Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Tide posted:

It could be argued that "I think I'll be/become a pilot" was the lynch pin that started it all

Aviation Megathread | "Becoming a pilot was a terrible decision"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

A good landing has a point of touchdown, a bad landing has a point of impact.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

American Airlines is now on their third cycle of saying the're going to retire the MD-80 then changing the mind once fuel prices go down. It makes me feel old, I'm about the same age as most of the mad dogs and people are starting to call them ancient. :corsair:

Jealous Cow posted:

I disagree. I think UA232 was an excellent landing and it most certainly had a point of impact.

UA232 didn't land, it crashed. Sure it was a miraculous crash, and a legendary display of airmanship, but when you end up tumbling end over end down the runway in a ball of flame that killed over 100 people it's time to stop using the phrase "landing."

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Dick

I wonder what will happen when CNN gets ahold of this? (they story, not the dick)

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

German a320 down in the alps, no survivors.

CNN is already blaming the crash on weather because a mountain guide saw a cloud around the time the airplane crashed.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

Unfortunately, unless the a history of association with Marxist parties becomes acceptable. I don't think I am electable.

Might be possible in Washington State. Hell with all the sun deprived hipsters up there you'd blend right in and no one would even notice that you were a zombie.

Also Air Canada slid an a320 off a runway in Halifax today. Looks similar to the delta incident in LGA but the airplane is a lot more banged up. Friendly reminder: snow and ice are slippery.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

While I'm at it, how do the pilots here feel about the mandatory retirement age? It seems from a layman's perspective a little weird in 2015.

The rule itself? It depends on your age. If you're young it guarantees people senior to you will retire, if you're older and aren't on track for retirement it may gently caress you.

The recent changes? It gently caress all of us. No lube.

Dalrain posted:

Man, that 1500 hour rule just feels like a wall you'll never be able to climb. I got my PPL, but it felt like every hour of flight time I earned just took so much sacrifice. I'm not sure I even hit 100 due to financial restrictions, 1000 seems nearly impossible.

Consider yourself lucky, for most of the last 30 years 1500 hours wasn't even close to competitive hiring minimums at a regional.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

There's an air carrier at the end of the L concourse in ORD that I'm assuming operates under 121 or 135 that flies caravans. I have some time to kill there tomorrow, I may walk down there and see if I can ask one of their pilots.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

helno posted:

Many Experimentals have instrument panels that would make a regional airline pilot jealous.

Yeah, but do they have a coffee maker and a lav? 'cause I've flown airplanes with avionics ranging from spartan to overkill and they all pale in comparison to a cup of joe and a place to put it.

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

Ospreys are the tightest poo poo, I live next to quantico and love seeing them doing extremely low passes over my house. Sometimes it looks like I can jump and give the pilot a hi-five.

What's the safety record on those things like these days? I remember they used to have a propensity for crashing but I don't know if that's stopped now that they've been in service for a while.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Rolo posted:

My first trip in a jet right seat was to bring some folks into KPHX the day before the super bowl.

It was basically this.

I remember the NOTAM for that day. It was basically:

-If you're VFR you're not getting into the class B.
-If you're IFR expect massive departure delays
-If you depart VFR then try to pick up IFR in the air you're going to get denied and then the controller is going to laugh at you.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

KCOU 090722Z AUTO 06004KT 1/4SM FG VV003 16/16 A3003 RMK AO2 T01560156
KCOU 090705Z AUTO 06004KT 3/4SM BR OVC003 16/16 A3003 RMK AO2 T01610156
KCOU 090654Z AUTO 08003KT 1/4SM FG VV003 16/16 A3003 RMK AO2 SLP165 T01610161
KCOU 090644Z AUTO 14003KT 1/4SM FG VV003 15/15 A3004 RMK AO2 T01500150
KCOU 090623Z AUTO 14003KT 1/4SM FG VV001 15/15 A3003 RMK AO2 T01500150
KCOU 090611Z AUTO 07003KT 1/4SM FG VV002 17/16 A3003 RMK AO2 T01670161

So that was a rather entertaining approach to shoot at 2 in the morning.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

AWSEFT posted:

Hopefully you were part 91 unless you shot it during this report. Since it requires 1/2SM.

Yup. Sort of. According to the METAR it was 1/4 at the time we shot the approach but both the AWOS and an actual person at the FSS located on the field were calling it 3/4 mile. Of course since we can't pull up a METAR in flight we had no way of knowing that it may have actually been lower than 3/4 mile. Not exactly the kind of thing that gives you a warm fuzzy feeling.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Butt Reactor posted:

No ACARS or anything similar? :raise:

ACARS was giving identical information to the AWOS, at least as far as visibility is concerned. Everything we had, ACARS, AWOS, FSS, were giving identical information. Not sure why the METAR on aviationweather.gov is slightly different.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Meanwhile, in crazy town:

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 13, 2015

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

KodiakRS posted:

What's the safety record on those things like these days? I remember they used to have a propensity for crashing but I don't know if that's stopped now that they've been in service for a while.

