Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Groda posted:

I am constantly :psyduck:ing at my Swedish colleagues, but if you're white, boring and middle-aged, Florida is just so hopelessly popular.

Stockholm-Arlanda has direct flights to Fort Lauderdale.

To be fair, banana hammocks are probably uncomfortable in Stockholm at this time of year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PT6A posted:

Ft. Lauderdale Beach is a hateful place filled with garbage people. I must be a broken affluent white guy because literally everyone I've interacted with up to and including the TSA have been more pleasant than my fellow vacationers. I pray for a biblical plague of manowars to descend on the beach. And Zika-infected mosquitoes, that they may not reproduce.

Anyway, that's my rant for the day. I'm going back to fly planes in the frigid cold now and I'm thrilled about it.

Fort Lauderdale beach is plagued with Québécois. Always has been, always will be.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jealous Cow posted:

Edit: could also never get a plane with less that full tanks because they obsessively filled them between every flight.

This is SUPER common down here, because of (legitimate, but waaaay-overstated) fears of condensation inside the tanks causing water entrapment and corrosion.

It's fine for a flight school, it sucks rear end at a flying club where you sometimes actually want to use all four seats and do something other than drill holes in the sky.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A coworker of mine used to tow banners. It's an even more itinerant lifestyle than the airlines, and is some of the most dangerous flying out there that isn't fire-fighting or crop-dusting.

He's crashed three super cubs. Two ground loops in waaaaaay more than demonstrated crosswind conditions and the last one was a maintenance failure that almost killed him; He never flew a banner plane again.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I've never flown an airplane with an airspeed indicator in knots.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Watching an 800ft <100kt 1200 code get bounced by an F-22 isn't fun for anyone involved.

Read your NOTAMS, guys.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Uh oh.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I just didn't know we had any fledgling mechanics in this thread.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Pryor on Fire posted:

Laws are for poor people, not for private pilots.

All the private pilots I know are poor BECAUSE they're pilots.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

JacksLibido posted:

People say this all the time, but I find it hard to believe that if the airlines weren't paying so much pilots would still be getting out. From what I'm seeing in the Ops sqs, the only dudes getting out in droves are the dudes who have really high paying jobs (pilots), while all the CSOs are staying in forever.

Start following the Air Force thread in GiP (or any of the branch threads, for that matter,) for a good dose of the extra-special dumb that the USAF makes their people deal with.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KodiakRS posted:

Just an FYI: If you hit a goose with the cockpit at 200 knots check your switches. Apparently the impact can be hard enough to pop switchlights out of the overhead panel. On a related note does anyone know where to buy some clean underwear in OMA?

:stonk:

gently caress geese.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I know of at least one instance where a controller flashed his FAA ID, insinuated (but never outright stated) that he was an inspector, and snagged a jumpseat.

He almost got fired. (He should have gotten fired.)

This was pre-2001, though.

Post 2001, I've walked through TSA checkpoints (not pax checkpoints, but airport employee checks) with a rifle case with absolutely no questions asked. I put nothing past TSA incompetence.

:shrug:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Don't get too attached to it. Airways has a raging, throbbing hard-on for NDB/VOR/VORTAC shutdowns. They're hilariously expensive to maintain, in relation to how many aircraft are still using them. I think we're scheduled to lose four or five major radio navaids just in the southern half of Florida in the next year or two.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

e.pilot posted:

Oh hey I passed my upgrade check ride for 135 slave labor. No more being an O2 thief in the right seat of a PC12. :toot:

Do PC-12s have comfy crew seats? Massagers? All the PC-12 drivers I talk to are chill as gently caress. Piaggio guys, too. King Air guys tend to have real bad get-there-faster-itis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Yesterday was a lovely day, I guess. An MU-2 inbound to KTIX from TJBQ went NORDO and disappeared from radar. SAR hasn't found anything yet.

:(

• Locked thread