It isn't out of the question, though. On one of the next launches I might fly an empty gopro case with an external battery setup, then dump it in water right away and see if i can make it air tight.
I've also built a vacuum chamber to simulate high altitude, so this will make a lot of these problems a lot easier to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

I only have experience with the exact opposite (electronics for dives) where you can throw it all in a plexiglass case and have it be ip67. You might need a parachute though at that point though

Yea, we run a parachute anyway. Payloads have to be less than 3 or 4 lbs per box as per the FARs to be legal as an unmanned unregistered balloon flight, though. So that's always a restriction.

• Locked thread