Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Didn't you select when you booked the tickets you'd be willing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

hobbesmaster posted:

Pretty sure my cousin is dead because of that. Icing and a c170 on floats do not mix.

Edit: I know what you mean but...

Geesus gently caress - why do we always have to be insufferable loving douchebags when it comes to this thread? Do you really think xaarman is saying that he thinks nothing can stop him?

Why can't we just laugh at the joke like the rest of the S/A forums and make witty puns and keep the banter moving along.

(Coming from insufferable douchebag #1 who never flight plans and never EVER does a weight and balance)

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

quote:

a phrase I didn't know about until flying with my last CFII which will be your friend: Local IFR

This is a GREAT tool in the toolbox. I love revealing the secrets of local IFRs

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
What kind of time commitment does it take to be a female pilot that has any ambition of being a family woman at the same time? Hope you have your kids before you start flying....

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Jealous Cow posted:

This is a joke, right?

No I'm not joking. Why would I be? Raising a child, especially carrying one, is a professional burden, not to mention the time requirements. I'm not going to pretend that men and women split the responsibility equally for child raising and that pilot management understand women as well as men.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I realize the confusion - my quote was in regard to the frenchnewwave post about the lack of female captains in the industry.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

sellouts posted:

The pilots on this compass flight to aus make me feel ancient. They look 16.

6 week old big shiny jet though, still has that new smell.

PILOT SHORTAGE

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

two_beer_bishes posted:

So I might have an opportunity to get some flying this summer after taking a couple years off due to the costs involved. I need 10 hours C182 time and my high performance endorsement, neither of which I have. I'm going to try to get both of those done at the same time but I really wish my multi engine time counted as HP since it was 2 180hp engines rather than one with more than 200.

e: apparently that used to be the case, in the 90s the wording used to be "an airplane with more than 200hp" instead of an "airplane with an engine of more than 200 horsepower".

The 182 is a great truck of an airplane. Fill it up as much as you can and it'll still fly no matter what. 4 dudes? Fine. 2 people and tons of stuff? Yeah sure.

I know it's expensive, but a "good" high performance endorsement would come from some time in a Bonanza or Debonair. Flying club maybe?

The 182 is so mild mannered I feel like it needs a separate endorsement. "High performance-lite"

Regardless - TRIPLE CHECK the seat to ensure its locked In the seat tracks.

(It's happened to me, I had to put my foot in the yoke)

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Keep on being your goony self.

If you want to give yourself a leg up - start reading up on 'airspace' - Use skyvector.com to see what airspace your airport is in. Be sure and find the 'VFR' chart for your airport. Also, study the VFR Legend.

If you can understand your airspace and those really cool big cities around you that have different airspaces, start listening to LiveATC.net for your particular local control tower.

It will be ABSOLUTE gibberish at first, but after a couple days of listening and trying to find appropriate phrases, and with an airport diagram in hand of the airport you're listening to, it will start to make sense.

Radio comms are difficult (but not impossible) for all of my students (including me) when they first start. The ONLY person who never had radio problems was a firefighter who was basically master of the radio.

edit: Also - It cost me 7k to do my PPL in 2009. I can only imagine how long and how expensive it would have been if I didn't have the 7k in my bank account waiting for me to use it.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Welp

http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/2015/06/van-crashes-into-jet-at-dallas-fort-worth-international-airport.html/

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
So - I now can say that I belong to both sides of "AOPA"

I just bought an airplane.

If anybody would like me to make a serious :effort: post I would be glad to oblige.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Is it time for guns on propeller airplanes again?

Drone Hunter Air Force

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Buy your own airplane.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Because it's expensive :science:

You know - I bet you could find a good partnership or Flying Club to get into up there! I would have done a small flying club if they had a high performance single I could have used. They are great options.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Consider Flight SImulator X. I basically did my instrument rating on that thing at my local aerodrome. Really saved me a ton of money but I still got to 'fly.' #flightsim is pretty active these days with a whole bunch of different simulator games.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I think I'd go down to 10k if he said "at or above" instead of "at and maintain."

Willing to play devils advocate.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Cap is mostly idiots playing pilot dress up.

Also - it's highly "squadron" specific so any anecdotal evidence will be wrong unless they refer to your unit.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Left my airplane for 3 days about 2 hours from me because of weather. Rented a car and drove home.

