Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Thaumaturgic posted:

One of the first things my instructor told me was that the fuel quantity gauges legally only need to be accurate when the tanks are empty. I have no idea if this is actually true or not but that was enough to drive home how important it is to visually verify fuel quantity in each tank before take off. Some stupid high % of GA accidents are because of fuel exhaustion

That's an old wives' tale, about the fuel gauges only reading accurately when empty. That said, the sender units are likely to read zero when sitting at their minimum level, so it is trueish from an engineering perspective.

And yeah, the number I hear kicked around all the time is that something like 75% of GA accidents are as a result of fuel starvation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

MrChips posted:

And yeah, the number I hear kicked around all the time is that something like 7.5% of GA accidents are as a result of fuel starvation.

Missed a decimal point somehow, goddamnit. :doh:

See? That's how easy it is to start the chain of events leading to fuel starvation.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

PT6A posted:

Two United pilots were arrested at Glasgow airport for suspected intoxication, hardly a month after two Air Transat pilots were arrested for the same thing. So, either they're being more vigilant and pilots are routinely flying intoxicated, their equipment for testing intoxication is broken, or something about Glasgow makes pilots turn temporarily moronic, or it could just be a really uncanny coincidence. I wonder what the hell's going on?

Have you ever been to Glasgow before? Having been there before I can't fault them for being driven to drink.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

It is definitely a good CYA for any instructor; remember that a student pilot is, from a legal point of view, flying on their license. If they gently caress up, it's on the instructor's head.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Animal posted:

That's just beyond belief. Those guys must have been incredibly fatigued. I can't even fathom muscle memory failing that one...

Sheikh Mohammed: No but you see they weren't fatigued we made sure we leaked the crew's schedules and highlighted their rest periods because you see fatigue is not an endemic problem at Emirates, no sir

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

How prevalent are single-pilot IFR operations in the US? Here in Canada at least the insurance companies have made it so prohibitively expensive that it's cheaper and easier to hire a first officer.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

All this talk of pilot pay not sucking all of a sudden is making me wonder if I should just say gently caress it and get my CPL...

We've been through this before. Things still suck in Canada (at least compared to literally every other industry, that is).

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Having a commercial license can save you quite a bit of money on insurance if you own an aircraft, especially if you are a relatively low-time pilot.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Yeah it'll be a cold day in hell before that's ever allowed from a regulatory perspective.

I mean, don't people read the rules before they spout off like that? (that's a rhetorical question btw :saddowns:)

E: Just did a back of the envelope calculation; assuming this 6650-metre strip of pavement is cut into two 3000-metre runways with 650 metres of buffer between, a worst-case scenario approach where one aircraft is above another will result in less than 600 feet of vertical separation between them. Ain't happening full stop.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 23, 2016

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

SeaborneClink posted:

What the gently caress else are you going to talk about or do on the deck? Take pictures of your dong at FL40?

Well we can't all fly for British Airways now.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

This is digging into my ancient history now, but don't the 172 and most other piston aircraft typically have a recommendation (not a requirement, mind you) in the POH to lean for best power when flying out of airfields with an elevation greater than (typcially) 3000 feet?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

Please tell me the default policy is not to try and avoid disclosing medical problems when you're an airline pilot because holy poo poo that is retarded

Hey guess what! :v:

Yeah it's retarded, but when you consider that the regulator and the airlines still think and act like it's 1950 in terms of employee relations and human reaources, you can see why pilots are hesitant to declare any conditions to their doctors.

I mean basically everyone I know has done it at some point.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Jealous Cow posted:

I've been taking UA1615 quite a bit lately and every time the takeoff roll seems to be a little high in pucker-factor.

We always take off 24L, which is about 9950' feet, and the main gear doesn't leave the runway until just before the piano keys at the 6R end. We usually rotate around taxiway papa but don't leave the ground until there's almost no runway left. Then over the keys it's a hard climb for a few seconds to clear some ILS equipment and trees further along.

At max takeoff weight at near sea level a 738 needs just under 9000 feet "takeoff field length". Does that mean it actually needs 9000' to get airborne, or is that giving the minimum runway length you should attempt the takeoff on?

Im just curious because if i were watching this takeoff from outside on the field it would be one of those ones that gets posted in Aeronautical Insanity with a :stonk: I think.

For reference I'm using this performance chart:

Airport chart for reference:
http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1702/00084AD.PDF

Those charts you see typically quote what is known as a balanced field length, or "accelerate-stop distance". In other words, it is the amount of runway needed to:

-Accelerate to decision speed (V1),
-React to something going very, very wrong right before V1.
-Bring the jet to a tire-melting, screeching halt without the use of reverse thrust.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

PT6A posted:

Well, gently caress. The flight school next door (where I did my initial training a decade ago, no less) lost two instructors and one plane in a crash yesterday afternoon. I had a bad feeling about it as soon as I saw reports of the crash, since it was right in the middle of the local practice area.

