Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Butt Reactor posted:

Did the Skywest interview, got a job offer a few days ago :toot:

Now I'm stuck deciding between two of the lesser lovely regionals, awesome. I'm trying to find pros and cons of each before making a final decision in a week or so.

Take both, have this guy cover for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

What an rear end in a top hat.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Last Spring UA switched from the 744 to 777 for LAX-SYD. That was my first time doing a 7500nm trip on a 777 and I during the takeoff roll I wondered for a minute if we were just going to overrun onto Pershing Dr. I feel like we finally lifted off with almost no runway left and cleared the beach at less than a hundred feet.

That entire climb-out was scary. I was in row 9 I think right ahead of an engine and those things were screaming until we started to level off.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

Don't modern airliners take into account the length of the runway they're using to calculate the necessary amount of thrust for takeoff, instead of going balls to the wall every single time? I heard that somewhere at some point, which could explain the longer-than-strictly-necessary takeoff runs.

Pretty sure takeoff thrust is takeoff thrust. You wouldn't want an engine to fail between V1 and Vr and not have the other at max power.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Just had my first go around in a commercial jet. RJ145 on approach to ORD, was passing over 90 when we throttled up and headed back into the cloud. I figured it was a minimums issue but they announced that ATC deemed their separation inadequate.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

kmcormick9 posted:

Can any of the pilots find it?

:rimshot:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

KodiakRS posted:

A good landing has a point of touchdown, a bad landing has a point of impact.

I disagree. I think UA232 was an excellent landing and it most certainly had a point of impact.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Duke Chin posted:

Fffffffine it's murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-suicide.

Quoted for pedantic assholes everywhere. This is a horrific act of violence beyond the typical scope of a murder-suicide.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I am frequently not asked. I'd say it's 50/50.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That's weird. I regularly see female flight crew, particularly on the regionals.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Apollo posted:

What kind of time commitment does it take to be a female pilot that has any ambition of being a family woman at the same time? Hope you have your kids before you start flying....

This is a joke, right?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Anybody here receive instruction at
Weltzien Skypark in Wadsworth, OH?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dalrain posted:

Used to be local to them, did ground school there. I trained at nearby 3G3, which used to be similar in price but with a longer runway. You will learn how to do short field pretty well at Skypark, which can benefit you later on for sure.

I have about 10 hours from last year at a place local to me in Virginia, but didn't feel good about my instructor or the way the place was run. I have family in Cleveland so I'm considering taking two weeks off and slogging through my private and maybe get started on instrument.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Rickety Cricket posted:

Whereabouts in VA? Near DC or not? Also don't expect to get through your PPL in 2 weeks

Richmond. I was flying at Hanover.

Even if I don't make it to checkride, I figure I can get 40-50 hours in over 14 days if I can find someone available. There are some pilot mills around here that actually offer that but I'd rather work with a smaller outfit.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It is, but my understanding is that more at once and shorter pauses in between means faster progression. Since it's all about building on previously learned skills the more frequently you fly the less time is spent mastering each skill.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Check your PMs, Mr. Adama.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That climb seemed even steeper than the Framingham one.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

What am I missing here? Is "my airplane" the US equivalent of "I have control" or am I missing something else entirely?

Yes.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Drone "pilots" won't adhere to them.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hauldren Collider posted:

Feel? Lol do I have to? I'm not too thrilled about the idea of pouring leaded gas on my hands...

Nah, just assume there's no Jet A contamination in the fuel.

Seriously though just pour a little bit on a piece of paper and see if it dries clear.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not worried about getting a bit of 100LL on my hands occasionally. Tetraethyl-lead is bad news, but getting half a teaspoon on bare skin will only give you 1.6% of the permissible skin exposure for TEL according to OSHA over an 8 hour period. So wash your hands after and don't pick your nose and you'll be fine.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg/npgd0601.html

http://www.statoilaviation.com/en_EN/pg1332347009500/ar1334072085837/SFRAviation/avgas100ll.html

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

sanchez posted:

On sump points, I took a demo flight a few weeks back. The airplane had 3, one in each wing and one in the belly. We were able to test the wings, but the belly sump wouldn't produce anything at all, like it was broken or blocked. The CFI seemed to think this was no big deal and we went flying anyway. Is he going to kill me once instruction starts?

