Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The Slaughter posted:

Trying to work through airlineapps. Question on the driving history.. they have NO cutoff. Also, one charge I had was reduced - do I put the original or the court reduced? There was another ticket that the court dismissed. I know this is a.. risky nebulous area as far as nondisclosure of anything goes being very likely to disqualify you. But a dismissed ticket means legally you did not commit the infraction... so it shouldn't go on there, right? My record has been very clean for 5+ years now, it was all youthful indiscretion. Also, I don't even know where to start with putting stuff on there. Do I go to the DMV and get a driving record? Is there a way to order a background check on myself online that would include it?

Edit: California driving history shows nothing. Thought I got a ticket there at one point. Looks like I'll have to go in person to get my Washington one. Those are the two states I've driven in, with the addition of Arizona but I never got pulled over in Arizona (I'm not latino, so the cops didn't care about me.)

Edit2: Got the Washington one. It only shows 1/20/07 "Failure to yield right of way." and nothing else. I got two speeding tickets that don't show up at all, one I did traffic school for and one that was just straight up dismissed. That was like 2006-2007ish. Not sure what to throw on airlineapps. :( I don't mind putting them on there with a status of 'dismissed' but I don't even know the dates, it was at least 7 years ago and apparently the state agencies haven't kept that record...

Don't mention anything that doesn't show on public records. Keep a copy of the clean records. Something from 2007 will not be a factor for regionals right now. In fact, they would probably hire someone with a DWI in the past five years (then they know that person is not going to the majors!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

We have some of those QX jets at XJT. They are pieces of poo poo that are falling apartp, but at least they have dual FMS.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The PSA hate is more understandable.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

What are the competitive alternatives to LogTen Pro? They just switched into a ridiculous subscription model that is more expensive than getting my 1st medical certificate every year. Months after I paid a small fortune for their OSX and iOS software. Even if I were stupid enough to pay that much money every year, I don't think that company will be around for long.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I pay $65 for my medical when I go down to Puerto Rico. The doctor knows me and has kept me at the 3rd class medical price.

Its a nice app, but once you are flying in an airline that can export your schedules, I only open it about once a month to import the database file and make some corrections. If I subscribe, I would practically be paying $5.75 every time I update my logbook.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Asked ATC for their phone number for the first time. The dipshit at CLE tower mumbled a landing clearance in non-standard phraseology, then acted pissy when I verified it. Then as soon as we landed he gave us critical instructions including an active runway crossing, while we were still above 100kts and working on breaking and transferring controls. When I called to verify if we were cleared to cross, he snapped at us "WHATS WRONG CAN'T YOU HEAR WHAT I SAY!?".

In big busy airports like ATL, LGA, ORD, DCA, DTW, and JFK they are actually thankful when you verify hotspot clearances. This guy has to be chewed and spit out.

-edit: the captain made the call. Another person took it and said that tower claims we missed a couple of calls, and that the he was just concerned whether his radio was working or not. Both statements are absolute bullshit, we did not miss a single call and it was obvious he was being hostile. He said they could pull the tapes and check for us. The captain told him to do as they please but remember that the day pilots are afraid to verify landing and hold short instructions is the day they would have an accident.

Animal fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 6, 2014

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Yeah I hear that happen all the time (Captain Happy). This guy though... he must have been having a lovely day or he absolutely hates being ATC, because it was obvious he was being an rear end in a top hat. "Whats wrong, did you not hear what I said!? Because I already told you to cross that runway!" practically shouting it like we were idiots.

If anyone can check the Cleveland tapes for the tower, it happened last night about 10-15 minutes before I made the first post about it.

Animal fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 6, 2014

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Yep :) he's one of my best buddies in the company, a former Africa bush pilot, and now a check airman. Excellent aviator. Thanks for finding that, I'll listen to it to see if my recollection matches the reality. Also, the request for phone # happened on ground frequency.

-edit-
I listened to the tapes, the verbage is different than I remembered, but yeah the guy is just a grump. The tapes sound a bit muffled so its hard to tell the tones being raised, especially before and after the captain talked to him.

-edit 2-
We listened to it together. To cut the guy some slack, it seems the captain may have transmitted before I did. Seems he was asking me to verify and accidentally transmitted, tower verified it, and then right after I asked again. We were busy getting off the runway, he made the first clearance immediately after touchdown (please don't do this!!!), when we were deploying reversers and making callouts.

This would all have been hilarious if it had been a Delta Capt. Happy at the helm.

Animal fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 6, 2014

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I'm going to guess Jack Brown's school in Winter Haven

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I don't even know how to do a weight and balance in a CRJ. You guys don't use ACARS?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Air Whiskey is good people. Congrats

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Good luck, I hope they learn from Delta's mistake with Endeavor that the regional pilot groups are not as expendable as they thought.

