Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Lol literally every instructional flight of my career I checked fuel and watched student check oil. Usually made them clean the windscreen too. That's on your instructor, totally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Compass did commuter hotels in addition to a $36 hr 1st year FO pay, which was good at the time but with all the latest action w/ endeavor/envoy/PSA etc isn't as competitive right now. But my good buddy is a recruiter and says they are still being pretty picky and don't need to hire that many. I think right now we're coasting pretty hardcore off the west coast bases/nice airplane and attrition had slowed down over the summer.... At the same time I think it's a mistake to slow down hiring at all because this is evidence of how bad it's going to cost them. They can raise the first year pay to $41 at any time without union approval, but even that may not be enough if there are large bonuses. I have a friend that just got hired at DL, another hired at Fedex, I think our attrition is about to go through the roof and they're going to be on the backside of the power curve... as a 2nd year FO though I still get a raise if they raise the first year pay to $41 cause right now 2nd year is at $38 and if they raise 1st year, they have to raise 2nd year as well. Kind of a moot point when I upgrade in February, but... :woop:

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I'm willing to gay marry a Canadian so you can come work in the US for one of the regionals on a green card. But you have to be willing to do butt stuff.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
That guy is a prick. Some DPEs are, unfortunately. There's nothing wrong with looking poo poo up. Yes there comes a point where if you're looking everything up, you aren't demonstrating mastery but the old PTS had terminology such as "uses all available resources..." and even included references etc. Also, a good DPE would just say "nope, try again".

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Once you get out on the line, flying the airplane as much as possible with the autopilot OFF will build comfortable familiarity in the airplane. Take the opportunity to hand fly it as much as possible. I hand fly the E175 all the time. I am currently the only SEA FO that disconnects the autothrottle as well for a majority of landings, causing a large fuss from some of the weaker captains. Which is hysterical. Because you push the big levers forward to go faster, and you pull them back to go slower. It ain't rocket science.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Congrats! I'm aiming for Feb or March personally. Kinda depends on whether I'll be sitting reserve or not, it's tempting to delay it til I can hold a line in Seattle.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
It'll suck, as all commutes do, but it's doable. SMF has plenty of flights. If you have to start out at the regional level, Compass does SMF-LAX and SMF-SEA which are both bases and usually the jumpseat is open. Probably a lot more commuters SMF-SFO but idk as that's too short for us. SFO is such a shithole airport full of delays and metering, and Sacramento flights would be the first hit (though you could drive potentially). The commute from "cheap area" to "expensive area" is typically one full of commuters, just as a general rule, for example phx-lax.
I think only Southwest and Allegiant are based out of OAK but I could be wrong.

The Slaughter fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 15, 2016

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Compass would be a good stepping stone for you to get some 121 experience and move on, and it wouldn't be a terrible commute at all on your own metal. Plus, I'd get a nice referral bonus. :P
But yes, any pilot can hop on any airline, however there's priority where a UA flight attendant or gate agent would trump you on a UA flight for a seat in the back. Obviously, only you can sit in the jump, so then it comes down to priority for the jumpseat. If you work for UA mainline and it's a mainline flight, you get first dibs on the jump, if you work a UA regional and it's a mainline flight, you bump non-UA regional people (otherwise first come first serve), and finally just "other pilots" first come first serve. Sometimes on your own carrier you can reserve the jumpseat in advance, if there's a compass flight to get me where i'm going, I ride that because not only can I reserve it in advance, I can also sit in the 2 extra flight attendant jumpseats that nobody but compass FA's and compass pilots can use. It's great because if another pilot shows up for the jump, I can yield it to them and then go take one of the FA seats. In practice, this is pretty rare. 95% of my flights the jumpseaters get a seat in the back. The 5% where I constantly have cockpit jumpseaters is pretty consistently SFO-SEA and vice versa - tons, TONS of united people. I'm sure there are other routes like that.
Crash pads, there are websites, you can ask around in new hire training, there are usually crashpads posted in the crew rooms, etc.