Well, poo poo: http://www.kitv.com/news/aircraft-crash-reported-at-bellows-air-force-station/33072686

Butt Reactor posted:

also, I'm ORD-based for the next several months so we should grab a beer sometime and bitch about work.

I'd love to. My line this month is mostly non commutable and has 11 days off with 76 hours of credit. I need someone to bitch about work with.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

The ask at the gate to reduce the likelihood of having to change someone seat once their already on the airplane. Boarding is not normally the smoothest of processes and making someone randomly change their seat will inevitably turn into a flow blown clusterfuck. Doubly so if they don't speak English . I think they still have to ask on the aircraft though.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

How about they take a page from this thread and use haiku?

Fasten your seatbelt
If the mask drops, put it on
If we crash, get out

Your bag is too big
You'll need to have it checked
please stop freaking out

Phone in airplane mode?
I saw you only locked the screen
Stop being an rear end

Can you read English?
Can you understand English?
Get out of that seat

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

e.pilot posted:

85% on my CPL written. :toot:

You over achieved by %5. Congratulations.

The Slaughter posted:

Haha, that will be me soon. And yeah people always think I'm 16. I'm actually 29 (edit: 30 in july).

As a 28 year old "babyface" I feel your pain. I'm always getting asked "Aren't you a little young to be an airline pilot?" I'm becoming more and more flippant with my answers as time goes on. According to my chief pilot "Aren't you a little old to not be in a wheelchair?" is not an appropriate thing to say to a customer.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

$12,000 is more or less in the ballpark for getting your PPL in the LA area. You could probably get it done cheaper elsewhere, but there are a few issues that were already mentioned. The first, as mentioned earlier, is that you would probably need a few hours of extra time to get used to your local LA airport which I would *highly* recommend doing with an instructor. The second is that the whole "grind out a rating in a few weeks." Things can easily be derailed by things like weather, scheduling issues, aircraft maintenance, student performance, or even your CFI getting another job mid training.

My recommendation would be to stick with the airport you're going to be flying out of once you have your license. Unless you're interested in flying as a career in which case I'd recommend getting an MBA or going to law school.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

If you need a complex endorsement the mooney or the bonanza would qualify for that but not the 182.* If you don't need the complex endorsement I'd just stick with the 182. Sure the other two are a little bit faster and more efficient but the 182 is an all around kick rear end tank of an airplane.

*There is such thing as a 182RG but as my CFI said "The RG is true to its name, the gear will retract when you ask it to. Getting it to extend again is an entirely different matter."

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Don't blame the kids. You probably didn't do a barrel roll, light the burners, eject, or do anything interesting.

Yeah, Rolo you square. When I was 12 I went on an airplane ride and we totally did a barrel roll. It was awesome, why can't you be that awesome?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Animal posted:

FWIW its a great airline to fly standby as a flight crew. Their online syatem for checking loads is actually much better than any other carriers, and they are nice to flight crews.

Was just about to posts this. You usually get the exit row due to the fact they charge extra for it and the overhead bins always have plea fly of space. Also their crews are usually new and not those crusty 20 year airline vets who are constantly pissed off that you tend to run into at most other airlines.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

The Slaughter posted:

Is there a section in the QRH for that?

Aim for something that looks soft. Unlike that van driver did.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

My first solo landing was great. My second solo landing was pretty bad. My third one was even worse, although that's probably because it happened about 2.5 seconds after my second.

Edit: PS, if you think you were nervous the first time you soloed wait until you're a CFI and you have your first student go solo. Probably the most nerve wracking 15 minutes of your life.

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jun 15, 2015

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Aviation Megathread | "Pilots don't screw flight attendants, they screw each other"

Captain Apollo posted:

I just bought an airplane.

Good luck, and may god have mercy on your soul. In all seriousness please post about how this goes. It's something i'd like to do some day.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

The Slaughter posted:

Oh poo poo, my appendix! What now?

If you have a union they should have a medical rep if some sort. Call your LEC rep if you don't know who that is.

If non-Union call AOPA.

Either way you'll end up talking to someone who actually knows what the gently caress.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Anyone know what's up with SKW restricting all their CRJ's to FL350? Did they have a rash of high altitude low speed incidents?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

quote:

My pilot certificate was suspended for 30 days. I had filed a timely NASA Aviation Safety Reporting System (ASRS) report. Yet the FAA’s attorney insisted the agency would not communicate its reasons for rejecting the waiver of penalty afforded by the ASRS program.

