Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

e.pilot posted:

Successfully avoided having a deal last night.

Most exciting 0.4 ever.

awesome work !

also - hi guys; new to the thread. carry on as you were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

simble posted:

I'm going to be that guy. Lurk more please.

my apologies; am i not experienced enough to congratulate a guy for successfully not dying / wrecking an aircraft?

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

Fair point. Chalk that one up as a poo poo post then. Was more me trying to say hi and not presume to introduce information about me that no one would care about like it mattered.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

Rickety Cricket posted:

A couple decent shows available on YouTube are "Worst Place to be a Pilot" about young British expats in Indonesia timebuilding for the majors, and "Bush Pilots" about young British expats in Botswana timebuilding for the majors.

mates flying in indonesia said "worst place to be a pilot" rings quite true.

congrats tide - where did you fly? anything noteworthy / stressful or went all to plan?

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

Tide posted:

BFM (Mobile) to PNS (Pensacola) to MVC (Monroeville) back to BFM.

A little windy! Some crosswinds in Monroeville made for a less than smooth landing but I may be overreacting. Went by faster than I expected. But it's always a little windy down here. A little nervous in PNS. Mouth a little dry and probably spoke a too fast on the radios. Lots of traffic. PNS ATC was great though. Guy was patient and encouraging.

awesome stuff! just had a look on google maps, looks like the 95 highway on the way up to MVC and 65 Highway on the way back to BFM would have been good visual aids for navigation

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

Kawachi posted:

Photos of Australia being awesome

What is that in the water at King Sound? just currents in a circle or a reef of some sort? I can't get my head around the scale of it at all.

Photo's look amazing - a good 10 years since i travelled up that way - makes me want to go back!

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

Spaced God posted:

I've been scouring my FAR and Google for the answer to this but with no luck, so maybe y'all can help.
If I'm doing ground operations at an uncontrolled airfield (no tower, unicoms, etc), is there any special license required to talk to taxiing aircraft on an unused freq to coordinate? IE your radio license or whatever.

I'm in Australia so take the below with a grain of salt - I was just interested to see how different requirements are.

http://wireless.fcc.gov/commoperators/index.htm?job=rr of use at all? FCC and FAA being separate means it won't be in FAR

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

DNova posted:

You do not need that permit for (US) domestic airband usage.

edit: it's right on the page you linked:

NOT needed for
Aircraft stations which operate only on VHF frequencies and do not make foreign flights.
Aircraft radar sets, radio altimeters, transponders or other aircraft automatic radionavigation transmitters.

Yup - had a bit of a further look around that site at various radio licenses and all make that same statement about no need for VHF domestic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

Tony Montana posted:

Any Australians in here? Anyone that's got some insight into aviation in Oz?

I got my CPL and MECIR and did ATPL exams in Australia but never went into the industry. Not sure how useful I'll be but ask away.

• Locked thread