Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Last time this thread was brand new, I posted I wanted to become a cfi. And I did!

So, this time I'd like to say by the end of this thread I'd like to get my multi-engine ATP.

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I got my license at KODL Small world. Are you training out of KMAF?

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 13, 2015

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I just booked my first helicopter lesson.

This outta be fun.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
lol what is this, Canadia?

If you're doing aircraft marshaling, helping people get to the ramp or something of that nature you'll be fine.

We don't make students pilots, or anybody afaik get a radio license. Not even individual ATCers do... But FK can clear that up better than I can.

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 9, 2014

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Whats to prevent you from flying whenever you feel like it?

Who actually wants to fly for the airlines? I thought they were just the only way to be paid well for flying.

Seems like you have hit the Holy grail. I thought FAA were only given to old men looking to do something until they retired.

Hell, do it for five years and if you hate it go back to the airline grind.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
The a&p's at my field are my best friends and are always swamped with business.

Have fun being an apprentice for 3 years, though.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
If the 3rd class medical exemption passes you'll be fine!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Gross, a tail dragger.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Okay yeah - My time in a piper cub was absolutly amazing.

That is, until I actually wanted to fly home.....

In something that was faster than 60mph.........

That had a heater.............

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

fordan posted:

It was, although I was amused that on the same trip to Florida to get the seaplane rating I also flew 1.0 dual in an aircraft that uses a hang-glider wing that went faster and higher than the seaplane.

But seriously, if you have 2 days to spend in central Florida or anyplace with seaplanes, do the seaplane rating; it's the best way ever to avoid a biennial flight review.

Name the school/location.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Definitely do the second one.

The shop helpers, after 3(?) years get signed off to take the A&P test. So yeah it's an apprenticeship. Go find a knowledgeable mechanic that you get a long with and learn learn learn.

The "shop helpers" are never short of work and are always having a great time "complaining" about working on airplanes. Would love to do it later in life.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
So now that oil prices per barrel have fallen, 100LL prices for GA will fall too, right??!!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Skywest is giving a job talk at our university.

Things they ask on interviews:

Recite 91.175C verbatim.

Draw and explain a jet engine.

Why do jets have swept wings?

Will edit as I get more

edit1: Really hammered in that no one is perfect for the airline job. There are things about you and your personality that you need to really grow and develop (friendliness, ability to work with others) and others you also need to keep if you already have them (ability to reason by yourself, take command of situations when needed)

I asked a lot of questions about the 'right' people for airline jobs. Without hesitation they said there is no single one pilot or personality type thats meant for airline work, but it can certainly be developed.

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 6, 2014

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Lol London airspace is closed due to arc error

http://m.bbc.com/news/live/uk-england-london-30321231?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I just scored some Bose a20s for 600 bucks.

Check classified forums on pilot forums such as:
BeechTalk.com
Mooney space.com
Pilotsofamerica.com

And a lot of others. Helll Bose X's are going for 400 at this point!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
In other news. I've been flying a twin! Hopefully
I can take the ride on Saturday but the weather isn't looking so great.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I had an absolute blast flying the Beech TravelAir. Two lycoming 360s for engines really made the airplane easy to manage system wise and aerodynamically it's very stable.

I am now ASEL/AMEL :)

The examiner said I was a great teacher and smooth pilot. Hell yeah! :) I treated the whole thing like it was an MEI ride so I got good practice and feedback.

There is a place in Nashville I think I'm going to go for my MEI ride. They have a Baron and I think it'd be fun to be right seat on that bad boy.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Make sure you post pictures.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

chrisgt posted:

After doing the W&B we have about 3lbs each for luggage.

Don't worry too much about that. Plan the trip for long runways and low density altitude flying. By the time you taxi a bit and get going you'll be under gross the rest of the flight.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Oklahoma State University
Oklahoma University
Western Michican University
Utah Valley
Purdue
Embry-Riddle

Embry-Riddle is for fakers who don't actually do any schoolwork besides airplane. I argue that those individuals aren't well rounded enough to survive outside scrutiny of degrees for anybody that actually "cares" as an employer.

Edit: But since you already have a BA the universities might be a great way to get a masters and go to flight school...

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 3, 2015

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

MrYenko posted:

I can't mention this often enough.

God that would be fun.

Can't imagine being a demi-officer though - That would blow I would think

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Slaughters actually a neat guy. I think he's just doing his fair share to help discourage the idealists. It helps keep the people who actually want to fly razor sharp in their focus

IF YOU THINK FLIGHT TRAINING IS EXPENSIVE, try actually being a pilot. You never stop blowing money.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Bob A Feet posted:

Commissioned military pilot here. I can answer whatever questions you got. I went through the navy's flight school program (I'm a marine). The WO program I'm sure is great but I love the poo poo out of my job and so does everyone I work with.

