Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That guy skimmed the NOTAM, half-assed his planning, and violated a presidential TFR. Now, I'm very much of the opinion that the post-9/11 U.S. Federal government is entirely too willing to turn off aviation in entire cities whenever the president goes somewhere to have dinner with rich/celebrity donors, but that doesn't change the fact that DoHS treats presidential TFR violations like every violator has a nuke on board. You need to take that poo poo seriously, because the Feds that meet you on the ramp after you land sure as hell will. The fact that he got off with only a 30 day suspension of his certificate is the most surprising part of the story to me. Conversely, the FAA saying that their own ADS-B-delivered advisory products are not legal as flight-safety material is darkly hilarious, and totally expected. :v:

If you so much as IMAGINE that an area you plan on operating in MIGHT have a TFR at any altitude, let alone a VVIP TFR, you need to be talking to an air traffic controller, and you need to read and re-read the NOTAMs until you're 100% sure you understand them before you go within 100nm of the thing.

As for getting bumped by an F-16... I think there's people in this thread that would pay extra for that... :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

If an air traffic controller got distracted with some other traffic and you nicked the edge of a TFR it'd still be your fault anyway. Assuming 2-way communications didn't allow you entry that is.

I'm not sure how secure I'd feel even with ATC contact.

Absolutely still the pilot's responsibility to remain clear, but If you're working radar, and an aircraft asks for flight following to XYZ airport, which has a TFR over it, doesn't that set off some alarm bells in your brain? I'm not saying he needed to get an IFR clearance, or even get VFR radar services, but just asking a controller in the area if XYZ was clear of the TFR could have prevented the entire situation. It sounds like he tried to get FF, but the controller was busy, and didn't get to him in time. That happens, but if you're unsure as to the status of a TFR, you should probably stay the hell away until such time as you can be sure, is all I'm saying.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Slaughter posted:

I can't think of a single time in 6 years of aviation all around the country that I've actually been denied flight following, even in Chicago. I've been told to standby and had to wait ~10 min but I've never not actually received flight following when persistent. The only exception to that would be areas without radar coverage (low in the MOAs west/nw of KDVT, and on the Big Island in Hawaii at ~3500 ft with the two volcanos blocking the radar both come to mind). This guy says the controller was 'slammed', when that happens I would just keep monitoring the freq and eventually if you're brisk you ought to be able to at least get in a 'approach, cessna 12345, request' and they will remember you and get to you when they can.

Even if you can't get his attention long enough to get a code, you can just ask if the airport of interest is affected by a TFR. He'll probably gladly answer you just to get you to go away. :v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

I think this is a situation where protection should have been afforded.

Agreed, especially based on the fact that the FAA's own advisory information was flawed.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rickety Cricket posted:

I'll be in the Arrow for the first time later next week, if we don't have more convective bullshit. Super excited :)

Spoiler: there will be convective activity. :v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Captain Apollo posted:

Left my airplane for 3 days about 2 hours from me because of weather. Rented a car and drove home.

Got back to it today. Really considered not preflighting it but I knew the Internet would be mad so I went ahead and did it.

Yeah welp- this came straight out of my right tank.

That's a god damned fly in my fuel tank. How in the motherfuck did that happen???

More realistically, how the gently caress did it come out through the sump drain?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Wear a hat. Not only does it keep the sun out of your eyes, but when you bump your head, it generally saves you from scrapes and cuts to the scalp.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PT6A posted:

I think it's really dependent on the area and the people involved, much like anything. If you have volunteers who are there because they actually want to help people and do useful things, it will be good. If you have a bunch of morons who are there because they want to play dress-up and pretend they're in the air force, it will be bad.

Our local CAP seems to be the second kind, sadly. I'd gladly go volunteer as a spotter for SAR, but I don't want to have to deal with someone's personal fake Air Force fiefdom.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

I've never been to Oshkosh.

Shame this man.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

gently caress. That. poo poo.

Edit: I meant the 777 landing, but oddly, works for the FAA's estimation of their own TFR list's accuracy.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DNova posted:

Will ADS-B In depict active TFRs along with weather and traffic?

Yes, but again, there is case law arguing that the FAA doesn't regard ADS-B distributed TFR information as complete or accurate, either.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

AWSEFT posted:

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2015/July/Pilot/pe_na

To make matters worse:

I do this daily at work. So between fltplan.com that I sometimes use on my iPad for lack of time, its link to the FAA TFR page (that I always look at), and my onboard ADS-B display, I could still violate a TFR and it'd be my fault.

The best part is that there are people in the regulatory parts of the FAA that look at this situation, AND SEE NOTHING WRONG WITH IT.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Agreed that it was the fault of dispatch for not planning around the NOTAMed closure, and then it was the fault of both dispatch and the PIC for either not planning for enough divert fuel, or for holding long enough that a divert wasn't possible, but as mentioned multiple times above, the FAA's flight safety information is delivered in a way that is an absolute human factors nightmare, could be EASILY changed to a format more condusive to easy understanding, and is only still issued in that format because "That's the way we've always done it."