Yeah, it's not good at all. I knew both of them.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Thanks guys, it does make me feel a little better.

I was thinking about this earlier today, and it's kind of startling to think that in the 13-odd years I've been a professional pilot, 8 people I've known well have died in accidents.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Desi posted:

Got my ATPL signed off and start ground school flying the Mitsubushi MU2 in Medevac Ops in a few days!

If you're flying a MU-2 in Canada, that pretty much gives away who you're working for ;) And yeah, you'll do OK there.

PT6A posted:

What about operators like Pacific Coastal, Central Mountain Air, and those sorts? Are they 704? I'll admit I haven't done a huge amount of investigation.

Yeah they're 704, but CMA you can pretty much throw out the window as they're basically under the same conditions as GGN in terms of requirements. Pacific Coastal is easier, but on the other hand you're probably living in Greater Vancouver, and LOL if you think you can do that on an entry-level pilot salary.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 2, 2017

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Desi posted:

Haha yep, don't want to advertise who it is, but it isn't a secret or anything. I know a lot of people that have gone through there and flown the MU2 that have had a good time. I have been told that 'If you cowboy it, you will die' about the plane though, so that's fun.

Yeah that about sums it up. I did the MU-2 for a few years (not out there, but for a local private operator, and not the guy out at Springbank) and the best piece of advice I can give is if you lose an engine and treat it like a piston twin, it will loving kill you dead in a heartbeat. Treat it like a jet, follow the climb schedule and you'll be just fine. Also, holy poo poo be careful rolling the aircraft in that situation - with roll spoilers rather than ailerons it can make the last few remaining minutes of your life very, uhh, eventful. Still, it was fun as gently caress to fly once you got to learn it's quirks.

I recommend a good headset as it's about the loudest loving airplane I've ever been in - dunno if it was just because I flew a short-body rather than the Marquise, if I'm honest. Hell, I would even go as far as saying you might want to consider wearing a set of musician's ear plugs underneath them if you have a long day of flying scheduled.

E: PT6A have you thought of working overseas? I get the impression that as a relatively young guy with not a lot tying you down that you could take advantage of some of the opportunities out there. I mean, it's not a world of lollipops, jets and rainbows if you're a 250-hour wonder, but if it were me in that position it would be a hell of a lot more attractive and exciting than working up in BFE Nunavut for a few years.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 2, 2017

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Arson Daily posted:

All of the long time MU-2 guys I've met have been....interesting, I guess. They all seem to have the same hunted look on their faces, like they're being chased by a rabid dog. Or maybe its the lingering effects of the goddamn TPE-331 howl seeping from their bodies.

Question: It seems to me that MU-2's always take forever to either taxi after the engines are started or to shutdown after they've taxied in. Why is that? Someone once told me it was because you had to stabilize the gearbox temps but i think it's a passive aggressive attempt to piss everyone within a 25 mile radius off.

WHAT? YOU'LL HAVE TO SPEAK UP I CAN BARELY HEAR YOU

:v:

Yeah, it's to stabilise temperatures in the gearbox and engine - the TPE-331 is susceptible to shaft bow under certain circumstances, so a proper cooldown especially is important. On startup, remember that once you switch out of ground fine those sausage grinders spin at 96-97% RPM pretty much all the time, so again a proper warmup is vital to not incinerating the bearings in the engine.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

i fly airplanes posted:

Emirates is pretty well aware of this and taking lots of precautionary measures atm. I've heard there's basically a hiring freeze

Emirates is, for a variety of reasons, turbofucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

PT6A posted:

Congratulations!

Before I embarrass myself and ask someone something that will be painfully obvious in retrospect: in the absence of additional instructions, how do you approach an unfamiliar FBO to park/get fuel? Do you just pull up to the pump like at a gas station with a car and talk with someone and/or follow any signals (that's what I'd probably default to doing), or is there some kind of defined procedure? I've fuelled at my home airport, and I've fuelled at a cardlock, but never at a large-ish airport I'm unfamiliar with.

Crack open your CFS; every FBO typically will have an advisory frequency that you should contact at some point before you arrive to let them know what you're looking for and whether or not they can accommodate you. Whether you do this in the air or not is up to you. I mean, you could even give them a call too before you leave if you really wanted, their phone numbers are in the CFS or online as well.

• Locked thread