Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Pitch, power, airspeed, and glide slope. All of them are related and it is impossible to adjust one without adjusting at least 2 of the others. Once you understand, and can apply, the relationship between these things, landing becomes so much easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

The comments in a Facebook post I read today mentioned that pilots from one regional are allegedly deliberately stepping on the clearance calls from pilots of another regional they're currently pissed at for understandable reasons.

If ATC catches on to something like that, is there any course of action they can take to tell pilots "cut that poo poo out"?

If Envoy is that first airline I haven't heard anyone saying anything about it. We're all pissed off at a couple of other regional airlines and I've heard plenty of talk about denying their pilots jump seats, and there's even a "black list" consisting of both their current seniority lists floating around, but I haven't heard anyone claim to be blocking their clearances. On a related note, although most of us are righteously pissed off we're not looking for revenge. Most of the talk you hear about jump seats, blacklists, and scabs comes from a handful of guys who like to bloviate and be internet bad asses.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

When I was an incoming freshman at college I met two of the guys who ran the flight program during new student orientation. Literally days after meeting them they both died in a plane crash.

Obviously the loss of two expert aviators stunned the local flying community. As a brand new student pilot I didn't really know what to think, but it was certainly an eye opener to the risks of aviation. I chose to continue with my training and eventually accepted the fact that like everything in life aviation has risks. There are ways to mitigate those risks but they can't be totally eliminated.

A few years later another tragedy struck our community, this time a few students died in a car accident. While it was certainly a tragedy, and not a trivial event, it had nowhere as much impact on me as the flying deaths a few years prior.

Looking back on it now I think that the tight knit nature of the aviation community, and out passion for flying, tends to amplify the feelings that occur whenever an aviation tragedy occurs. This is a thing that is a huge part of our lives and defines what we are so we feel almost betrayed when some dies in a flying as opposed to something like a car accident. A few posts ago a guy posted about actor cycle racing death and I think his reaction is similar to what you're feeling for the same reasons.

My advice to you would be to give it some time and when you feel ready start flying again. Learn from the accident, and Althea near misses you've had, and apply what you learned to your flying. Eventually the things that attracted you to flying will overcome your fears and doubts.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

I'm flying into and out of MAF a few times tomorrow and Monday. Small world indeed.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

In one of aviation's most important yet grimmest traditions it's once again time to learn from those who have "flown west".

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

azflyboy posted:

This means that at least once per trip (generally once a day), several of the captains feel the need to rant how "Scabwest took our jets!"

We're getting a lot of this right now as our 700s are going to PSA. I've noticed a couple of airplane have been "graffitied" in the cockpit with sayings about psa that are less than complimentary.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Tide posted:

On Monday, his teacher said the only thing he talked about all day long was "My dad took me flying" to anyone that would listen :3:

Be careful, you may be creating a monster that you can't control. Next thing you know he'll be talking about lessons, then an instrument rating, then looking for jobs, and next thing you know you have a full blown professional pilot on your hands. Aviation is like a $100/hour narcotic and it only takes a little taste to become hopelessly addicted.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

eriktown posted:

I have to ask:

Company house boat?

You mean your flight school doesn't have a company houseboat that you can land your helicopter on?

P.S. Does John Johnson still keep track of how many times he uses the word "hence" whenever he's teaching?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Even for IFR training fs2004 is pretty limited. It's ok for things like practicing hold entries and setting up/briefing approaches but for the actual flying it leaves a lot to be desired. It's pretty telling that with ~2000 hours in my current airplane I can barley fly the FSX version.

As far as learning to talk on the radio experience is the best teacher. Live ATC is a great help but nothing really beats going out and annoying real controllers. Don't feel bad about annoying them though, they're used to dealing with new pilots and they're there to help you, not the other way around.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Captain Apollo posted:

Have fun being an apprentice for 3 years, though.

Probably no worse than being a first officer on reserve at a 121 carrier for a few years or training at a new facility as a controller. Being new in any career field aviation sucks.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

ORD TAF posted:

FM312100 36026G39KT P6SM SCT035

Well at least we have that fancy new runway layout to help minimize the delays!

Or, you know, not.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Rolo posted:

If you don't learn to simply study the answers you're gonna have a blast when you take the ATP.

