Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff

Used Sunlight sales posted:

There's no such thing as a bad day flying, you might have a negative learning experience, but if you're in an airplane it's a good day. If the airplane will fly again tomorrow, you had a great day.

Agreed. Especially when your autopilot is doing that weird snap roll thing again, and you have to fly through areas of moderate chop, and this will be the third time in a row you will have to MEL the same issue, and the passenger/patient on board is filling the air with the pleasant smell of vomit (which may or may not be related to the moderate chop).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff

MrChips posted:

Don't forget that all this happens while you're wearing a poopie suit because the patient has TB.

A 5.3 hour long direct leg is my record :unsmith:

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff

SCOTLAND posted:

Back onto reserve for November, the life of a pilot :smith:

At least you don't have to deal with the shitshow that are the Canadian regionals :haw:

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff

e.pilot posted:

Welp, time to move to Canada.

Hopefully you enjoy lugging it out in a Navajo hauling pop and chips to the middle of nowhere. This is of course assuming you can find a job after you do a cross-country road trip handing out resumes to all of the employers you come across.

Another thing to note about the Canadian ATPL is that Transport Canada recently changed the regulations with respect to time needed as a co-pilot. You used to only be able to count 50% of your co-pilot time towards your ATPLs. This changed earlier this year. As of now all co-pilot time can be logged 1 for 1 towards your ATPLs. Don't worry flight instructors, you can still meet all of the ATPL requirements bombing around in a 152 completing circuit after circuit! :haw:

See the following for more information about the change: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/opssvs/general-personnel-cop-1802.htm

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff

Sarrisan posted:

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I couldn't find it, so sorry in advance for newbie questions.

Being a pilot has easily been my dream since childhood. I gave up on it at one point as being unrealistic, but after kicking around in retail for 4 years I've decided that if I'm gonna have poo poo pay and poo poo hours I might as well be doing something awesome like flying an airplane.

I'm doing as much research as I can, but I was curious what goon's opinions were about career paths for getting into aviation. Should I start grinding my way up, license by license, or is there some program I should be looking for? Should I start saving my pennies for the next few years for flight lessons or can you get some sort of student loan?

Sorry if these are common questions, but there seems to be so much to take in that every bit of guidance is appreciated, and I'm paranoid about taking some wrong move which seems great at the moment but fucks me later.

Get your private license. Understand that you would have a much better quality of life and income in almost any other profession. If for some weird reason you still think you will die if you don't pursue flying as a career then go ahead and get your commercial license and other endorsements.

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff
Thanks to tiny frail wires it looks like my Quiet Technologies Halo headset will not last a second Arctic winter. Reading up on ANR headsets it looks like the best bang for your buck is the Lightspeed Zulu.2. Is there anyone who has experience with them in extremely cold weather? With build quality and noise attenuation being my highest priorities is there another headset I should be looking at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff
Thanks to everyone for the advice and suggestions. The DC Pro X originally caught my eye in the headset hunt but too many bad reviews had sent me looking elsewhere. Looks like I may have been too quick to discredit them. Helloooo DC 30 day return policy

• Locked thread