Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Compass hired me and said call when I'm a month out from 1500 hrs for a class date. Anybody know any good aircraft I could rent dry on the cheap?
Pretty happy to get it as it was my first choice. 4 of us took the tests, 2 went home. Tough stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I really hope that's the wet rate

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I'll probably get bypassed a ton til I get the 1000 121. What happens to your seniority in that case? You still keep your seniority position right?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Stupid Post Maker posted:

Nice, how long ago was your interview? You might have been hired with one of my aerial survey coworkers. Little Mexican kid.

Negative, guy I was hired with was from NJ and white as a ghost. 4 interviewed but only two of us made it past the written tests. I think my secret to success was that the gouges online had a lot of wrong answers.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
That's a huge conclusion to jump to, though. I don't think we know that at all based on what's known so far.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Wouldn't have happened if they hadn't gotten rid of flight engineers!

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
You're such a downer. Jeez, what happened to suicide quietly by yourself and in private?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Needs props...? What about the engines hahaha. Oh florida. Jesus.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

vessbot posted:

I prostrate myself before the ghost of Charles Taylor in atonement for having the temerity to write a squawk on a Friday night... in the end I guess the reliability of my localizer indication is not that important in the face of you going home early. So sorry for sprinkling frivolous squawks like that all over the maintenance log while laughing in your face for having to stay at work to do your job while I waltz home from my plush-rear end banker's hours flying feeder freight.

Man what a jerk you are! That A&P was right!

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Kinda surprised my 2009 Lightspeed zulus appear to be only worth about $435-550 now based on Ebay. I have the QC15s and was thinking about getting a TSO'd uflymic. Although that lightspeed PFX looks nice, but I'm not sure I'll need as much noise cancelling going forward and I really want a lighter headset that takes up less room while travelling. Still, I think I only paid like $700 for the zulu so I guess if I sell it after 1500 hours for $500 that's not too bad on depreciation...
Clarity Aloft tempting as gently caress as always too.

The Slaughter fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 19, 2015

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtyfiPIHsIg

I like this one too. The song is just too drat catchy.

And one FA performs along with it live!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB1TwudcTlc

:monar:

I wonder if these preproduced videos have to be approved by the FAA or what.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Is it a far that they have to give a brief to emergency exit pax and find out if you're "willing and able" to assist with a "verbal yes"? Cause for the first time ever I was on a flight where they didn't the other day.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
No, I didn't select it with the tickets. I wasn't assigned. I can explain why it happened... I was on a Delta flight from CHS-ATL on an RJ then ATL-MKE. We landed a few min early, I had about 45 minutes to connect which meant I got to the gate about 25 min before departure (atlanta is big) as they were boarding but they told me to talk to the gate for a seat. Got the gate, they were already boarding, my coworker who I travelled with was on the screen with a seat assignment as cleared but my name wasn't on there at all.. But agent made an announcement about all standbys are cleared just come board or something to that effect. So I go up there, she can't find me at all, and says I'm not on the flight... and basically tells me "I can't deal with this right now, let me board everybody else". (in my head, I'm seeing all the carry-on space disappearing). At 10 min to departure with everybody except my coworker and I boarded, she finally goes back in the computer and can't seem to get me back on the flight I was never supposed to be taken off of... makes a phone call, 5 more min go by, and she finally has a boarding pass for me which she scans and I board... it was exit row middle... so I board and take my seat. I assume they had already briefed the exit rows and failed to notice the new passenger was in the exit row and/or didn't care. I didn't go run and call the FAA or something though, cause who cares, but that was the only time I haven't been asked.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Nice summary, thanks
Sometimes I am long winded
A good reminder

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Congrats Rickety!

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I like going IFR in busy, congested airspaces. You don't have to worry about bravo or anything, and obviously the controllers are going to make a better effort to separate you from VFR traffic although if it's VMC you still need to have eyes on a swivel.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Haha, that will be me soon. And yeah people always think I'm 16. I'm actually 29 (edit: 30 in july). Keep in mind a large number of compass pilots are from Seattle, where we don't get any sun and are thus ageless.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
It wouldn't be a terrible idea, the problem is you won't be familiar with local procedures/landmarks/bravo transition around LAX (and there is a lot of bravo and radio comms there). If I came from a backwater area and tried to fly around LAX as a newly minted private pilot, I'd probably be stressed. Also, outside of Phoenix, there are few places that you can count on actually having really nice weather for a month or whatever. $120/hr really isn't that bad for an Archer, $60 for an instructor is pretty on the steep end but considering it's LA, I understand..

