Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

thehustler posted:

OK, so, not a pilot, but is there any way you can get the GPWS to feed into the autopilot and make it pull up on a terrain warning? Maybe you shouldn't be able to set altitudes as low as 100ft when you're not anywhere near an airport? Or in certain phases of flight you can't set "low" altitudes. Some sort of onboard terrain radar-map database thing?

I'm just spitballing based on a conversation on Facebook. Is any of this doable? And is it needed for what is a very rare occurance?

Definitely not needed. But, regardless, I think implementing something like this would require exclusion zones for areas around an airport, so it wouldn't always go off when you were on an approach. I'm thinking that with a likely configuration of this software, it would have been inhibited for the phase of flight anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Someone tell me how that Hawaii flight managed to land with a giant hole in it.

The hole wasn't on a critical lifting surface. I imagine the plane flew fairly controllably.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I dont understand how moving extremely fast through air works, but when I'm in my car going 100 km/h, even a tiny opening in the window feels like a blast. How did the convertable equivalent of a plane going at jet speeds, with paper thin walls, not just fly apart?

The hole was in an area of relatively static air pressure.

Ever notice parts on your car where the rain water doesn't blow off even at highway speeds? Much of the fuselage of a jet like that is a symetrical-ish tube. I'm sure it was windy, but it wasn't enough to destroy the remainder of the airframe.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Was there RVR for the runway they used? It needs to be for the runway you're conducting the approach to, correct?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/state/headlines/20150407-officials-try-to-shed-light-on-why-wichita-falls-runway-lights-were-off.ece

Check those Notices to Airmen, folks.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yeah but the significantly smaller, center runway, is still over 10,000ft long and 150 ft wide. It should have been fine.

Actually every runway there would have been fine except the closed one.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

SeaborneClink posted:

So it sounds like it's an uncontrolled airport at night, who issues the landing clearance, the approach controller? Wouldn't they have denied 33L and just offered another?

Unless they were just cleared for the approach and given "landing at your discretion"

When an airport is not towered, or the tower is closed, the ATC facility having IFR jurisdiction for that airport will issue approach and departure clearances only. Runway landing/takeoff clearances are not given (those may only be issued by a control tower). The aircraft self reports on the common traffic advisory frequency to coordinate their use of the runway with any other local traffic. ATC blocks the airport for IFR operations and waits for the flight crew to cancel their IFR flight plan before allowing other IFR operations to/from that airport, but it's not a landing clearance.

If the approach being made is a visual approach, then ATC won't even know which runway the aircraft is going to use, as the visual approach clearance is to the airport overall.

If a specific instrument approach clearance is given (and it normally should not be given to a closed runway) the aircraft may still circle to land on another runway at the airport.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 9, 2015

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

hjp766 posted:

Anyone have a copy of all the notams. To sidestep must be visual or specific published sidestep minima. Only 15C & 15R could be used instantly under our regulations without doing landing calculations. The rest are too short (we have a crazy high factorisation for safety.)
EDIT: I jumped the gun on this post thinking I'd have no trouble finding historical NOTAM data but I'm still looking.

quote:

KSPS 060252Z AUTO 16012KT 5SM BR OVC008 14/12 A2988
KSPS 060352Z AUTO 15015KT 5SM BR OVC007 14/12 A2987
KSPS 060452Z AUTO 15012KT 5SM BR OVC006 14/13 A2988
KSPS 060552Z AUTO 16014KT 5SM BR OVC005 14/13 A2987
KSPS 060652Z AUTO 16011KT 3SM BR OVC004 14/13 A2985
KSPS 060752Z AUTO 18010G17KT 3SM BR OVC004 14/13 A2985
KSPS 060852Z AUTO 17009KT 5SM BR OVC004 15/14 A2984
KSPS 060952Z 17008KT 4SM BR OVC004 15/14 A2984
KSPS 061033Z 16008KT 5SM BR OVC005 16/15 A2984
KSPS 061052Z 15009KT 6SM BR BKN005 OVC010 16/15 A2983
KSPS 061152Z 15009KT 6SM BR OVC008 16/15 A2982
KSPS 061252Z 13006KT 4SM BR OVC007 16/15 A2983
KSPS 061352Z 13008KT 4SM BR OVC006 17/16 A2984
KSPS 061452Z 15009KT 5SM BR OVC005 18/17 A2985
KSPS 061552Z 16009KT 8SM OVC008 20/17 A2986

