Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

dupersaurus posted:

Question from a would-be pilot that's been bugging me. I know that there's air speed and ground speed, and ground speed is air speed plus any air mass movement; but does rotation of the planet factor in any, or are we still in the reference frame of the planet and rotating with it?

Everything on the ground, and the atmosphere all rotate with the planet. Yes, you're moving faster as an absolute, but to any reference that matters to an air breathing airplane, planetary rotation has no effect.

Think of earth as an enormous treadmill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

simble posted:

But if the Earth is a treadmill, how can any plane takeoff?!

More importantly, why am I still fat? :btroll:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Isn't this the second time this year aurora has caught fire?

First time was the TRACON; This is the ARTCC. Different facilities.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Captain Apollo posted:

I just booked my first helicopter lesson.

This outta be fun.

Oh god.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KodiakRS posted:

Be careful, you may be creating a monster that you can't control. Next thing you know he'll be talking about lessons, then an instrument rating, then looking for jobs, and next thing you know you have a full blown professional pilot on your hands. Aviation is like a $100/hour narcotic and it only takes a little taste to become hopelessly addicted.

The best way to ensure your child is happy, but financially insolvent until they're forty is to introduce them to aviation.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CBJSprague24 posted:

On the way back from doing some work on the family's vacation house a couple months ago, my mom and I talked to a Chautauqua ERJ captain at CLT commuting to CMH. When talking flying careers, he told her "If either of my kids say they want to be an airline pilot, I'm going to bean them over the head.".

I'd already picked up Private, Instrument, and realized it wasn't worth continuing two years before that point, but I think it opened her eyes as to how bad things really can be nowadays in aviation. And from the sound of things, he's not half as screwed as the guys and girls at Envoy.

Most of my pilot buddies' emotional states most closely resemble that of battered wives. Basically happy, and the sex is amazing, but it could be even better if he would just stop punching me in the face at night.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

two_beer_bishes posted:

I'm thinking about a career as an A&P. I'm hesitant though since I spent a fortune on flying only to get the shaft when they changed the hiring rules (and no interest in paying for CFI at this point) and I'm getting the shaft in ATC after spending money on a cti degree (changed hiring practices made that degree irrelevant) and will age out fairly soon (2 years).

Getting my A&P is something I've thought of for years but never pursued because at the time my plan was purely to be able to do everything on my own plane (don't have yet) and do some work on the side. Looking at schools though, it looks like it'll cost me anywhere from $15-50k for a 2+ year program. Instead of paying for the schooling, it looks like I can find an A&P to work under and log that experience which counts towards the A&P certificates. Is it hard/impossible to find an arrangement like that?

I love working on cars and tinkering with stuff, and I love working in aviation so it seems like it'll be a good job for me.

The part 147 school I went to is still less than $2k a semester. More importantly, when you get your certificate, suddenly no one gives a gently caress that you got it at Riddle or Spartan. They care about what kind of experience you have, which will be none. Don't pay $20k for an A&P, its just not a field where schooling matters much. (Unless you go into management.)

Getting a job on jets without a license is pretty hard. You basically have to go to work for a repair station, and go that route, which can be hit-or-miss in terms of ever getting to work on whole-airplanes (REBUILDING LANDING GEAR FOR THIRTY YEARS SOUNDS LIKE FUN.) In GA, though, you can generally get a job as a shop assistant, and learn that way. You'll open and close a lot of panels, do a lot of oil changes, and generally be a gopher, but if it's a good shop, and you're not lazy/an idiot, you should be able to get a sign-off at the minimums.

Helicopters are a specialized field of their own, with generally a lot more travel, and better pay, but you have to fight with constant swarms of ex-military mechanics just to get your foot in the door. The only company I've ever been aware of hiring new mechanics to work on helicopters is PHI in Louisiana, and the starting pay was lousy.

I wouldn't pin my hopes the ATC thing either, but don't give up on it, either, and keep applying whenever bids go out. You only have to receive a tentative offer letter before your 31st birthday, not actually begin employment. I went to the academy with someone who walked in the door three weeks after her thirty-fifth birthday.

Relevant-question: Are you under 5'6" or so? Are you generally the shortest guy in a room, or close to it?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

No fuel-tank-diving for either of us, then.

:):respek::)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sarrisan posted:

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I couldn't find it, so sorry in advance for newbie questions.

Being a pilot has easily been my dream since childhood. I gave up on it at one point as being unrealistic, but after kicking around in retail for 4 years I've decided that if I'm gonna have poo poo pay and poo poo hours I might as well be doing something awesome like flying an airplane.

I'm doing as much research as I can, but I was curious what goon's opinions were about career paths for getting into aviation. Should I start grinding my way up, license by license, or is there some program I should be looking for? Should I start saving my pennies for the next few years for flight lessons or can you get some sort of student loan?

Sorry if these are common questions, but there seems to be so much to take in that every bit of guidance is appreciated, and I'm paranoid about taking some wrong move which seems great at the moment but fucks me later.

