Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Airline chat or whatever you guys are talking about is fun. Let's talk helicopter stuff.

Here is my big whale dick hook

Here's a bunch of brave souls standing in some crazy down wash. Pictured is a 4000# concrete block.

I didn't drag it through the trees, over the ground, or on any people so I'll consider it a success. It really makes you test your precision hover skills.

Here some video (not mine). Looks like it's from Kuwait if I had to guess. Just to give you an idea.

https://youtu.be/D8njIbxtoPo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
So when we do this we train a bunch of pilots at once. The rest of us ride in the back and wait our turn. You really just do a small helicopter pattern, come in, pick up the load, fly it in the same pattern, drop in the same spot. Do that over a few times, swap in a new pilot, rinse, repeat. (same instructor remains). It works well for range area training like this.

As far as guys underneath? I have no clue. But they have some balls, thats for sure. It can get gusty. I know at one point the guy in front of me almost tipped the block. We land next to them and brief face to face before we do all this. The understanding being, as soon as its hooked up, they run away. If we start coming down lower than they are comfortable (15ft-ish wheel height), they run away too.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I have my aircraft commander board on Friday. Everyone send me some good vibes this week as a I study a mountain of publications!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I passed. I've got a few sims and flights to accomplish to get the actual designation but the hardest part is done now.

I no poo poo got a "fly passengers across country" question about oxygen usage. I did not let them go hypoxic. Id say about 33% were MV-22 system related questions, 33% were OPNAV/SOP questions, and the last third tactical/threat related.

If anyone is in Boston, I'll be hosting a static display of an Osprey in Boston harbor next weekend. Come out and give me a shout.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
loving mad props to those pilots

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
How old are you? if you're smart and have good vision, military flying isn't a terrible idea. great way to get your taxpayers to pay for your flight education. plus you get to fly cool stuff and pretend you're maverick

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Anybody in Syracuse? Flying there from Wilmington today with a two plane section for a lil cross country action.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Yes! Unfortunately my plane went down in the chocks and I wasn't able to make it on timeline to come back, so the other aircraft went as a single. We do enough tactical flying that our new commanding officer said cross countries are cool now, especially since its good instrument procedure training. We do not do a lot of that.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
The Bay Minette girls just tried to friend me on facebook

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Got a call from Seymour Johnson airfield manager asking me to fill out a UFO report. He was dead serious.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Jesus it has not been a good year for the F18 community

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Our squadron is doing a mandatory no fly day in compliance with some higher directive due to all the naval aviation mishaps lately.

I land at 0100 tonight and after paperwork, debrief will probably be home at 0400. Show time, non negotiable, is 0730 tomorrow. REAL SAFE.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Slamburger posted:

Imo it's turning base to final stall/spins (or maneuvering on final) regardless of weather that dominates accidents not IMC, but that's just a guess. In IMC pilots at least know to be careful, in clear weather it's a lot easier to inadvertently exceed your skill and training.

Is this GA were talking about? I'd have to disagree. I feel like GA planes are the most stall friendly anti spin planes out there. And lots of them probably aren't certified for IMC, but their 1000 hour-over-40-years pilot definitely is!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I'm probably biased. My scariest flight experience is vertigo related in IIMC so I watch out for it especially. Everyone has their one little thing.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
The USMC has similar personnel problems. Turns out treating people like poo poo for all six years of their contract hurts your work force. I have several friends, MV22 community and otherwise, going to airlines. At least I'll always have a reference!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

overdesigned posted:

Navy medical just cleared me to return to flight. Only took 341 days :toot:

Congrats dude! What will your warm up consist of? Have fun at the sim!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Random energizer el cheap from Lowe's is what I recommend. Mine has one red setting and three white settings. Beats the gently caress out of changing lenses after preflight. Or changing lenses at all. Nothing says FOD like a little red lens somewhere in the cockpit.

Also, never ever fly if you're sick or can't clear your ears. You're asking to blow a sinus or gently caress up your ears.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Anybody at KVCV in SoCal? Made a quick run through to meet up with an Omega contract tanker. Pics are better than words I believe. Normally all our tanking is done off or KC130s-- we just got clearance, however, to tank off of 707s. Met up at the FBO to talk shop before we took off together.

Seems to be a huge transport boneyard here. At least five or six 747s, countless 707s, and countless DC10s.

Bob A Feet fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 11, 2016

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Who tells the loving AME they sprained their knee? Who tells anyone they sprained their knee?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I wouldn't disclose it but ffs don't fly until you are fully healed and aren't taking anything.

