Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If you just put an "l" (that's lowercase L) at the end of the filename before the .jpg it creates a large thumbnail. Alternatively when you're in the imgur interface there is a link to do so in the bottom right. Here you go. :)

quote:

I'm at King Leo's. Mainly flying the 206 for the moment and probably start doing the 210 early next year too!

Here's some pics of the strips we go in to.
This lovely spot is Cape Leveque. About 800m long, it's narrow and does have a bit of slope on it. Super soft sand on the sides and trees are very close by.

This one is lots of fun. It's about 600m usuable and that tree you can see in the distance sits right on centerline.

I'm lucky enough to see some great sights when I'm out flying on the scenic tours. Check out The Horizontal Falls.

Spotted this in the waters of the King Sound.

Was great to cross off the Bungle Bungles from my bucket list too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
An airplane built in Canada, an also one that serves many locations in Alaska. Well, I don't know about your particular one, but in general. Alaska's website doesn't distinguish between them and Horizon anymore so you can't tell which one is which. I was kind of curious what kind of planes they use to fly for each.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/route-map.aspx

According to Wikipedia, the Adak to Anchorage route is served by a 737-400C.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Somebody send Kai Tak videos to CNN please.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

two_beer_bishes posted:

Oops! When I worked for a catering company at jfk, someone at a different company hopped out of their van that was still in gear and was headed for an Emirates A380. One of our drivers managed to run after it and stopped it in time. UAE ended up giving him round trip airfare to Dubai as a thank you.

Knocking out an A380 would cost a LOT of money...yikes. That other one looks like a regional jet, thankfully.

The Slaughter posted:

Telephoto lens distortion

It's still quite steep.

Did anybody else read about the fact that the A400M crash was likely due to a software error killing 3 out of 4 engines at 400 feet?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Seville_A400M_crash

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

dev null posted:

I mean like, the fence though. Taxiway vs. service road is almost understandable, but running head on into a fence?

The left wing clipped the fence and spun the plane around into the fence. See a few posts up.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

The Ferret King posted:

The air traffic system in the U.S. is largely pavement-limited. So, any opportunity to use more pavement is a welcome one. Just have to stagger everything to prevent the obvious meet-in-the-middle of the runways risks.

Winds and other weather can preclude using certain runway configurations, or certain simultaneous parallel operations, so that's just one of many reasons that delays go sky-high when the weather gets crummy.

Topically, fog is big pain for San Francisco as you lose your parallel runways, etc.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Inhofe is a horrible person in any context.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Do iPads ever crash?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

PT6A posted:

Apparently a 777 got diverted to my local airport today after severe turbulence injured anywhere between 8 and 20 people. Presumably because nothing's going on, media has been all over it, and it seems like all the passengers have de-planed and cleared customs in Calgary and are presumably staying here for a while. If the plane wasn't damaged in the turbulence, why wouldn't it just continue on to its original destination (YYZ in this case) once the injured passengers had been taken off? Is there some sort of legal reason? I can't imagine finding accommodation and booking new flights for 300 passengers will be cheap, and I can't imagine the passengers who were doing as they were supposed to by obeying the seatbelt light (which was on at the time of the incident) want to have their travel plans disrupted any further.

EDIT: Never mind, I've seen pictures and it looks like the oxygen masks deployed and the cabin looks like a horrendous mess. I failed to consider that the interior could be pretty hosed up even if the plane is still mechanically sound.

EDIT 2: A tiny part of me wants to see passengers get injured for failing to obey crewmember instructions, though... does that make me a bad person?

Are you autistic?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Kesper North posted:

It'll never happen, this is the same city that built an airport light rail station that requires riders to walk a quarter mile in the cold to get to the terminal :v:

Seriously why did they do that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Kesper North posted:

Only poors use public transit so they don't want to spend money on it. (At least I assume that's why.) It's dumb as gently caress.

quote:

It boils down to – cost, airport operations, City of SeaTac land use plans and system speeds.

We initially looked at an option to put the station above the pedestrian bridges from the garage to the terminal. High costs, major construction and potential operational impacts to airport access and the tight curves into and out of that area sunk those plans. The Port also will need to expand the terminal at some point and we can’t be in the way of that.