Looks like straight in weather to me, and I'm not sure if ExpressJet allows circling anyway. You fly something much larger than a regional jet correct? And that's interesting about non-towered airports in Europe.

Here's an update to that story at least:

http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/local-news/parties-continue-to-resolve-sundays-diverted-aircraft_63971981

quote:

He said based on their review, the pilots did not attempt to land on runway 15R which was closed over the weekend.

“Everything we have based on our review is that they were trying to land on 15C, which was the runway that was supposed to be open at that time,” Beem said. The review, he said, consisted of collecting technical data as well as statements from the pilots.

This makes sense really. If 15R was closed, then ATC clearing the aircraft for the 15C approach makes sense. And the weather appears to have required an instrument approach be flown.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Apr 10, 2015

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Express Jet operates Embraer and Bombardier regional jets.

According to the base representative, the center runway and approach lights were set on. I'm getting curious to see where this investigation goes.

Would be nice for the flight crew if their names get cleared.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Why would TACAN azimuth be required? I see the note on the chart. I just don't get the reason.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
But you don't need an overlay if final approach guidance is provided by the primary NAVAID right? You should still be able to use RNAV/GPS for the arc and fix identification, you just wouldn't be able to use it for final approach course guidance (which is fine because there's a perfectly good localizer for that).

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Full disclosure, I'm not instrument rated and I'm basically blowing all of this out my rear end. I'm just regurgitating stuff I've read on the AOPA forums because I've seen the topics come up so often.

...Which also means what I DO know about the IFR system is usually limited to part 91 operations and may not be applicable to air taxi/air carrier operations like the ExpressJet incident.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Well let's see if I get lucky. I'm betting on the airport management not having the lights turned on and that's the reason for this whole mess.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

hobbesmaster posted:

Did it have one of those click the mic to turn on systems? You think they disabled the system instead of just turning off that runway?

Pilot controlled lighting isn't available to that runway. The lights should have been pre-set to medium intensity.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

hjp766 posted:

The tracks inbound to the arc and the hold is predicated on a tacan radial... we cannot display that so cannot navigate with it. We can, however, use the dme, so without an open control tower and approach control to provide alternate vectors and go around instructions I would politely say get knotted.

Well ok but you're the one diverting because you filed to an airport with an approach you can't fly. This is trending back toward pilot error if so. Boy I wonder if they'll ever release the results of this investigation to the public because I'm getting really curious.

So the FMS/INS/GPS can't be used for those segments right? It just doesn't compute to me how you can have a procedure called ILS or LOC/DME that's not flyable without TACAN. Maybe the government chart needs to be amended.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 12, 2015

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
United 737 off the runway at Houston's Intercontinental Airport today.

http://abc13.com/news/plane-skids-off-the-runway-at-iah/655063/#videoplayer

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
An FAA Examiner is a bit overkill for an endorsement yeah?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
FAA proposing to shut down several instrument approach procedures throughout the US:

http://tinyurl.com/lmx87xk

Those affecting my home state of Texas:

