Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

The Slaughter posted:

Compass would be a good stepping stone for you to get some 121 experience and move on, and it wouldn't be a terrible commute at all on your own metal. Plus, I'd get a nice referral bonus. :P
But yes, any pilot can hop on any airline, however there's priority where a UA flight attendant or gate agent would trump you on a UA flight for a seat in the back. Obviously, only you can sit in the jump, so then it comes down to priority for the jumpseat. If you work for UA mainline and it's a mainline flight, you get first dibs on the jump, if you work a UA regional and it's a mainline flight, you bump non-UA regional people (otherwise first come first serve), and finally just "other pilots" first come first serve. Sometimes on your own carrier you can reserve the jumpseat in advance, if there's a compass flight to get me where i'm going, I ride that because not only can I reserve it in advance, I can also sit in the 2 extra flight attendant jumpseats that nobody but compass FA's and compass pilots can use. It's great because if another pilot shows up for the jump, I can yield it to them and then go take one of the FA seats. In practice, this is pretty rare. 95% of my flights the jumpseaters get a seat in the back. The 5% where I constantly have cockpit jumpseaters is pretty consistently SFO-SEA and vice versa - tons, TONS of united people. I'm sure there are other routes like that.
Crash pads, there are websites, you can ask around in new hire training, there are usually crashpads posted in the crew rooms, etc.

Also, no FedEx?

I see. Do people ever have problems getting to their place if there's 4-5 people trying to commute on a plane? How many commuters are there typically? What happens to the pilot if he gets bumped from the flight he was trying to commute on?

I have no idea what the future holds, but if it leads me to Compass, I have no problem giving your name for a referral bonus.

Also, I have heard amazing things about FedEx. Their work rules and pay are well above industry average, and morale is high. However, I really don't want a significant portion of my life to be on a night schedule. BTDT, didn't enjoy it. A close friend, with similar hours as myself, is going through training there. $4k/month for training on the MD-11, but her orientation flight? Quick turn from Memphis to Charleston, 2am to 9am. Gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Yes. It's stupid.

I will definitely be avoiding hub to hub. Really, it's between California (#1 choice but $$$$$$$$), Florida, Austin or Chicago. I've never been to Chicago but it seems to meet all my requirements on paper, will probably visit in the next 6 months or so.

Slaughter: you in SF?

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

dexter6 posted:

Can someone recommend insurance/levels I should carry while I'm getting my PPL? I'm still pre-solo, if that helps.

Can you look into a Flying club? Usually insurance is wrapped up into those costs.

I went to a local FBO to knock out my ATP, and was the most money grubbing, POS operation I could imagine (want to use our checklist? $5. Headset? $10. Separate ground instruction? $35/hr.) Half of the old rear end avionics were labeled INOP. Anyways, they wanted me to purchase my own insurance for the whopping 5 hours I was going to use their plane and it came out to like $500-600/yr. But hey, I could cancel after I was done and they would refund me 50%!

Then I went to the local Community College, everything was included in the rental, had beautiful fully functioning G1000 avionics, and I did it in 1.5 flights and a check.

YMMV, but it certainly turned me off to the smaller mom and pop shops.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 16, 2016

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Thaumaturgic posted:

I'm only a 100 hour PPL scrub but I can't fathom how TWO professional pilots didn't notice any of these things until it was too late.

In the USAF, the two most dangerous crewmembers are two instructors flying together. Why? Because they have enough experience to be complacent and both assume the other one will speak up/save the day if something is starting to go wrong.

You know who is the safest? The brand new PIC who is going over everything 100x to make sure all actions are complete, safe, unadventurous and by the book.

Hope this is a bit of perspective for you.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 18, 2016

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

e.pilot posted:

In normal situations maybe, but when an abnormality pops up, experience is often what will save you.

Did you read his post or did you simply read my reply and decide to pipe in from there?

xaarman fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 19, 2016

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Rekinom posted:

I have never seen that true in practice. An unsupervised brand new PIC is almost always the far bigger liability in the aircraft.

The most dangerous crewmembers are AC's and IP's that got upgraded for career purposes, but lack proficiency due to their staff job. Paired with a copilot who doesn't know [yet] how much his PIC sucks at flying.

Valid, perhaps I should have reworded to the more experience pilots have, the more vulnerable they are to complacency. I am trying to think of a list of USAF accidents that had IPs on board where no abnormalities existed. Coming to mind are the C-17 gear up landing (2x IP PIC), C-17 Alaska crash 1x IP, C-130 MAFFS crash (5600 hours between the two IPs; no aircraft abnormalities), but I am sure I'm forgetting some.

