Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
It'd be really hard to verify who was blocking it if they were trying to be sneaky about it.

If they're dumb enough to use their own callsign while trolling the freq we could issue a deviation warning and have it reviewed by management. Whether it could be acted upon or be worthwhile is another story.

False, deceptive, or disruptive transmissions on those frequencies could be a felony though. Disrupting air traffic operations is for sure. Doesn't seem worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Ok, I'll bite. What's the job, azflyboy?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

overdesigned posted:

I finished primary flight training today :toot: I'll find out my follow-on pipeline next Thursday.

Awesome job. What branch, where were you training?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
We're also paid very well to handle pilots of all levels of experience. Your diligence in improving communication is appreciated, but don't let a surly controller keep you from maintaining composure on frequency. We are expected to act professionally even with brand new student pilots. If you run into problems, tell your CFI.

Myself and several other controllers check this thread regularly, please ask any questions you come up with and you'll get a good mix of pilot and atc input.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

vessbot posted:

Just got a class date at Ameriflight :toot:

Gonna fly in Texas? We talk to a few Amflights each day in Corpus.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
File an aviation safety report. It does help.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Both sides get mad at each other all the time for slights both perceived and real.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I've encountered all sorts of disgruntled coworkers in my short career as a controller thus far. It's a healthy mix of complications with home life (due to poor family dynamics, or maybe their work schedule), psychological issues that go untreated because doing so would void their medical clearance and cost them their job, and complications resulting from being stuck in a high paying job that requires few prerequisites and no formal education. The latter means that many people will stick with ATC even if they hate it, because it's unlikely they'd be able to find equal paying work in another field. Also the job itself is stressful at times, and as long as you're able to separate airplanes your coworkers and the agency will overlook personality defects to a great extent because training your replacement takes too long.

I don't know what I'd do if I had to leave ATC, but I'm certain my pay would be lower by at least half.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Most errors are processed in house and sent up to national for review and stat tracking.

We have a safety reporting program that excuses us from punitive measures for honest mistakes.

Much of the time, not a lot happens to controllers. I work with some pretty bad ones.

Something egregious, like an accident or anything that the media gets a hold of, could result in retraining, decertification, or termination. I just haven't seen it happen.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 7, 2014

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Stupid Post Maker posted:

Going on the second month of aerial survey and I've been enjoying it quite a bit. I've pretty much been in south Texas the entire time and it's nice not having a Chicago winter to deal with. So far I've been hanging around the Galveston and Corpus Christi areas, and am currently in Corpus.

Oh hi. If you guys had been in and out of TFP and CRP over the weekend I talked to you all several times. It's been fun vectoring the itinerants in between you guys. The maps with the labels really helped us plan around you. I hope most of us were cordial, and that you didn't have to deal with ol' marble-mouth too much.

It was nice working some traffic over the weekend for once. I think I had 15 planes or more at one point on Saturday afternoon. 5 or 6 of them were survey planes.

The weather was unbelievably nice.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Goetta posted:

Have any of you ATC guys had a chance to check this out yet: http://store.steampowered.com/app/270830/

I'm actually dorky enough to mess around on VATSIM from time to time, but I'm not paying $35 to do my job :)

Stupid Post Maker posted:

I'm in TFP right now, we're still working. You guys have been good to us, I haven't had any problems at all. We're almost done here but it looks like lovely weather the next couple of days then we'll have to do reflies at some point but shouldn't be here much longer. My tail number ends in 721 and you've probably talked to me at some point

Only part that's sucked about the job has been being away from the girlfriend, she's flying into corpus on Thursday for the weekend though

Ah neat, then yes I've definitely been speaking to you. I hope the weather cooperates for your gal's visit, it has been so nice these past few days. Not sure if you're staying in Ingleside or Corpus. The Lexington is worth a visit, and our aquarium is pretty nice. Waterstreet Oyster Bar does happy hour Tues-Thurs 4pm-7pm, though it was a better deal back before the big oil spill and oysters were half off during that special. They were supposed to start getting local oysters again this month, but I haven't noticed the market price go down yet.

If you or your girlfriend/coworkers have any interest in seeing the CRP ATC facility, let me know. It's super easy to make that happen.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Dolemite posted:

So ever since I took a few intro flights a while ago, I've never been able to shake the urge to go for my pilot's license. As a dude with a desk job, it'd be nice to hop in a plane and get away for the day. Just take off and enjoy a flight into the sunset. Or hell, jet off to a city that normally takes hours by car. Basically, a way to offset the boredom of work and my current life.

Thanks to my ADHD, I'm pretty much only eligible for the Sport Pilot license. And looking at my bank account, I could possibly begin flight training. But with my expenses and raising a kid, I don't want to commit flight training just yet. I'd hate to start the program, make good progress, then have to stop due to running out of money. I was looking at the web site for the school where I did my intro flights and found they offer financing for pilot training.

So, a few questions regarding both the Sport Pilot license and pilot license financing:

-How common are the light sport airplanes that the SP license restricts you to? I'd hate to get the license and find that very few places offer SP eligible aircraft to rent!
-For anyone here that has a SP license, how long did it take you to get it? Since, well, it seems like a lot of flight schools tout how cheap their prices are for the program. But, if you look at the pricing, they're assuming that you'll get your license in the minimum amount of time the FAA requires.