Didn't they drastically change the ATP a few months ago? Is it still all about rote memorization?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

This has probably been asked before but....Do you guys always leave the Hud down in cruise? Seems like it would be a pain in the rear end to have it floating in front of your face all the time. Every time I've seen someone use one from a jump seat they don't deploy it until they're descending through 10,000'

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

MrChips posted:

Sky Regional Q400 just crashed at the Edmonton airport...injuries reported and and the aircraft is substantially damaged.

E: Air Canada 8481, Calgary to Grande Prairie; flight diverted to Edmonton. Three passengers transported to hospital with minor injuries.

Right gear folded, kind of hard to tell why from this picture though.

One of the prop blades came off with enough energy to make it into the cabin. I thought they were designed NOT to fly into the cabin in the even of a prop strike?

Apparently the passenger in this seat was the worst of the injuries and sustained only "bumps to the head."

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Is it confirmed that Air Wisconsin is going to let their AAG contract expire without renewing it?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Things that happened on last nights flight:

-Aircraft down for MX
-Aircraft listed at wrong gate
-Aircraft required security inspection prior to boarding that no one had bothered to sign off
-Aircraft had to be de-fueled by 7,000 LBS
-1+ hour wait for de-ice
-Manual Weight and balance requiring a load manifest that ramp had forgotten to do
-Multiple 30 minute waits for ramp personnel at various points during boarding/deiceing/push
-When we finally got ready to push, our path was blocked by an aircraft parking at the next gate that couldn't park because they were waiting on our push crew.
-We were being junior manned into an extra overnight (where it's 5 degrees F)
-Pax boarded airplane 2.5 hours prior to push on a flight scheduled for 45 minutes were understandably upset.

And the icing on the cake:

-FAA inspector in the jump seat watching the whole thing. (Our careers are still intact)

"I have never seen an operation fall apart this completely" -FAA inspector.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Animal posted:

I don't even know how to do a weight and balance in a CRJ. You guys don't use ACARS?

We have an electronic W&B system that normally sends us a closeout over ACARS. The night of the fuckup our airplane was in the hanger having something fixed with the landing gear. After the mechanics signed off the airplane in the computer, but before the taxied it from the hanger to the gate it was assigned to our flight number in the computer. When the mechanics closed the door and released the parking brake ACARS sent an out time which the computer interpreted as our flight blocking out. At that point the W&B system locks out certain aspects of the closeout (Pax count) so when the airplane arrived at the gate the electronic W&B was effectively useless.

Since the system W&B gets it's data from* is literally a 50+ year old computer program it's prone to failure, which is why we have the capability to do a manual W&

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 6, 2014

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

A single 3 hour delay is not worthy of fatigue. After 4x 10-12 hour days filled with this sort of thing is a different story.

For what it's worth, most of the former military pilots that I know who have transitioned into part 121 civilian operations say that fatigue is MUCH more prevalent on the civilian side. We average about 80 flight hours per month and hit the 100 hour monthly cap a few times a year which is apparently a lot more than the military guys.

Butt Reactor posted:

Got an interview for PSA coming up in a couple weeks :dance:

I've spent a good portion of the last 20 minutes trying to figure out how I wanted to respond to this. All I'll say is make drat sure you do your research before you show up for a class at PSA (Or any airline for that matter).

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Edited from :words: to: do your homework

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 6, 2014

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Don't know at other airlines, I think the AA/US/AWE thing is mostly because PSA are the ones who caved giving management the idea of going after scope again in their current negotiations. If they hadn't then AA may not have pushed as hard on that. One thing to keep in mind is that there are a LOT of envoy guys going to AA through their flow through program and they're really REALLY pissed off at PSA and Peidmont at the moment so they may be spreading the sentiment over there.

CBJSprague24 posted:

So PSA and Piedmont pilots approved contracts which include flowthroughs which AA and US may not adhere to in the end because the review boards are pissed off at the pilots?

I can't remember if PSA has a direct flow program or an interview program. If it's a direct flow and the company is actually following it then there won't be a captain review board.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

The best career advice I wish I had listened to:

Find the thing that you are most passionate about in your life, then find the thing you are second most passionate about. Make the second one your career, the first one your hobby.