How old are you?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/prerequ/woft.shtml

At least give it a shot.

Edit: also keep an eye on this thread here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3608176&perpage=40&pagenumber=17

MrYenko fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 3, 2014

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Slaughter posted:

Finish your written test, don't procrastinate.

Month number eight of written procrastination, checking in.

Don't be me.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

File an aviation safety report. It does help.

Do this.

Not only does it actually get looked at and acted upon in necessary, but I think you get a letter in the mail from NASA. :v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I have a not-pilot-related question about aviation industry jobs, so I figured I'd ask here rather than the thread in AI. If I wanted to get a job working as an aviation mechanic/technician in Southeast Michigan, where would I start looking for information on schooling/training/jobs/etc?

Part 147 Schools:

http://airframe-powerplant.com/airframe-powerplant-schools-michigan.htm

Other than that, you can just try to land a shop helper job at any repair station or GA shop, and get certified that way.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Captain Apollo posted:

So now that oil prices per barrel have fallen, 100LL prices for GA will fall too, right??!!

Paid $4.38/g yesterday. I think I've paid more for 93 auto gas in the past year.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Slaughter posted:

We were explicitly not allowed to use previous work/papers. Which is bs cause I had a nice one tearing the TSA a new rear end in a top hat that I wasn't allowed to use.

I would read the poo poo out of that. I hold TSA in the same regard that I hold that pinkish slime you get in the shower when you don't scrub the floor often enough.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ethanol posted:

By military route you mean what exactly? I don't think there's any chance in hell I could get into a pilot slot but I am taking a look at this post-9/11 GI bill for enlistees. It seems to be eligible to pay for flight training as long as you already have a ppl. Maybe that way can do my private cert now and complete commercial flight training later for free. If that path means no loans, that might not be so bad providing it was only a couple of years refueling jets or something in the chair force.

I can't mention this often enough.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Captain Apollo posted:

God that would be fun.

Can't imagine being a demi-officer though - That would blow I would think

I have a friend that took a commission out of college, and went into fling wing aviation. She flew for a little bit, but almost immediately got promoted to a "leadership building position" (desk.) Her entire second tour in Iraq, she just barely managed to stay current, and ended up getting out with a quarter the hours of a WO with the same time in service.

If you just want to fly, there ain't too many better choices than as a WO in the Army.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jealous Cow posted:

Pretty sure takeoff thrust is takeoff thrust. You wouldn't want an engine to fail between V1 and Vr and not have the other at max power.

Reduced-thrust takeoffs are a common thing. Engines are loving expensive, and they don't fail often.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I put BLMKN on the last list of possible fix names that got circulated. We'll see if it gets used.

There's a GOONS up near Cross City or Tallahassee, on J73 somewhere.

We have YOHOR on one of our GPS approaches. Pronounced by all as Yo, whore, of course.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Most pilots I've known could learn a thing or two about boozin' from controllers.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Touch and goes at Tamiami?

NEVER.

(They have a number of really big flight schools there.)

EDIT: that one is owned by Dean International, one of the bigger flight schools.

MrYenko fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 2, 2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Uncommanded engine shutdown, leading to unintentional off-airport arrival.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

C/W task card 2274. Sacrificed goats IAW Boeing MM 51-20 pg3. Akash Bhairab ops check good.

MrYenko
A&P3135556

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The 1500hr rule is crony politics of the worst kind.

May or may not have anything to do with the original event that precipitated legislative action? that's a mostly no, so check.

Does very little or nothing to address the issue? Check.

Carved out a huge competitive advantage for certain people/businesses? Check!

Profit/Get reelected!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PT6A posted:

This is another major, major problem: the current system actively discourages people from seeking help for any kind of mental conditions (or physical conditions, to some degree, but those are harder to lie about). And every time the regulations are made more stringent, the problem only becomes worse.

Yeah, I don't think we can say it's even likely at this point, although it's certainly a possibility (as are many other things).

I don't go to the doctor for normal poo poo, for fear of losing my medical, even temporarily. I see the flight surgeon once a year for my physical, and that's it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

Had to do a psych eval for ATC and I got in so it can't be that good.

I'm pretty sure that test is just to prove that we're NOT normal.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

thehustler posted:

OK, so, not a pilot, but is there any way you can get the GPWS to feed into the autopilot and make it pull up on a terrain warning? Maybe you shouldn't be able to set altitudes as low as 100ft when you're not anywhere near an airport? Or in certain phases of flight you can't set "low" altitudes. Some sort of onboard terrain radar-map database thing?

I'm just spitballing based on a conversation on Facebook. Is any of this doable? And is it needed for what is a very rare occurance?

There are situations in the real world where ignoring the GPWS is part of normal operations. Certain approaches to some high-altitude airports in South and Central America, just as examples.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Last minute road trip to Lakeland for Sun 'N Fun this morning. Report to follow. Possibly terrible pictures.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fordan posted:

You missed the Breitling Jet Team, which was an interesting addition. Beautiful graceful jet formation flying, sort of a ballet to the Thunderbird's break dancing.