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Telephoto lens distortion

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Is there a section in the QRH for that?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I personally never used a sliderule E6B, I used a sporty's "electronic E6B" pretty much until the private pilot checkride, I don't think I ever used an E6B after that again, just my cell phone E6B app at very rare times while teaching or checking a student's flight plan (which you could usually eyeball the errors really fast, anyway.) Carry lots of batteries in case the DPE gives you poo poo, but i think most of them are pretty hip now to the iPad/electronics game. It's a changing world we're in and it's important to have the fundamentals but also to be able to fly with tech.
That headset is not a very common one so I don't know anything about it. You missed one of the major brands, Lightspeed, they are pretty legendary for customer service, make really good headsets, and although they hold their resale value well, you can easily pick up a really good used Zulu 1 or Sierra with ANR for $400-450. I've used Lightspeed headsets for 1470 hours or so and they are great and beat most of the other headsets I've tried, with the exception of the Bose A20 which I would put on about the same level but it's outside of your budget. My zulus start hurting my head after about 6-7 hrs, but other headsets in the past I had it was closer to 2 hours. I may be switching to a uflymic combo soon or clarity aloft or Qt halo just for the long days of wearing em and less demand for noise cancelling. That sennheiser may be good, they're just a bit newer to the aviation headset game for GA, Lightspeed, Bose and David Clark dominate the market so it's hard to find out good or bad on the sennheisers.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
So a fun first phone call to the chief pilot was "about that ground school on Monday? I'm going in for an emergency appendectomy tonight it appears!" Recovering at home now. Anyone know what I do here re: medical? I don't need to actually fly for a month plus and appendectomy seems like it's probably a routine self-ground, declare on next medical assuming no complications but if anybody knows otherwise would appreciate the details. Oh and work was super cool, said just get better and they'll reschedule me. Sucks but Murphy's law eh?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

KodiakRS posted:

If you have a union they should have a medical rep if some sort. Call your LEC rep if you don't know who that is.

If non-Union call AOPA.

Either way you'll end up talking to someone who actually knows what the gently caress.

Yeah I don't have any info yet but should be in ALPA. A little research makes it sound as though what I thought: routine surgery, they don't care, self ground until fully recovered and then declare on next medical.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
My appendix was unexploded, fortunately. Cause I don't got a month and a half.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
That's crazy, but at least there will be more ride reports for the Horizon guys.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I can't think of a single time in 6 years of aviation all around the country that I've actually been denied flight following, even in Chicago. I've been told to standby and had to wait ~10 min but I've never not actually received flight following when persistent. The only exception to that would be areas without radar coverage (low in the MOAs west/nw of KDVT, and on the Big Island in Hawaii at ~3500 ft with the two volcanos blocking the radar both come to mind). This guy says the controller was 'slammed', when that happens I would just keep monitoring the freq and eventually if you're brisk you ought to be able to at least get in a 'approach, cessna 12345, request' and they will remember you and get to you when they can.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Depending on the specific nature of the TFR, by talking to the approach controller you may be able to land at the airport affected by the TFR even... especially if it was outer ring like this probably was.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

KodiakRS posted:

This right here is a steaming pile of %100 pure bullshit. Sure, this guy hosed up but not willfully, and not criminally. Yet they denied his ASRS form? The whole point of the program is to get people to open up about things that we would otherwise not know about, and they're not going to open up about them if the FAA is just going to ignore the system (because :reasons:) and hit the guy with a cert suspension anyway.