Got back to it today. Really considered not preflighting it but I knew the Internet would be mad so I went ahead and did it.

Yeah welp- this came straight out of my right tank.

That's a god damned fly in my fuel tank. How in the motherfuck did that happen???

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Cirrus makes terrible airplabes

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

bunnyofdoom posted:

Also, diversions, Circle Circle Line Line Hdg Dist Time, MEF fuel are great, tell someone you'll be late.

That's the whole rhyme right?

Mine goes something like this: Don't kill myself. Take a deep breath. When the gently caress am I going to get there, and does anybody else give a poo poo?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

sanchez posted:

Other than here, and /r/flying, are there any good boards? Pilots of America is not the greatest either.

Can I ask why you think /r/flying is a good place?

I really don't think most of the people on the board have done any real flying.

Their up vote system makes them impossible to listen to other views compared to a board like this.

I very much like MooneySpace.com, but BeechTalk.com is even better

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
This is another reason that James Inhofe is a savior and not a villain to be detested. I thought everybody in this thread understood that the judges that adjudicate the FAR's are in the back pocket of the FAA. There is no jury of your peers for this poo poo. It's unconscionable.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
And how do you know that exactly? The internet loves to vilify ANYBODY if they can, especially a climate change goof.

Link me to the interview where he said he didn't care about the construction workers.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Would you tell the media that you hosed up Mr ATC?

I would deny deny deny deny - why? Because of the previous discussion on how the FAA operates.

But I also wouldn't give an interview either....

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
The only reason that medicals exist is because licenses were issued through the military (which gave medicals).

People that are opposed to a 3rd class medical exemption typically mention safety, but they never bring up the fact that the sport pilot license that requires no medical has EVER had a medical related accident / crash.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

PT6A posted:

I'll admit, I have a significant amount of trouble understanding why any pilots should be able to exercise the privileges of their license without a medical of some sort. If the standards are unnecessarily strict for private pilots, then change the standards, but don't eliminate the medical altogether. What good can that bring?

The gently caress? Have you read ANY of this thread? The FAA is a bureaucracy that is stagnant, and resistant to change, incredibly inconsistent, and uncaring about its population.

This 3rd class medical exemption dates back to at least the 1980s. My own father isn't able to fly anymore because he was in a car wreck which caused him to have a stroke. He never could get his medical back after spending 10,000 dollars to do so. Atop rated multi engine pilot with no career because of an FAA doctor. Can't even fly a single engine piston, which are the ULTIMATE death traps Amirite?

No offense pt6a, but we're so close to some common sense regulations. Obviously I am personally affected. The Colonel can't fly his mooney either because of controlled atrial fibrillation. He won't take the medicine he needs because the FAA doesn't allow it, but it's an industry standard medication that will completely control his condition.

I want to say when I hang up my flying goggles, not some loving fed doctor. Doctors are the naturally enemies of pilots.

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 28, 2015

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Sorry dude I don't need a doctor every 5 years telling me I'm good to fly

I make that decision every day and I know myself and present condition better than the doctor

Why didn't you address the light sport license I just brought up? Not a single medical related crash.

Medical a can go away now thanks.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
“This amendment will help ensure the future sustainability of our industry and its valuable contributions to the nation’s economy and transportation system,” said the letter, which was signed by representatives from AOPA, Allied Pilots Association, Experimental Aircraft Association, Flying Dentists Association, Flying Physicians Association, General Aviation Manufacturers Association, Helicopter Association International, National Agricultural Aviation Association, National Association of State Aviation Officials, National Air Transportation Association, National Business Aviation Association, and Southwest Airlines Pilots’ Association.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Who the gently caress needs a medical to fly a piston single?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
You're right, so anyway I guess I need to call my doctor and get my grocery store medical.

Don't want my arrogant and bullshit ways to prevent me from getting properly diagnosed so that I may or
May not be able to buy groceries! The HORROR of shopping with no medical.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Why don't the Canadians just stop talking about their medical and airplane system. It's obviously way better than our American counterpart.

It has no bearing on the previous discussion regarding the U.S. Senate bill, the Pilots Bill of Rights 2.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Medical a exist because 1) pilots were issued licenses through the military and the military has medicals.

2) doctors make money off having pilots take medicals. I can't imagine that it's a ton, but apparently it's enough.

The problem is, in the U.S., we pilots don't seem to have enough money to combat the OTHER special interest groups of the doctors who want to keep the requirement that they get paid by pilots. It's like a luxury tax except the doctors are getting paid.