And on the subject of riddle: I went there for 4 years (AZ campus) and got a BS in Aeronautical Science. Other than the lack of females I actually had a really good time there. It's a good training program and a GREAT way to make connections in the industry which is probably the most important aspect in getting a flying job. Unfortunately the cost is astronomical for what you make as an airline pilot, and a degree in aviation is pretty much worthless outside of the industry. My recommendation would be to go to a traditional college and get a degree in something useful outside of aviation while doing your flight training on the side. Also, Riddle tries to promote itself as the "Harvard of the skies" which is a load of bull, the pilot cert you graduate with is exactly the same as the one you would get from a small part 61 school. Riddle graduates some lovely pilots, and some amazing pilots, just like every other flight school out there.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Butt Reactor posted:

One down, two to go :woop: conditional offer with ZW with a January 19th class, just gotta get enough time to meet mins.

Congrats. Good luck on the next two. How far from the minimums are you?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

For what it's worth AAG is still looking for companies to fly some more 175's. AWAC is a prime candidate for the next round of airplanes if talks at Envoy break down again. There's an envoy MEC meeting with the company occurring literally as I type this so we should know more on the next 48 hours.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

So I guess Delta will go find some 727s to run those routes or something?

717s and they already found 'em at AirTran. I think it's the start of a trend we'll see more and more of over the next few years. I hope...

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Envoy got a TA last night. The general consensus is that the company wants the vote to close before the end of the month

Prediction: it'll pass with ~60-70% voting yes

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 8, 2014

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

I'll probably end up voting yes on it. I voted no on the first TA but I'm not going to fall on my sword again. It really gets my blood boiling though. We were sooooo close to finally making some meaningful changes that would have a positive affect on all regional and mainline pilots.

I hope I get some work gloves for Christmas, I don't want to get any blisters from working the whipsaw.

Edit: This will be my last bitter shitpost for a while, sorry for stinking up the tread for the past few weeks. Good luck to those of you with interviews soon.

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 8, 2014

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

The Slaughter posted:

Honestly envoy is dead TA or no TA.
They are not going to be able to staff with that crap sandwich TA.
So you either lose airplanes from not being able to staff them, or lose them because of no TA.

Yep. Envoy already has 80+ airplanes that are scheduled to be transferred to other carriers over the next 24 months. This TA will offset less than half of those losses. The loss of aircraft will probably match the pilot attrition rate.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

e.pilot posted:

Excitedly nervous.

Good luck, if you get too stressed out don't forget to poop. Seriously, pooping pre check ride is probably the best way to overcome the pre ride jitters that I know of.

Also, try not to crash.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Butt Reactor posted:

Did the Skywest interview, got a job offer a few days ago :toot:

Now I'm stuck deciding between two of the lesser lovely regionals, awesome. I'm trying to find pros and cons of each before making a final decision in a week or so.

I've found that when making career decisions regarding airlines the best bet is to ask the most reliable source in the industry.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Envoy TA has passed. :toot:

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

Congratulations are in order (I hope)? What are the terms of this one? Did I hear E175s?

Guarantee of 40 175s. Sounds good until you consider that we're losing 46 CRJs and another 40+ 145s over the next 24 months.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

vessbot posted:

New Year's Eve in a hotel room studying flows #pilotlife:toot:

e: posting about studying flows #goonlife

Doing CBT for recurrent ground school on an overnight. Nothing rings in the new year quite like hour after hour of microsoft sam narrating power point presentations. :negative:

Also, my schedule has 2 flights tomorrow both less than 1 hour separated by a 7 hour sit. Yaaaaaay scheduling efficiency.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Butt Reactor posted:

Started ground school today and I'm already :stonklol: at the amount of stuff we cover in the next 6 weeks

To emphasize what ausgezeichnet said:

-Start memorizing limitations and memory items early. If you do a few minutes per day, every day, for the duration of your ground school it'll lessen the load a lot.
-Be specific with your numbers, callouts, and ver bage. Example: Do you need anti-ice when it's 10 degrees TAT or do you need it when it's BELOW 10 degrees TAT?
-Know your flows BEFORE you get into the sim
-"chair fly" everything you are going to do that day once you get to the sim. ESPECIALLY things like go arounds and v1 cuts.

For systems I've found that just looking at the overhead panel helps greatly to guide your system studying. If you can look at a switch and explain what it does when pushed in, what it does when pushed out, what are any limitations associated with it, what memory items/checklists are associated with it, and what will cause any of the lights in the switch to come on.