If they decide to bid the flying out, at least Air Whiskey is a more respectable pilot group than some others. Btw, XJT is getting some more Eagle flying (ERJ) but the general consensus in our private forums is that it sucks that we are taking your flying, but hey at least its not going to a bottom feeder, we all voted no together right :shrug:

Animal fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 6, 2014

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

Yeah, what happened between Delta and Air Wisconsin? I was shopping sample itineraries last night for a conference my mom will be going to in the Spring and saw Air Wisconsin listed as the operating carrier on one of the segments, but now it's not happening?

It fell through, Delta probably tried to make them take unprofitable flying, and just like the pilot groups, some managements are starting to get tired of the race to the bottom.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Yeah that'll pass. Oh well. At least you guys put up a fight instead of immediately bending over like others.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The Slaughter posted:

Congrats e.pilot, and Apollo good luck you goon. Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down. :fyadride:

I need 2-3 more pages of my 20ish page final Erby Diddle Astronomical Universidad capstone paper on how 9/11 changed aviation. And I'm loving out of ideas. So that's what I've been doing all drat week.
Good news is once I poop something out of my brain I'm done with my bachelors and should graduate with 3.99 GPA if I do OK on this final paper.

How much will it end up costing? I need to do a degree but I dont know if I should shortcut to the useless aeronautical one or get one in which I get actual skills that can land me side-gigs (something IT related maybe)

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

And a poo poo sandwich to go with that

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

AzureSkys posted:

I have a relative interested in becoming a flight attendant. She's going to a hiring event next week. Any advice she should have (other than run away!)? I've been out of the airlines for a while now and am not sure of the current state of things.

As far as Delta flight attendant goes, she should NOT be too much of an individual. She should try to be a woman who is perfect and also nice. Be whatever they want you to be. If they ask about flaws give them some bullshit about how your friends think you like to work hard instead of going out to party with them. Once she gets the job and clears probation then she is free to be a huge rear end in a top hat to everyone.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The Slaughter posted:

Since when is the quality inn in Detroit or the crew room at some lovely hub airport the best office? Please don't feed the idealists.

Its not all doom and gloom though, and if you are already so digruntled then I am afraid you are gonna be one of those guys no one wants to fly with, who just bitch and moan about the industry and their commute. I am happy being a regional pilot for the past three years. The trick is that I love love love to travel. I did the math for last year and I got about $70,000 out of plane tickets flying around the world on my free time. Mostly business class. South Korea twice, Morocco, Belgium twice, Holland, France, Panama, Dominican Republic, Spain twice, Puerto Rico like 7 times, New York City around 5 times, and other stuff I can't remember. Thats all within 12 months, on my days off. This would have been impossible with a normal desk job. So I am living the dream even though I made $48,000 in gross pay. But the way I see it, I made over $100,000. I don't commute, I don't have a family, and I don't give a poo poo about buying crap like cars or flat screen TV's. My expenses go to eating out, medical stuff, travel expenses, and camera gear. So if I had an office job that paid $100,000 I would have blown most of it travelling anyways, except I would have had much less time to do it.

If you are doing this to fly cool planes and don't give a poo poo about travelling, you are gonna end up hating it very soon because the novelty will wear off. About 80% of the people I fly with don't care about travelling. Another 50% has never even left the USA outside of going to Canada or Mexico for work trips. The only people who I fly with who are happy are the world travelers.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

ethanol posted:

Well that still sounds awesome to me.. I'm only disgruntled by my lack of funding

Sorry I meant The Slaughter, I forgot to quote.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

overdesigned posted:

If you want to actually fly things in the military, the Army WO flight program is it; I have a couple friends who did it. All you do is fly. You aren't in charge of anything, you just fly.

Anywhere else as a commissioned officer, you split flying with leadership and being a manager of people, which is rewarding too, but it means you aren't flying all the time. Eventually it'll get to the point where you aren't flying at all.