It's not a safety issue, it's not a health issue, it's a money issue.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

PT6A posted:

We're pointing out that the system is lovely and does need, very much, to be modified. I haven't the faintest idea why people think the best way is to exempt certain pilots from the medical system entirely instead of, you know, making the medical system less lovely. The problems are still there even if certain pilots no longer get affected by them. Wouldn't it be better to simply fix the problems instead of trying to go around them?

Don't even get me started on the stupidity of basically saying, "I don't need no doctors with their fancy book-learnin' tellin me bout mah health!" They're trained professionals. If they are improperly constrained by the system, the system needs to be changed, and if they are not acting professionally, they need to be fired.

Finally, if you actually want to convince people that this exemption is a good idea, it might be a good idea to present its merits instead of coming in all butthurt going "Waah, why did the ALPA make a perfectly reasonable statement?"

Actually, ALPA poo poo the bed on this one. Their letter claimed that pilots would have "unfettered" access to 18k. The legislation said up to 14,500 only. They just incited terror. Many of their members are reacting negatively. Go do some research.

Now, regarding my self assessment of flying. I, as a CFI, teach the IMSAFE checklist just as FAA/AOPA taught me to do as a private pilot. Illness, sleep, medication, alcohol, fatigue, eating.

So yes, I know better on any day, minute, or second, whether or not I'm good to fly. As opposed to a doctor I see every 5 years. Sorry dudes, no scandal here.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Wait a Minute - now this thread admits the NOTAM system is completely jacked and that pilots can't read this poo poo anyway but LAST PAGE we had pilots with less than 200 hours collectively saying they always check the notams!?

Obviously I don't work and never will work in a chartered environment. I would be PISSED if "dispatch" was responsible for my NOTAM info and didn't tell me about a closed runway.

In other news, Google Maps will now tell you when a restaurant is going to be closed by the time you arrive based on your route and ETA!

Just waiting until foreflight is the only chart and nav database in existence and is FAA approved.

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 29, 2015

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

MrChips posted:

What purpose does this comment serve apart from making you look like a complete rear end?

Nobody gives a flying gently caress about how many hours you or anyone else has in their logbook. As far as I and many others are concerned, your logbook is a binary thing. You either fall into the "enough" category, or the "not enough" category.

Inhofe made the comment that pilots who fly a lot disregard notams or simply don't look them up.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

MrChips posted:

That's pretty stupid. Actually no, that's completely loving retarded.

That Inhofe said it, or that it's true?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Well - I am going to try to earn the 'Captain' in my username.

After all the recent Civil Air Patrol posts, I decided I would look into and see how I could benefit the next generation of aviators.

There are THREE squadrons in my town, and each website says they are in desperate need of pilots. Two squadrons have cadets, and another squadron is for 'senior members only.'

I am not much into military marching orders, but I am into providing youth and opportunity to grope the gently caress out of airplanes and encourage people.

I'm sure I'll get jaded and quit within a month, but I think it may be beneficial to some others.

Who wants to place bets on how much this will be a complete cluster gently caress?

For posterity, my main goals are to encourage others to pursue general aviation (and beyond) and help motivate others by being a positive aviation role model. (internet persona not withstanding)

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I want to be the guy that actually knows ANYTHING about the airplanes. On paper it seems like I could be a good fit.

I don't have shiny jet syndrome. I love flying piston singles. I have the ratings and the certificates to be able to give flight lessons and help out deserving students.

Again, internet persona not withstanding, my favorite part of flying is being a Flight Instructor. It is my ultimate satisfaction, so hopefully I can find some youth to help encourage....\

But - let's just say my grooming standards are more like FerretKings as opposed to the avatar on the left :)

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

fordan posted:

And the CAP discussion a few pages back didn't dissuade you?

If nothing else, it'll make for a good story and for good reading.

Let's see how bad it is on the "pilot" side.

I'll visit 3 different squadrons and see which is the best, if any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
That's a really great idea. Before I moved I was the EAA Young Eagles Co-Chair. I recently signed back up to be involved in my new location. I will also strongly consider helping for the boy scouts....

I am NOT interested in military gunghoness. As we all know I generally hate being told what to do if it doesn't make sense. We'll see how long I last. Surely there is some levelheaded squadron out there that exists, right?

• Locked thread