To be fair, there's a time and a place for an ASRS form, and "already been buzzed by F16s and violated a TFR" is not really that time. Nobody ever said you a ASRS form was a get out of jail free card for a TFR. The ASRS would be more appropriate for accidentally busting an airspace, busting an altitude or a clearance, etc.. I don't see it stopping enforcement action that's already in process because you filled out the form for 10 days confessing to something they already know about.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Very happy to hear it was rejected. That TA was a poo poo sandwich, frankly.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

kmcormick9 posted:

Health insurance is intended to be used, which is why it's so expensive. The premium is fixed. It does not go up when you use it. (Cobra?) You are literally throwing money away by having it and paying out of pocket at the doctors office.

At a prior job, I had a plan with a $3000 yearly deductible. They didn't pay anything until I spent $3000 in the year. Not one red cent. So unless I had major medical bills and got really sick, I was just paying out of pocket. After that deductible was hit though, they paid 100%.

I could have also had a plan with a $500 deductible... but the premium was like $200/mo more, and it only paid out 80%.

Mathwise, I worked out that I was better paying on my own in almost every scenario because when you add the $200 x 12 $2400 in additional premiums, the high deductible plan was cheaper.

(additionally, at said employer, due to the mechanics using our health care plan a lot they actually were running it at a loss and they did jack up the premium the next year, so although your use as an individual doesn't affect your premium, your "group" if on a group plan certainly does). But yeah, way off topic...

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Hilarious. I'll take the hat, the base I want and my 2 year upgrade over an 8 year journey of sadness and moving backwards on the list any day of the week.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Systems validation tomorrow. Feeling good. In the E175 they have a little triangle level thing by the compass that helps you set your seat to the Manufacturer-approved sight picture for Cat 2 landings. If your seat is too high/low it can affect how early the captain sees the runway on a cat 2 approach.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Perhaps the FAA should consider a notam system that isn't entirely loving outdated and a human factors nightmare waiting to happen.
"You didn't read the 34 lines of text in caps we wrote. What's wrong?" I need to see things like TFRs, runway closures, in a clear, easy readable fashion, and perhaps color coded to pop out more and not get buried below 100 notes about an unmarked light 5 miles south of the airport at 152' AGL.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
New letter from ALPA discussing their opposition to the 3rd class medical changes:

July 27, 2015

As you may know, the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) and the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) filed a petition for exemption with the FAA that would give pilots the option of conducting certain operations without having to hold an FAA medical certificate. The FAA has not yet acted on this request.

Currently, legislation is pending in the U.S. Congress that would implement the request made by AOPA/EAA through legislative mandate. Late last week, there was an attempt to attach this legislation, referred to as the "Pilot's Bill of Rights 2," to the surface transportation reauthorization legislation. Complex aviation safety issues have no place on a highway bill—period.

ALPA's sole responsibility is to advocate for its members in their capacity as professional airline pilots. ALPA's long-standing policy as adopted by its Board of Directors is to maintain the highest level of safety within the national airspace system. As such, ALPA has weighed in on the proposed amendment due to its obligation to the safety of our members in their capacity as airline pilots. The proposed amendment introduces risk that takes a step backwards from maintaining the highest levels of safety. If not for how this legislation impacts the safety of the airspace in which our members fly, ALPA would not weigh in on this matter.

On July 23, ALPA president, Capt. Tim Canoll, sent a letter to members of the U.S. Senate urging them to vote "no" on an amendment by Senator Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) to the highway bill.

In his letter, he outlined ALPA's opposition to this amendment:

This legislation has the potential to allow medically unfit pilots unfettered access to the national airspace at altitudes up to 18,000 feet with aircraft large enough to accommodate 6 occupants, at speeds up to 250 knots, in airspace which includes commercial airline traffic carrying passengers and cargo.
It would eliminate the requirement that these pilots see an aviation medical examiner (AME) at regular intervals for mental and physical evaluation in order to show medical fitness to operate an aircraft.
It may reduce some medical conditions that could disqualify a pilot from receiving a medical certificate and relies on the pilot to self-report when a disqualifying condition is identified. Even if a pilot develops and discloses a serious medical condition that creates risk in the national airspace, the amendment could prevent the FAA from ensuring that the pilot seek treatment.
This has been ALPA's position since 2012 when ALPA submitted comments to the FAA in opposition to the AOPA/EAA petition for exemption (Docket No. FAA-2012-0350) from the third-class medical requirement.
ALPA has engaged with stakeholders to address concerns about medical evaluation processes for pilots who hold a third-class medical certificate and believes that a compromise position can be developed to ensure that added risk to the airspace we operate in is mitigated and the highest levels of safety are maintained. In fact, there are other provisions in the Pilot's Bill of Rights that ALPA supports, and we intend to continue collaboration with our Hill and aviation partners.