At least in the military we are required to report any surgeries to the squadron doctor and then we get downed for a certain period of time. I imagine it has to be to be the same/similar for the airlines because any good idea they have we copy.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

vessbot posted:

So what do you say when the captain complains about the rear end in a top hat controller who "slam dunked us" so bad he had to lose 300 feet in 3 miles to the FAF (on a visual) and because we have to do a descending turn he "has to hand fly it in" like friggin Neill Armstrong over the boulder field?

are you asian? nothing, because he's the loving captain. respect.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Nuggan posted:

Do any fuel gauges on planes work beyond "gas" or "no gas"? Because that's all I've seen so far.

Yeah. Like to the pound. Most planes offer insane control over their fuel systems.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Flying NC-AZ on a beeline Tuesday. Anybody on the radios headed that way?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

PT6A posted:

Cool, I always overthink this sort of thing...

The one time I didn't do a phone-ahead they didn't have enough fuel in their single truck (this was whatever FBO is at Baton Rouge) and I had to wait 2 hours while they fueled their truck at a fuel farm. I wouldn't worry about over thinking it. Besides, if you call ahead, you greatly increase your chances of free poo poo if you're buying enough gas.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

e.pilot posted:

Anyone ever work for or know anyone who has worked for Avenge Inc flying king airs overseas in combat zones doing ISR work? The pay and schedule seem pretty decent and I check off all their requirements and then some. I'm thinking about applying.

Not by that contract but I know of a few guys who've done it. Transitioning military pilots who did it for like a year for hours then hopped into the airlines.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yeah our school is if you are below half, no take-off. If you are at half, you are fine.

Seems like a stupid rule but at the same time, its simplicity is genius. If you took off full tanks and have less than have tanks when you land somewhere (assuming you did a one stopper), the possibility of you flaming out is loving huge. Easy way to safe a dumb student's life.

azflyboy posted:

I don't get it either.

Specifically, we're not allowed to accept a visual approach at night until we're established on a published portion of an instrument approach or charted visual, which doesn't work in places like SEA and PDX where they're expecting us accept the visual somewhere between the downwind and a 45 to final.

The memo didn't get into specifics, but it sounds like we had some flights get saved from CFIT by the GPWS going off, and it was happening at airports where there isn't any terrain to deal with.

Do you guys have radar altimeters?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
lol I love how every service has O-3 retention problems. The old farts don't think it's a problem now but I'm ten-twenty years when every service is lead by the idiots who stay in now, no one will be laughing.

At least you get a bonus. I was told a bonus will never happen (USMC) and I can expect to never leave a line squadron until my commitment is up. Even then, to stay in, I will need to stay in a line squadron.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Well as of yesterday USMC is officially offering cash bonuses to fixed wing and tiltrotor pilots who re-up. No disclosure on the amount but straight cash money solves lots of problems.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

overdesigned posted:

USN just grounded the T-45 fleet for a couple days. I'm never going to get my wings.

We must not endanger Mike Pence Jr!!!

are you Mike Pence Jr???

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
My question is-- why didn't the captain put a stop to that? Its his plane right? The moment I saw something physical going down back there, I'd call it off. Yeah, got it-- the dude needs to get off so the United employees can get on. But drat, take it back to the drawing board before beating the poo poo out of him.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

Just an FYI: If you hit a goose with the cockpit at 200 knots check your switches. Apparently the impact can be hard enough to pop switchlights out of the overhead panel. On a related note does anyone know where to buy some clean underwear in OMA?

Holy poo poo dude

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

PT6A posted:

I'm at the point now where I'm flying fairly consistently within flight test standards, but I feel like I'm not really improving. My cockpit management and general situational awareness is definitely getting better I'd say, but I feel like I'm still... well, thankful that the acceptable flight test standards are where they are and not a few degrees/50 feet more precise. Other than keeping a more consistent eye on things to make sure I arrest any deviations ASAP, is there anything I can do to improve that and feel more confident? Or do I just accept that, on a bumpy day, you pretty much need +/-100 ft in slow flight or steep turns?

Sounds like your scan is still developing. It will continue to develop the entire time you fly and is entirely perishable too. If I haven't flown in a while my scan usually takes a few minutes to lock on. Just keep your eyes moving rapidly in whatever pattern works for you.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I just come in and file loudly over the phone and stand in front of the TV.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Learn the fundamentals for IFR flight without GPS well when you first learn them. Just ferried an aircraft coast to coast with no GPS and it was an adventure to say the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

vessbot posted:

How many times did they try to give you direct somewhere?

Pretty often. I filed expecting to have it but lost it while spinning up so my route had me hopping airways and making really long directs between navaids. Thankfully due to a combination of tablets, moving maps, and an inertial nav system I did ok.

• Locked thread