-With pilot license financing, is it a good idea? Besides life things like losing a job, etc. making it hard to make the monthly payments, are there any other pitfalls of financing?
-The school that I'm considering offers a financing program. This section bugs me: "Please note that the example below is based off the maximum APR of 18%. If you qualify for a Preferred Interest Rate, your payments may be considerable lower."

Is it common to qualify for lower rates? My credit rating hovers between good and excellent, depending on which credit rating service you look at.

-If financing pilot training is, in fact, NOT a dumb idea, what is a good lender to go through? Are there alternatives to flight training specific lenders? (Your bank/credit union, etc.)
-What happens if the school were to go out of business after entering in to a financing program? Are you still on the hook for the entirety of the amount borrowed?

LSAs can be difficult to find for rent depending on location. The more populous your area, the more likely chance you'll find an option. Here in Corpus Christi, TX I'm not aware of any options with the flight schools. My old flight school in Waco, TX has a couple.

I think financing any luxury item is a bad idea. I do not recommend financing pilot ratings.

The other questions I can't speak to directly. I do want to ask though, you have no already been denied an airmen's medical, correct? You've never applied for one? If that's the case then definitely keep it that way. I just want to make sure you understand that if you apply for a medical and get rejected, it nixes your Sport Pilot option as well.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

chrisgt posted:

I've never seen anything that says ADHD precludes you from getting a medical, it just makes the procedure more of a pain. It probably wouldn't hurt to talk to an AME and see what they have to say about it. If they say you won't pass, that doesn't mean you failed... You never took a medical.

It requires a special issuance. Here are the requirements. The exams and tests are very expensive.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Hopefully isn't any more punitive than a check ride with an examiner and some recurrent training with a CFI/online modules/written material. If that.

I know the FAA is the big bad brother of certificate actions, but procedures are in place for ATC to assist VFR aircraft encountering instrument conditions. It's an expected service that we train for. It can happen to anyone.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Awesome. Are you flying out of NAS Kingsville? If so I will probably talk to your occasionally when you come over to Corpus.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
http://youtu.be/OVM3RRd1vf0

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

fordan posted:

"Hey, we can't get people to use WingX over Foreflight, maybe if we give it away free to CFIs they'll recommend it to their students!"

Apollo should get this. I bet it has a weight and balance function.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Rekinom posted:

So, wait, let's not do it because it's hard and you might not get picked?

Calm down. You made a good suggestion. I'm sure the guy who's looking into this sorta thing and asking for help in this thread will consider it. And, even if he doesn't decide to go your way, or gets rejected after trying, it doesn't reflect poorly on your personally.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
It is possible that the FAA will open up the doors for off the street hiring for ATC in March:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3608176&pagenumber=18#post440421391

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Rickety Cricket posted:

Question I went to get cleared up as I get closer to finishing IFR (one of many questions I'm sure I'll bring here).

Take the KGED VOR 4 approach : http://skyvector.com/files/tpp/1501/pdf/00935V4.PDF

I'm putting along from the NW, flying SE bound, and arrive at LAURY IAF. I fly direct to the waypoint, and turn right to track 233 outbound for a minute before making a >180 turn to track 053 inbound to the fix - aka a parallel entry. I arrive, again, at LAURY, now: do I depart LAURY heading 053 on the approach, having done my course reversal OR do I then turn left to track 233 and fly the entire racetrack before proceeding?

My instructor said once I do the course reversal and I'm on 053 inbound to the fix, even without having done the full racetrack yet, I can just proceed inbound. Just want to confirm this is correct?

The hold entry maneuver counts as your course reversal, you can proceed inbound after your hold entry maneuver.

EDIT: From the FAA Instrument Procedures Handbook, p. 5-39

quote:

The 45° procedure turn, the racetrack pattern (holding
pattern), the teardrop procedure turn, or the 80°/260°
course reversal are mentioned in the AIM as acceptable
variations for course reversal. When a holding pattern
is published in place of a procedure turn, pilots must
make the standard entry and follow the depicted pattern
to establish the aircraft on the inbound course.
Additional circuits in the holding pattern are not necessary
or expected by ATC if pilots are cleared for the
approach prior to returning to the fix.
In the event additional
time is needed to lose altitude or become better
established on course, pilots should advise ATC and
obtain approval for any additional turns. When a
teardrop is depicted and a course reversal is required,
pilots also must fly the procedural track as published.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 28, 2015

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

two_beer_bishes posted:

I asked my dispatcher wife to plug sba into her computer and she said the a320 would be "no sweat". fwiw

Longest runway is 6052ft. Seems tight for bigger aircraft, but it should be doable under certain weather and weights.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
"Caution Wake Turbulence"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8EwvDTJeNs

quote:

The pilot in this video was not hurt critically; he had some scrapes and bruises, was shook up, but basically came out of it in good condition. I spoke with him yesterday and he was happy to share his experience for the good of safety. This event took place at a non-controlled airport.