Simply pointing at a regulation and saying that the flight crew didn't comply with it, and therefore it's all their fault LALALALALALA I CANT HEAR YOU THERES NO PROBLEM doesn't mean that the entire regulation, and indeed, parts of the entire regulatory structure aren't a goddamned disgrace.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CBJSprague24 posted:

Just pointing this out for anyone else who may be interested before we get back to NOTAMania, JustPlanes is having a clearance sale on many of their cockpit DVDs/BluRays this month and next. I picked up a Gemini DC-10 and Air Canada A319/A321 cockpit video for $5 and $10 respectively.

The sale through the end of this month is on all non-Boeing types, though they reduced the price on a couple Boeing DVDs for some reason. Deep discounts on Boeing videos start August 1st.

These can be a fun way to kill a couple hours and they have pretty much every type you can think of with a cockpit ride along. If you're interested in recommendations, I have a few of them I've purchased over the years.

The captain flying right seat on that GAC flight is a Genuine Good loving Guy. He was always a pleasure to work with.

The captain flying left seat was a huge cock. HUGE COCK.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CBJSprague24 posted:

Interesting. I've only seen about 10 minutes of it so far. Got any stories worth sharing? Do/did you know much about the F/E? I got a laugh out of his "What am I supposed to do now?" pause at the end of the walkaround.

I'll have to see if I can find a copy of it. I haven't seen the full video in several years, and the segment that's on YouTube never shows the F/E.

Or the tail number. I'd probably have better stories about the particular tail than I would about the flight crew.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hadlock posted:

What about aircraft engines makes them consume oil so fast? I know their ignition system is greatly simplified, and they typically run a higher compression but when you compare it to a car engine where you might see one quart of oil consumption per year on a well maintained engine. One quart per 6 hours seems excessive. I realize prop engines haven't changed significantly in probably 50 years but half a quart an hour in a 4 stroke engine is kind of mind blowing.

Air cooled engines typically have slightly larger piston/bore clearances in general, and aircraft engines tend to have even bigger clearances than car engines. The biggest factor is honestly just fifty years of engine development. Aircraft piston engines from Lycoming and Continental are almost universally using ring packages that were originally designed when there was a Kennedy in the White House.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hauldren Collider posted:

See, I just flat out don't believe this. My car puts out a pretty constant 2000+ RPM on the highway at speed, same as a Cessna when cruising, has absolutely no problem powering up steep hills while going 75+ mph, and I SERIOUSLY doubt Honda would have much difficulty modifying a car engine for whatever minor difference in performance is required for an airplane anyway, particularly given past success and the capabilities of modern automobile engines.

Yes, this seems like the real reason: The government regulating GA and GA innovation out of existence.

EDIT: To clarify, I believe all the things you said about the difference in design, I just don't believe that it would be much of a factor considering how much more modern car engines are these days.

The Honda is making perhaps 10% of its rated power at 2k RPM on the highway. Power setting =/= RPM. Try driving it with your foot almost completely matted to the floor for two hours at a stretch, and let me know what fails first; And it WILL fail. An O-320, on the other hand, you can push the throttle all the way in, and loving LEAVE IT THERE until it runs out of fuel, and it'll be perfectly happy, as long as you have the mixture set halfway properly, and are going fast enough to keep it cool. However, even at 100% power, it's probably only turning 2700rpm. Car engines, as explained above, are designed to produce high peak power, but aren't generally expected to produce even 50% power for more than a few dozen seconds, or perhaps a minute or two at a time. The majority of the time, they are just ticking over, running accessories, and providing the minimal amount of power required to push the car down the road (Its something like 15-25hp at 65mph.) This leads to manufacturers building engines that will not survive extended periods at high power/RPM, and if subjected to such, you start to see fun things happen.

Another fun fact: something like 80% of the engines installed in GA aircraft DON'T require 100LL, and in fact, quite a few of them were certified on 80/87, and would very happily run on mogas (in fact, the aforementioned O-320, as well as O-200s, O-470s, and O-300s will actually run better on 87 or 91 octane mogas than they do on 100LL,) if you could still get it without liquid corn subsidies alchohol ethanol in it. The problem that the entire industry and community is facing is that the remaining 20% of engines, the ones that actually require 100LL or an equivalently high octane fuel, burn something like 90% of the AVGAS consumed in the US. It's made replacing 100LL extremely problematic, because there is only a very small demand for a lower octane fuel.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrChips posted:

*coughcough*Thielert.

...And we see how well THAT'S gone off, haven't we?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CRJ-200s can gently caress off, forever.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Guys that fly professionally with an iPad: Do you carry a full-size, or an iPad mini?