Ya, lots of static displays were leaving as we were getting here, too. Sunday is leaving day. :(

Brighter side: the FSDO guys let us up on the upper deck of their office for the airshow. Working for the man has its perks.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KodiakRS posted:

-If you depart VFR then try to pick up IFR in the air you're going to get denied and then the controller is going to laugh at you.

We had a similar policy when the super bowl was in Miami. The butthurt was flowing freely.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

azflyboy posted:

The FAA only specifies what items have to be covered in the briefings (125.327 if you're really bored), but doesn't specify how the briefings are conducted as long as those items are covered. Airlines are required to publish a procedure for doing the briefings in their flight attendant manuals (which are signed off on by the FAA), but my guess is that procedure often isn't a lot more specific than "these items must be mentioned in the briefing".

And the likelihood of something getting forgotten from a safety briefing goes down dramatically when all the cabin crew has to do is press play.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

frenchnewwave posted:

Curious - how come there are so few female commercial pilots? I've never been on a flight that had a female pilot, captain or otherwise. Is the industry changing at all? Have you met any?

Informally, I'd say probably 10-20% of the (domestic) air carriers I talk to have at least one female on the flight deck. That number seems similar for corporate GA and Part 135 operators, as well, perhaps a touch lower.

FAR fewer females seem to be in GA, though. You never hear a woman's voice coming from an RV-6 flying around for fun, as an example, and I've only ever met a single female aircraft mechanic, despite the military training a good deal of them.

As for why that is, you could probably write a research paper or twelve, but I honestly feel that it's just that women aren't as attracted to technical fields, or machinery in particular. Not that they are incapable, just that they don't seem to be particularly interested. :(

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So, a semi-autonomous quadcopter with a LIDAR scanner, and a 4K camera might mean mechanics won't have to do scratch and dent inspections at EasyJet, anymore.

http://goo.gl/FIp6LZ

Pretty cool, if they actually go through with it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hobbesmaster posted:

What 3d resolution do you need for that kind of inspection anyways? What's usually called LIDAR isn't typically used for inspection.

I'd imagine sub-thirty-second of an inch would be ideal, but of course the more precise, the better. Those kinds of inspections are generally done visually by humans, from a foot or two away, so if you can approximate that, you're golden. You're searching for dents, nicks, burrs, scratches, etc, not tiny stress cracks or anything. They're generally conditional inspections, done after a bird strike, or after a ramper prangs a luggage cart or catering truck off the side of the airplane. They're also a first-step type of inspection, IE: You hit a bird, and it makes a dent that gets caught by the dude with a flashlight. You measure it, and find that the dent is ~0.150 inches deep, which exceeds the limit in the aircraft maintenance manual, so you bring out the dye penetrant and eddy-current guys, who do a full evaluation of the damage. You're not expecting that first inspection to fully evaluate any damage, just alert you to potential problems.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hobbesmaster posted:

poo poo, 30 thou? Whats the required inspection time for an entire aircraft?

That's the thing, I've never seen it done to the whole airframe at once. Its normally either done incrementally during a heavy check, or done on-condition, where you inspect the impact location after a bird or GSE strike. Being able to do the entire aircraft in the amount of time it would normally take to set up the man-lifts would be a rather large advantage. It'd be great for contract maintenance facilities, as well.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The comprehensive and all-encompassing PPL reading list.

Everything mentioned above is useful, too, but Langewiesche is simply the best book about the physical act of flying you'll find.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Stupid Post Maker posted:

Does the average person flying drones know what any of that means?

This is the disconnect. Having been in the multirotor/FPV/RC hobby for a little while, the level of basic aeronautical knowledge is extremely low, even with experienced hobbyists. Those that stay in the hobby for a long while tend to develop a feel for basic concepts, but even they sometimes cannot effectively communicate with the aviation community, because of the differences in language between them.

The AVERAGE person with a DJI phantom probably knows nothing more about aviation and aviating than how to give Southwest his credit card number.

Enforcement doesn't help if the entire community is oblivious not just to the law, but to the concepts the law is in place to protect/regulate.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Training/rental airplanes are just about the least likely place to find water in fuel, but it can and does happen. The surest way is to park an airplane overnight, or for long periods, with the fuel tanks less than full. The cold mass of fuel causes water to condense out of the air inside the tanks in the morning, where it gets entrained in the fuel.

Training/rental airplanes get used a lot, which not only keeps the water mixed and dispersed in the fuel through agitation, but the fuel gets burned off regularly, and the tanks are generally topped off after use, minimizing the air space in the tanks for water to condense in the first place. :eng101:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

Someone should tell all the CFIs. I nominate hobbesmaster.

Lead poisoning from 100LL the reason CFIs will jump at a $17k/yr "opportunity" at a regional? You decide!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Please tell me that while they've capped their -200s at FL280, they're still maintaining their RVSM certifications, for maximum :ironicat:.

• Locked thread