In the video, you can see that a Cirrus SR-20G2 aircraft was flipped on final by a Blackhawk helicopter’s downwash. The pilot of the Cirrus said that as soon as he realized that he was in turbulence he went to full power with ailerons and rudder full right, but to no avail, the turbulence forced him over and the wing tip struck the runway.

The Cirrus was on left downwind, heading South and about to turn base for a full stop landing, the helicopter was on the numbers. The helicopter pilot departed to the North, he also side-stepped to the parallel taxiway to get out of the fix-wing’s way. The winds were about 3kts at the time. What is truly remarkable is that the event happened ~28 seconds after the helicopter departed (the turbulence was still there).

While speaking with the pilot of the Cirrus he said that there was another similar incident a few years ago here in Colorado, he is sending me info on that and I will pass it on as well. In that situation a very high time Air Force Instructor pilot departed in a Diamond 20 and encountered the same issue, only it was ~75 seconds after the Black hawk had departed and was at 40ft on departure. I believe both in the Diamond were ok then as well.

Please pass this video on to others and discuss it with your students and fellow pilots.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 1, 2015

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

AWSEFT posted:

As for me I just finished PC12/47 /45 training!

I'm a big fan of those planes. Much bigger than you'd expect a single engine Tprop to be. I've observed them working at all sorts of speeds in the terminal environment. Some pilots whizz into the pattern at 200kts and dump everything out on a high base to final turn, looking like they're pointing waaay down on short final, hanging on the flaps. Other times I've seen them doing 60kts over the ground on 5 mile straight in ILS final. Seems like there are a variety of ways you can manage your flight profile in those things.

Always a gentle round out and flare, with a soft touch and a landing roll of less than 1,000ft. Maybe our local pilatus pilots are just badass/chronically lightly loaded.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Someone here in south Texas contributed a few coded flight plan route names. We have the WALKER, the ZOMBIE, the LEROY, and the JENKNS for our locally based Texan II Navy trainer squadrons. They aren't depicted on public charts but I had myself a goony laugh when I saw them for the first time.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

azflyboy posted:

There actually is a HIPSTR on one of the ILS's at PDX, but I'm kind of disappointed that a single fix name appears to be all the attention given to what's probably Portland's biggest export behind smug beer.

Found it, ILS RY 28L:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
The Navy guys around here get bent out of shape over BIGUY sometimes. They want to say it "Big Guy" and we'll often say it BI-GUY. Frankly I don't see a practical difference, they both sound pretty sexual to me, but then again my head is in the gutter.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Nooo they are not.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

MrChips posted:

KLIT is real, but I've yet to hear confirmation of the rumours about the existence of GSPOT...some say it's a final approach fix, while others claim it's an initial. WHO KNOWS?

They should totally establish it as a fix on an approach with a procedure turn. Then it could be both!

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I've seen so many documentaries on TV about UAL232 and read the NTSB report and that wikipedia page tens of times. I still have to sit down and read through it every time it's posted. The sequence of events is just so fascinating to me.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
The FAA publications are available for free, usually in both PDF and html forms from https://www.faa.gov

I wouldn't use expired publications. But you don't absolutely need your own paper copies of everything.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I forgot to mention. For the purposes of taking your PPL oral examination, having an up to date printed copy of the FAR/AIM, which you then bookmark with sticky tabs for the relevant sections, can be a great asset during the exam. This is the one I used:

http://tinyurl.com/k3kc4rw

After that, I've just utilized digital versions of everything. They're easier to search and you can put a copy on any device you own.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I always felt that way through ATC simulator scenarios. I know they don't want to waste time, but boy it'd be great to feel comfortable for a bit.

Then they crank up the difficulty again and again.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

overdesigned posted:

As long as we're on the subject of weird approach plates, gaze upon this beauty, which my friend found today:

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1503/00736HT1.PDF

That took me waaaay too long to figure out.

All of our HI-TACANs are simple holds with straight in segments.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 21, 2015

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
If he's using the G1000 then it's an HSI

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
The FAA opened their off-the-street Air Traffic Controller hiring announcement today.

Thread here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3608176

Job announcement here:
https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/398409000

Closes 3/27.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yeah and it's just a normal LOC approach, not a back course

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
It depends on the operator.

When you think about it, as long as you don't bust minimum altitude, it's perfectly safe. Those rules are entirely human-factor related. People can't be trusted to fly an approach to minimums then call it quits, so you have to mandate that they don't even try.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Well, even if they have RNAV en route capability, many lack the ability to do approaches.

A lot of Southwest's airplanes can't do RNAV approaches. Their -300 and -500 series aren't capable. They can still go Point-To-Point, fly RNAV SIDs/STARs and the like, they just can't fly approaches.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Only if it was unauthorized!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

hobbesmaster posted:

To be fair the first words from the emergency responders/crew/nav canada could easily have been something that confused them.

Minimum on the approach is 1SM regardless of whether it was the LOC or NDB or RNAV right?

LOC is 1SM visibility
NDB is 1 1/2SM visibility
RNAV is 1SM for LPV minimum, and 1 1/4SM for LNAV minimum.

LOC or NDB RWY 05:

RNAV Z RWY 05:

• Locked thread