Again, ALPA believes that a common-sense solution is within reach, but the amendment as written introduces a level of risk within the national airspace that we cannot support.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/airlines/allegiant-air-flight-runs-low-on-fuel-over-closed-airport-makes-emergency/2238936

Whelp. Relevant to the previous notam discussion.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
It's almost like I said notams are a human factors nightmare the other day because I knew this exact thing would happen! That said, I'm really surprised they decided to hold. Surely they could have gone to a different airport 10 min prior to that point and landed only slightly into their reserve? I doubt weather was a factor if the blue angels were out practicing.

!IAD 07/215 (KIAD A2369/15) IAD RWY 1R ALS OUT OF SERVICE 1507291200-1507291600

!IAD 07/214 (KIAD A2368/15) IAD RWY 1L ALS OUT OF SERVICE 1507291300-1507291500

!IAD 07/211 (KIAD A2365/15) IAD SVC MICROBURST/WINDSHEAR DETECTION SYSTEM NOT AVBL 1507281105-1508052000EST

!IAD 07/210 IAD OBST TOWER LGT (ASR 1267911) 385109.60N0772307.70W (6.6NM SSE IAD) 671.9FT (239.8FT AGL) OUT OF SERVICE 1507281005-1508121014

!IAD 07/209 IAD OBST TOWER LGT (ASR 1232614) 385510.20N0772915.90W (2.1NM SW IAD) 477.7FT (163.7FT AGL) OUT OF SERVICE 1507280514-1508120514

!IAD 07/197 (KIAD A2345/15) IAD SVC TERMINAL AREA SURVEILLANCE RADAR/ SECONDARY SURVEILLANCE RADAR OUT OF SERVICE 1507300400-1507300800

!IAD 07/192 (KIAD A2339/15) IAD APRON TAXILANE B BTN TAXILANE A5 AND TWY J WIP CONST N SIDE LGTD AND BARRICADED 1507261653-1510012359

!IAD 07/191 (KIAD A2338/15) IAD SVC TERMINAL AREA SURVEILLANCE RADAR/ SECONDARY SURVEILLANCE RADAR OUT OF SERVICE 1507290400-1507290800

!DCA 07/327 (KIAD A2312/15) LDN NAV TACAN AZM OUT OF SERVICE 1507221829-1508052000EST

!IAD 07/137 (KIAD A2264/15) IAD TWY J BTN TWY A AND TWY J3 CLSD TO ACFT WINGSPAN MORE THAN 90FT 1507161721-1510311600

!DCA 07/230 (KIAD A2255/15) BRV NAV VOR OUT OF SERVICE 1507152136-1508142300

!IAD 07/114 IAD APRON TAXILANE A SFC MARKINGS E SIDE NOT STD 1507131941-1510310400

!IAD 07/113 (KIAD A2232/15) IAD APRON TAXILANE B SFC MARKINGS EAST SIDE NOT STD 1507131940-1510312359

!IAD 07/112 (KIAD A2231/15) IAD TWY B BTN TWY J AND TWY K CLSD TO ACFT WINGSPAN MORE THAN 90FT 1507131932-1510312359

!IAD 07/111 (KIAD A2230/15) IAD APRON TAXILANE B BTN TAXILANE A4 AND TWY J CLSD TO ACFT WINGSPAN MORE THAN 90FT 1507131929-1510312355