We’ve also always had our eye on S. 200th and beyond. Tossing in what amounts to a side spur to get closer to the terminal door adds travel time going south or continuing north.

Which brings us to the City of SeaTac. They had a strong interest in the station serving the areas to the east of the airport. At the time, SeaTac had plans for a new “city center” in the area just east of the station. While those plans may be on hold, the station is still able to effectively serve SeaTac and the surrounding area better than it could if it were tucked against the terminal.

We think our location serves airport travelers’ needs very well. It’s the second busiest station on the entire line with almost 3 million people passing through last year…

[The port] couldn’t fit a moving sidewalk into the garage without impacting traffic flow on the floor below the walkway.
http://seattletransitblog.com/2013/07/05/the-walk-from-seatac/

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Butt Reactor posted:

Adding one more reason to the "gently caress Seatac" list, getting a wind shear warning yesterday on final, so ending up going around and vectored for a very bumpy second try. At least I got adoring looks from the FAs for not crashing the plane...

I wonder what today is like.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CBJSprague24 posted:

With BRU still closed, Brussels Airlines (known as Sabena once upon a time) has had to get creative with keeping their operations rolling:

-RJ-100 flights operating to/from BRU are using Antwerp, with shuttle service to BRU.
-Most A319 & A320 flights are running from Liege, with shuttle service to BRU.
-A330 and other longhaul flights are operating from Frankfurt and Zurich to tie into Star Alliance connections from partner airlines, with connections to Antwerp from Zurich on RJ-100s and Frankfurt & Munich to Liege on Lufthansa.

http://crankyflier.com/2016/03/29/with-brussels-airport-still-closed-brussels-airlines-is-getting-creative/

That's good. I'm working on alternative transport from Amsterdam to Brussels for a family member. Delta / KLM offer to reroute you to Amsterdam, Paris, Luxembourg, or Dusseldorf if you have a ticket to Brussels. Don't know what they offer from there.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

e.pilot posted:

The train system is quite good to get around.

Yeah, that's what I've done.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CBJSprague24 posted:

Emirates is the only reason the A380 is still being produced apparently, and even that might not be enough: http://www.forbes.com/sites/richardaboulafia/2016/06/06/airbus-a380-the-final-countdown/#4e5c429e61b6

Fun fact: Emirates' systemwide load factor is 76.5%.

According to Wikipedia Emirates has 79 A380s. If they have an average of 540 seats and they were all flying at once they would have about 43 thousand people in the air at once. With the 117 777-300ERs that's another 44 thousand.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

They have another 63 A380s on order :P That is, if that are going to get made.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Could she have run out of fuel during that time?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KodiakRS posted:

Oh boy they're making a Sully movie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjKEXxO2KNE This is going to be hilarious.

Directed by Clint Eastwood.

EvilJoven posted:

I went up Tuesday with my instructor to practice short field work and again this morning to practice solo. When I got down my instructor said there's this thing called the Webster Memorial Trophy and I should really think about competing for it.

I googled it and basically he's telling me he thinks I have a shot at being recognized as the best amateur pilot in the country.

I appreciate the vote of confidence but still :stare:

Good luck.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is any of that trailer based on reality? I mean no doubt the dude faced some scrutiny and a lot of stress after the incident but, really.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

hobbesmaster posted:

Well, they did find that it might have been physically possible for an A320 to make "the impossible turn" but it could only be done in the simulator by a pilot that knew ahead of time when the engine would fail.

Also airbus test pilots are show offs.

quote:

In 1 of these 12 runs, a
-0.2° touchdown flightpath angle was achieved by an Airbus test pilot who used a technique that
involved approaching the water at a high speed, leveling the airplane a few feet above the water
with the help of the radar altimeter, and then bleeding off airspeed in ground effect until the
airplane settled into the water.
That sounds cool but I would be worried about hitting boat traffic. I haven't been to NYC in more than 20 years though but I presume that's a possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rolo posted:

I used to fly Pilots N Paws trips in a 206. Good friend with one just loved animals but was getting up there in age. He'd pay for the trip and I'd go move a plane-truck full of puppies to their new homes so they wouldn't be put down.

It taught me a little about flying, and a little about myself :clint:.

Thank you.

• Locked thread