code:
TX 	BOWIE MUNI 	                        0F2 	NDB RWY 35.
TX 	ABILENE RGNL 	                        ABI 	NDB RWY 35R.
TX 	ALICE INTL 	                        ALI 	VOR-A.
TX 	WHARTON RGNL 	                        ARM 	VOR/DME-A.
TX 	JACK BROOKS RGNL 	                BPT 	VOR RWY 12.
TX 	JACK BROOKS RGNL 	                BPT 	VOR/DME-D.
TX 	JACK BROOKS RGNL 	                BPT 	VOR-A.
TX 	JACK BROOKS RGNL 	                BPT 	VOR-B.
TX 	JACK BROOKS RGNL 	                BPT 	VOR-C.
TX 	BROWNSVILLE/SOUTH PADRE ISLAND INTL 	BRO 	VOR/DME RNAV OR GPS RWY 35.
TX 	BROWNWOOD RGNL 	                        BWD 	VOR RWY 17.
TX 	BAY CITY MUNI 	                        BYY 	VOR/DME-A.
TX 	C DAVID CAMPBELL FIELD-CORSICANA MUNI 	CRS 	VOR/DME-A.
TX 	C DAVID CAMPBELL FIELD-CORSICANA MUNI 	CRS 	VOR/DME-B.
TX 	DALLAS/FORT WORTH INTL 	                DFW 	VOR RWY 13R.
TX 	DALLAS/FORT WORTH INTL 	                DFW 	VOR RWY 31L.
TX 	DALHART MUNI 	                        DHT 	VOR RWY 17.
TX 	DEL RIO INTL 	                        DRT 	NDB RWY 13.
TX 	DEL RIO INTL 	                        DRT 	VOR/DME-B.
TX 	DEL RIO INTL 	                        DRT 	VOR-A.
TX 	DENTON MUNI 	                        DTO 	NDB RWY 18.
TX 	KERRVILLE MUNI/LOUIS SCHREINER FIELD 	ERV 	NDB RWY 30.
TX 	WICHITA VALLEY 	                        F14 	VOR/DME-C.
TX 	GRANBURY RGNL 	                        GDJ 	VOR/DME-A.
TX 	EAST TEXAS RGNL 	                GGG 	NDB RWY 13.
TX 	ARLINGTON MUNI 	                        GKY 	VOR/DME RWY 34.
TX 	SCHOLES INTL AT GALVESTON 	        GLS 	VOR RWY 14.
TX 	MAJORS 	                                GVT 	VOR/DME RWY 17.
TX 	NORTH TEXAS RGNL/PERRIN FIELD 	        GYI 	NDB RWY 17L.
TX 	NORTH TEXAS RGNL/PERRIN FIELD 	        GYI 	VOR/DME-A.
TX 	WILLIAM P HOBBY 	                HOU 	VOR/DME RWY 30L.
TX 	WILLIAM P HOBBY 	                HOU 	VOR/DME RWY 35.
TX 	WILLIAM P HOBBY 	                HOU 	VOR/DME RWY 04.
TX 	WILLIAM P HOBBY 	                HOU 	VOR/DME-E.
TX 	VALLEY INTL 	                        HRL 	VOR/DME RWY 17R.
TX 	VALLEY INTL 	                        HRL 	VOR/DME RWY 35L.
TX 	SAN MARCOS MUNI 	                HYI 	NDB RWY 13.
TX 	SKYLARK FIELD 	                        ILE 	VOR-A.
TX 	MIDLAND AIRPARK 	                MDD 	VOR/DME RWY 25.
TX 	MC ALLEN MILLER INTL 	                MFE 	VOR RWY 13.
TX 	MC ALLEN MILLER INTL 	                MFE 	VOR RWY 31.
TX 	ODESSA-SCHLEMEYER FIELD 	        ODO 	NDB RWY 20.
TX 	PORT ISABEL-CAMERON COUNTY 	        PIL 	VOR-A.
TX 	PALESTINE MUNI 	                        PSN 	VOR/DME RWY 18.
TX 	DALLAS EXECUTIVE 	                RBD 	VOR RWY 31.
TX 	RUSK COUNTY 	                        RFI 	VOR/DME-A.
TX 	SUGAR LAND RGNL 	                SGR 	VOR/DME-A.
TX 	SULPHUR SPRINGS MUNI 	                SLR 	VOR-A.
TX 	SHEPPARD AFB/WICHITA FALLS MUNI 	SPS 	NDB RWY 33L.
TX 	SHEPPARD AFB/WICHITA FALLS MUNI 	SPS 	VOR-D.
TX 	LA PORTE MUNI 	                        T41 	NDB RWY 30.
TX 	COLLIN COUNTY RGNL AT MC KINNEY 	TKI 	VOR/DME-A.
TX 	DRAUGHON-MILLER CENTRAL TEXAS RGNL 	TPL 	VOR RWY 15.
TX 	TYLER POUNDS RGNL 	                TYR 	VOR/DME RWY 22.
TX 	HUNTSVILLE MUNI 	                UTS 	VOR/DME-A.
Won't be terribly sorry to see the Brownsville VOR/DME RNAV OR GPS RWY 35 go away. The airspace in Mexico required to fly that approach is difficult to coordinate.

