Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

MrYenko posted:

Most of my pilot buddies' emotional states most closely resemble that of battered wives. Basically happy, and the sex is amazing, but it could be even better if he would just stop punching me in the face at night.

Aviation Megathread | "Battered Pilot Safe Zone"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

Extra training is good, but the guy flew on this day with no instrument rating. That breaks some of the ADM training. They were predicting hail and possible tornadoes.

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

Agh, I've been so busy that I forgot to post this earlier.

There is a Kickstarter out there, from a company with a history of actually delivering documentaries, about Burt Rutan and his new Amphibian LSA Motorglider. They are about $2300 and 3 days away from making their stretch goals to help upgrade the quality of the equipment to mount to mount on the SkiGull.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/antennafilms/looking-up-way-up-the-burt-rutan-story

Entone fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 25, 2015

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

PT6A posted:

If you're hell bent on suicide, why take 149 innocent people with you, more like?

Off yourself if you really feel that's the thing to do, but gently caress you if you harm anyone else in the process.

It's like the person is mentally unstable or something...

If suicide is the case, god knows the pilot would of never seen a doctor about it when it was preventable due to the medical licensing system.

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

The Slaughter posted:

Kinda surprised my 2009 Lightspeed zulus appear to be only worth about $435-550 now based on Ebay. I have the QC15s and was thinking about getting a TSO'd uflymic. Although that lightspeed PFX looks nice, but I'm not sure I'll need as much noise cancelling going forward and I really want a lighter headset that takes up less room while travelling. Still, I think I only paid like $700 for the zulu so I guess if I sell it after 1500 hours for $500 that's not too bad on depreciation...
Clarity Aloft tempting as gently caress as always too.

That's really not bad for electronics depreciation. Have you looked at the Lightspeed Mach 1 with custom ear molds? I recently bought a refurbished set on ebay for around $225. They are horrible with the stock foam/rubber ear plugs, but with a set of custom ear plugs they equal out to about 30-40db of noise cancellation across most of the frequency spectrum. It's great if you wear glasses. Every other set I've tried felt like I had a vice clamp on my head. They even allow you to share music across the intercom with a 3.5mm input jack. As well as make calls off the mic and isolate a call to just your headset. The calls/music stop when you press the PTT.
edit: The custom ear molds cost about $150.

Entone fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 19, 2015

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

I ended up cutting the 2 hours of the flooding at Bergstrom down to about 8min. It starts with a ground stop and ends when they requested someone contact the national guard and to bring high water rescue equipment.

https://soundcloud.com/epicdistraction/kaus2-oct-30-2015-1430z-1600z

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

dexter6 posted:

I am thinking about going to Scottsdale with a friend for a week to do a "finish up" program on my PPL. I've been fighting bad weather, my schedule, and broken planes over the last year to log 35 hours and just hit my first solo.

Anyone have any experience with these programs in general? or specifically at SDL? Or with American Flyers? http://www.americanflyers.net/about/pilot_rating_finish_up.htm

I know a commercial pilot from the Addison school that liked the program.

With that said, they have an awful reputation in the Dallas area from other schools and instructors. I can't count on one hand the number of times they tried to kill me.

I've been over-flown by them on short final, they flew the opposite approach of traffic during my solo with more than five aircraft in the pattern, they flew above my aircraft at 500-700 ft separation when I was practicing turns around a point, more TIS alerts and advoidance manuvers than I can remember, and more!

How much more? Much more! Their plane shredded a tire on the taxiway at Addison, and they didn't see fit to tell anyone about the FOD. Routinely told other pilots while this may not be the standard (read: safe) way of doing things, but upholds FARs... This was over the radio... As well as more poo poo that Ive since forgotten, because it's been more than five years since I've flown in the Dallas area.

While most of this could be attributed to lovely students; it seems like it's their culture in the Dallas area. I haven't heard anything about the ksdl school.

• Locked thread