Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rubies posted:

I asked this in the stupid/small q's thread but didn't get a reply... maybe yous guys know?

Could an Airbus A320 plane land at Santa Barbara's airport? They have the runway lengths etc on the wiki but I don't know how to read the stuff about requirements on the 320. I want JetBlue to go there but I think the planes are too big :(

I'm not an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night

Looks like the longest runway at Santa Barbara is 6052 ft. http://www.airnav.com/airport/KSBA

And according to the wiki page an A318 can take off in 5997ft, and way longer for the others. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbus_A320_family#Specifications

So no, probably not.

e:
wait you said land, it might be able to do that if it were light, had a good headwind, and conditions were generally favorable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rickety Cricket posted:

Finally took my IFR written. Studied my rear end off and got a loving 100% :toot: :toot: :toot: Yes I know you only need a 70 but I feel loving fantastic considering how tough people say the IFR written test is. Now I just need to polish up the flying. Hopefully I can be done with IFR by the end of February.

Continuing my series of questions, I'm curious about the VOR 31 approach at KLNS: http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1501/00927V31.PDF

If you're approaching from the southeast and don't have radar vectors, I'd fly direct to the VOR. So how do I get turned around to fly that 139 outbound course? I've seen this type of thing occur on a ton of different plates and I'm never sure how exactly I'm supposed to get turned around. Whether it's plate by plate, or if there's a hard and fast rule about it. If you come from the West side it's easy, you just fly direct to the VOR and fly outbound. I hate course reversals

With a racetrack or teardrop pattern, you don't always have to do the 45/180 if it doesn't make sense to do so.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rickety Cricket posted:

So in this case am I doing something like this?

While that is perfectly correct it's not the most efficient way to go about it.

The MSA for the SE side of the VOR is 2600ft within 25nm, so as long as you stay at or above that altitude, you can extend the outbound to the east a little bit and fly it more like a hold and can skip the 45/180 turn altogether.

edit:
Just like a hold though be sure you do the racetrack or teardrop on the procedure turn side with the barb

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 30, 2015

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
If any of you goons are ever in Colorado and want to go to KLXV, the highest airport in North America, I'd be happy to take you.

They even give you a little certificate.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Arcella posted:

This is on my GA bucket list.

DNova posted:

Same here. Courcheval would be awesome too but that's a lot less likely for me.

Come on out, we can get beers and burgs at Perfect Landing afterwards.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

hjp766 posted:

I could argue that the Comet is up there...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Comet

As noone understood the problems of metal fatigue and the original square picture windows copied from non-pressurized aircraft killed it off, and handed the rest of the world the aircraft industry which had effectively been half dominated by the UK due to being the first successful production jet in respect of actually technology except the window frames!

Such a beautiful plane though.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I did spin recovery training today, that was interesting.

It's a really odd feeling looking up at the ground.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

kmcormick9 posted:

Cross post from ATC thread because i dont have a E145 POH handy.
What burns more fuel? Doing 220kts on a 40 minute flight and holding for 30 minutes while I fit you into the flow for ONE OF THE BUSIEST AIRPORTS ON THE EAST COAST, or just loving doing 300 like I asked you to?

lol the first one I'd imagine

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
On the RNAV in to Moab the sequence is NERRI FELTA FATPU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I can only imagine the IF in to KDEC is pronounced jizz sock

thanks gutter brain

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

KodiakRS posted:

Aviation Megathread | "Becoming a pilot was a terrible decision"

Where the dream/romance of flight comes to die?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

fordan posted:

We train for spontaneous black holes as well.

Practicing emergency black hole descents are the best.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Cocoa Crispies posted:

As long as you stay slower than 1.5 times the speed of light you're golden.

Yeah you've got to be careful, the FAA frowns on the breaking of the laws of physics below 10k AU.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

AWSEFT posted:

I can't even watch CNN when they talk about aviation.

Related:
We practiced losing the engine on departure at 800 agl in PC12 training. Made it back to the runway everytime no sweat. Not bad for a 10,000 lb glider.
Is there anything the PC12 can't do? drat

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

KodiakRS posted:

Dick

I wonder what will happen when CNN gets ahold of this? (they story, not the dick)

If I had known that's all I had to do to make the news I'd have done that a long time ago.

fake edit:
BREAKING NEWS: PILOTS HAVE IMMATURE SENSE OF HUMOR

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

Have you googled whether Mooney makes a helicopter yet?

The tail rotor is backwards.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

The Slaughter posted:

Compass hired me and said call when I'm a month out from 1500 hrs for a class date. Anybody know any good aircraft I could rent dry on the cheap?
Pretty happy to get it as it was my first choice. 4 of us took the tests, 2 went home. Tough stuff.