This right here is a steaming pile of %100 pure bullshit. Sure, this guy hosed up but not willfully, and not criminally. Yet they denied his ASRS form? The whole point of the program is to get people to open up about things that we would otherwise not know about, and they're not going to open up about them if the FAA is just going to ignore the system (because :reasons:) and hit the guy with a cert suspension anyway.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

The Slaughter posted:

The ASRS would be more appropriate for accidentally busting an airspace

TFR's are a type of airspace. This guy busted a TFR. Accidentally. I think the ASRS is totally appropriate here.

hobbesmaster posted:

ASRS isn't going to count after you've been "pulled over." If you can get immunity to the violation after you've already been caught then there is literally no way for anything to be enforced.

ASRS very much counts after you've been "pulled over." Whether or not that comes in the form of the dreaded "Possible pilot deviation" call or being intercepted by an F-16. You can only use it once every 5 years and it doesn't cover aircraft accidents so if you have a big fuckup or are consistently getting busted there's plenty of room for enforcement actions.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

To whom else should it be reported?

The police: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymFhtmPxu-k

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

What Apollo said. The word "Maintain" means exactly that, and supersedes any thing written on the chart.

Going into DFW it's actually pretty common to get something along the lines of "descend via the BOOVE1 arrival except maintain 11 thousand."

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Delta pilots just rejected a TA 65/35. In included an %8 pay raise but came along with cuts to profit sharing, work rules, and sick time. Going to be interesting to see where it goes from here.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

RAH airlines stock dropped like a Q400 in Buffalo yesterday. They're blaming operational issues due to the pilot shortage and specifically the post 3407 rules. Apparently they're having problems adapting to laws that have been on the books for 5 years now. Hopefully this is the start of the pilot shortage starting to hit the good old boys club in their wallets so they'll finally start working on real solutions. I'm not holding my breath though.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

I've always wondered if there was a market for a ~200HP turbo prop engine. I know they make them for R/C airplanes but I have no idea if they would be a feasible replacement for something like an o-360.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

AWSEFT posted:

The E135-145 suck worse than a -200.

The 145 is a bad turboprop conversion. The -200 is a bad bizjet conversion. I've heard plenty of arguments about which one sucks less/more.

Captain Apollo posted:

But anyway Mooney's are better and probably a much better deal financially right now. A C model goes for NOTHING and is fastened better in every single way.

I will admit that I don't know much anything about the finances of owning a small aircraft but I thought most of the cost was in upkeep/fuel/insurance and not actual aircraft acquisition. Isn't a high-ish performance retract going to cost a lot more than a Cherokee in all those areas?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Insert generic "living the dream" joke here.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

I fly with a full sized iPad and enjoy the larger screen size, especially for viewing larger airport diagrams and cluttered charts without having to zoom in to read details like frequencies and altitudes. I'm on the CRJ (literally as I'm typing this) which isn't exactly Boeing sized but is certainly roomier than a Cessna or Piper. Having said that, the iPad is still a little awkward due to its bulk although most of that bulk comes from the ridiculous double suction cup mount that we're required to use. If you can find a way to mount it where it's not too awkward I'd recommend the full sized one.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

My favorite "tornado vs airport" pictures are from the Christmas Day tornado that hit embry riddle a few years ago:

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

The Ferret King posted:

When American Eagle/Whatever They Call Themselves This Flight fly in on the E135a or E145s, they never, ever, EVER use reverse thrust on landing.

I see other carriers use reverse thrust in the E135/145 jets. Maybe it's just company specific policy to replace more brake pads.

This is a company policy. They can use reversers if they need to but it's SOP to not use them if you can get away with using only the wheel brakes. I'm not exactly sure why they do it this way but my guess is some accountant somewhere figured out that it saves them X cents per landing. It's full reverse every time on Envoy* CRJ's though.

*The name is technically Envoy but flies under the brand American Eagle. A lot of envoy pilots still refer to themselves as American Eagle pilots in the same way that there are still AA pilots who say they fly for TWA.

Rolo posted:

Oh my god I can start paying my debt off.
Congratulations, both on the job and coming up with what should be the next thread title.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

I think the whole "burn itself off the pylon" thing is a requirement for all part 25 certified aircraft but I'm not 100% sure.

Hopefully this applies to airline CEOs as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Captain Apollo posted:

If it's a Lycoming I just wouldn't worry about it. NOBODY I have ever met or flown with ever leans too much.

Can confirm this, with pictures of what happens when you don't lean a lycoming enough:

Hey, that pushrod looks like it's bent.
Yeah, it's bent. I wonder if the valve is stuck?
Yeah, It's stuck
Something isn't quite right with that valve guid.

Culprit was determined to be chronic excessively rich mixture leading to carbon buildup on the exhaust valve or it's seat. Eventually the piston slapped the valve which drove it back into the push rod which bent under the force and started trying to push the entire valve guide into the cylinder. In a testament to the durability of the mighty O-360 the engine continued to run on 3 cylinders for the ~5 or so minutes it took to land the airplane.

A few years later the same pilot was flying another O-360 powered 172 when some metal shavings dislodged and partially blocked the injector lines. He limped that one to a runway too.

• Locked thread