Post your rank.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Okay but I'm going in higher than everybody else cause I've got a CFI and a (almost) PHD!

Edit:spelling

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 5, 2015

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
No temporaries???

What if the bureaucracy loses your payment or paperwork?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Anybody have experience doing a rotorcraft add-on after they already had a commercial pilots license?

I'm wondering what the real world hour figures would be.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

The Slaughter posted:

before or after you die in the deathtraps that are light helicopters?

Well I'd like the license before I died... So - before?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I have a great syllabus I like to use but it's really all based on King schools and the Cessna program.

I'm a believer in their stuff.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Rickety Cricket posted:

Same idea in Addis Ababa which is at an elevation of nearly 8000'. I think when we rotated I looked out the window and saw the 1000' markers on the departure end of the runway going by :stare:

I took off in a Comanche 250 out of Angel Fire one day when it was below freezing. KAXX

Took off 17.

We rotated at the piano keys.

Of runway 35.

We did everything right. All the calculations. Below freezing day, not even full fuel and just two of us.

The thing that hurt us the most was the wind was a direct crosswind coming off the mountain and essentially useless.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I bet the FAA is going to screw us this year in the 3rd class medical exemption. My grandfather in law, retired Colonel USAF B-52s has been waiting about 2 years to fly his mooney.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-bill/3708

The link shows the progress of the general aviation pilot protection act GAPPA. If your rep isn't on the co sponsor list, give them a call or email and ask them to support it.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Good news everyone!

I get the impression that the pilots on the forum think they are above reproach when it comes to their Medicals and their future flying careers. However, twice in my immediate family have I had perfectly able pilots give up any hope of being able to get Medicals in a timely fashion.

Even with Special Issuances, where the FAA doctors OK the medical themselves, it usually takes 2-3 months for that to happen. So by the time you have your medical back its only 6 months until you need to do the process again, usually at huge expense.

I am so excited. The Pilots Bill of Rights 2, has just been introduced in the Senate and the House.

It represents the greatest and easiest way to pass the 3rd class medical exemption with the least fuss.

Please, everyone, call or email your representatives and senators to let them know of your support of HR1062 and S571.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Medical-Reform-Tops-List-Again-In-Pilots-Bill-of-Rights-2-223621-1.html

PS now is the time to buy an airplane, before their values go up significantly because of the returning market, I hope.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Did you call your representatives and senators?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Welp - Just took my first helicopter lesson, R44.

Never had so much fun EVER in my flying career. WOW.

Now I need access to my wife's retirement account......

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

"ZombieLenin" posted:

Call me weird, but as a non-pilot I sort of feel like the strict mental health policies in place are actually harmful as they prevent pilots from seeking treatment. Obviously, I don't want a suicidal pilot flying me around; however, a pilot that's been treated for anxiety or mild depression? Who cares. That's like half of the people in the country.

Like any disease early treatment for mental health problems has better outcomes. Instead pilots are forced to deal with depression and anxiety without treatment because they rightly fear they'll lose their jobs if the seek treatment.

Please run for congress.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
No idea - But My A&P told me this addon box was the way to go.
http://www.l-3lynx.com/

Personally, I'm interested in the Stratus. But, I have a GARMIN 330 already...Upgrade to Extended Squitter or buy new....... Decisions.

Thinking Garmin 330ES plus Garmin 430W with this lynx thing should cover me ADBS-Out and ADBS-In!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

xaarman posted:

On a semi related note...

This staff deployment is not helping :\

Can you explain any of this?

Okay looks like a lot of hiring in happening!

What does this have to do with staff deployments (what is that)
What airline is this?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
So what. It's Delta! Aren't all pilots supposed to go regionals first?!?!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Just met a German private pilot. He asked how much I charged to give flying lessons. He scoffed at the amount.

He said he pays his flight instructor 6 dollars an hour in Germany.

I asked him what minimum wage was. "8.50"

He didn't seem to think it was odd he was paying a flight instructor less than minimum wage. What the ???

Can anybody confirm or deny? I thought the UK and Australia were similar to us in the USA. How did the Germans get it so wrong?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Bob A Feet posted:

Shoulda joined the goddamn Air Force.

Xaarman is in the Air Force

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Okay I won't be so shadowy here. Maybe I'm Misunderstanding

If Xaarman is complaining about low hours, and he's an Air Force pilot, then why do you think joining the Air Force would have helped?

• Locked thread