Don't know why they'd get rid of McAllen's VOR approaches though. The MFE VOR is part of the airway structure and it's still used every day to get around military airspace in South Texas. The VOR is likely staying, I guess they're saying that there isn't an advantage to keeping the procedures flight checked and up to date.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 13, 2015

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Bob A Feet posted:

Those approaches were my savior during flight school, Ferret! We did them so often that you practically had them memorized. Not to mention that you Corpus/Valley controllers are total grandpas.

My best graded flights in flight school no poo poo happened in local patterns.

Except that goddamn LOC BC 35 at Harlingen. That one can go away. We had a requirement to do a back course every few flights. Winds never favor that one and the next closest is College Station. So when you guys were able to get it we'd come howling in with a tail wind to a circle maneuver. Not fun.

There is a back course at Brownsville too. But it was difficult to do opposite direction for a time yeah.

I've seen flight crews gently caress up back course approaches in amazing ways. They're awful.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 15, 2015

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
You guys have the benefit of being able to turn the HSI "upside down." Imagine the poor saps flying with an OBS. It's backwards no matter how much you flip it around.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
The back course at Harlingen, previously mentioned, is adjacent to a group of antennas 1500ft tall. Nothing quite like clearing an aircraft for the approach then watching them crank it over 90 degrees toward their imminent demise.

I pooped a little. A lot.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
He'd expressed his intent to do this last year and was interviewed by secret service. This news article has more information about his plan (which started last year) and the contents of the letters he sent to congressmen.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/elections/ruskin-mailman-tries-flying-to-capitol-in-gyrocopter-to-deliver-campaign/2225584

Can't believe they didn't see it coming.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

MrYenko posted:

Brighter side: the FSDO guys let us up on the upper deck of their office for the airshow. Working for the man has its perks.

I got to watch an air show at AFW - Fort Worth Alliance Airport from the roof of the control tower once, because of such perks. There's an attic hatch on the ceiling of the control tower cab that gets you access to the roof. Best view at the airport.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

hjp766 posted:

And it put us in discretion on a Level 2 Exemption!

What's that mean?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
So, you get a discretion on a level 2 exemption for your carrier certificate when you compromise the internal security of the aircraft operating environment by violating the common contract of carriage that the passenger implicitly agrees to with the airline? It's a UK thing?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Oh. I thought that was only for flights under 500nm. Ignore me.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

CBJSprague24 posted:

I got a Facebook group invite today to support a Bill to "Change FAA Hiring". Figuring it had to do with 1500, I took a look, only to learn that (and I later read bits and pieces in the ATC thread) the FAA threw out CTI-trained applications and launched the "Take a Questionnaire to see if You Can Be A Controller!" survey? :wtc:

What political genius with an aim of Improving Safety In Our Skies Through Doing The Strangest Thing Possible figured THAT was a good idea? It sounds like they want to be more diverse, but just giving the finger to people who put in all that effort? :psyduck:

Pilots: You need specialized training from approved FAA programs to even THINK of sitting in a regional jet after Colgan!
ATC: You needed specialized training from approved FAA programs, but we changed our minds. Sorry!

