Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I couldn't find it, so sorry in advance for newbie questions.

Being a pilot has easily been my dream since childhood. I gave up on it at one point as being unrealistic, but after kicking around in retail for 4 years I've decided that if I'm gonna have poo poo pay and poo poo hours I might as well be doing something awesome like flying an airplane.

I'm doing as much research as I can, but I was curious what goon's opinions were about career paths for getting into aviation. Should I start grinding my way up, license by license, or is there some program I should be looking for? Should I start saving my pennies for the next few years for flight lessons or can you get some sort of student loan?

Sorry if these are common questions, but there seems to be so much to take in that every bit of guidance is appreciated, and I'm paranoid about taking some wrong move which seems great at the moment but fucks me later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

MrYenko posted:

How old are you?

Freshwater Louie posted:

Get your private license. Understand that you would have a much better quality of life and income in almost any other profession. If for some weird reason you still think you will die if you don't pursue flying as a career then go ahead and get your commercial license and other endorsements.

Time to start saving then. This time next year, I should have enough to start working on my private license in earnest. Maybe earlier, if I get antsy.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Huh. No diploma, unfortunately, but 15 credits isn't much. Thanks for the suggestion. I can take some meteorology courses and other related stuff as well, in case this doesn't pan out.

• Locked thread