Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Hauldren Collider posted:

The fact that the president can lock down entire cities from general aviation just by going there is very stupid and very wrong imo.

The FAA has considered your opinion, and would like to express its apologies that you are upset.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Tide posted:

Also, any recommended books on meteorology?

http://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/af_a3_5/publication/afh11-203v1/afh11-203v1.pdf

and when you're done, volume 2!

(but it is a lot smaller)

http://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/af_a3_5/publication/afh11-203v2/afh11-203v2.pdf

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Time to get started on the good ol' ATP.

http://www.tblackaviation.com/ATP-Training.html

xaarman fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 15, 2015

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Just got back from signing up... jesus that plane is old. No electrical trim?!!?

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Rickety Cricket posted:

Did I miss something? I see no info about an airplane on that page

http://www.tblackaviation.com/images/10bn2-panel.jpg

MrYenko posted:

Not sure if serious, or if you're actually that spoiled.

Not sure if troll

xaarman fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 15, 2015

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

So this is making the rounds on Facebook....

https://soundcloud.com/atc-atc/booty-call

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Never trust a pilot who wears a hat when he flies.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

So my flight school is making me get insurance for the one day of my checkride. This is dumb. How much should I expect to pay? What company? I plan to buy and cancel 24 hours later.

~2k hours ME Turbine, 700 TPIC, 1st class flight physical

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

fordan posted:

You left out the most important number (not sure the insurance companies even care about hours for non-owned policies): how much hull coverage do they require you to have? Presuming that amount is well below the actual cost of the aircraft and covers their deductible only, how judgement-proof are you if/when their insurance company subrogates and sues you for the difference if the crash is due to your negligence?

You should be able to get online quotes from Avemco, AOPA or EAA. I think I pay $300 or so annually for $10k of hull, and mid-range liability coverage. Haven't seen any of them offer for periods under a year, but you may be able to get an annual policy and a refund for any unconsumed premium after you cancel unless they say the premium is fully consumed when coverage starts.

They didn't require you to have insurance for your training? No solo flight time needed to prep for the ATP?

Minimum legal coverage. No solo time needed... 3-4 flights and a check. Insurance not needed when flying with their instructors, just with the examiner.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Dumb. Some guy taxied over a cone and bent one of then props, so school is extra sensitive right now.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Go away TS Erika I want to finish my ATP >8|

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Ceasing my ATP training here, extremely unsatisfied with the school - enough for me to walk away in the middle of it. I'll resume when I get back to Oklahoma >8|

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

The type rating, and I know where I'll be doing it when I get back. It would have just been so convenient to knock it out while I was here on this "deployment" to Tampa.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 8, 2015

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

I could get into specifics, but I'm just going to "lol" at the final bill they sent demanding payment doesn't even add up correctly.

I felt like they were schemers when I met them, but an acquaintance from work recommended them so I pressed anyways. Should have went with my gut.

In case anyone is wondering, it's T. Black Aviation in Tampa, FL.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Boeing 7x7 aircraft are designed so the nacelle will burn itself off the pylon and still be controllable.

Whether it actually does that I have no idea.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Screw the haters. Sell the rental, mortgage the primary house

Go big or go home baby YOLO

xaarman fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 6, 2015

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Also, ATP complete!

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

SWA's Pilot Union released their contract platform yesterday. While extremely optimistic, it's a fascinating read. I did find this bit interesting:

Southwest's economic fuel cost (“economic” meaning inclusive of hedging activity) in 2015 was $2.07 per gallon. The Company predicts its economic fuel cost in 2016 will be in the $1.70 - $1.75 per gallon range. The 2016 Southwest fuel consumption is estimated to be 1.959 billion gallons.

Southwest has made some unfortunate hedging bets in comparison to its competitors. Unhedged American is forecast to have a 2016 economic fuel cost in the $1.20 - $1.25 per gallon range.

That is crazy cheap jet fuel.

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/swapa/assets/pdf/Negotiating/SWAPA_Contract_2012_Negotiation_Platform.pdf?mtime=1458670503

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

There are some special parameters for military.... For example, look up SFAR 100-2 (I'd link but on cell). It should apply in your case - it resets the clock for any expired written test to return from deployment + 6 months indefinitely.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It doesn't look like that would apply for me; I've been on shore duty for the last year, and it's probably a good idea to do the test again anyway since it's been so long.

Psshaw, you'll go overseas eventually.

OR

Everyone highly sheppardair.com to memorize their tricks for a few hours, test, and brain dump.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

I think the airline minimums, nay all commercial minimums, should be 1 less hour than my total useful time.