Yep, they made their own approved college programs redundant starting with last year's open ATC hiring announcement. The one this year that just closed was the same. The questionnaire excludes a huge number of applicants before they even get a chance to take the written/practical exam. It has excluded prior FAA Controllers from returning to the agency.

It's bad times. And those who paid money to go to ATC College are left with tossing their name into the same hat as anyone else.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

hobbesmaster posted:

Isn't that 100% airframe though? If you want an airline job afterwards to get the hours wouldn't you have to fly a 707, P-3/8, C-17, C-130 or C-5?

True that not all airframes are created equal. However, all that stuff falls under "multi-engine turbine" time and that's what counts.

Though I heard F18 pilots have some extra work to do to get experience in non centerline thrust aircraft. Dunno if that's true.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

The Slaughter posted:

Clarity Aloft tempting as gently caress as always too.

Have you tried any minimalist wire frame headsets before? There's something really liberating about not having a full ear cup and fat headband. I use the QT Halo headset (not TSO) and it's just so amazing. I almost forget I'm wearing it, except the microphone tickles my beard.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Captain Apollo posted:

PILOT SHORTAGE

Refers to height of the pilot.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
A friend of mine took me up today in his Aeronca Champ for an unusually pretty flight around Corpus Christi. I say unusual because it's always so grey, hazy, and murky here.

It was hot, but got comfortable almost immediately after lifting off.

Anyway, I'm apparently a decent stick for taxi, takeoff, and maneuvers, but I need a lot of work before I'll fully grasp this landing business. Boy things can get squirrelly in a hurry.

Anyway it was nice out

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Two Kings posted:

Kids couldn't be less interested in learning to fly airplanes these days. The piloting profession is screwed.

Kids these days. Rabble rabble.

I'm 30 and have to listen to that kind of bullshit from old washed up controllers at my job. I'm a kid.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

13 year old girls posted:

I live right in the backyard of a mostly GA airport (KLWM) and they offer flight school in a Cessna 172 with a first flight for $99. Additionally, the airport has IFR should I want to also get instrument rated at some point down the line. This all sounds really good to me but I'd like to save up money for a little while before I dive into getting my PPL. Is there anything I should be doing in the meantime now that I've decided flight school is a Cool and Good thing for me? I would never ever venture so far as to misrepresent a video game, but I've flown flight plans to and from the airport in a 172SP in FSX so many times. Should I be reading a bunch of handbooks and flight guides like posted in the OP or are there other resources I should be taking advantage of in the meantime?

Even a "Yup, the OP is pretty comprehensive" would suffice if that's the answer. I'm excited and eager to start. I'm 19, if that has any effect on what my approach should be.

Read these:

Airplane Flying Handbook

Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge

Student Pilot Guide

Supplement with these as needed:

Aeronautical Information Manual

Aviation Weather Advisory Circular

If you like sims do this:

PilotEdge Training Courses (pay for service, paid controllers, some with real world experience)

or this:

VATSIM ZLA Pilot Certification (same as above but on the free network of hobbyist/volunteer controllers)

13 year old girls posted:

I've been listening to the LiveATC feed for the tower but this airport really only sees about seven or eight departures and arrivals a day, so it's not always convenient to tune in and listen around the times when those planes cross into the airspace. From what I've gathered on the skyvector VFR chart, it's Boston VFR Class D airspace with a ceiling of 2600 feet. Anyone wanting to pass through that space above the ceiling needs to contact Boston APP on 124.4. There's a VOR-DME just northeast of the airport. These things all sound like stuff I've vaguely heard mentioned over the radio, I guess I'll just have to tune in more often.