Also, no FedEx?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Yeah compass just requires 2 flights before your show time with /any/ airline and you're covered, but realistically it's not an issue most times. Usually if there's 4-5 people trying to commute it's not 4-5 /pilots/ trying to commute. The few times I've lost out on the jumpseat, once I ended up getting a seat in the back at the very last minute (literally "somebody no showed for first class, RUN, GO GO GO") as they were closing the top door. And that was MSP-SEA which is a very tough route cause it's hub to hub. Avoid hub to hub at all costs. The other time I got on the next one. I hear RNO-LAX is a bit tough but my friend hasn't been having any problems really.
At Compass if you're going to not make your commute you just call crew scheduling and if they really need you they'll positive space you, otherwise they'll drop the first turn or whatever and tell you to just get there when you can get there. I imagine it's similar at most airlines, maybe not at like Mesa or Gojet, but yeah, any decent place.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Chicago is a cool city. Austin is also neat but no real airline presence and man, living in base is a huge QOL enhancement, but that said it's a reasonably short commute to IAH or DFW I'd imagine.
And no, not SF, I live in SEA, based in SEA. It is neat. I still don't look forward to being scheduling's filthy whore when I go back on reserve after upgrade in a few months, tho. May bid down to LA if i can hold a line and use the commuter hotels there for a few months.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
... I've definitely never completed a checklist by memory or made the callouts without even checking the thing I just said... definitely not.

poo poo happens, people gently caress up. I'm not saying it's good but if you do it day in and day out you start to memorize the checklist and you have to consciously force yourself to read it and actually verify that you're checking said item. Usually it's a flow backed up with a checklist. That said, I'm not surprised to see this was a florida operation... That's always my first clue.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

PT6A posted:

I'd also point out it's way easier to stay ahead of the aircraft on approach when Vref is 65KIAS instead of 110 or 118. That's another thing the "how could this happen???" brigade often overlook.

Edit: or 124KIAS like the report actually mentions! Consider that you're literally going over twice as fast as a Cessna 172 on a short-field approach. Everything is happening two times faster, that's why it's easier to make mistakes even if you have more experience.

Yeah also realistically in a jet vref speed has nothing to do with your approach speed until you're pretty close in. LAX will regularly have you going 250 kts for as long as possible, Seattle will give you 190 then 170 til a 5 mile final.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I thought it was pretty obviously sarcastic knowing apollo :3
So I just registered for the NGPA job fair in January. Any other airline goons going?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Yes, CPZ (it's CPZ or CP, not CZ) is the gayest airline. As soon as I upgrade (jan or feb) 5 out of the 68 captains in Seattle will be gay and that's just the ones I know about. Heck yeah. Been plenty of fun overnights.

As for headset talk... how did nobody mention the uflymic yet, I absolutely love mine and it's great for commuting or deadheads as well, just all around awesomeness and ridiculously cheap. I hear it's even better with harmony and the qc25 since it doesn't die when you run out of batteries.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
You can adjust the mic gain. And you should or usually it's too loud. Not sure about us users drifting off into space tho. I'm not going topless in the 175, the average noise level in the cockpit is about 92db. gently caress that.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I have a pair of oakleys since they sell non-polarized sunglasses and most are polarized which doesn't work with our fancy E175 screens.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Not sure how much I can say here because top sekret but I had a terrifying moment yesterday where a guy decided that my potty break was the BEST POSSIBLE TIME to start RUSHING LIGHTNING QUICK towards the front of the aircraft/cockpit door. I think he managed to get out "can I get a soda" as I managed to squeak out in my best *i will end you voice* SIR YOU NEED TO SIT DOWN RIGHT NOW. loving clueless people. Never been nervous like that before. I think I'll just start holding it.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

The Ferret King posted:

Well. He IS an aviation professional.

Whoa, let's not say things we can't take back. ;)

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I don't know that I'd necessarily jump to the conclusion that it's a broken wire based off just that. With just a fouled plug you could still have that. Did you try a lean burn off?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Occam's razor then suggests fouled plug to me first, I would have sat there in the runup area, set the parking brake, max brake and leaned it out for best power to be really hot for about a minute or two. Lead needs pretty high temps to burn off.

https://www.lycoming.com/sites/default/files/Magneto%20Drop-Off.pdf

The Slaughter fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 30, 2016

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Having a richer mixture can help the engine stay cooler... but leads to fouled plugs more often. And too rich a mixture robs you of power you might need for takeoff for example.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

azflyboy posted:

I successfully passed the oral exam for my captain upgrade this evening. Aside from one question that resulted in the check airman and I citing completely different answers from the same manual, it went really smoothly, and I get a few days off before I start the sims on Monday.