I'd probably move along. What else is he careless about with passengers?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
E145s are pretty poo poo to ride in unless you're in 1A. They seem like they have decent climb performance when not at max weight though.

I fly from RIC to IAD on one pretty frequently and it seems to climb like a rocket.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
How do you prove someone's not a doctor? A common sense test? :rimshot:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
As a long time United flyer that just went all in on Delta I can't say I see a difference. In fact so far I prefer United, but that might just be my lack of familiarity with Deltas quirks.

Smisek is a piece of poo poo, but did he make the customer experience any worse than other legacies?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm mostly insulated from that stuff by status.

I like how United would handle delays, missed connections, etc. lounge agents would confirm me on multiple flights and let me take whichever one was most convenient, stuff like that. Delta seems far less flexible.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
JetBlue and Southwest are useless to me as a lot of my travel is in EMEA and Australasia.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
There should be language to keep the FAA from pulling the old "You are responsible for being aware of all TFRs. No, nothing we publish digitally is a valid source for all TFRs."

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I find something emotionally moving in professionals calmly handling their poo poo.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Peace? lol

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Great job avoiding dual flame outs and crashing within sight of the diversion airport.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

two_beer_bishes posted:

That might be it, thanks!

Those go out into Jamaica Bay though, not either of the rivers.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

vessbot posted:

No, that's the ad hominem fallacy. A strawman is when you attack a position that the person doesn't hold.

I had a long response typed out about the difference between ad hominem and strawman and then came to my senses and deleted it.

Thanks for biting the bullet.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

shame on an IGA posted:

Another CCTV of the flydubai crash has emerged, they were in that steep dive for a while.

https://youtu.be/ifJ9osyLRqQ

This is seriously baffling. It looks like it's nose down. And they definitely still had fuel.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Will a 737 break a stall and dive even with full-up elevators? I thought they buffet heavily and drop like a rock, nose up.

Or is that an Airbus feature?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

That is how a well designed aircraft stalls. If you were to stall during a turn you can stall one wing before the other and then you enter a spin as you have asymetric lift. They were to the left of the runway, they could have over committed to the landing. Alternatively they could have been trying to go around but did the procedure out of order, like retracting flaps before applying go around power.

Fatigue could be a major factor.

I could never get a 172 to stall like this. Always broke hard left probably due to my fat rear end :v:

Maybe flaps up without enough speed, then the missed approach turn leading to the right wing stalling and putting them banked right nose down.

Looking at the approach procedures, missed in either direction is climb runway heading (close enough) to 940 then start a climbing turn to ~2200.

http://ottomanva.com/lib/charts/URRR.pdf

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

This is true. I'm saying I hope these flights get reassigned to bigger jets, and not to the miserable CRJs.

The only mark against the E-jets (maybe just the E170s) is that, at least with regard to Air Canada, they don't have hot food in business class, so I know a lot of people will try to avoid flying them for long flights if travelling in business class.

What kind of flights are served by E-jets that are long enough where someone would want airline food?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

Well, someone hasn't been in first class.

Meals in domestic first suck rear end with the possible exception of UA/DL New York - LAX/SFO routes.

Domestic first class meals are basically international economy meals.

Now international business/first meals... Delicious.

Not worth the $10k ticket.

CBJSprague24 posted:

At least one CMH-DEN segment is an E170 or E175 on UA.

I believe CMH-SLC was DL's first E170 route in 2005 or so. I think it ran CMH-JFK-CMH-SLC-CMH.

Just remembered this one:

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Mar 30, 2016

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Animal posted:

That's enough to cover the block time pay of the entire regional flight crew operating the flight. In one economy ticket.

I routinely spend $1k plus taking regional connection flights between cities near New York and New York.

45 minutes on a CRJ/EMB.

$1k+

Every week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

sellouts posted:

I know consulting companies that have done this when a carrier won't play ball and they know the 16 of their employees flying every week are propping up the route.

It isn't that bad but it's one of the symptoms of flying to a hub all the time as your final destination.

RIC-JFK-SFO is usually ~$600 a week out.
RIC-JFK is usually ~$1150 a week out.

For reference:

• Locked thread