I'm glad this has come up because its something I have been considering lately. I want to get money for schooling and having a military background will help get into the majors. Plus I figure with how long the upgrade time is in my airline, I may as well be spending that time in military training and just continue accruing seniority in the meantime. The problem is I am 32 1/2 years old and the cutoff age is 33. Also I don't know if they will be thrilled about me being an airline pilot, if anything they may see it as a liability. I hope my other jobs will help though, air ambulance pilot (pretty much bush pilot). I am looking at that website about warrant officers, but any other info would be appreciated. I currently live in the state of Michigan, is there any other state's National Guard that has a better chance for going in and landing a flying gig?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I am more interested in finding out the process of becoming a WO, there doesn't seem to be enough information out there on how to go about doing it, what they want, and if being a pilot already will help or hurt. I will probably get in touch with a recruiter but you know how full of poo poo they can be. It needs to happen soon though cause I turn 33 in June.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Also talk to your chief pilot and explain things in advance. If he/she is cool, they can block that time off for you. (As always, policies vary by airline)

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

And of course he only gets a slap on the wrist paid vacation.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Hopefully your company has touch screen cockpit trainers, that helped me a lot. Even the paper tigers help a lot for flows

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

So, the ATR crash in Taipei. One engine auto-feathered, and the crew reacted by immediately shutting down the good engine.

Is anyone here who was an instructor for Chinese indentured servant ab initio students surprised by this? I am not in the slightest.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

That cockpit gives me anxiety just looking at it

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Tony Montana posted:

I actually got in an argument with someone about this guy.. she was saying he sounds burnt out and old.. don't let his negativity impact your dream. I was saying he sounds pretty professional and I think it just makes the point of how realistically difficult and draining the whole thing is. What do you guys make of Captain Scott?

He's not nearly burnt out and old. That guy is downright chipper compared to a lot of people out there. He is telling you the absolute, neutral truth. At least how the truth is in the USA. If you get into this with an all rainbows and unicorns attitude of pure positivity, you WILL slam into reality and its not gonna be pretty. Its those people who end up super bitter. If you know what you are getting into, you have the means to make it happen, and (IMO crucial) you love to travel and you will make good use of your travel benefits, then it is a career path that is well worth it. It has been for me, and I am still a regional FO. Just this month I came back from an awesome week in Argentina, business class flight there and back. But now I am back to reserve because one of our bases closed and my relative in base seniority tanked. So what will I do? I will pack my bags and move to Atlanta, where I can hold a line. And I can fly to more world destinations from Atlanta anyways, so I am looking forward to it. If you can't have this kind of flexibility, this career can be miserable. I don't know how it is in Australia, but thats life here in the USA.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

kmcormick9 posted:

Can any of the pilots find it?

Its as real as chemtrails

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

MJP posted:

Do I really need a paper copy of FAR/AIM, a brand-spanking-new E6B (they're cheap on Ebay), and the single most up-to-date textbook? I don't know if the text is basically a la college wherein a minor grammatical change merits a new edition, which you're required to buy because gently caress you that's why, or if they only issue new editions when there's real changes to the curriculum.

Sidenote, if anyone wants to sell me their PPL textbook and other related stuff, I'm all ears. I just got word that the company bonus is going to happen and even if it's at the minimum, I finally have enough to start my flying lessons.

As long as you pass the exams, who cares where you got the information from.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Butt Reactor posted:

Airline guys, what are some study tips you've used for Sim? I've had a hell of a time getting flows and call outs memorized during my first couple days this week. I spend a couple hours yesterday and today going over stuff in the paper tiger, but when I sit in the cockpit I freeze and can't think of a drat thing. :sweatdrop: how do I fix this before my sim partner and instructor kill me?

Go to the bathroom take a dump and rub one out right before the sim.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

So I have been thinking of getting the goddamn bachelors degree to make me more competitive. But I just cant justify doing it in the useless Aeronautical bullshit, even though I would get credits for my licenses. I'd rather do it in something more useful, in which I would, you know, LEARN a new skill. Computer Science seems attractive as I could work as a programmer on the side, and is a good backup in case this aviation thing falls out the wayside. Any suggestions?

-edit-
Made a thread about it.

Animal fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 15, 2015

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rickety Cricket posted:

CS seems to be the general consensus among people wanting to do work on the side/have some sort of back up

Thanks. Any suggestions as far as which school?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I will be in Georgia. I wanna be able to do it 100% online. So far I am looking at this ABET accredited IT program for under $19k
http://www.mga.edu/information-technology/online.aspx

I talked to an Arizona State University counselor but theirs would be around $60,000

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Will do!

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Congrats! You'll probably upgrade before I do!

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Yeah

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Do you have access to a sim you can get trained on? I always found that my students learned just as well in one, so flying to learn them was a waste of money.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

1,000 is an easy number that I would be OK with.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

So my pilot group is finally getting EFBs on May/June. Its gonna be Microsoft Surface, the new model which is still unreleased. I can't wait to take my flight kit to the backyard light it on fire and shoot it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

xaarman posted:

Trying to schedule with an ATP examiner, but they are being problematic with their availability, bah.

Also what's the average cost for a 1st Class Flight Physical? Is it $80 and a docs visit or is it more in depth?

Thats it. Depending on your age you may get an EKG on the spot.

• Locked thread