I've flown with a full size quite a few times, and a friend just got a mini that seems like it would be a hell of a lot more convenient in the cockpit of something smaller than a Boeing product...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

xaarman posted:

Just got back from signing up... jesus that plane is old. No electrical trim?!!?

Not sure if serious, or if you're actually that spoiled.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ausgezeichnet posted:

... and Eclipses. Jet-powered Gynecologists.

More like jet-powered speed bumps in the sky.

:v: "We'd like to request flight level three-five-zero."
:what: "Say planned mach at flight level three-five-zero?"
:v: "Uhhhhmmmm, Mach point six three."
:what: "...Maintain flight level two-niner-zero, I'll have higher when it's available." (IT WILL NEVER BE AVAILABLE YOU SLOW poo poo GO BACK TO YOUR BONANZA)

This is not to say that if given the keys to one, I wouldn't go fly it loving EVERYWHERE. They're just annoying to work.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rolo posted:

I've done a lot of micro switch work when I was working as an a&p. Not guaranteeing you it's a switch but man those things are pretty rinky dink.

Any decent mechanic should be able to chase the problem down, but often, a guy who specializes in your manufacturer, and works on a lot of your model might be worth going to. Rigging and adjusting gear switches is as much art as science.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

xaarman posted:

So this is making the rounds on Facebook....

https://soundcloud.com/atc-atc/booty-call

:perfect:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Slaughter posted:

(I won't be in Florida but definitely California a ton)

:reject:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

vessbot posted:

Just learned something new... huh.

Obviously airframe dependent, and probably because the CRJ has fuse-mounted engines.

When you defer a wing T/R on a DC-10, as an example, you have to physically disable BOTH wing T/Rs, per the MEL.

You also have to safetywire the T/R handles so they're immobile, in case the crew can't remember which orange sticker is which.

:v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

helno posted:

Got the bill for my first annual inspection and the hail damaged window repair.

$3200

IIRC, you're Canadian, meaning this is C$3200, correct?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Your stereotypical aging pilot is a hell of a lot more of a liability behind the wheel of the 5400lb SUV dodging through traffic than he is in his 2200lb airplane. Why is he allowed to drive with a condition that denies him the privilege to fly?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

According to the FAA, over-the-counter NyQuil has a 60 hour last-dose-to-work wait time.

NyQuil.

Most of the people I know who have to maintain a medical are convinced that they're going to die of some easily preventable ailment, because they don't want to be medically disqualified from working, and won't go see a doctor.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

two_beer_bishes posted:

I have a very good immune system and I avoid going to the doctor for this reason. My current job requires a doctor's note for any sick time use which means I never use sick time.

Are controllers required to maintain an FAA medical?

Yup. Class 2/B/The middle one.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

two_beer_bishes posted:

I just did my initial physical for ATC with the same AME that did my last FAA medical. In the future will I need to have separate medical certificates or can I get my 1st class for flying and that'll be good enough?

It does. When we get our Medical though, it's on an internal FAA form, so they don't generally issue you what pilots recognize as a class 2 medical. You can just ask the flight surgeon or their seceratary, though, and they'll issue the paper medical, since the exam is identical, it's just the paperwork that differs. Sometimes they get you for :10bux:, depends on the office.

MrYenko fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 21, 2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZydrXAq2pY

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Congrats! I'm pretty sure there are essentially infinite numbers of hours to be had in the VRB/FPR area, if you're willing to get killed by train the aforementioned foreign students.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I cannot say that I'm sorry to see USAir go.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

Presently I have both but I'm trading in my binoculars for a permanent tour in a dark radar room.

No more up/down for me. Unless I washout of of training, of course. Then who knows.

No clue how to do En Route or Non Radar sectors though. Those will remain a mystery to me.

It's ok. We're all pretty sure that terminal radar controllers use magic and hope for separation.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Arcella posted:

Planes just want to fly! :buddy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHhZwvdRR5c

:3:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

vessbot posted:

Yeah, so this was seriously a question in the computer-based indoc I'm taking for a 135 company. Right now.

"Which is more accurate, an NDB hold, or an LFR hold?"

:v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrChips posted:

The guard police clip :laffo:

The readback skit got a good chuckle out of me, but I lost it when he went on guard. That was loving brilliant.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CBJSprague24 posted:

Ok, I've already done SI once so it sounds like I might be good. Thanks for clarifying.

I'd love to know more about GUARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD horror stories. Are there really Guard Nazis/Trolls monitoring the frequency?

There's someone in the South Florida area, or at least someone who flies through here semi-regularly, who keys up on guard, and let's fly with an absolutely perfect Chewbacca, every couple weeks. No other sounds, just Chewie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

AWSEFT posted:

I might know this guy. Keep an eye on NK flights.

Please tell him that his color commentary, while officially frowned upon, is loving amazing.

• Locked thread