!IAD 07/102 (KIAD A2216/15) IAD APRON TAXILANE A5 BTN TAXILANE A AND TAXILANE B CLSD 1507130300-1510092000

!IAD 07/099 (KIAD A2212/15) IAD TWY J BTN TWY A AND TWY B CLSD 1507130300-1510092000

!IAD 07/098 (KIAD A2211/15) IAD TWY K SFC MARKING BTN TWY J3 AND TWY A NOT STD 1507122040-1510092000

!IAD 07/097 (KIAD A2210/15) IAD TWY B SFC MARKINGS BTN TWY K AND TAXILANE B NOT STD 1507122040-1510092000

!IAD 07/094 (KIAD A2207/15) IAD TWY J SFC MARKINGS BTN TWY J2 AND TWY J3 NOT STD 1507121839-1510310400

!IAD 06/171 IAD TWY Y8 TWY DIRECTION SIGN FOR TWY Y MISSING 1506180948-1507312359

!IAD 06/170 IAD TWY Y8 LOCATION SIGN MISSING 1506180945-1507312359

!IAD 06/174 IAD AD CLSD 1507281000-1507312359

!IAD 06/169 (KIAD A1888/15) IAD TWY W4 APRON SIGN WEST SIDE FOR W APRON MISSING 1506180939-1508312359

!IAD 06/161 (KIAD A1862/15) IAD RWY 12/30 SFC MARKINGS NOT STD 1506161840-1511161900

!IAD 06/130 (KIAD A1809/15) IAD RWY 1C WIP RWY PAPI LGT MOUNT REPAIR 1300FT N OF RWY 1C THR 1506120235-1510011200EST

!IAD 06/129 (KIAD A1808/15) IAD RWY 19C WIP RWY PAPI LGT MOUNT REPAIR 1300FT S OF RWY 19C THR 1506120234-1510011200EST

!IAD 01/040 IAD AIRSPACE SEE FDC 1/1155, 0/8326 ZDC 99.7 TFR 1501081749-1601312359EST

!FDC 5/7564 (KIAD A2002/15) IAD SID WASHINGTON DULLES INTL, WASHINGTON, DC. BULRN ONE DEPARTURE (RNAV)... POTOMAC DEPARTURE CONTROL FREQUENCY 126.65. 1506291938-1512261938EST

!FDC 5/6822 (KIAD A1575/15) IAD STAR WASHINGTON DULLES INTERNATIONAL, WASHINGTON, DC., SELENSGROVE THREE ARRIVAL DME REQUIRED 1505271330-1508200400

!FDC 5/4832 (KIAD A1481/15) IAD STAR WASHINGTON DULLES INTL, WASHINGTON, D.C., COATT FOUR ARRIVAL...RADAR AND DME REQUIRED 1505211400-PERM

!FDC 5/8049 (KIAD A1028/15) IAD IAP WASHINGTON DULLES INTL, WASHINGTON, DC. RNAV (GPS) RWY 19R, ORIG-A... RNAV (GPS) RWY 1L, ORIG-B... LPV VISIBILITY RVR 4000 ALL CATS. NOTE: INOPERATIVE TABLE DOES NOT APPLY TO LPV ALL CATS VISIBILITY. NOTE: HELICOPTER VISIBILITY REDUCTION BELOW 3/4 SM NOT AUTHORIZED. 1504151759-1510121759EST

!FDC 5/9925 (KIAD A0657/15) IAD STAR WASHINGTON DULLES INTERNATIONAL, WASHINGTON, DC. BARIN ONE ARRIVAL NA 1503051200-PERM

!FDC 5/7643 (KIAD A0576/15) IAD IAP WASHINGTON DULLES INTL, WASHINGTON, DC. ILS OR LOC/DME RWY 12, AMDT 9A... S-LOC 12 MDA 740/HAT 430 ALL CATS. VIS CAT C RVR 4000. 1502262124-1508252124EST

!FDC 4/5589 (KIAD A3204/14) IAD STAR WASHINGTON DULLES INTERNATIONAL, WASHINGTON, DC., PHILIPSBURG TWO ARRIVAL UNAVAILABLE 1409180400-PERM

!FDC 4/5587 (KIAD A3203/14) IAD STAR WASHINGTON DULLES INTERNATIONAL, WASHINGTON, DC., PRTZL THREE ARRIVAL UNAVAILABLE 1409180400-PERM

