Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I would assume so as well.

Anything else seems super insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yeah seems like a really dumb idea.

But now I have an answer to thehustler's runway naming question. It won't be named, because it won't exist, because these guys are morons.

I'll just take my medicine if they actually build that stupid thing.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Probably where the poors live.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Rolo posted:

Is "starting a tag" basically saying he gets a number wherever he lands?

He is referring to assigning a label to an otherwise unlabeled radar target for the purpose of monitoring their movement until they land.

A lot of the time, we'll "tag them up" with a name like "WATCH" or "VIOL8R" or something.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yeah if you don't want to get violated over things you have no control over, you're better off just staying on the ground.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
We could do a much better job of disseminating information in the US. The systems are all so antiquated and inconsistent.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
If you got a denial on your medical you should really get professional help immediately to rectify the issue. Some things can be time critical and you can screw yourself even worse inadvertently by not following specific protocol.

I recommend https://www.aviationmedicine.com or Dr Chien on the AOPA forums.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
You're likely spending most of your time in Class E airspace and you do need to follow cruising altitude rules. But yeah I agree in general about using outside reference to hold altitude and course. Also, cruising altitude for direction of flight begins at 3000AGL. So be careful down low. Where I work, everyone is at 2500-3500MSL and the congestion is crazy.

Speaking of altitudes. The holidays are nearly here, and people who shouldn't be flying are dusting off their headsets and taking to the sky. Yesterday the local altimeter setting was 30.63. Which is pretty drat high. As ATC, I had 7 different aircraft confirm to me that they were flying with altimeter settings of 30.16. Pay attention folks. Some of these I caught on initial contact, some were handed to me by other controllers that failed to notice the reported altitude discrepancies while the aircraft was climbing to an assigned altitude.

Either way, everyone should know better. Yesterday was a harsh reminder that our pilot population is aging.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 20, 2016

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Animal posted:

Have you been drinking?

Well. He IS an aviation professional.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

rldmoto posted:

Hello goons, I'm building a Rans S20. I purchased the entire kit, and thus far only the wings are complete. If anyone wants to talk about kit planes, I'm down.

Don't forget to check out the home built thread also, though it's not very active.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474976

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Appendectomies don't permanently disqualify you, I don't see why you'd mess with hiding such a basic surgery.

You won't lose your medical if you get your wisdom teeth pulled either, jfc.

I'm all for guarding your personal information but why risk losing it all over stuff that's not even disqualifying.

If you're flying for work, follow your union or company guidelines. If not, self ground until recovered and off medication for a long enough time, and report it on the next medical application.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 14, 2017

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
The ATC manual says:

quote:

NOTE−
After accepting a clearance for an offset PRM approach, pilots must remain on the offset approach course until passing the offset approach MAP prior to alignment with the runway centerline. Between the offset approach MAP and the runway threshold, the pilot of the offset approach aircraft assumes visual separation responsibility from the aircraft on the straight-in approach, which means maneuvering the aircraft as necessary to avoid the straight in approach traffic until landing, and providing wake turbulence avoidance, if necessary

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Here's a couple of videos from the FAA about PRM approaches:

Air Carrier Video

General Aviation Video

AIM 5-4-16 goes into it as well.

The air carrier video talks about the offset approaches beginning here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20z1mpSg2zE&t=847s

Here's the Attention All Users Page referencing Chicago O'Hare specifically:

https://skyvector.com/files/tpp/1701/pdf/00166PRMAAUP.PDF

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 24, 2017

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Double posting because the more I read about PRMs and SOIAs, the less I understand about Chicago's setup.

10R and 10C aren't 3,400ft apart, so the offset approach course is required on 10R. However, the minima for that approach is still 250ft AGL, which is pretty low and doesn't seem to afford any reasonable amount of visual maneuvering space, or opportunity to get 10C traffic in sight. So for whatever reason, it seems Chicago can run these approaches independently, meaning 10C and 10R traffic can operate abeam eachother, or one could overtake the other, without issue. That isn't really what's described in the video I linked above for SOIAs, which seems to say that 10R traffic would need to be placed slightly behind 10C traffic to allow for visual acquisition.

The charting notation on these approach plates is inconsistent too. Sometimes the offset angle is listed in the blank margins of the planview, sometimes it's located within the navaid ID box for the localizer. None of them contain the distance between the runways, which the video said would be included.

Regardless, pilots are expected to remain on a cleared instrument approach procedure until the missed approach point, even if visual contact is made with the ground/runway, so the guidance to continue the approach to the MAP is still valid. I'm asking my buddy who works Chicago approach about what exactly is going on there, since I'm curious. At DFW all of our runways are far enough apart that we do simultaneous parallel operations, no need for offsets.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 24, 2017

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I've watched our (DFW's) towers issue incredibly long taxi instructions with restrictions and the flight crews read it back with astounding accuracy.

I issue a heading and an altitude and I get "uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" while they sail through the localizer into parallel traffic.

Seriously, though, kudos to you guys for being on the ball when taxiing. Stuff goes bad quickly on the ground when you're dealing with multiple runway crossings and intersecting/opposite direction ground traffic.

I witnessed an interesting thing a while back while working as a Final Monitor during triple ILS operations. We have to monitor the tower frequency for our runway so we can override if one of our planes deviates off the ILS. The tower controller was having a hard time getting aircraft to cross the runway while landing traffic was holding short of a point prior to the intersection (LAHSO in effect). DFW has Runway Status Lights which automatically show bright red "stop bars" when a runway is occupied or about to be occupied, advising other aircraft not to enter the runway. The pilots are supposed to obey the status lights over an ATC instruction. But, when LAHSO is in effect, I'm not sure this logic works properly. The tower was having aircraft backed up waiting to cross this landing runway because nobody would taxi on to it with red stop lights flashing at them.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 25, 2017

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Neat, I work at Regional Approach so I don't usually talk to you guys, but I see you scurrying around all over the place when you're talking to the towers in the area.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Putting a plane back like that should be criminal, not just because of the repair cost dodging.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
You should be applauded for your decision making. We don't get to talk often enough about people who turn around.

Instead we talk far too often about people who don't.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Flight service is looking for the ambient outside air temperature for a PIREP, so whatever doo-dad you guys have up there that tells you something close to OAT is preferable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

e.pilot posted:

Seriously, what is the deal with pilots and Fox News. :iiam:

I don't think it's that hard to see the reason.

• Locked thread