I would say the "not should have been upgraded but still was because reasons" is less than Class A accidents, but I only have anecdotal evidence to back that up.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 19, 2016

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

I have nothing to add except

Rudest Buddhist posted:

completed by September 2016

might be a problem.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

The Slaughter posted:

I thought it was pretty obviously sarcastic knowing apollo :3
So I just registered for the NGPA job fair in January. Any other airline goons going?

Not this year, but a few friends went specifically for the legacy airline face to face time.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

So I had a good talk with the company I'm using for interview prep this morning... great insight into the differences in each airline. She thinks my hours/resume will be competitive about mid 2017 at the rate people are being hired - which is great because I'm looking at a late 2017 separation. One thing she said I really need to do is narrow down my top airline choices, I am really struggling to do that.

Exciting times in aviation, and how amazingly different from 10 years ago!

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

I don't know how much I want to post here, you know with internet detectives and HR recruiting departments and all.... so PM'd!

All great options though!

xaarman fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 8, 2016

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Speaking of politics while flying...

http://www.sfgate.com/elections/article/Politically-charged-scuffle-aboard-SFO-flight-10609189.php

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

So in case you guys were wondering about current Air Force pilot life and why we hate it so much, this is Air Force Personnel's Centers response to us leaving in droves:

https://www.airforcetimes.com/articles/the-air-force-is-thinking-about-paying-pilots-up-to-455-000-to-stay-in-uniform

As we've forever reiterated, it's not about the money. No one I know is going to take any financial bonus short of a million dollars, and certainly very few people will sign a 13 year commitment half way through their initial service commitment.

They can never fix the problem, so typical government solution is to throw more money at it. Except as Gen Goldfein said, there is not enough money in the Treasury to fix this with bonuses.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 30, 2017

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

JacksLibido posted:

People say this all the time, but I find it hard to believe that if the airlines weren't paying so much pilots would still be getting out. From what I'm seeing in the Ops sqs, the only dudes getting out in droves are the dudes who have really high paying jobs (pilots), while all the CSOs are staying in forever.

While true that Pilots have higher compensation on the outside, 12R CSOs are horrendously undermanned at Offutt AFB. If you can access the C2ISR Webinar on MyAF, you can see the raw numbers. Furthermore, and I'm not trying to get in a pissing contest here, Pilots take a lot longer to get up to full quals. I'm talking Chief Pilot IP/EP FTU instructor type.

Coincidentally, my friend just linked the congressional testimony at https://www.c-span.org/video/?426158-1/military-officials-explain-reasons-behind-pilot-shortage&start=1672 and I'm making my way through it now. They actually seem reasonable here with the real issues, not the fluff we normally get.

Starts at 25:59 -
OKAY, I PARTICULARLY WANTED TO TALK ABOUT NON-MONETARY INDUCEMENTS. AND I NOTED THAT IN THE REPORT, THERE WAS A REFERENCE MADE TO 260 DAYS AWAY DURING DEPLOYMENT FOR SOME OF THESE AVIATORS AND 110 DAYS AWAY EVEN WHEN YOU ARE ON HOME TEMP RARE DUTY. THOSE ARE LONG STRETCHES AWAY. AND IN YOUR ACTUAL STATEMENT, GENERAL GROSSO, THERE'S A CHART HERE THAT SHOWS, ACTUALLY THE RANKING OF THE RULE OF CIVILIAN JOBS IS MUCH LOWER THAN ADDITIONAL DUTIES WHICH WAS AT 37% AND MAINTAINING WORK/LIFE BALANCE AND MEETING FAMILY COMMITMENTS WHICH WAS AT 31%. ABILITY OF CIVILIAN JOBS WAS AT 24%. SO I THINK THE LURE OF COMMERCIAL AIRLINE JOBS WHILE IT DOES HAVE SOME ALLURE, I THINK ADDRESSING THOSE TOP TWO WOULD BE SIGNIFICANT SO TO EACH OF YOU, I WOULD LIKE TO ASK THE QUESTION IN A MINUTE AND 36. WHAT IF ANYTHING YOU ARE DOING TO TRYING TO ADDRESS THE NON-MONETARY ISSUES.

Military aviation is the world's coolest job. I'm perfectly happy with the level of compensation I'm getting. I know I'll never make 787 Captain pay, but it's not bad. It's all the other garbage that makes the job garbage. If all I had to do was show up, fly, do other minor tasks and go home, I'd never leave.

CBJSprague24 posted:

My boss in the aviation department at the college is a retired Air Force heavy transport driver (C-5, -141, -130, -17) who got out in 2014. He said he looked at going to Atlas when he got out, but couldn't get a domicile anywhere near where he lives and passed.

Not sure what you mean here, Atlas doesn't have domiciles. They pay for you to fly out to where ever the plane is.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

If you need a steakhouse in Omaha, highly recommend the Drover. Very 70s style, but their Whiskey Filet is ah-mazing.

• Locked thread