My club has some DA20s for 99/hr

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

The Slaughter posted:

I really hope that's the wet rate

Yes, they'll refund any fuel you buy.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

KAPA

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

fordan posted:

Downside: not IFR capable so hope it's good weather while you try to build PIC hours.

True, could take a 430W equipped 172N for $99/hr too.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
If you're using a 430/530 you can set it to show nearest VORs and just keep the bearing to station the same as the left or right 90° on the DG.

Lots of ways to cheat at arcs, but turn ten twist ten is easy enough, the PTS of +/- 1nm is more than generous.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rickety Cricket posted:

I suppose I could get the concept of flying the arc down in FSX and then bring it to the plane. I'm not paying 50 bucks an hour (plus instructor) for the circa-1980s-looking sim that my school has

Even PC sims are great for practicing IFR stuff assuming you have a yoke or stick.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

On one hand, I hope wages go up and working conditions improve, but I also agree with them (and, I'm guessing, everyone else here) that it's pretty retarded to require 1500 hours before acting as a FO (and, it seems, this is not a requirement in Canada. Go my country!)
I think maybe half (so 750) would be an acceptable compromise, because yeah 1500 for an FO, especially in tiny RJs, is kind of silly.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 23, 2015

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Logged my first actual today, a whopping 0.2 :toot:

Then had to descend because of light rime :(

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

If you are hell bent on suicide, why not just nose dive straight into the ground? Granted, its an airbus so HAL is flying but it seems like there should be a faster way to kill yourself, especially with someone beating on the door.

Germans even commit suicide precisely.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
cracked 200 hours last night :toot:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
KDEN wins April Fools

http://www.flydenver.com/newworldorder

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

The Locator posted:

Access denied

You are not authorized to access this page.

:(

https://web.archive.org/web/20150401234015/http://www.flydenver.com/newworldorder

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

hobbesmaster posted:

Clearly anyone that does that is insane and thus not qualified to hold a first class medical.

Don't tell the FAA this. :shepicide:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

DNova posted:

You guys somehow actually make me excited about getting an instrument rating as soon as possible. I'm going to wait until I can fly more regularly again though.

IFR is a blast. Especially when you shoot your first real IMC approach.

Make sure you spend some time in a sim with your CFI before you start flying a plane, it's a lot cheaper and can get the basics out of the way without spending 10-15 minutes resetting for the next approach. Plus there's no pause button in the plane to stop and talk about things mid flight.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

The Ferret King posted:

Why would TACAN azimuth be required? I see the note on the chart. I just don't get the reason.

The gov plate doesn't show TACAN being required, just DME, I don't know why the jepp one would.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 11, 2015

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

hobbesmaster posted:

With what exactly. :allears:

SCRAMBLE THE JETS

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Control Volume posted:

Fox News was on at the gym talking about this, someone made a tepid joke about how he "literally flew under the radar," then one of the talk show people quipped, "Well why don't they lower the radar?"

loving love news channels talking about aviation

If you liked that then you'll love the commentary on this one:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/video/see-planes-terrifying-takeoff/vi-AAaVWXn?ocid=iehp

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Started tailwheel training today, should have done this years ago.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

DNova posted:

What plane?

150hp Citabria.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Second day of tailwheel training done, logged 2.6 hours and 11ty landings. Getting to the point I feel like I am actually landing the plane vs. just getting lucky. :toot:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

vessbot posted:

I prostrate myself before the ghost of Charles Taylor in atonement for having the temerity to write a squawk on a Friday night... in the end I guess the reliability of my localizer indication is not that important in the face of you going home early. So sorry for sprinkling frivolous squawks like that all over the maintenance log while laughing in your face for having to stay at work to do your job while I waltz home from my plush-rear end banker's hours flying feeder freight.

Squawk:
Localizer needle off

MX:
Turned on needle

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

helno posted:

That puts you into the experimental world and would let you get ADS-B cheaper than the current crop of certified solutions.

Many people facing large bills for new transponders are pretty pissed that experimentals can run the cheaper non-TSO transponders while they have to fork out for certified hardware.

I could never see myself owning anything other than an EAB aircraft, certified planes are just wallet rape.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 28, 2015

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

DNova posted:

That means you can never fly in IMC, right?

Just can't carry passengers/cargo for compensation.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
lol I'm getting an aviation technology degree with a CTI focus

Have zero intention on using the CTI part though, just did that so I could have more freedom/flexibility on which classes I took compared to the professional pilot focus.

Good to know it's even more worthless now. :college:

edit:
also got my tailwheel endorsement today :toot:

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 3, 2015

• Locked thread