!FDC 4/2823 (KIAD A3130/14) IAD STAR WASHINGTON DULLES INTERNATIONAL, WASHINGTON, DC.,GRAVZ ONE ARRIVAL DELETE NOTE 4: TURBOJET AIRCRAFT ONLY ADD NOTE: FOR AIRCRAFT CAPABLE OF 180KTS OR GREATER ADD NOTE: PSB TRANSITION-TURBOJETS ONLY 1409180400-1411130400

!FDC 4/2822 (KIAD A3128/14) IAD STAR WASHINGTON DULLES INTERNATIONAL, WASHINGTON, DC., SELINSGROVE THREE ARRIVAL UNAVAILABLE 1409180400-PERM

!FDC 4/2819 (KIAD A3129/14) IAD STAR WASHINGTON DULLES INTERNATIONAL, WASHINGTON, DC., LEGGO TWO ARRIVAL UNAVAILABLE 1409180400-PERM

These are the real notams today for IAD. I added one pretty important notam just for fun! And keep in mind that would be just a small part of your dispatch release, and by the way, you're already running late and in a hurry to get your flight out. The FAA really needs to ... re-do the NOTAM system. Yes, it's irresponsible to not know about a notam, and totally inexcusable for a professional crew but the sequence of events leading them to this is entirely human behavioral-ist understandable.

The Slaughter fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 28, 2015

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Carriage returns don't make that mess much more readable. And I couldn't get them to copy and paste with it in, so yeah.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Okay copy and pasting it into word fixed it. It's slightly more readable? It's still a loving garbage mess. Paraphrasing from IRC since I'd like to keep the discussing going here too, as much fun as it is to crucify the crew and allegiant, and YES they absolutely share a lot of responsibility, the notam system SUCKS (especially with regard to TFRs and the FAA not following their own rules regarding briefings, etc). Goes back to the "This faa listing of TFRs may not be the FULL list of TFRs" thing.
There are a lot of ways to solve a problem. The first step is admitting you have a problem. In a human factors class I took, there was a picture of a sign that was like 'please stay on trail and off the grass', and you can clearly see where people have ignored the gently caress out of that sign and gone on the grass. People are going to shortcut. So you can come with all kinds of solutions. You can make a new trail where people are taking the shortcut. (it was the convenient way to go, clearly). You can hire a security guard to watch it 24-7. You can put up a fence, or thorns, or both. This applies to aviation too and the human factors of design into aviation. It's why we have gear handles now that don't look like light switches and we also don't touch switches on the runway, plus weight on wheels sensors, you can engineer out the problem, you can train for it, tons of ways to eliminate problems. People are gonna be lazy and gently caress up, make it easier for pilots and it won't occur as often. The notam system hasn't changed enough since the 1950s and teletype, it hasn't kept up AT ALL.
Azflyboy, if they knew there was that notam why would they go bounding toward the airport with a lack of fuel? It seems like a miss to me.

Edit: goddamnit yenko you beat me by like 2 minutes. yeah management pilots should be careful for this poo poo because people love to see them fail, but I understand how they can make that mistake because I'd be lying if I said I'd never missed a somewhat important notam in 6 years of flying. Sorry, it's easy to do. I guess i'm a garbage pilot.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

azflyboy posted:

What really confuses me about the whole incident is how the crew got to the point where they had to declare an emergency in the first place. Ignoring the NOTAM issue, the crew had a perfectly good alternate (GFK) about 70 miles north, so the fact that they didn't have an extra 15 minutes of fuel on board indicates that either the flight departed with less than the required reserves, or the crew decided that flying in circles and arguing with ATC was a better use of time and fuel than just admitting they screwed up and landing somewhere else.

Yeah, that's what I was wondering too. I can't imagine the situation where going into holding and then declaring an emergency was the best option available. Also, how did this issue not become abundantly clear like ... 50 nm prior to their destination anyway when an approach controller was like "uhh, that airport place is closed"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
The E175 has a really nice passenger experience, with the 2 lavs and the fairly spacious seating and actual overhead bins. I like it better than the CR9's I have been on. Whoever designed the main cabin door was an idiot, though, it's really easy to get your finger sliced off in that thing if you aren't paying attention.

• Locked thread