Hope this helps!

xaarman fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 15, 2016

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

From the bro network:

quote:

2. The regionals are having a TERRIBLE time finding pilots which has started a bit of a food fight between several of them. As you know there are signing bonuses and free ATP/CTP training, but they still can't meet the demand. He shared example from several recent new hire classes where 14 people were hired and only 4 actually showed for training because they had been hired away...some are actually leaving for the majors while in regional training. One regional had a class of 10 scheduled and only one person showed up. As a result Republic Airline is parking 30% of their fleet because they simply don' have the pilots to fly them. Several of the academic instructors at my ATP/CTP course were regional pilots and they all shared examples of "green slips", basically extra trips paid at 150% or 200%.

That really makes me laugh for some reason

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

There's no way that is real

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

http://sheppardair.com/atp.htm

I have no idea what 2 3/4 ANU was but I know that was the answer! Got a 94 with about a days worth of cramming.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Don't be nervous about talking to ATC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDdG42l3uOQ

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

The more I see of trailers for "Sully", the more it sinks in to me that the real Sully really is a narcissistic prick. He couldn't have said "Hey, why don't we call it 'Cactus 1549' or 'Miracle On The Hudson" or something else, because there was another pilot and also three F/As in the back that day?"? I get that the movie is basically his book (which I found out today), but :fuckoff:.

Don't get me wrong, the Miracle was unfuckingbelievable and he/they deserve all the credit in the world for pulling that off, but Expert Analyst and Political Activist Sully's 15 minutes ran out before they put a few coins in the meter.

Wait, do you think he actually had any say in the name of the movie?

Those rights were signed away a long time ago. The execs chose it because Sully is a household name, Cactus 1549 would make people think it's a Westerner movie.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

The Slaughter posted:

I used to always teach "plan your pattern turns at 20 degrees, save 30 degrees of bank for when you really need it

Do small GA aircraft not give stall indications in the pattern?

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

I get that, but artificially limiting yourself to 20 degrees in the pattern seems extremely conservative. We use up to 60 degrees in a corporate jet.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

vessbot posted:

Well it's just accepted that the military operates with lower safety margins (based on more strict and thorough training) than GA. You also fly nap of the earth at night, do formation acro, high penetration approaches, and a host of other things that you wouldn't ask "well if we can do it, why not Podunk Flying Club?"

I'm not talking about closed patterns, overheads, or anything aforementioned... a final turn is a final turn.

It wasn't meant as a bravado challenge - this is aviation. Both mil and civ we discuss our decisions on the ground, and say "yeah that's a great idea" or "I learned a lot from that and will do it ______ way going forward."

e.pilot posted:

I teach my students to never go more than 30 in the pattern and to keep the plane trimmed well enough that it'll won't get slow enough to stall unless they're pulling back like a hamfisted moron.

Trimming for top of the white arc in the downwind does pretty drat well setting up for the desired final approach speed with full flaps on final, at least in 172s, 182s, and Cherokees. It kinda works in the Baron, but only if you trim to top of the white after the gear is down.

But really, as long as you've got the speed you can do just about whatever bank wise. In aerobatic planes 60+ doesn't even feel uncomfortable.

This is along the lines of what I was thinking. While I'm familiar with "tell them 20 and they bank to 30" shenanigans (I'm finishing up an Instructor tour), 20 just caught me off guard due to the limited stall increase speed so I was searching for the root cause.

Anyways, every single one of my friends who got out from 2014+ has been hired at either Delta, United, or FedEx. It's almost like that mythical pilot shortage I've been hearing about for the last 20 years might actually be here. The count down begins until I can get out and hop on that gravy train. The AF can't keep treating people like poo poo and expect people to stay now that there are viable opportunities on the outside.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 28, 2016

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Captain Apollo posted:

Xaar- you don't think you'll be treated like poo poo in the majors??

I hear this often, yet every one of my friends who separated and went to DAL/UAL/FedEx passionately loves it. To have a job where I show up to a job and just, like, fly... sounds so amazing. I can't even imagine it.

To give you an idea how F'd the culture of the USAF is for Pilots (and all rated aircrew, really), browse through a hundred pages here:

http://www.flyingsquadron.com/forums/topic/18471-whats-wrong-with-the-air-force/

Remember, the $225k bonus has a FY16 44% take rate. HAF/A1M (Headquarters Air Force/Personnel [Manpower]) and Air Force Personnel Center decided to offer early takers to sign early, and FY17 has a 25.7% take rate. The Fighter pilot shortage is increasing (which is hilarious because they shut off the pipeline when I went through training, gee who could see there would be a shortage????) and the NDAA is potentially offering $48k/yr for a total of $432k. Not a single fighter pilot I know is taking the bonus.

