Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
simble
May 11, 2004

Both work. Use what works best for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simble
May 11, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Think of earth as an enormous treadmill.

But if the Earth is a treadmill, how can any plane takeoff?!

simble
May 11, 2004

I'm glad that takeoffs equals landings in your logbook entry. Nicely done.

simble
May 11, 2004

I'm going to be that guy. Lurk more please.

simble
May 11, 2004

e.pilot posted:

myflightbook.com

This might be the best online logbook I've seen. Import was a breeze. I like this a lot. Thanks for this.

simble
May 11, 2004

A lot swear by these. They're not ANR, but if you're flying in loud things without AC these are nice and light:

https://www.quiettechnologies.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=1uco8cfl38rj0idkhipfh7p0i3

I love my Lighspeed Sierras (the slightly less feature-full version of the Zulus). They're slightly over your budget, but if you want ANR, I think these are the right way to go. Also Lightspeed's customer service is fantastic.

http://www.amazon.com/Lightspeed-SIERRA-ANR-Aviation-Headset/dp/B003VSARXI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418598731&sr=8-1

Prepare for a lot of religious arguments.

simble
May 11, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

(Yes I did build an ADS-B receiver for home use.)

Did you use an SDR? If so, which?

simble
May 11, 2004

I'm going to hazard a guess and say they were equipped to do the RNAV approach as well (which has lower minimums).

That weather still sucks. That last two being below minimums for both approaches I believe.

simble
May 11, 2004

:vince:

simble
May 11, 2004

I wonder what percentage of all scheduled carrier fleet aircraft in North America don't have GPS these days. Even though the LPV approach was still below minimums I think.

simble
May 11, 2004

http://www.kpho.com/story/29768179/storm-knocks-over-planes-at-chandler-airport

Planes into other planes, planes into buildings planes into other planes. Sadness fills my heart.

simble
May 11, 2004

I promise that they were tied down.

simble
May 11, 2004

Interesting, they corrected it to say millions but then changed it back to say thousands. Who knows... At least the reporter in the video is an actual pilot.

simble
May 11, 2004

3rd class which this would eliminate is around $85. The reason for getting rid of it is not the cost its that it's stupid. There's no proof that it improves safety.

simble
May 11, 2004

Gratz brah!

simble
May 11, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

My training is extend to 20 right before turn to base, 30 on base, full right after turn to final

Your training is just a guideline. You should practice landing at all flap settings (including none) and adjust based on wind speed. The higher the winds, the less flaps you should use.

simble
May 11, 2004

Definitely not. That's why people get lovely flying jobs after their training.

simble
May 11, 2004

Or just use Foreflight like a normal human being

simble
May 11, 2004

vessbot posted:

I never understood the answer memorization thing. It seems like as much effort as just learning the material.

It's not though. If you do enough practice tests (and you should do practice tests regardless of whether you want to learn everything or not) you will immediately recognize the question/answer pair as you go through the writtens.

It is dumb. I think they're changing out a bunch of questions and enlarging the question bank next month though. At least for some tests.

Disclaimer: FAA

simble
May 11, 2004

Cool acronyms bro...

simble
May 11, 2004

"This mother fucker and his mother loving book. Yes, I know what the regs say, but please, SHUT THE gently caress UP!"

How close am I?

simble
May 11, 2004

Pilotedge also has a free client you can download to listen to all of their traffic. The controllers are very professional. I think they're even paid to do what they're doing. They are very very close to the real thing.

simble
May 11, 2004

In Phoenix, the controllers seem perfectly content with:

"Phoenix approach, N12AB, vfr request"

or even

"Phoenix approach, N12AB"

then they want everything

"N12AB, Phoenix approach, go ahead" (or standby if they're busy)

"Phoenix approach, N12AB, over thunderbird lake, 3500, vfr flight following to prescott (or identifier if its less common) at 8500"

Then for completeness.

"N12AB, Phoenix approach, roger, squawk 1234 (ident optional)"
"N12AB, Phoenix approach radar contact over thunderbird lake <further instructions to get you across the bravo>"

I guess my point is that what a controller wants can vary from locale to locale or even controller to controller. Just get experience in your area and listen to what other pilots say on average. There will obviously be folks who talk too much and talk too little. There's no replacement for experience. If you want I'm sure the controller would appreciate in most cases if you told them that you're a solo student pilot so they at least have some expectations until you're more comfortable.

simble
May 11, 2004

Jesus loving christ.

loving idiot posted:

I was to work two 12 hour shifts only separated by 4 hours and 200 miles

This is where things went wrong.

simble
May 11, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

Retarded pilot. Full stop.

Fixed.

simble
May 11, 2004

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Very excited. Very nervous. But very excited!

It's cake man. Relax and enjoy it.

For content:

I have my 2nd BFR coming up on Sunday. I can't believe it's already been 4 years since I got my PPL. Flying owns. Especially when your wife's grandma who we visit frequently lives 115 miles away.

Our club also recently picked up a 1997 182S with every bell and whistle imaginable. Dual aspens, a Garmin 750 and a 430 and a 660, JPI 830 engine monitor, everything. There are so many screens in this cockpit.

simble fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 17, 2016

simble
May 11, 2004

simble posted:

I have my 2nd BFR coming up on Sunday. I can't believe it's already been 4 years since I got my PPL. Flying owns. Especially when your wife's grandma who we visit frequently lives 115 miles away.

Our club also recently picked up a 1997 182S with every bell and whistle imaginable. Dual aspens, a Garmin 750 and a 430 and a 696, JPI 830 engine monitor, everything. There are so many screens in this cockpit.

BFR taken care of. Good for cloud hole punching for 2 more years. This was a good one. It never fails that on a BFR everything happens differently and tries to throw you off. For example, I've been flying out of P19 in Chandler, AZ for the last 2.5 years, but not once have I had to take off to the north. It's 17/35 and the winds are either calm (I fly a lot in the morning), or they're a direct crosswind and in those situations you always take off on 17. Really threw me off my game, but everything else went smoothly.

I had yet to actually stall the 182 (lots of stalls in a 172), and the nose is a lot heavier in the 182 (obviously) and it breaks a lot harder.

Then the instructor asked me to do a short field takeoff. My brain froze at the hold short line, but then somehow I managed to find the file in my brain with the rote memorization from my PPL training. All available runway, flaps 10, full power, release brakes, Vx climb out.

All in all, super fun. I should go up with instructors more often. I get a bit nervous, but I always come away learning something. What I really need to do is start saving for my IFR and get on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simble
May 11, 2004

The PA-28-180 (Cherokee) and PA-28-235 (Dakota) make up my short list of airplanes I'm looking to buy right now.

The problem is that I _know_ I can afford the 180 and I'm only "pretty sure" I can afford a 235. A total brain vs heart decision and heart is currently winning.

• Locked thread