More specifically the Boston class Bravo airspace doesn't start until just south of LWM airport, and then only between 4,000ft and 7,000ft. You can get in and out of there without messing with Boston at all (at 3,500ft in that shelf, for example), but I expect your flight training will involve calling them for services at some point (though it doesn't have to). Also, if you needed to get into the Manchester airspace to the Northwest you'd be looking at talking to Boston Approach.

EDIT: Here's a handy guide written by an active AOPA member about ATC communications for VFR aircraft

I notice the author included links in the images for skyvector charts, but had some fixes loaded into his flight plan window on skyvector when he created them. Oops. The links still point to the right places, just with superfluous airports in the flight plan window.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 10, 2015

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Military fields also have a lot of custom language that they use on agreement with the local FAA facility, so be careful not to pick up any bad habits. KDVT - Deer Valley is an incredibly busy GA airport, and there's probably a decent feed of the Phoenix Approach sector that deals with VFR aircraft (if they even bother, I heard they were pretty bad about it in the past).

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

PT6A posted:

Weight makes a huge, huge difference for performance for every aircraft, and every pilot should figure that out through observation no later than their first solo.

Assuming you're not too nervous to notice. The plane flies so much better without that other guy in the right seat.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

PT6A posted:

If you don't notice at some point during your first circuit, you're probably going to need to go around on account of being several hundred feet too high on final.

If you don't flub that first landing in some way, you waited too long to solo.

Half the experience is the terror. Good stuff.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Hauldren Collider posted:

Hi, I'm currently working on getting a private pilot's license. Just a few questions:

1. Headsets--my instructor says at some point I'm probably going to want my own headset. Given the condition of the rental headsets, he's probably right. What's a reasonable price for a headset for a student pilot? Any particular recommendations? I've heard the big brands are David Clarke, Bose and Sennheiser, but I'm wondering if there is some important difference between the three. I have a couple pairs of Sennheiser headphones I like a lot but I imagine there's a world of difference between headphones for your iPod and headsets for your airplane.

I've used a QT Halo headset for several years and I don't think I'll ever go back to an over/around-the-ear design again. The in-ear, light frame design is just too damned comfortable. The passive noise reduction is plenty for flying around in little Cessnas or whatever, and sunglasses or regular glasses fit over them no problem. Plus, if you fly in a warm climate (I'm in South Texas), not having your head and ears insulated so much really helps with comfort. I love them.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
For me it's preferable to the alternative of external ear pain, heat retention, and the clamping force of the headband. But folks are VERY particular about their ears and preference varies greatly.

I use an in-ear headset all day at work so I'm used to it. It's not as comfortable as wearing NOTHING on my ears, but it's comfortable enough for me.

My ears aren't sore after a day of work or a day of flying and that's worth a lot.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Rolo posted:

This. Regardless of the ANR, my Bose headset is the only headset I've ever owned that doesn't make my head hurt after 2 hours of wearing it. Plus my ANR doesn't take the engine noise out of the equation, it just takes some of the hum volume out. I can still hear pitch changes in the engine just fine, and would hear problems no sweat.

As for drone talk (woo!), I got my first call from ATC yesterday that someone was flying a drone in the practice area pretty high up. Requiring a transponder makes me roll my eyes, but maybe just have a small, more detailed, list of regulations, places and times to not use a drone? Like maybe just put a small amount of effort into thinking about what really is feasible?

What are you really asking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Hauldren Collider posted:

Had another flying lesson today. I have never used cocaine but I can't imagine it being more addicting than this.

Has anyone ever actually found water after doing fuel sumping? I'm not going to skip it but I'm curious how often impurities actually happen.

Several times. Found water on my most recent flight on the second leg. It's super obvious when it happens, so if you haven't had someone demonstrate it for you don't worry. It's like oil and water in a glass.

You probably know this already but always sniff, examine, and feel the fuel sample too. If you get one with ALL water and compare it to a blue sky you may be less likely to notice it.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 21, 2015

• Locked thread