The Air Force will never have problems with people volunteering to be Pilots, but they can't get them to stay.

edit: JQP has a hilariously sad write up on the subject. Want more fighter pilots? Just lower the standards! Oh wait, that's still not enough. https://www.jqpublicblog.com/internal-email-shows-air-force-pilot-shortage-crisis-level/

xaarman fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 29, 2016

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

DOPMA = Defense Officer Personnel Management Act mandates the Up or Out system that the DoD follows. In essence, we promote by year group at certain hard, non-negotiable points in our career. If members don't want to be shown the door at a point beyond their control, there are certain boxes we have to check. While an Instructor/4 Ship Flight Lead rating is a box, it is the only required one related to flying.

To give you an idea and as the USAF realizes it's problems, they said they are going to remove additional duties. Here is a hilarious summary of the ones they want to reduce. Notice it said "of 61, we're changing only the 29 here." Also, the CSS (Commanders Support Staff) are just pilots in the squadron. All these jobs are done by pilots in the squadron, in addition to Scheduling, Tactics, Mobility, Stan/Eval, etc.

http://www.af.mil/Portals/1/documents/SECAF/160819_Fact_Sheet.pdf?ver=2016-08-19-123457-803

The USAF assumes all pilots are equal and we are judged by how well we do our additional duties along with checking other boxes deemed necessary for career progression. Mother Air Force puts all pilots on a path towards General, regardless of member desires. Career broadening assignments and outside the squadron jobs are mandatory. My friend got put in charge of the Contracting office. This is in addition to flying, maintaining tactical proficiency, and overall aircraft employment. Another one is deployed to Djibouti, Africa merely because she has a Top Secret clearance which allows her to do the required PowerPoint and Excel editing. The line requirements for her deployment was nothing more than "O-4, TS Clearance required." No attention to job duties were given. She is an O-4 and has a TS clearance, she meets the requirements and goes. When she gets back, she has post deployment leave, requalification and another check out. Estimated time out of cockpit is usually ~10 months. On my deployment, I last flew in March and didn't get certified to instruct until November.

The problem is, very few people above the squadron level who want to stay in care. The system got them in their current position, so that's the way it works.

Duffel Blog is similar to The Onion, except for military. You know those articles where you can't tell if it's satire? It explains the situation perfectly http://www.duffelblog.com/2015/04/jcs-dont-care-youre-resigning/

xaarman fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 29, 2016

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Military aviation has endured well above average retention rates due to the lovely economy. Everything is cyclical. When airline hiring goes up, military pilot retention goes down. It's a well known fact and has happened several times before.

Despite my soap box, I am not taking any of the military bureaucracy personally. The USAF was there before I joined, and it will be there after I leave. Like an ex-girlfriend, it is time for us to go our separate ways, and let the next year group take my place. The box checking is driven by DOPMA, nothing will change until DOPMA changes, and DOPMA won't change until people start dying again. Or if retention gets so bad Congress can't ignore the negative publicity... so pretty much when people start dying again.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 29, 2016

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

overdesigned posted:

Navy medical just cleared me to return to flight. Only took 341 days :toot:

High five!

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Might be applicable to Guard/Reserve guys

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

e.pilot posted:

Boutique Air, they fly PC12s on mostly EAS routes.

This is a neat idea with decently priced flights, I hope they do well.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Do any of you have the NTSB link to where the aircraft crashed due to, ahem, extra curricular activities not related to flying?

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

YES thank you sir.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

For those of you at the airlines, how bad would be living in Rocklin (Sacramento) but based out of SFO or OAK be?

What about using SMF commuting to LAX?

Are those all horrible bases to consider? UAL has flights every two hours from SMF -> SFO, but then I wouldn't have a vehicle.

Getting out of the AF in a bit less than a year and trying to decide where to live.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

How does commuting work anyways? Can any pilot hop on any airline? Does UAL have priority on UAL flights? How does one go about finding crash pads?

I am going to aim for UAL, AA/Delta and SWA and in that order. Who knows if it'll happen, exploring the local Reserve/Air National Guard in the area as well. Regionals, now that they seem to be paying livable wages, aren't out of the question. Gotta put food on the table, yannow.

• Locked thread