Oh and if you end up on the CRJ remember to apologize to the ATC guys in here whenever you fly a 100/200.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Butt Reactor posted:

What's a good recommend on shoes? I don't think these will quite work but they've been so drat comfortable the past couple years I've worn them. At least I bought the cap and blazer and SKW is giving us a couple shirts/pants! :tipshat:

I don't know how picky SKW is about their uniform compliance but we can get away with any black leather shoe that isn't a tennis shoe. Like someone else mentioned just do a Google search for TSA compliant dress shoes and you'll find a wide range of options.

Butt Reactor posted:

dammit, I was already scoping out the new-hire FA class to see which one would become my future (ex)wife :laugh:

Dating a FA, or another pilot, isn't actually a terrible idea as long as you and the other person understand the pitfalls and potential consequences of your actions. Having said that I would highly recommend NOT getting involved with another employee while either of you are on probation.

Butt Reactor posted:

Hey we fly 7s and 9s too :mad: Aren't you an RJ driver too? any pitfalls to watch for on the barbie jet?

Yep. If we get any more RJ drivers in here we're going to have to start our own thread. The 200 is kind of a dog performance wise, especially above FL300. The 700/900 is a fairly major redesign that drastically improves performance. The biggest pitfalls on the barbie jet are probably learning to slow down and learning to use the automation (autopilot). Most people transitioning from props don't realize just how effective that huge spinning disk is at slowing them down. When you're in a jet you lose that and it becomes very difficult to slow down. The CRJ is especially tricky because you can't put out flaps to add drag until 230 knots. If you're on an ILS glide slope at 250 knots it'll take you 5NM to slow from 250 to 230 even if you use spoilers. The other thing that most people have problems with is the automation, especially the auto pilot. You need to be able to know exactly what a given autopilot mode will do and you need to incorporate the FMA into your scan so that the airplane doesn't start doing something you don't want it to do. Even with 2000+ hours on the airplane I almost busted a check ride yesterday because I selected APPR instead of NAV and failed to notice the armed GS mode on the right side of the FMA.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Rubies posted:

I asked this in the stupid/small q's thread but didn't get a reply... maybe yous guys know?

Could an Airbus A320 plane land at Santa Barbara's airport? They have the runway lengths etc on the wiki but I don't know how to read the stuff about requirements on the 320. I want JetBlue to go there but I think the planes are too big :(

I've flown a CRJ 700* in there and really wouldn't want to try it in anything bigger than that. I know JetBlue flies Embraer 190's which *might* be able to get into SBA but they probably wouldn't be able to take off with more than a handful of passengers.

*The CRJ 700 is about half the size of the smallest Airbus.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

MrChips posted:

Like all things, that depends on a lot of factors and indeed the aircraft itself. For a lot of aircraft, yes you will use less fuel on the takeoff roll itself, but if you continue on a derated climb schedule you will burn more fuel by top-of-climb than if you just used a standard climb power setting. That said, the savings in maintenance in this case can more than offset the increase in total fuel burn, because it usually isn't a huge difference.

According to a check airman I know, the nerds engineers at GE say a single normal thrust takeoff puts about as much wear and tear on the engine as ~40 reduced thrust takeoffs. The fuel savings are fairly minor as we're normally in T.O. thrust for 2 minutes per flight and it's only a few percentage points of FF reduction.

Captain Apollo posted:

We rotated at the piano keys.

We did everything right.

I think you may want to take a second to ponder the mutual exclusivity of those statements.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

I just had to post something about the 3 hour delay. It's now more like a 14 hour delay.

Just a guess but: I'd say they're waiting on a replacement for whatever part was struck by lightning. A lightning strike will usually leave a hole or remove part of whatever it hits. Usually it's a wingtip or nose cone or some part that can be replaced quickly but they may be waiting for the part to come in on the next flight from the U.S.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

PSA is getting 24 more CR9s. Apparently, this will delay at least part of the CR7 transfer from Envoy.

No word on our side about the delay in the CR7 transfers. I'd like to believe it's real but who knows at this point.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

One of the localizers at DTW is named I-EPA because the EPA blocked it's installation for months. May or may not just be an urban legend.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I think he means "don't do it on the job." Which is a good lesson for pilots to learn from controllers.

:vince:

(in all honesty please do not show up to work under the influence of alchahol. If you're at a point in your life where you're concerned that it may happen please check out the HIMS program. I know a few people who are in it and they all say they're better for it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

kmcormick9 posted:

Can any of the pilots find it?

We can find it at my airline...

...but as you can see we tend to pull out a little late and still come early.

• Locked thread