Congrats. I should be going in feb or march for mine, just trying to get my last 1000 hrs so I can bid for a class date.
A little nervous doing it right at 1000 - it's a major responsibility and being able to hold it doesn't mean you should. That said, I'm very comfortable in the plane and feel like I'll do pretty decent with making decisions. Just a confidence thing and there's a few more things I'd like to see from the right seat (like a diversion, ugh loving west coast. I got excited yesterday when GEG dropped to 1200 rvr but it quickly went back up to few at 400...) Several CA I've flown with have told me I seem really knowledgeable and ready tho. In lieu of an actual diversion I've just asked lots of questions about those and other areas I know I'm still learning (winter ops/deicing if your APU is Mel, for example). Just finished a great 2 day w/ one of our most senior CA... which is 5 years at my crazy airline haha. He said I'll be totally good in his opinion and offered me a letter of rec unsolicited, that was super nice and def made me feel good about my abilities.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
whelp i love my digital logbook.
but my airline just lost 6 E170s so there goes any movement for 3-4 months while attrition catches up with the shrinking size. gently caress. I think I'll still be able to upgrade if they run any classes at all (i bet they still will, but fewer people) but I'll sit junior for longer now on CA rsv. :/

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
that approach is badass. i used to do it in the sim all the time.
http://www.vatmex.com/charts/MMMY.pdf Look at the VOR approaches here on like page 15+. We do those in the E175. Thankfully it has them in the database...

The Slaughter fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Dec 18, 2016

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Brown streak.

Fingers crossed here at CP that I can get into an upgrade class in Feb or March and not be totally hosed by the loss of airplanes, but I'm probably hosed. Honestly I'm getting 90 hrs w/ 18 off so a few more months like that will be bearable, I just wish we had buddy bidding so I could only fly with my CA buddies. I'm really good friends with several captains and trips with them don't even feel like work, but you get a mouthbreather that's just a miserable gently caress for 3 days and I hate life. Thankfully that's few and far between but still, if I had buddy bidding...

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Are the Q's really that bad? poo poo and I thought the 175 was a mx hog..
Today the fuel door sensor was being kinda stupid, so the fueler was still adding fuel at like D18 (that's 18 min til departure time for the non airline folks). D15... the number hasn't gone up at all... wait a sec, the guy is gone but it still says FUEL DOOR OPEN on the EICAS and doors status page. CA runs downstairs and fiddles w/ door for a sec, comes back, calls dispatch hi here's what's going on can we get xferred to mx, xfer to mx at like D13.. they come out at like D6 and monkey w/ the door a bit and clean the sensor, ops check good. Sign off the logbook, oh wait now we don't have 3 blank logbook pages we need to get a new logbook... handle all that poo poo and push remarkably not that late.... why do i mention all of this? Because they put the delay on us for "late call to MX" because we didn't call MX at D20 like we are supposed to... even though things can break or not be noticed (and aren't things we check) til after D20. I just don't give a gently caress anymore.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

ausgezeichnet posted:

God bless.

(You fly for one of the Republic entities, correct?)

nah, compass.
As for appendectomy... I had one right in initial. Not a big deal at all. AME didn't care, PRNC.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Meanwhile seatac has 3 runways and you get hold instructions on a clear day because they just can't even. Tonight ovc 4300 all 3 runways running visuals to 16L/R, departing 16C, 8 min metering delay. da fuq

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
For anybody having taken a checkride recently, how dumb is the new ACS stuff vs the old pts?
I want to get a float addon but $$$, also risk.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Ah, didn't realize it was just for the PPL. Yeah, most of the checkrides I took had at least some scenario based playtime to them but not too strong.
Looks like I should be upgrading in July, but maybe sooner. I can't wait.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I don't get it. We just have specific rules for night visuals at GEG for example (published segment or a min alt til a published segment) but like nothing for sea or pdx as it's bright and nothing to hit on base, basically I mean...

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/CPZ3261/history/20170328/0436Z/KSNA/KLAX

I did this under 91 last night, absolutely crazy trying to do a 36 mile flight in a jet, haha. Nice 33 kt direct crosswind too in LAX which was challenging when the airplane was 30,000 lbs lighter than normal.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Rolo posted:

That's what I've been doing but the other pilot disagrees. I always assume SAT because RAT changes with speed.

The other pilot is dumb, static provides meaningful information whereas a guy going 290 kts and a guy doing 150 would have a totally different exposure to icing as your wing is being "heated" by friction essentially.

Grats, Nuggan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
hard to imagine that would have flown even in 2006, certainly wouldn't today.

• Locked thread